Thread: Are Women Malcontents?

Exclamation Are Women Malcontents?

Are Women Malcontents?

https://amgreatness.com/2019/04/09/a...n-malcontents/

By Dennis Prager|April 9th, 2019

I have decided to finally read what is widely regarded as the literary work that unleashed the modern feminist movement, Betty Friedan’s “The Feminine Mystique.”

I am halfway through the book, and I find it to be a well-written cri de coeur (cry from the heart). Historically speaking, there was always much to lament regarding the status of women. Though I have none of the contempt Friedan has for “housewifery,” her description of women who felt they had no sense of self because they were only someone’s wife and some children’s mother is emotionally compelling.

But a big and troubling thought hit me while reading the book. In the 56 years since “The Feminine Mystique” was published, every complaint Friedan made regarding the situation of the American woman has been addressed. Few American women are forced into “housewifery.” The few women who choose to place marriage and home over career have truly chosen to do so; it is the rare young woman for whom marriage and family are greater goals than a successful career. Nor do women any longer go from high school to the wedding chapel. They go from high school to college and often graduate school. In fact, far more women go to college than men.

Yet, if you were to listen to many American women today, you would think nothing has improved. Every women’s group and millions of individual women say women are “oppressed” despite the fact that virtually nothing remains of the “feminine mystique” described by Friedan.

In January 2017, between 3 and 5 million American women took part in the Women’s March, widely regarded as the largest number of Americans to participate in a single-day march in the nation’s history. A year later, millions of American women again participated in the Women’s March in marches around the country.

Feminist groups describe the state of American women in dire terms. Young middle-class and upper-class women, many attending the most expensive universities—paid for by their parents—are among the greatest malcontents in American life.

In fact, women today, including young women, who lead lives the very opposite of those described in “The Feminine Mystique,” are about twice as likely to be depressed as men. And that statistic is true for women across all economic, racial and ethnic groups.

So, then, what was my big and troubling thought?

If women are as likely—perhaps more likely—to complain about being oppressed today when they aren’t oppressed as they did when they were oppressed, and if women today are nearly twice as likely as men to be depressed, and if women at elite colleges—where they are pampered and more assured a financially successful future than most men living now or who lived in the past—are particularly angry and malcontented, simple logic suggests two choices: Either women remain as oppressed as in the past, or women tend to be malcontents.

Given that the reality is that American women—especially the ones who do the most complaining—are not oppressed, we are left to conclude that the female of the human species may tend toward being malcontents. The simple-minded will respond to this exactly as they were indoctrinated to respond—not by asking, “Is it true?” but by accusing the person who offers this suggestion of sexism and misogyny.

So, allow me to respond in advance: This is no more an attack on women than describing men’s nature as aggressive is an attack on men. Each sex has built-in issues that an individual has to overcome in order to develop into a mature and good person. Men have to deal with aggression and the sexual predatory aspect of male nature in order to develop into mature and good men. Women have to overcome the power of their emotions and their chronic malcontentedness in order to mature into good women. But in our disordered society—a society that has rejected wisdom—in raising their children, two generations of Americans have told only their sons, not their daughters, that they had to fight their nature. The feminization of society has brought with it the destructive notion that only males have to suppress their nature. Feminists really believe females are superior, so why would women have to fight any aspect of their inherently beautiful nature?

Finally, this helps explain why one would consider the left feminine and the right masculine. Though life in America is a blessing for the vast majority of its citizens, the left constantly complains about America. Indeed, the better America gets, the louder the left’s complaints about America—about its racism, sexism, misogyny, homophobia, bigotry, xenophobia, inequality, systemic bias, etc. The right, on the other hand, regards life’s difficulties as inherent to life, not inherent to America’s flaws, and doesn’t much complain. Like men, conservatives complain less than liberals. And just as male and female feminists demand that American men complain more—that their lack of complaining is a form of “toxic masculinity”—the American left demands that Americans complain more.

All these women’s marches and angry women at colleges probably tell us more about women’s nature than about American sexism.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Malcontents ? Yes , most are . I blame all of you for coddling them . I have Mrs O at work out in the sweat shop while I am here loafing in my leather chair .
    Do something Danke

Better to live in the desert than with a contentious and ill-tempered wife.
    It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a wide house.
    A foolish son is his father's ruin, and a quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping.
    Yup.
    contrast with.

Proverbs 31:10-31
    Who can find a virtuous woman?
    Last edited by pcosmar; 04-11-2019 at 02:32 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Mine seemed pretty content when I left this morning.
    "The Patriarch"

Gross generalizations, of course. If we go by Myers Briggs T vs F statistics, you could say that it’s a 75/25 split. 25% of men are F, 75% of women are F.

Considering that this is the era of victimhood, the question could also be posed as to whether it easier to convince emotion biased people that they are victims. Even if logically the case in the OP can be made that women are no longer disadvantaged in the ways that they were, is that convincing in the face of the emotional argument of oppression and victimhood?

Another aspect is the traditional role of families. If a married woman has complaints (or honey-do lists), it is the responsibility of the husband to either do them, or make a case that they are not possible. With single women or a special interest lobbies, there is no longer the limiting factor of what the husband is able to do, can’t do, or won’t do. Government is now the husband, and there are no natural limits on how much money can be spent (or printed) or how unrealistic the demands can become. Government promises to do everything (an impossibility). Combine that with a victimhood culture, and you have our current situation.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Victimhood is divisive. Feminists keep propagating the lie to keep division and thus secure their status as a preferred class.
    Last edited by euphemia; 04-11-2019 at 05:02 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I don't have a woman so I can't say for sure.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The feminist victimhood mentality does not accept women like me. As long as you all continue to pay them any heed, you will be hearing from only a small minority of women, and you will be keeping alive the idea that specific groups deserve special rights. Not to mention believing a lot of the lies the gender feminists perpetuate.
    #NashvilleStrong

Been my experience, many are looking for something better, even when they know they are not supposed to be.

A husband isn't supposed to be like a job, where you're always looking for something better.

I think a lot of men fit that category. Marries, has kids, finds younger, prettier version of the wife that put up with his crap and bore his children, and he’s off.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I think a lot of men fit that category. Marries, has kids, finds younger, prettier version of the wife that put up with his crap and bore his children, and he’s off.
    Divorce is overwhelmingly instituted by the woman...

My wife used to complain a lot.

Key word is, used to
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Divorce is overwhelmingly instituted by the woman...
    I'd divorce my wife if I didnt have young kids. In fact, I'm pretty damn sure I will once they're 18 - but that's a ways away.

My wife changed for the worse in many ways, after only a few years of marriage, maybe she'll change back - LOL, not likely.

When you're dating, you lie to each other. When you're married, you lie to yourself.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post

Key word is, used to
    Called it:

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The Texican isn't worried about that:

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Key word is, used to
    There is a name for that. it’s called runaway wife syndrome. If she stops complaining, she has emotionally checked out and probably has an exit strategy underway.
    #NashvilleStrong

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There is a name for that. it’s called runaway wife syndrome. If she stops complaining, she has emotionally checked out and probably has an exit strategy underway.
    So that explains why I've been so happy lately.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

So that explains why I've been so happy lately.
    And watching your bank account shrinking?
    #NashvilleStrong

And watching your bank account shrinking?
    Nothing in there, all of my money is tied up in investments. Like the big screen TV I just bought.
    - Kim Kardashian