Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: I am building a wood fired (pizza) oven.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Well, looks like I have to wait to the end of next week or the beginning of the week after that for my materials.

In the meantime I'll be spending some of my spare time into the surrounding structure. I've ordered some lumber to make the wood frames for the rear and I've made a plan for the masonry in front. Since I put a couple hours of thinking into my early drawings everything seems to fit nicely and I won't have to do crazy stuff to make it work, especially the brick pattern, for some reason the dimensions of my oven are perfect for it. The roof is going to be significantly more complicated because it's an octagon and I have no real ability to brace the thing halfway or at the bottom. Luckily there will not be too much weight on top. I think I figured it out. It would have been a lot easier but I have a height constraint since there are beams above the oven for the veranda roof. The way I've got it drawn up right now with plenty space for insulation around the oven, the top of the roof will be about 3" from one of the beams..

The roof is mostly for decoration but it will have to handle all the water that comes from the veranda roof at the chimney since the veranda roof has gutter style lexan on top, in hindsight it would have been a lot nicer to just use wood and ceramic tiles for the veranda with two large windows in there for some light, a bit more expensive but it would have been a gazillion times more convenient to fit a chimney through there without leakage. I'm going to have to get a plumber over to bend/solder some custom zinc gutters around the chimney hole. There's like 30" between the beams, they are at a 7degree, and the chimney is supposed to be 24", so there's not a lot of space to fit some zinc gutters. The space in between the beams I'm going to fill with some wood so you don't see the gutters and it's a bit neater...

Long story, which I'm sure nobody will read, but sometimes writing something down helps making things clear. This topic is a bit like a notepad for me, I use it to generate ideas. Who knows, maybe someone can learn from the mistakes I'm making.
    I read this. I've been watching this thread for years now. This is truly inspiring.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie RP fan View Post
    I read this. I've been watching this thread for years now. This is truly inspiring.
    Thanks

I just got the chimney damper that a buddy welded for me from stainless steel. Simple construction, nice fit but enough play on it so it won't lock up. Not an airtight seal but good enough to starve any fire or keep a lot of extra heat in when the fire is out. Will provide pics later.
    "I am a bird"

So some more pics..

This is the damper valve, I might cut off some parts of the flanges and it will be a loose fit in the chimney with some glassfiber tape for expansion.

Opens and closes nicely. Going to put the whole thing in the electric oven at max temperature and see how much it expands and if it's still operational before I put it in between the bricks.

I also finally got my floor tiles... So now I'm breaking my back to cut these back into the original shape. Trust me, this is truly backbreaking work. The hole in the top of the dome is 20", I'm not a real big guy but when I sit inside I can't tuck my head in to see something, too small, which is really frustrating.... But I'll get there.

The surface of these tiles is amazing. Around the edges it may be slightly imperfect but the middle part is really smooth.

(Color change due to moisture)

"I am a bird"

You want imperfect around the edges, when, not if, you break one you can change it...

The small cracks will fill with hot crud pretty quickly...

Are there any stiffeners welded to the other side of your damper?

It looks to be less than 1/4"?

You might want to think about it warping from heat.......

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    You want imperfect around the edges, when, not if, you break one you can change it...

The small cracks will fill with hot crud pretty quickly...

Are there any stiffeners welded to the other side of your damper?

It looks to be less than 1/4"?

You might want to think about it warping from heat.......
    We'll see but I don't think it will warp significantly..
    "I am a bird"

Do you ever have guests over just for pizza, luctor? You know. Like hey, you should come on over and we can have pizza out of my wood fired pizza oven. And then y'all just sit around it having pizza. And then yer like yep...that's muh wood fired pizza oven. Ain't she a beaut. Num num num nyum....

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Do you ever have guests over just for pizza, luctor? You know. Like hey, you should come on over and we can have pizza out of my wood fired pizza oven. And then y'all just sit around it having pizza. And then yer like yep...that's muh wood fired pizza oven. Ain't she a beaut. Num num num nyum....
    Well, not yet. But I have friends over for bbq or other food all year long.
    "I am a bird"

So... Almost literally backbreaking work. The hole on top is less than half the diameter. Working inside it was horrible but I couldn't be more happy with the result. Still a bit of a different color in there because of residual moisture but that will be gone in a day or so. Now there's just the last few courses of the dome left to do and we can technically make pizza.

"I am a bird"

Luctor, did I already ask you, ever been to Napoli?

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Luctor, did I already ask you, ever been to Napoli?
    Naples ? Yeah, been there twice.
    "I am a bird"

Go to Sorbillo's?

Go to Sorbillo's?
    No.
    "I am a bird"

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No.
    I recommend it! Amazing, tremendous, wonderful. That is the pizza to obsess over copying. It just seems a shame someone so close to Italy would have had their best pizza in.... France! The scandal!

I recommend it! Amazing, tremendous, wonderful. That is the pizza to obsess over copying. It just seems a shame someone so close to Italy would have had their best pizza in.... France! The scandal!

Yeah, well, what can I say. It was very close to Italy though... And the restaurant was tiny. Lots of return costumers though. Simple food, prepared with love.

If I ever find myself in Naples again I'll try a pizza there.
    "I am a bird"

This time the song.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    This time the song.

Merica!
    "I am a bird"

Merica!
    "It is located on Fifth Avenue between 33rd and 34th Streets in Manhattan. The Empire State Building took only one year and 45 days to build"

And that was in the 1930's.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

"It is located on Fifth Avenue between 33rd and 34th Streets in Manhattan. The Empire State Building took only one year and 45 days to build"

And that was in the 1930's.
    Don't tell the turrerists.
    "I am a bird"

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

You hungry ?
    "I am a bird"

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You hungry ?
    Do you have some Dutch woman for sale?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Do you have some Dutch woman for sale?
    No but I can sell you an old bicycle.
    "I am a bird"

No but I can sell you an old bicycle.
    Where do I park it?

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Where do I park it?

Well, not in the street with all the trannies, unless of course, you are into that sort of thing.
    "I am a bird"

So... Almost literally backbreaking work. The hole on top is less than half the diameter. Working inside it was horrible but I couldn't be more happy with the result. Still a bit of a different color in there because of residual moisture but that will be gone in a day or so. Now there's just the last few courses of the dome left to do and we can technically make pizza.

Beautiful, Luc!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

LOL

"langzamer laten lopen"

The finished floor, polished the stainless. Still have to pacify it but it's removable. It's sitting on two pieces of brick and some insulation. The entrance floor is a bit higher so stuff can easily slide over the SS and the floor inside is a bit lower so the edge of the bricks won't get damaged. In this way the piece of stainless can do what it's designed for, minimize the transfer of thermal energy between the two floors.

"I am a bird"

Mods, due to inaction, close this thread.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mods, due to inaction, close this thread.
    Where's muh money Danke ?
    "I am a bird"

Where's muh money Danke ?
    You didn't stop. No money Ducthboy. If you want to raise money to finish your project which is taking over two years now, try selling some tulips. Or carve some nice wooden shoes for Suzanamal.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6230589

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6269181
    Last edited by Danke; 10-02-2016 at 12:07 AM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast