Thread: John Taylor Gatto - The Purpose Of Schooling (in America)

John Taylor Gatto - The Purpose Of Schooling (in America)

When we fully understand the actual purpose of Schooling, we can see that the apparent systemic failure of public education is the desired outcome. Our conditions of "failure" are different than "failure" as defined by the ruling class. We have an expectation that "the purpose of school is to educate our children", so public schools fail by our definition, but more importantly, it does NOT fail the purpose of the ruling class. The purpose of public school by the true rulers of this country is to break children so that they can be molded into conformity in a manner that completely serves those rulers. Public school achieves the goals of those rulers with almost 100% success, so by their definition, school does not fail, it is a WIN. And that is why things will NEVER get better in our education system until we have a Paradigm Shift.

Purpose #1: Create FIXED habits of reaction to authority

Watch the vid for the rest. It explains it better so we dont end up with tl;dr folks getting bored and losing interest.
    Last edited by DamianTV; 02-01-2018 at 03:46 PM.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gatto is awesome.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Gatto is awesome.
    Absolutely awesome!

I've met him and consulted with him & he's very real and very amazing.

And I'd plus rep you again @DamianTV, if I could!
    There is no spoon.

Did anybody ever try to refute this video? Shouldn't we have a conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Absolutely awesome!

Was?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Did anybody ever try to refute this video? Shouldn't we have a conversation?
    I dont think there is anything refutable in the video. It could be the way the information is presented, but at some level, I think we all know this to be true. We have been able to out all the naysayers here who think that everything govt does is completely legitimate, so those folks arent here to call "Conspiracy Theory" when challenged with this information. Hell, even those naysayers must understand that what our public schools do for us is awful, and are only designed to serve the type of industry that benefits the rich by turning children into their "workforce".

Im not refuting any of the facts. Perhaps what we should be doing is asking ourselves and each other how to teach and learn without falling into the trap of following their models?

FREEDOM

Perhaps one of the things we need to understand is the Major Differences between a system of teaching that allows students to learn and become independent and compare it to a system of education (not learning) that traps the mind in itself and prevents growing beyond the intent of those that benefit. Public education is intended to teach people just enough to enable them to use a tool or "push a button" but never enough so that they think and ask "is this the right tool for the job"? Another series of videos addresses that problem to show that the method of education is an Input Output system of learning. "Classical" Learning is achieved by the Trivium, which is Input, Logic, Output. The Logic step is eliminated, thus, school trains people to never challenge the system by teaching dependency on authority, everything is hard, obedience, confusion, compartmentalization, categorization, and a blind adherence to a social caste that is reinforced by those who are indoctrinated. This information could also be quite wrong, and we should at least entertain the idea there are flaws in it.

SCHOOL

Input + Logic + Output = FREEDOM
    Input + Output = SLAVERY

"The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth." It is funny how often that phrase is quoted, but how often it seems to legitimately apply. So lets challenge my idea, that I am also repeating, test it, see if we can make it fail, so that if we are unsuccessful in defeating the idea, we should at least temporarily entertain that the idea holds true. For me, it mostly holds true, but, has a few holes in it.

When I first heard about the Trivium (Input + Logic + Output), it was stated that we dont really have any control over the Input. That is sort of true. We can choose either to listen or not listen, but both of those behaviors fall easily into the category of predictable. However, lets look at it from the point of view of a student, where every class teaches the exact same thing. Students do NOT get a choice to control the Input they receive from the world because every class teaches the exact same things, starting with Obedience. When LOGIC is fully eliminated, and students are taught that the only acceptable answers are the ones that are in the back of the book, logic is eliminated and skipped, which controls the Output of the student and molds them into "Obedient Workers". Output that is predictable can be profitable even to students and people that resist because Private Prisons are just as profitable to a different subset of the filthy rich as an employee whose soul is owned by whatever soulless corporation they allow themselves to be enslaved to.

Logic must be where freedom exists. At least according to the Trivium, as it is the only opportunity a person has to become unpredictable and ask questions that students are taught not to ask. I think a very good example of the results of this is peoples reaction to religion. If a non religious person and a religious person exist, their patterns of arguments are absolutely predictable on both sides, where neither side is willing to apply logic to consider the other side might be correct due to a bias each side has with their point of view. Very little Logic is applied from either side and both do their best to reject the ideas of the other. The consequence of what happens is also predictable, conflict that can be turned into profit. If a discussion escalates, then one side will usually attack the other side. To make that situation profitable, arm both sides and offer to imprison one or both, as that is also profitable. That level of conflict doesnt always happen, so for a controller to benefit, they sometimes have to goad those with the potential to cause conflict to the point they are willing to cause problems by spoonfeeding them ideas that support their bias on both sides. This is partly how the MSM also works, it spoonfeeds those that do not think with a series of arguments that these types of people in conflict will parrot at each other in order for that conflict to be sustained. Resolution is NOT the goal, but the only thing that would free both of these people in a heated argument is Logic, to step back and look at who is benefiting from their argument.

The deeper trouble is that it seems we do NOT have "the big picture". George Carlin stabs at this by saying "there is a reason that education sucks, and it will never get better, and that is because the owners, the real owners of this country do not want that". And he is right. Although Carlin (RIP) may have understood the big picture himself, he is was able to convey the idea of the big picture to his audience due to the audiences trained inability to apply logic to Carlins statements. So its not a failure of Carlin himself. Thing is, Gatto has a big part of the big picture, but not the whole picture, as so far as I have seen, his teachings havent said much about the Trivium. The guy that expressed the greek idea of the Trivium (again, Input + Logic + Output as a form of learning) did not say anything about what Gatto had to say in how school achieves its goals for the owners of the country. Carlin also understood that education sucks, but did not express any specifics how the methods of education had twisted, only to say that a person needs to be able to "think critically" and "challenge the bull$#@! of authority". Another fantastic person that has some major parts of this Big Idea is Charlotte Iserbyt; the head of policy at the Department of Education during the first administration of Ronald Reagan.

I think there really is a Bigger Picture here, and if we are to overcome the consequences of the Public Education model on the minds of the people, that Big Picture needs to be fully understood so we can correct each and every part of the system of control.

Perhaps that is the conversation we should aim to have?

---

This is another pretty interesting video on How it works and why we have goals, but also leaves out the Big Picture that includes the real concepts brought up by Gatto, Iserbyt, Carlin, and others. At the end of the vid, there is mention of a "part 2" but I havent been able to find it. Google probably took it down, like MANY videos I had bookmarked....

---

Edit for Quoting @Ender

Absolutely awesome!

Thats cool, can you share what he taught you?

As far as Rep, you have to give Rep to like 6 other people before you can give it to someone again...
    Last edited by DamianTV; 02-02-2018 at 05:27 PM.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Elimination of logic results in a system where you can not sue the company even if your boss is as stupid as Maxine - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...upid-as-Maxine

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Elimination of logic results in a system where you can not sue the company even if your boss is as stupid as Maxine - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...upid-as-Maxine
    First read: Dumbing Us Down by Gatto.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    I dont think there is anything refutable in the video. It could be the way the information is presented, but at some level, I think we all know this to be true. We have been able to out all the naysayers here who think that everything govt does is completely legitimate, so those folks arent here to call "Conspiracy Theory" when challenged with this information. Hell, even those naysayers must understand that what our public schools do for us is awful, and are only designed to serve the type of industry that benefits the rich by turning children into their "workforce".

Im not refuting any of the facts. Perhaps what we should be doing is asking ourselves and each other how to teach and learn without falling into the trap of following their models?

FREEDOM

Perhaps one of the things we need to understand is the Major Differences between a system of teaching that allows students to learn and become independent and compare it to a system of education (not learning) that traps the mind in itself and prevents growing beyond the intent of those that benefit. Public education is intended to teach people just enough to enable them to use a tool or "push a button" but never enough so that they think and ask "is this the right tool for the job"? Another series of videos addresses that problem to show that the method of education is an Input Output system of learning. "Classical" Learning is achieved by the Trivium, which is Input, Logic, Output. The Logic step is eliminated, thus, school trains people to never challenge the system by teaching dependency on authority, everything is hard, obedience, confusion, compartmentalization, categorization, and a blind adherence to a social caste that is reinforced by those who are indoctrinated. This information could also be quite wrong, and we should at least entertain the idea there are flaws in it.

SCHOOL

Input + Logic + Output = FREEDOM
    Input + Output = SLAVERY

"The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth." It is funny how often that phrase is quoted, but how often it seems to legitimately apply. So lets challenge my idea, that I am also repeating, test it, see if we can make it fail, so that if we are unsuccessful in defeating the idea, we should at least temporarily entertain that the idea holds true. For me, it mostly holds true, but, has a few holes in it.

When I first heard about the Trivium (Input + Logic + Output), it was stated that we dont really have any control over the Input. That is sort of true. We can choose either to listen or not listen, but both of those behaviors fall easily into the category of predictable. However, lets look at it from the point of view of a student, where every class teaches the exact same thing. Students do NOT get a choice to control the Input they receive from the world because every class teaches the exact same things, starting with Obedience. When LOGIC is fully eliminated, and students are taught that the only acceptable answers are the ones that are in the back of the book, logic is eliminated and skipped, which controls the Output of the student and molds them into "Obedient Workers". Output that is predictable can be profitable even to students and people that resist because Private Prisons are just as profitable to a different subset of the filthy rich as an employee whose soul is owned by whatever soulless corporation they allow themselves to be enslaved to.

Logic must be where freedom exists. At least according to the Trivium, as it is the only opportunity a person has to become unpredictable and ask questions that students are taught not to ask. I think a very good example of the results of this is peoples reaction to religion. If a non religious person and a religious person exist, their patterns of arguments are absolutely predictable on both sides, where neither side is willing to apply logic to consider the other side might be correct due to a bias each side has with their point of view. Very little Logic is applied from either side and both do their best to reject the ideas of the other. The consequence of what happens is also predictable, conflict that can be turned into profit. If a discussion escalates, then one side will usually attack the other side. To make that situation profitable, arm both sides and offer to imprison one or both, as that is also profitable. That level of conflict doesnt always happen, so for a controller to benefit, they sometimes have to goad those with the potential to cause conflict to the point they are willing to cause problems by spoonfeeding them ideas that support their bias on both sides. This is partly how the MSM also works, it spoonfeeds those that do not think with a series of arguments that these types of people in conflict will parrot at each other in order for that conflict to be sustained. Resolution is NOT the goal, but the only thing that would free both of these people in a heated argument is Logic, to step back and look at who is benefiting from their argument.

The deeper trouble is that it seems we do NOT have "the big picture". George Carlin stabs at this by saying "there is a reason that education sucks, and it will never get better, and that is because the owners, the real owners of this country do not want that". And he is right. Although Carlin (RIP) may have understood the big picture himself, he is was able to convey the idea of the big picture to his audience due to the audiences trained inability to apply logic to Carlins statements. So its not a failure of Carlin himself. Thing is, Gatto has a big part of the big picture, but not the whole picture, as so far as I have seen, his teachings havent said much about the Trivium. The guy that expressed the greek idea of the Trivium (again, Input + Logic + Output as a form of learning) did not say anything about what Gatto had to say in how school achieves its goals for the owners of the country. Carlin also understood that education sucks, but did not express any specifics how the methods of education had twisted, only to say that a person needs to be able to "think critically" and "challenge the bull$#@! of authority". Another fantastic person that has some major parts of this Big Idea is Charlotte Iserbyt; the head of policy at the Department of Education during the first administration of Ronald Reagan.

I think there really is a Bigger Picture here, and if we are to overcome the consequences of the Public Education model on the minds of the people, that Big Picture needs to be fully understood so we can correct each and every part of the system of control.

Perhaps that is the conversation we should aim to have?

---

This is another pretty interesting video on How it works and why we have goals, but also leaves out the Big Picture that includes the real concepts brought up by Gatto, Iserbyt, Carlin, and others. At the end of the vid, there is mention of a "part 2" but I havent been able to find it. Google probably took it down, like MANY videos I had bookmarked....

---

Edit for Quoting @Ender

Thats cool, can you share what he taught you?

As far as Rep, you have to give Rep to like 6 other people before you can give it to someone again...
    Gatto came to our freedom school & thought it was outstanding. He was at one time Teacher of the Year in NY but then realized that kids in public school were not being "taught" but being indoctrinated.

My whole philosophy on the public system & freedom in learning started with him.

(And I thought I had covered a few more reps but apparently not enough. )
    There is no spoon.

Gatto came to our freedom school & thought it was outstanding. He was at one time Teacher of the Year in NY but then realized that kids in public school were not being "taught" but being indoctrinated.

My whole philosophy on the public system & freedom in learning started with him.

(And I thought I had covered a few more reps but apparently not enough. )
    I wish I had the opportunity to have had him as a teacher, and yeah, I know about him being Teacher of the Year.

Biggest problem we all know, and this should be stating the obvious, is Indoctrination is the Opposite of Freedom.

I think the more we all take a close look at what Mr. Gatto has to say about how we can truly learn, the better off we will be. I see him as potential path to at least intellectual freedom.
    1776 > 1984

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    I wish I had the opportunity to have had him as a teacher, and yeah, I know about him being Teacher of the Year.

Biggest problem we all know, and this should be stating the obvious, is Indoctrination is the Opposite of Freedom.

I think the more we all take a close look at what Mr. Gatto has to say about how we can truly learn, the better off we will be. I see him as potential path to at least intellectual freedom.
    Yep.

The big thing is to get government out of education.

Our school was based on complete freedom of the student and also completely private- not a charter school- so the gov had no say.
    There is no spoon.

From the great John Taylor Gatto:
    Government schooling is the most radical adventure in history. It kills the family by monopolizing the best times of childhood and by teaching disrespect for home and parents.

Much of the weird behavior kids display is a function of the aperiodic reinforcement schedule. And the endless confinement and inactivity slowly drives children out of their minds. Trapped children, like trapped rats, need close management. Any rat psychologist will tell you that.

School is the first impression children get of organized society. Like most first impressions it is the lasting one. Life is dull and stupid, only Coke provides relief. And other products, too, of course

The net effect of holding children in confinement for twelve years without honor paid to the spirit is a compelling demonstration that the State considers the Western spiritual tradition dangerous

The strongest meshes of the school net are invisible. Constant bidding for a stranger’s attention creates a chemistry producing the common characteristics of modern schoolchildren: whining, dishonesty, malice, treachery, cruelty. Unceasing competition for official favor in the dramatic fish bowl of a classroom delivers cowardly children, little people sunk in chronic boredom, little people with no apparent purpose for being alive.

From his book: The Underground History of American Education: A School Teacher's Intimate Investigation Into the Problem of Modern Schooling(2000)

Short Vid:
    Last edited by AZJoe; 02-03-2018 at 06:04 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

"If you lived in a place where you had to eat your meals at the government-owned restaurant you were assigned to by zip code, where if you chose a better but private restaurant you would be punished by being forced to pay for both, where most of the people employed in the government-owned restaurants demanded your money and your patronage and opposed giving you a choice, you would--if you're a reasonable person with a little self-esteem and respect for liberty--take to the streets in passionate protest. You would likely boycott the government restaurants. Well, this is the way government "education" works. So are you in the streets or just quietly paying its bills as it propagandizes your kids and teaches self-serving obedience to the state and its nonsense?"
    --- Dr. Lawrence Reed, FEE
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

The great John Taylor Gatto's articles at LewRockwell.com : https://www.lewrockwell.com/author/john-taylor-gatto/

Public School System = Government Indoctrination System

Children are innate learning sponges. The have natural curiosity. They want to learn everything. The entire world is a place of wonder and amazement. The greatest learning skill is to have curiosity and to think and analyze the subject. If you can analyze a subject and become curious about it, learning will become easy, fun and second nature. Learning is natural for children. If a child is not learning in school or does not like school, that is a reflection on the school and education system and not the child. Children wanting to learn is like water flowing downhill. If it is not happening there is a problem with the education system.

The Public School System is a one size fits all method controlled and mandated by government bureaucracies. There is very little diversity or alternatives. Parents have very little choice in how their children are educated. Every child must learn the same subjects in the manner prescribed by the government with materials approved by the government to meet government standards on government selected subjects because that is the rule.

How many children wake up today and wish they could stay in bed. They wish that the school bus would not appear this day. They lack desire for school and learning because they are not inspired by the education methods today. Their minds are numbed by the methods mandated in the public schools. For too many students the school experience is dull and unhappy and full of unintelligible tasks and violations of common sense. School should not feel like servitude. Why is it that private schooled and home schooled children consistently outperform public school children and do so at a cost of half that of public schools.

There must be better ways. Shouldn’t children wake up with their eyes ablaze, full of life, yearning to head off to school to learn more? Shouldn’t the school be filled with teachers that love the children and love teaching and love to be there and love to teach? If we could free up education from the rigid block of bureaucratic rules and law we might just be completely amazed. There must be better ways if only we were allowed the freedom to explore them.

The Government Indoctrination System fights against innovative and effective teaching. It destroys the success of innovative, motivational, creative, educators like John Taylor Gatto and Jaime Escalante. John Taylor Gatto http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/ , who upon finally winning New York State Teacher of the Year Award after over 29 years of success teaching the “most at risk” and “least promising” students, resigned in disgust to fight against the Government Indoctrination system. Jaime Escalant, subject of the film Stand and Deliver, motivated gang exposed poor inner city Latino students to become enthusiastic about Calculus of all things. Students who never had any desire or success for the “public schools” were enthusiastically staying after school, attending Jaime’s workshops having fun participating in math clubs and competitions and took them from a bottom failing program to top ten school in the Sate of California. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaime_Escalante . All the while the Government Indoctrination System was fighting them every step of the way. Their successes were despite the “Public School” System and because of their perseverance in fighting against it.

The Government Indoctrination System works to stifle curiosity, blunt critical analysis and logical reasoning and instead defer to others with labels of authority, trample self-learning, instill conformity, kill self-esteem, and replace it with self-confidence based on confirmation from others, and produce good little consumer statists who have achieved from their indoctrination nearly zero real world practical functioning for success.
    It seems odd that in a society that would laugh at the notion that there is one right car or job or house or hobby or pair of shoes for everyone, the vast majority unquestioningly accepts that there is one right education for all that the poetic, dreamy child should be subjected to the same institutions and methods as the outgoing, athletic child; that the brilliant but erratic child should be schooled by the same methods as the dull plodding child; that the highly motivated, independent child should be squeezed into the institutional structure designed to tame an undisciplined child. We acknowledge some students may be permitted to pursue arts while others are directed into science or physical education. But all must learn in the same manner, within the same authoritarian structure, in the same 50-minute intervals dictated by the same government. We believe it is a virtue if all are held to the same state or national testing standard, rarely asking whether the standard itself measures anything meaningful. - The State vs. The People, p. 52, Clair Wolfe and Aaron Zelman (2004)

The system is not improving. If anything education has become more standardized, more rigid, more controlled then it ever has. With each new bureaucratic reform the education expense become greater and greater without results - standardized testing, America 2000, Goals 2000, “Progressive” Education, School to work, No Child Left Behind, Government Monopolized Teacher Certification. It is an expensive failed attempt at social engineering. With each new reform, parents and communities have less and less say or direction over their children or their own education.

A few more tidbits of wisdom from John Taylor Gatto:
    Growth and mastery come only to those who vigorously self-direct. Initiating, creating, doing, reflecting, freely associating, enjoying privacy – these are precisely what the structures of schooling are set up to prevent, on one pretext or another.

Much of the weird behavior kids display is a function of the aperiodic reinforcement schedule. And the endless confinement and inactivity slowly drives children out of their minds. Trapped children, like trapped rats, need close management. Any rat psychologist will tell you that.

The crime of mass forced schooling is this: it amputates the full argument and replaces it with engineered consensus.

The net effect of holding children in confinement for twelve years without honor paid to the spirit is a compelling demonstration that the State considers the Western spiritual tradition dangerous.

The strongest meshes of the school net are invisible. Constant bidding for a stranger’s attention creates a chemistry producing the common characteristics of modern schoolchildren: whining, dishonesty, malice, treachery, cruelty. Unceasing competition for official favor in the dramatic fish bowl of a classroom delivers cowardly children, little people sunk in chronic boredom, little people with no apparent purpose for being alive.

- THE UNDERGROUND HISTORY OF AMERICAN EDUCATION(2000).

More good resources:

Alliance for the Separation of School and State: http://www.schoolandstate.org/home.htm
    Public Indoctrination System and Dr. Ron Paul: http://www.lewrockwell.com/jarvis/jarvis108.html

More on Government Education Monopoly: http://www.newswithviews.com/public_...c_schools2.htm
    http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2006...tion-monopoly/

And remember this wonderful valedictorian speech on the Government Indoctrination System:
    Last edited by AZJoe; 08-30-2018 at 08:45 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Today I came across some notes that were taken at some home schooling convention back in the day. Title of the speech was "How Do We Preserve OurHeritage?" I don't remember who gave the seminar, but the notes seem appropriate here:

1. We lower our ideals when we strive toward standardization.

2. Huge segments of our history are being systematically stripped away. (this was at the latest mid-1990s)

3. History is a vision of truth that shows the evidence of God's person and power.

4. History is a vision of truth that counteracts the world's deleterious and destructive effects on faith.

More to come.
    #NashvilleStrong

This is from Wrong Ways to Motivate

1. Learning for the purpose of pleasing teachers.

2. Prizes, money, presents, grades. Knowledge should be rewarded with knowledge.

3. Restriction to a confined space or an enviornment that does not promote learning.

4. Fear and punishment.

Right Ways to Motivate

1. Curiosity and wonder

2. (Moral) imagination.

3. Good literature

4. appreciation and awareness of beauty.

5. Humor

6. Discovery

Methods

1. Expose children to the best books available.

2. Let children take time to do things thoroughly.

3. Short lessons.
    #NashvilleStrong

And from another seminar about the conspiracy in education...

1. Infiltrate schools from 1930 on to remove God, Christ, and the Bible.

2. Rewriting history by teaching facts and statistics. [sounds like how internet trolls work]

3. Illustrations turned to cartoons that make heroes into buffoons.
    #NashvilleStrong

tl;dl
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Some More Gatto Wisdom

we are spending far too much money on schooling, not too little. … we have too many people employed in interfering with the way children grow up – and that all this money and all these people, all the time we take out of children’s lives and away from their homes and families and neighborhoods and private explorations – gets in the way of education. …

One of the principal reasons we got into the mess we’re in is that we allowed schooling to become a very profitable monopoly, guaranteed its customers by the police power of the state. Systematic schooling attracts increased investment only when it does poorly, and since there are no penalties at all for such performance, the temptation not to do well is overwhelming. That’s because school staffs, both line and management, are involved in a guild system; in that ancient form of association no single member is allowed to outperform any other member, is allowed to advertise or is allowed to introduce new technology or improvise without the advance consent of the guild. Violation of these precepts is severely sanctioned …

A movement as visibly destructive to individuality, family and community as government-system schooling has been might be expected to collapse … but this has not happened. … What is needed for several decades is the kind of wildly-swinging free market we had at the beginning of our national history.

The Public School Nightmare https://www.lewrockwell.com/2010/07/...tive-monopoly/

Boredom was everywhere … and if you asked the kids … They said the work was stupid, that it made no sense, that they already knew it. They said they wanted to be doing something real, not just sitting around. … their teachers were every bit as bored as they were.

Boredom is the common condition of schoolteachers … the whining, the dispirited … the teachers tend to blame the kids … Who wouldn’t get bored teaching students who are rude and interested only in grades? If even that. … teachers are themselves products of the same twelve-year compulsory school programs that so thoroughly bore their students …

if we wanted to we could easily and inexpensively jettison the old, stupid structures and help kids take an education rather than merely receive a schooling. We could encourage the best qualities of youthfulness – curiosity, adventure, resilience, the capacity for surprising insight …

How Public Education Cripples Our Children
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/2010/06/...ainst-schools/

without children and old people mixing in daily life a community has no future and no past, only a continuous present. In fact, the name "community" hardly applies to the way we interact with each other. We live in networks, not communities, and everyone I know is lonely because of that. … school is a major actor in this tragedy … Using school as a sorting mechanism we appear to be on the way to creating a caste system, complete with untouchables who wander through subway trains begging and sleep on the streets. …

schools and schooling are increasingly irrelevant to the great enterprises of the planet. No one believes anymore that scientists are trained in science classes or politicians in civics classes or poets in English classes. The truth is that schools don’t really teach anything except how to obey orders. …

It is absurd and anti-life to be part of a system that compels you to sit in confinement with people of exactly the same age and social class. That system effectively cuts you off from the immense diversity of life and the synergy of variety, indeed it cuts you off from your own past and future, scaling you to a continuous present much the same way television does.

It is absurd and anti-life to be part of a system that compels you to listen to a stranger reading poetry when you want to learn to construct buildings, or to sit with a stranger discussing the construction of buildings when you want to read poetry.

It is absurd and anti-life to move from cell to cell at the sound of a gong for every day of your natural youth in an institution that allows you no privacy and even follows you into the sanctuary of your home demanding that you do its "homework." …

When children are given whole lives instead of age-graded ones in cellblocks they learn to read, write, and do arithmetic with ease if those things make sense in the kind of life that unfolds around them. …

Why Schools don’t Educate
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/2010/06/...-dont-educate/

A lot of things don’t matter that are supposed to; one of them is well-funded government schools. … over 100 academic studies have tried to show any compelling connection between money and learning and not one has succeeded. … after 12,000 hours of government schooling one out of five Americans can’t read the directions on a medicine bottle.

After 12,000 hours of compulsory training at the hands of nearly 100 government-certified men and women, many high school graduates have no skills to trade for an income or even any skills with which to talk to each other. They can’t change a flat, read a book, repair a faucet, install a light, follow directions for the use of a word processor, build a wall, make change reliably, be alone with themselves or keep their marriages together. …

at Southern Illinois University … a young man rose in back and shouted … “I’m 25 years old, I’ve lived a quarter of a century, and I don’t know how to do anything except pass tests. If the fan belt on my car broke on a lonely road in a snowstorm I’d freeze to death. Why have you done this to me?” He was right. …

People who do very well in schools … have much more than their share of suicides, bad marriages, family problems, unstable friendships, feelings of meaninglessness, addictions, failures, heart by-passes that don’t work and general bad health. …

Does going to school matter if it uses up the time you need to start a business, to learn to grow vegetables, to explore the world or make a dress? Or if it takes away time to love your family? What matters in a good life?

The things that matter in a bad life, we know, are: gaining power over others, accumulating as much stuff as you can, getting revenge on your enemies (who are everywhere), and drugging yourself one way or another … School teaches most kids how to strive for a bad life and succeeds at this so well that most of our government machinery eventually falls into the hands of people who themselves are living bad lives. …

It surprises me how many graduates leave college assuming they know what matters because they got straight “A”s. … what matters to these people most is the personal ownership of machinery: blending machines, cooking machines, driving machines, picture machines, sound machines, tooth-brushing machines, computing machines, machines to kill insects, deliver intimacy, send messages through wires or the naked air, entertainment machines, shooting machines, and many more mechanical extensions of our physical self. Indirect control over even more ambitious machine seems to matter a lot, too: flying machines, bombing machines, heart and lung machines, voting machines, and a great variety of other mechanical creations. …

Going to government-run school takes another 15,000 hours from the young life, 21,000 if you count going and coming and homework. What might this time have gone toward otherwise? From the very small amount of time remaining, machinery other than television gobbles a great deal. What does it give back in return? Hearts-ease? Love? Courage? Self-reliance? Friends? Dreams?

What Really Matters https://www.lewrockwell.com/2010/07/...c-school-lies/

You aren’t compelled to loan your car to anyone who wants it, but you are compelled to surrender your school-age child to strangers who process children for a livelihood, even though one in every nine schoolchildren is terrified of physical harm happening to them in school, terrified with good cause; about thirty-three are murdered there every year. Your great-great-grandmother didn’t have to surrender her children. What happened?

If I demanded you give up your television to an anonymous, itinerant repairman who needed work you’d think I was crazy; if I came with a policeman who forced you to pay that repairman even after he broke your set, you would be outraged. Why are you so docile when you give up your child to a government agent called a schoolteacher?

the deterioration it forces in the morality of parenting. You have no say at all in choosing your teachers. You know nothing about their backgrounds or families. And the state knows little more than you do. …

One thing you do know is how unlikely it will be for any teacher to understand the personality of your particular child or anything significant about your family, culture, religion, plans, hopes, dreams. …

The cost in New York State for building a well-schooled child in the year 2000 is $200,000 per body when lost interest is calculated. That capital sum invested in the child’s name over the past twelve years would have delivered a million dollars to each kid as a nest egg to compensate for having no school. The original $200,000 is more than the average home in New York costs. …

Law courts and legislatures have totally absolved school people from liability. … If you can’t be guaranteed even minimal results by these institutions, not even physical safety; if you can’t be guaranteed anything except that you’ll be arrested if you fail to surrender your kid, just what does the public in public schools mean? …

Government schooling is the most radical adventure in history. It kills the family by monopolizing the best times of childhood and by teaching disrespect for home and parents. …

David learns to read at age four; Rachel, at age nine: In normal development, when both are 13, you can’t tell which one learned first — the five-year spread means nothing at all. But in school I label Rachel "learning disabled" and slow David down a bit, too. For a paycheck, I adjust David to depend on me to tell him when to go and stop. He won’t outgrow that dependency. I identify Rachel as discount merchandise, "special education" fodder. She’ll be locked in her place forever. …

I almost never met a learning disabled child; hardly ever met a gifted and talented one either. Like all school categories, these are sacred myths, created by human imagination. They derive from questionable values we never examine because they preserve the temple of schooling. …

We don’t need state-certified teachers to make education happen — that probably guarantees it won’t. … Good schools don’t need more money or a longer year; they need real free-market choices, variety that speaks to every need and runs risks. We don’t need a national curriculum or national testing either. …

Our once highly individualized nation has evolved into a centrally managed village, an agora made up of huge special interests which regard individual voices as irrelevant. …

Americans failed to notice the deliberate conversion of formal education … that would turn school into an instrument of the leviathan state. … I can’t believe that centralized schooling is allowed to exist at all as a gigantic indoctrination and sorting machine, robbing people of their children. …

School is a religion. Without understanding the holy mission aspect … Every teacher should realize he is a social servant set apart for the maintenance of the proper social order and the securing of the right social growth. In this way the teacher is always the prophet of the true God and the usherer in of the true kingdom of heaven. …

Ordinary people send their children to school to get smart, but what modern schooling teaches is dumbness. … The individual has no chance to exercise his judgment … Once the best children are broken to such a system, they disintegrate morally, becoming dependent on group approval. …

Public Indoctrination
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/2010/08/...nimal-shut-up/

^^^Absolute truth! ^^^^

From Wayne's Word:

"I thought I had mono once for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored"
    There is no spoon.

For people that never heard of John Taylor Gatto (sheeple wont), how about Dr. Michio Kaku?

1776 > 1984

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.