Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Small Victory! American Chronicle Pulls Sumcad Attack Article!

Thumbs up A Small Victory! American Chronicle Pulls Sumcad Attack Article!

Some of you have followed the discussion centering around an 'article' (I use the term loosely) published at the American Chronicle ( http://AmericanChronicle.com ), authored by one Edwin A. Sumcad. In this rambling screed, Mr. Sumcad viciously slandered Ron Paul.

There were several threads on the subject here:
    http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread....ghlight=sumcad

In one of the threads, lonestarguy pointed out that the American Chronicle has a strictly-worded policy prohibiting "vitriol" in the pieces they publish. With that in mind, I sent them the following letter:

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of '76
    Dear Editors,

I understand that your editorial policy expressly prohibits vitriolic language, which you define as "language of extreme bitterness and malignancy of temper", which "includes rancor (deep-seated ill-will) and/or spiteful, poisonous, or noxious language."

I am writing to inform you of a most egregious violation of this policy on the part of a Mr. Edwin Sumcad in his attempt at an article entitled "Most Despised GOP Presidential Aspirant Used By Haters Of America To Air Chips On the Shoulder", article number 30953. In this piece of writing, Mr. Sumcad airs his grievances against Congressman Ron Paul in a very disturbing manner.

As if the title alone were not evidence of the vitriolic nature of this screed, we see that within the first two paragraphs of this piece, Mr. Sumcad refers to Dr. Paul's supporters as "incorrigible haters of America and . . . congenital bangers of whatever America represents" and likens expressions of support for Congressman Paul to a "chronic disorder" that can only be relieved when "hatred is puked out of the system".

Leaving aside his misrepresentations of Congressman Paul's message and agenda, we can see that he goes on in paragraph six to again insult Dr. Paul's supporters by likening them to "social lepers in the Bible" and saying that they "they are very toxic to American voters who abhor them".

The venom does not stop flowing at paragraph six, however. In paragraph nine he leaves off insulting Dr. Paul's supporters long enough to throw a few pot-shots at Dr. Paul himself. Here we see that he refers to the congressman as "an 'oddball' that has risen from the catacomb of Hell".

In the next paragraph he returns to slandering Dr. Paul's supporters by accusing them of being "haters of America" suffering from "chronic anxiety or OCD". Immediately after that, in the one short sentence that makes up paragraph ten, he accuses Congressman Paul's supporters of having "no brain".

In paragraph thirteen he adds bigotry to his bag of tricks when he refers to Congressman Paul's followers discussing matters of economics as "hillbillies" who "think that they had become Keynesian experts in macroeconomics overnight".

In paragraph fifteen he again accuses Dr. Paul's supporters of lacking "any brain here anyone can see" because of their stance on the continuation of military operations in Iraq.

Do you see a pattern here? The rest of the article devolves into a barely coherent mass of insults wherein we see Dr. Paul called a "scatterbrain", a "loquacious windtalker", an "extraterrestrial idol", and a "hater". Further insults are thrown at the congressman's supporters as well.

In a supreme twist of irony, near the end of this bizarre diatribe, Sumcad takes a break from spewing venom at Dr. Paul long enough to offer to offer to tutor Dr. Paul in "the rudiments of protocol, diplomatic niceties and international leadership [to refine his language as a congressman who wants to be President of the United States]" and pledges to help provide the congressman with a "special makeover" of "his vulgar public persona".

As if the clear vitriol were not bad enough, the sheer number of typographical, grammatical, and idiomatic errors found in the article do no service to the American Chronicle's editorial reputation. This is certainly not an article of which your publication can be proud.

I hope that you will stand by your editorial standards, as this is without doubt a clear violation of your policy regarding vitriol. I urge you to take steps to protect your reputation as a credible journalistic publication by removing this article from your archives and/or printing an apology to Congressman Paul and his numerous supporters.

Thank you for your consideration.

Most sincerely,
    etc. etc. etc.

As of this morning, I still hadn't heard back from them, so I sent them another message:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of '76
    Dear Editors,

As I have not yet received a response indicating whether or not you plan to uphold your own editorial policy regarding vitriol in this case, I am forwarding my original letter to you, as it might have escaped your attention the first time.

I will also be opening this letter up and forwarding it to the Society of Professional Journalists, the International Press Institute, the Organization of News Ombudsmen, a number of popular blogs, and a number of top Journalism Schools around the country. Don't you agree that this would make an excellent case study for students learning about journalistic ethics?

Thanks again for your consideration. I look forward to your acknowledgment that you intend to stand by the standards that you yourself have set for works included in your publication.

Most sincerely,
    etc. etc. etc.

Well, it seems to have done the trick! I just got home to find two responses from the American Chronicle.

The first simply said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge at the American Chronicle
    We have removed his opinion piece and are considering a denial of account
    privileges.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/art...rticleID=30953

- Jorge

Support Staff
    American Chronicle | California Chronicle
    http://www.AmericanChronicle.com
    http://www.CaliforniaChronicle.com
    PO Box 6158
    Beverly Hills, CA 90212

The second was even better:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge at the American Chronicle
    Thanks for this. As mentioned in a previous email, we have removed the
    opinion piece. We do NOT want opinion articles like the one Mr. Sumcad
    provided released on our site, and we are considering the denial of his
    account privileges because he has been trouble before. We appreciate and
    welcome your intention to forward your letter (and our replies) to any
    organizations that will improve the journalism profession. We hope that
    when/if they do carry your letter, they will also use our policy (and
    response to violations of that policy) as a model for other websites. We
    only regret that the opinion piece had to appear on our site in the first
    place. We know that there are many other places on the Internet where his
    articles appear. Nevertheless, we do NOT want them on OUR site. Thank you
    for taking the time to alert us. We hope you use the deletion of the Sumcad
    article for as much "mileage" as you can for your candidate. You may publish
    our response any place you wish.

- Jorge

Support Staff
    American Chronicle | California Chronicle
    http://www.AmericanChronicle.com
    http://www.CaliforniaChronicle.com
    PO Box 6158
    Beverly Hills, CA 90212
    I love it! It's these small victories that keep us going.
    Last edited by Spirit of '76; 07-03-2007 at 07:59 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ah! And look what it says when you visit the page where the article was:

Quote Originally Posted by American Chroncicle
    Upon review by our Editorial Board, this article has been deleted because it did not meet the demanding requirements of our Editorial Policy. The candidacy of Ron Paul is an item of interest and we solicit responsible articles on the subject of his candidacy. For more information, please visit our Writers Wanted page.

Thank you for your attention.

I think I'll write an article for submission!

I also sent them a message thanking them for their integrity in standing by their editorial policy and assuring them that I would forward their response to everyone who received my letter.

Great job. You've got a hell of a handle on the language, by the way.

Awesome, you guys did great.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” - Thomas Jefferson

That's a great development and I have a lot of respect for the American Chronicle for making the decision that they did instead of just circling the wagons. Also, the Sumcad article was really awful not solely because of its acidic opinion but just plain old poorly written and edited.
    "When Saddam flew that plane into those buildings, I knew it was time to kick some Iranian ass!" -cheer leading, flag waving American

Thumbs up

Yeah! That's awesome! And I am very impressed with your letters; they are written very well. This may be a good opportunity to get a positive article in the tides of the MSM. Go for it!

Supporting Member
    Missouri

Blog Entries
    WHOO HOOO!!! victory indeed
    whats his email address..ill write him a thank you as well

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks, folks.

I think they knew that Sumcad's article was indefensible. I wonder if they will pull his publishing privileges.

I also encourage anyone who wants to write an article for submission there to go for it. Just make sure you stick to the facts, keep it positive, and don't give anyone an excuse to complain about us.

Here's the page for submissions:
    http://www.americanchronicle.com/not...ubmit_info.asp

roxic27, here's the email address:
    supportstaff@amchron.com

They did the right thing here, guys, so if you send 'em an email, be nice.

GREAT JOB!!!!

Did they pull all 3 of his Ron Paul hate articles?

He had two more posted a couple days before that one......

Quote Originally Posted by buffalokid777 View Post
    GREAT JOB!!!!

Did they pull all 3 of his Ron Paul hate articles?

He had two more posted a couple days before that one......
    Thanks.

The "Politics of the Cave" article is still there, but while it's pretty opinionated, it doesn't quite sink to the mudslinging of the one that got pulled.

If someone else wants to dissect that one for them, go ahead. I'm gonna hold off on making a nuisance of myself for the time being and see if I can't get an article or two published.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of '76 View Post
    Thanks, folks.

I think they knew that Sumcad's article was indefensible. I wonder if they will pull his publishing privileges.

I also encourage anyone who wants to write an article for submission there to go for it. Just make sure you stick to the facts, keep it positive, and don't give anyone an excuse to complain about us.

Here's the page for submissions:
    http://www.americanchronicle.com/not...ubmit_info.asp

roxic27, here's the email address:
    supportstaff@amchron.com

They did the right thing here, guys, so if you send 'em an email, be nice.
    SpiritOf76

Alert them to his other Ron Paul hate opinion piece if you haven't located here.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/art...rticleID=30759

GREAT JOB ON GETTING THE MOST DESPISED GOP ON PULLED!

I swear when I read those...you could see flames shooting out my ears I was so Mad....

GLAD THAT GARBAGE IS GONE!

Thanks.

The "Politics of the Cave" article is still there, but while it's pretty opinionated, it doesn't quite sink to the mudslinging of the one that got pulled.

If someone else wants to dissect that one for them, go ahead. I'm gonna hold off on making a nuisance of myself for the time being and see if I can't get an article or two published.
    Allright I'll dissect it and see what I can do!

that is how it's done!

That is a superb example of how to win this presidency! I salute you! OUTSTANDING!!!!

The power of the pen.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    great work...looks like they canned Mr Scumbag

In this rambling screed, Mr. Sumcad viciously slandered Ron Paul.
    I apologize for being such a pedant, but since it was written he libeled Paul.

Ah! And look what it says when you visit the page where the article was:

I think I'll write an article for submission!

I also sent them a message thanking them for their integrity in standing by their editorial policy and assuring them that I would forward their response to everyone who received my letter.
    Hahaha! Great job pal! Write an article.

Best Regards
    Randy

Excellent! Nice job!

I wish I could write as good...er as well...er....

Well anyway nicely done

Thanks, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesogen View Post
    I apologize for being such a pedant, but since it was written he libeled Paul.
    Per the legal definition, I suppose you're right.

Speaking colloquially, though, I think "slander" fits well enough. My dictionary offers this definition:
    Slander

Verb [ trans. ] make false and damaging statements about (someone) : they were accused of slandering the head of state. See note at malign .
    But your objection is duly noted. I'll be more careful in the future.

Wow - that was well-written - to the point - and following that first link, would lead me to believe that they wish they had a writer so eloquent as you, Spirit of '76.

Thanks for keeping up our end of the fight, and how.

Angry

did any of you check out his previous message that is still published?

http://www.americanchronicle.com/art...rticleID=30759

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thanks again, guys. Just glad to do a little bit to help our Dr. Paul, even if it isn't much.

wolv275, I think buffalokid777 is working on taking that one apart and is going to report it to them. Besides, I'm hoping they'll pull his publishing privileges totally.

word, i feel totally safe and at home in the house of RP techies LOL

Great work!

With brains like this on our side... its almost not fair for the other guys.
    I just put up my first sign tonight!!! I'm so excited.

WOW, you are a great writer Spirit of 76. Your letter was very succinct and articulate, you should be definitely consider writing opinion pieces or a blog if you dont already. Great job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast