Thread: The world's largest floating solar plant starts producing power in Huainan, China

The world's largest floating solar plant starts producing power in Huainan, China

The world's largest floating solar plant starts producing power in Huainan, China

In the city of Huainan, China, a mass of solar panels can be found floating on a mass of land that once used to be used mining. the floating solar plant is based in the south anhui province of China—an area famous for it’s coal-rich land. yet since the area is now flooded due to rainy weather and covered with water ranging from four to ten meters deep, the Chinese government have been able to optimize the land to farm a much more sustainable energy source. sungrow—the global leading PV inverter system producer—has announced that the floating solar plant has just been connected to the grid, and can now start supplying solar energy to homes in the area.

the 40-megawatt facility takes the title of the world’s largest floating solar plant, overtaking other floating farms in india and Australia. by placing the solar panels on water, the cooler air at the surface helps to minimize the risk of the panels overheating and decreasing in performance. the panels have been linked up a central inverter and combiner box, both supplied by sungrow and customized to work with floating power plants, made to be resistant to high levels of humidity and spray.

a professional from the local government explains the ‘the plant in Huainan not only makes full use of this area, reducing the demand for land, but also improves generation due to the cooling effects of the surface.’ the new solar farm forms part of an ongoing initiative from the Chinese govenment to rid the country of its bad reputation when it comes to energy consumption, making china the world leader in renewable energy production...
    Source: http://www.designboom.com/technology...na-05-25-2017/

Other floating solar farms:

7.75 megawatt peak Hydrelio floating system in Umenoki, Japan / image by Ciel and Terre

1.2 megawatt peak Hydrelio floating system in Okegawa, Japan / image by Ciel and Terre

1.2 megawatt peak Hydrelio floating system in Okegawa, Japan / image by Ciel and Terre

Location unknown, note the snow

While many Americans sit around and debate whether Solar works or not, the rest of the world is running with the tech. Tech that America could have continued to own, but found spending trillions of dollars bombing and invading the rest of the world was more important. And who thinks projects like these don't create jobs?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In today's headlines: Italy Switches on Five New Subsidy-Free Solar Power Plants

Octopus Investments Ltd. started generating power from five subsidy-free solar plants in Italy in the latest sign that clean-energy can be profitable without government support.

The plants have a two-year fixed power price agreement in place with Italian power trader Green Trade SA, said Matt Setchell, head of renewable energy investments at Octopus, in a phone call. The plants are located in the Montalto di Castro region of Italy and have a combined capacity of 63 megawatts. Panels were supplied by Canadian Solar Inc.

“Renewable power doesn’t always need the government,” Setchell said. “It’s being driven by demand, rather than subsidy.”

Globally, solar prices have fallen by 62 percent since 2009, with every part of the supply chain trimming costs. That’s help cut risk premiums on bank loans, and pushed manufacturing capacity to record levels. By 2025, solar may be cheaper than using coal on average around the globe, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance...snip more: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-power-plants

Solar farm in Rovigo, Italy

Meanwhile, in the US, in the last 24 hours, the District of Criminals has spent ~$200 MILLION DOLLARS ON THE WAR ON TERROR and "Homeland Security" http://costofwar.com

(Figures from 3/2016, it's worse now- click here)

There are no protests, no calls to stop this insanity (except from people like Tulsi Gabbard). Present day Americans have watched while their government has looted the treasury and blown it on things that will never benefit the citizens (unless they hold MIC stocks).

So you would have government subsidize solar power projects by diverting war funding?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    So you would have government subsidize solar power projects by diverting war funding?
    Seems like they've been doing plenty of both, about a 1/4 off the houses in my neighborhood seem to have those stupid panel, all paid for by taxpayer subsidies that go into business pockets, nevermind that solar panels in this region and fixed to the roof at one angle don't generate squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Peace Piper View Post
    [IMG]
    While many Americans sit around and debate whether Solar works or not, the rest of the world is running with the tech. Tech that America could have continued to own, but found spending trillions of dollars bombing and invading the rest of the world was more important. And who thinks projects like these don't create jobs?
    OMfG - I literally had to check to be sure I was on RPF.

Solar power is still the most expensive and least efficient. FFS - if China wants to spend their money that way then for the love of God, let them.

This chart, courtesy of Wikipedia is from the U.S. Energy Information Administration. The people trying to sell us on this nonsense. So it's probably twice as expensive.

Chester Copperpot

i used to think solar panels were great but they seem to burn out just like batteries and have to be replaced after 20 years so im not so sure theyre really that good now.. must be a better way

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    i used to think solar panels were great but they seem to burn out just like batteries and have to be replaced after 20 years so im not so sure theyre really that good now.. must be a better way
    Hey Genius, where did ya pull this from? Some idiot on the internet? Did you bother to check it out?

Why not do a little digging... You couldn't be more wrong. But this thread is infested with those who don't have a clue about what they're banging on about, so you fit right in.

The Real Lifespan of Solar Panels

Solar panel manufacturers put a lot of effort into making their solar panels robust. They need to be able to withstand heat/cold cycles and heavy weather. However, solar panels are not perfect and they will inevitably age. Keep reading to find out how age affects performance and what this actually means.

How fast do solar panels degrade/lose their efficiency?

The rated power output of solar panels typically degrades at about 0.5%/year. However, thin-film solar panels (a-Si, CdTe and CIGS) degrades faster than panels that are based on mono- and polycrystalline solar panels...snip

What is the life expectancy of solar panels?

Below is a chart showing different solar panel warranties on the market today. The different manufacturers guarantees that the performance of their solar panels will stay above the following ranges:

What will happen to my solar panels after 25 years?

The truth is we don`t really know – there`s not really a lot of data to look at since photovoltaics is a relatively new technology (the vast majority of all solar panels are less than 10 years old).
    However, from what we are seeing so far, we have reason to be excited. Here are a couple of interesting reports:

A 33W solar panel (Arco Solar 16-2000) actually outperformed it’s original factory specifications 30 years after it was manufactured.[2]

World`s first modern solar panel still works after 60 years.[3]

Kyocera has reported several solar power installations that continue to operate reliably and generate electricity even though they are nearly 30 years old.[4]

More: http://energyinformative.org/lifespan-solar-panels/

World’s First Modern Solar Panel Still Works After 60 Years

Thinking about investing in a solar array but concerned about the lifespan of photovoltaic cells? Consider this: the world’s oldest solar panel — a 60 year-old crystal ball-like contraption — still works. The panel was built by a British science teacher who wanted to prove the novel idea that sunlight could be converted into electricity.

Of course, the panel doesn’t produce much electricity–just 1.5 volts of electricity in direct sunlight, or enough to power a digital watch. And while today’s panels only need indirect sunlight to function, the 60 year-old version requires direct sunlight. Still, the selenium-based panel is surprisingly similar to current models...snip more: http://inhabitat.com/worlds-first-mo...fter-60-years/

Let's just keep blowing ~$200 million dollars a day on the WOT. That seems like a very good investment, doesn't it.

Jesus, why bother.

Let's just keep blowing ~$200 million dollars a day on the WOT. That seems like a very good investment, doesn't it.

Jesus, why bother.
    I would rather the government desist with either. Replacing one subsidy, because war funding is a subsidy, with another doesn't really leave us in a better place. Focus on getting government out of Energy altogether and if solar can compete then funding from investors will come.

I would rather the government desist with either. Replacing one subsidy, because war funding is a subsidy, with another doesn't really leave us in a better place. Focus on getting government out of Energy altogether and if solar can compete then funding from investors will come.
    But the liberal-leaners don't care about war. The government buys their support with boondoggles like this...wave a few rainbow flags from the top of the wind farm and those clowns will vote for you.

Solar and wind are ridiculously inefficient. Throwing tax money into that crap is utter nonsense.

Cognitive dissonance tell. "If you don't support blowing tax money on inefficient energy projects, then you support war."

Jesus, why bother.
    Yeah, you're not gonna get a lot of support for inefficient unconstitutional government spending here on Ron Paul Forums. Imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    But the liberal-leaners don't care about war. The government buys their support with boondoggles like this...wave a few rainbow flags from the top of the wind farm and those clowns will vote for you.

Solar and wind are ridiculously inefficient. Throwing tax money into that crap is utter nonsense.
    Technology is always bringing new/better efficiency. Granted, solar and wind work best in their particular elements and, so, are not suited for every local. Batteries/storage have most certainly improved and will only get better. Tidal energy is another that I consider worthy of consideration.
    I just don't care to have the Fed. Gov. steal from it's citizens to push these initiatives. If a state or municipality chose to do so with the consent of the populace I am more inclined towards it, though in truth I'd rather just see the market compete.

Technology is always bringing new/better efficiency. Granted, solar and wind work best in their particular elements and, so, are not suited for every local. Batteries/storage have most certainly improved and will only get better. Tidal energy is another that I consider worthy of consideration.
    I just don't care to have the Fed. Gov. steal from it's citizens to push these initiatives. If a state or municipality chose to do so with the consent of the populace I am more inclined towards it, though in truth I'd rather just see the market compete.
    If there was value to be had the market would invest. This nonsense system that's set up now is just more of the same bologna: socializing the losses while privatizing the profits. Making energy more expensive only serves to make people poorer. Even when the costs are disguised as subsidies.

If there was value to be had the market would invest. This nonsense system that's set up now is just more of the same bologna: socializing the losses while privatizing the profits. Making energy more expensive only serves to make people poorer. Even when the costs are disguised as subsidies.
    I'm not disagreeing.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to angelatc again.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 06-16-2017 at 02:52 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've gotten estimates, (for my usage, about 800-900 KwH a month at a cost of around $100 a month, total yearly cost of $1200 for electricity delivered through a town owned non profit co-op from a mixed source of conventional coal, gas turbine, biomass powered steam and nuclear) to run my home 80% off grid using solar came in around $35,000 for a 5.5-6.0 Kw grid -assist system with 80% availability.

So, assuming nothing ever went wrong with system, not a single cell failed, they produced peak power for the life of the panel, no battery failures, no inverter failures, no wind, cold, snow or sleet damage, no days covered in snow (I live in NH), in other words, peak performance for decades...it would still take 30 years to make back the initial cost.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 06-16-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Making energy more expensive only serves to make people poorer. Even when the costs are disguised as subsidies.
    That always seems to be the case.

The discovery of high pressure fracking applied to shale sands has resulted in trillions of cubic feet of natural gas reserves coming online.

Clean, makes no mess when spilled or leaked (assuming you don't blow it up in a confined space), easily transported, dirt freaking cheap (see yearly prices for natural gas sourced at the Henry Hub in LA, which is the benchmark price for US natural gas here: https://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/hist/rngwhhdm.htm) and easily adapted to making power on the grid with self contained, ultra clean burning turbines.

What immediately became the new "evil"?

Fracking.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, for many years I thought you were being too harsh, that maybe without the labels and harsh tones, we, meaning the "liberty movement", could somehow make common purpose with the left and progressives.

Mea maxima culpa.

Through any number of channels, through all manner of media, in so very many ways, it has been made very clear, these people want us dead...and for those that are not good enough to just die already, well, here's your "green approved Stack - A - Prole" domicile.

Now, STFU and move along.

40-megawatt facility takes the title of the world’s largest floating solar plant
    The largest power plant in the US, to compare things, is the Palo Verde Nuclear plant in AZ.

Total peak power production - 3942 megawatts.

And that's 24/7, not just when the sun is at it's peak.

33 Terawatthours a year.

Chester Copperpot

Hey Genius, where did ya pull this from? Some idiot on the internet? Did you bother to check it out?

Why not do a little digging... You couldn't be more wrong. But this thread is infested with those who don't have a clue about what they're banging on about, so you fit right in.

The Real Lifespan of Solar Panels

Solar panel manufacturers put a lot of effort into making their solar panels robust. They need to be able to withstand heat/cold cycles and heavy weather. However, solar panels are not perfect and they will inevitably age. Keep reading to find out how age affects performance and what this actually means.

How fast do solar panels degrade/lose their efficiency?

The rated power output of solar panels typically degrades at about 0.5%/year. However, thin-film solar panels (a-Si, CdTe and CIGS) degrades faster than panels that are based on mono- and polycrystalline solar panels...snip

What is the life expectancy of solar panels?

Below is a chart showing different solar panel warranties on the market today. The different manufacturers guarantees that the performance of their solar panels will stay above the following ranges:

What will happen to my solar panels after 25 years?

The truth is we don`t really know – there`s not really a lot of data to look at since photovoltaics is a relatively new technology (the vast majority of all solar panels are less than 10 years old).
    However, from what we are seeing so far, we have reason to be excited. Here are a couple of interesting reports:

A 33W solar panel (Arco Solar 16-2000) actually outperformed it’s original factory specifications 30 years after it was manufactured.[2]

World`s first modern solar panel still works after 60 years.[3]

Kyocera has reported several solar power installations that continue to operate reliably and generate electricity even though they are nearly 30 years old.[4]

More: http://energyinformative.org/lifespan-solar-panels/

World’s First Modern Solar Panel Still Works After 60 Years

Thinking about investing in a solar array but concerned about the lifespan of photovoltaic cells? Consider this: the world’s oldest solar panel — a 60 year-old crystal ball-like contraption — still works. The panel was built by a British science teacher who wanted to prove the novel idea that sunlight could be converted into electricity.

Of course, the panel doesn’t produce much electricity–just 1.5 volts of electricity in direct sunlight, or enough to power a digital watch. And while today’s panels only need indirect sunlight to function, the 60 year-old version requires direct sunlight. Still, the selenium-based panel is surprisingly similar to current models...snip more: http://inhabitat.com/worlds-first-mo...fter-60-years/
    I got it from people who wanted to buy solar panels for their home but when the company selling them explained to them that the power generated would degrade year after year they realized what a bad investment it would have turned out to be.

I can infer that if that is the case then it is strangely reminiscent of how a battery slowly dies from being used. And I'll stand by that assumption for now in spite of the information to the contrary in your post.
    But you're right, I didnt bother to research it personally. Ive got more important things to do