Thread: Low Fat Dairy Actually Isn't Better For You, A Study Shows

Low Fat Dairy Actually Isn't Better For You, A Study Shows

Eating plans like the keto diet have educated us all on the whole "good fat" thing, but people still tend to absent-mindedly reach forskim milk, fat-free yogurt, "light" cream cheese, low-fat cheese, and so on. But some genius scientists just published a new study that suggests saturated dairy fat isn't as harmful as we have come to believe.The new research, conducted by the University of Texas' School of Public Health, was published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The study shows that consuming saturated dairy fat has no significant link to cardiovascular health. The scientists followed 2,907 65-and-older American adults with no cardiovascular issues for a period of 22 years, tracking their saturated fat consumption over time.
    The study took blood samples from participants, which were used to measure their fatty acid levels. Those served as an indicator of risk for cardiovascular disease and strokes. By identifying dairy-specific fatty acids, researchers were able to study the relationship between dairy fat consumption and health outcomes. "Overall, our findings do not support harmful associations of dairy fat consumption for incident CVD events later in life," says Marcia Otto, lead author and assistant professor of epidemiology, human genetics, and environmental sciences at UT's School of Public Health.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/low-...210200500.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes for over 40 years they have been telling us to eat low fat/no fat diets and telling us high cholesterol is the outcome. We are seeing a lot more people with dementia and alzheimer's at very young ages. The brain is made up of 25% cholesterol, if you decrease it with Statins the brain shrinks. In order for Vitamin D to synthesize in the body it needs cholesterol. Good saturated fat is what the body needs.

Your Brain Needs Cholesterol
    Cholesterol is vitally important for brain function. While your brain represents about 2-3% of your total body weight, 25% of the cholesterol in your body is found in your brain, where it plays important roles in such things as membrane function, acts as an antioxidant, and serves as the raw material from which we are able to make things like progesterone, estrogen, cortisol, testosterone and even vitamin D.

In fact, in a recent study available on the NIH Public Access site, researchers showed that in the elderly, the best memory function was observed in those with the highest levels of cholesterol. Low cholesterol is associated with an increased risk for depression and even death.

This understanding of the important role of cholesterol in brain function raises concern as we now see changes in recommendations for prescribing statin medication. Some estimates indicate that moving forward, the number of individuals taking statins to lower cholesterol in America may actually double! This presents a worrisome proposition for brain health.
    https://www.drperlmutter.com/brain-needs-cholesterol/

The low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet… may well have played an unintended role in the current epidemics of obesity, lipid abnormalities, type 2 diabetes, and metabolic syndromes. This diet can no longer be defended by appeal to the authority of prestigious medical organizations.
    https://chriskresser.com/the-diet-he...not-the-enemy/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

On the other hand, they did find a correlation with other causes of death. https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advanc...cdbf#118685082 (correlation is not necessarily causation).

Conclusions

Long-term exposure to circulating phospholipid pentadecanoic, heptadecanoic, or trans-palmitoleic acids was not significantly associated with total mortality or incident CVD among older adults. High circulating heptadecanoic acid was inversely associated with CVD and stroke mortality and potentially associated with higher risk of non-CVD death.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    On the other hand, they did find a correlation with other causes of death. https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advanc...cdbf#118685082 (correlation is not necessarily causation).
    Read the first line zip:

Long-term exposure to circulating phospholipid pentadecanoic, heptadecanoic, or trans-palmitoleic acids was not significantly associated with total mortality

It may change what you die from but it doesn't make you more likely to die, in the meantime it makes you live a healthier life.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I've said this before but I'll say it again. I find it a little too "coincidental" that as more and more people are ditching dairy, we are now seeing more "studies" finding that dairy is healthy, fat and lard and things like that are great for you, yada yada yada.

It is a fact that the government subsidizes the dairy industry, and it appears that the organization that funded this study is a government organization…So in light of that, and in light of the fact that the dairy industry is slowly dying, I don't give this "research" much weight. But one thing is for damn sure... People love hearing good things about their bad habits.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    I've said this before but I'll say it again. I find it a little too "coincidental" that as more and more people are ditching dairy, we are now seeing more "studies" finding that dairy is healthy, fat and lard and things like that are great for you, yada yada yada.

It is a fact that the government subsidizes the dairy industry, and it appears that the organization that funded this study is a government organization…So in light of that, and in light of the fact that the dairy industry is slowly dying, I don't give this "research" much weight. But one thing is for damn sure... People love hearing good things about their bad habits.
    How is eating one of the most nutritional foods on earth a bad habit? Babies grow fast as hell, they need all the nutrition they can get and milk is packed densely with good, total nutrition. Some people haven't evolved to digest it once past a certain age, although there is evidence that if you eat it regularly your body may adapt to eating it in fairly short order. It's just a matter of your body producing lactase.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

People knew milk was healthy for centuries before government lied about fat, now the truth is surfacing again.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I feel like I've been lied to for years. Now if I buy dairy, it is nothing but full fat products. Better taste. Better value. More natural.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Fat's where it's at

I always go for the high fat, 4% cottage cheese, milk & whatnot.

Party at the Pocatello Idaho square dance barn that our biker friends The Empties hosted. Animal sings Dare To Be Fat by Root Boy Slim and The Sex Change Band and the dance floor erupts in a near earth quake...Belt Drive Live
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    I feel like I've been lied to for years. Now if I buy dairy, it is nothing but full fat products. Better taste. Better value. More natural.
    2% is relatively natural as well, that is how much fat is left if non-homogenized milk is allowed to sit until the cream separates.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I don't eat much dairy anymore but when I do, I go full fat. The low fat isn't very good and the fat free is downright disgusting. I made the mistake of buying FF sour cream once and *gag*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I made the mistake of buying FF sour cream once and *gag*.
    Who eats this crap?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Who eats this crap?
    I dunno. It's nasty .
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    How is eating one of the most nutritional foods on earth a bad habit? Babies grow fast as hell, they need all the nutrition they can get and milk is packed densely with good, total nutrition. Some people haven't evolved to digest it once past a certain age, although there is evidence that if you eat it regularly your body may adapt to eating it in fairly short order. It's just a matter of your body producing lactase.
    lily has a strong bias against dairy. She's got a thread around here somewhere about it called "dairy is scary" or something like that. Since her arguments center more around ethos and pathos, you probably won't do well appealing to *just* logos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I dunno. It's nasty .
    THIS^^^ It's soooo bad. Last time I had it, it tasted rather plastic-like.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I don't eat much dairy anymore but when I do, I go full fat. The low fat isn't very good and the fat free is downright disgusting. I made the mistake of buying FF sour cream once and *gag*.
    Flavor Free ?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Flavor Free ?
    Flavor free would be an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    People knew milk was healthy for centuries before government lied about fat, now the truth is surfacing again.
    It's healthy if you're a baby cow. Just like human breast milk is healthy for a baby. But contrary to what we've been indoctrinated to believe, there is absolutely no need to drink cow breastmilk, and tons of reasons not to. Any nutrients that you want to get from it, you can get in other sources, minus the hormones, antibiotics, as well as components that increase the risk of certain types of cancer. Plus, it causes inflammation, phlegm, and for a lot of people, other health issues. For crying out loud, something like 75% of the worlds population cannot drink milk. If it truly was a healthy food for humans, then do you really think that 3/4ths of the worlds population wouldn't be able to consume it?

Plus, every time you drink milk you are supporting taking a calf away from his mother. I know that most of you guys don't care about that, but it needs to be said. You support stealing a baby and the milk that was supposed to be for that baby, which causes continual distress and to both the mother and the calf. And that's just the beginning of it, the cruelty continues from that point on. Since you don't need it for your health, and since it absolutely is not as healthy as we've been told, quite the opposite… And since with every glass of milk you are supporting cruelty, why do it? Why do it when there are alternatives that are healthier and taste better? Without the pus, without the hormones, without the misery. Thankfully, the dairy industry is slowly dying, as more and more people are realizing the truth.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

It's healthy if you're a baby cow. Just like human breast milk is healthy for a baby. But contrary to what we've been indoctrinated to believe, there is absolutely no need to drink cow breastmilk, and tons of reasons not to. Any nutrients that you want to get from it, you can get in other sources, minus the hormones, antibiotics, as well as components that increase the risk of certain types of cancer. Plus, it causes inflammation, phlegm, and for a lot of people, other health issues. For crying out loud, something like 75% of the worlds population cannot drink milk. If it truly was a healthy food for humans, then do you really think that 3/4ths of the worlds population wouldn't be able to consume it?

Plus, every time you drink milk you are supporting taking a calf away from his mother. I know that most of you guys don't care about that, but it needs to be said. You support stealing a baby and the milk that was supposed to be for that baby, which causes continual distress and to both the mother and the calf. And that's just the beginning of it, the cruelty continues from that point on. Since you don't need it for your health, and since it absolutely is not as healthy as we've been told, quite the opposite… And since with every glass of milk you are supporting cruelty, why do it? Why do it when there are alternatives that are healthier and taste better? Without the pus, without the hormones, without the misery. Thankfully, the dairy industry is slowly dying, as more and more people are realizing the truth.
    IDK why you'd assume I like to drink milk. (I drink water most of the time) I don't care for it and haven't had it for years. My dairy is limited to greek yogurt, cheese, and sour cream. It's true that dairy is inflammatory, but so are simple grains-and dairy has protein and doesn't trigger a significant, problematic insulin response. (that's one reason why whey is a popular protein supplement)

I wonder how much (if any) they did on grass fed cow's milk.. which tastes worlds better than the mass market counterpart
    Last edited by opal; 07-22-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typo
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Indeed. So it all still depends on a person.