Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Must Libertarians Believe in Open Borders?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    Enslavement, eh?

Like how we are all effectively indentured serfs to the State by way of taxation?

Human capital, eh?

As in tax livestock and cannon fodder for the State, with which it may continue to leverage greater, and greater sums of debt; with which it may continue to indefinitely perpetuate wars both domestically and internationally?

This same State whose borders (read: claim to property) you're trying to rationalize?

Or is that truth too inconvenient?

So why import more serfs who do not understand nor support reducing the state?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanSpartan View Post
    Why should New Hampshire allow Massachusetts liberals who don't agree with reducing government?

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Why should New Hampshire allow Massachusetts liberals who don't agree with reducing government?
    Not the question, Americans have the right to travel with the nation, no one has the right to immigrate to the United States but nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    The reason I find it impossible to take arguments like this seriously is that the people who make them so obviously do not take them seriously, either.

You can make as many breathlessly Hobbesian pronouncements on the matter as you like - but you don't get to have it both ways.

If what you are pleased to call (and to so contemptuously regard as) "human nature" is as ugly, vicious, conscienceless and "every man for himself"-ish as you need it to be in order to prop up your thesis, then it is grotesquely absurd to declare that this can be mitigated by placing sole and exclusive authority to employ violence in the hands of some few of those miserable wretches whose nature you say is so ugly, vicious, conscienceless and "every man for himself"-ish. Indeed, to the extent that "human nature" is as depraved as you assert, then far from the amelioration of the consequences of that nature, the existence of a monopoly on the use of force can serve only to aggravate and magnify those consequences ...
    If you intentionally misconstrue the argument, it is no wonder that you can't take it seriously.

Why not try getting the argument correct and considering that idea, instead?

There is no proposal to "place sole and exclusive authority to employ violence". It is very specifically "placing sole and exclusive authority to employ violence" for the well-defined and sharply limited set of responsibilities for which there is no better alternative than to have a state.

When you leave out that last part it completely changes the character of the argument, and of course becomes advocacy of open-ended use of the monopoly on violence for any purpose - an advocacy completely at odds with libertarianism.

It's not an optional part of the argument - it is absolutely essential to the nature of what libertarianism is, and the very thing that differentiates libertarianism from other philosophies of government.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who said anything about importing anyone?

How is encouraging State violence and the State's claim to property rights going to reduce the State, exactly?
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

How is encouraging State violence and the State's claim to property rights going to reduce the State, exactly?
    Stop making sense, Cabal.
    There is no spoon.

Open borders are ideal if you're a globalist cuck.

But if you're a nationalist, a category which most people in the United States fall under, they're an anathema.

How is importing tens of millions of welfare voters going to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by DFF View Post
    Open borders are ideal if you're a globalist cuck.

But if you're a nationalist, a category which most people in the United States fall under, they're an anathema.
    Careful loving your nation, culture, Liberty, and people is "racist"!. (sarcasm)

If people here think open borders are a good ideas, why do they not the walls and doors off their homes?

Not the question, Americans have the right to travel with the nation, no one has the right to immigrate to the United States but nothing.
    We've already been through this, but you are simply not sophisticated enough to make a consistent argument. Are people in Europe less free than Americans? Is a libertarian in Canada less free than a Marxist American?

You see, you don't have a philosophy of rights that makes freedom natural to men. You propose rights that are granted by the state. This alone should render you a laughingstock on this board, but sadly this board is bereft of real libertarians nowadays.

We've already been through this, but you are simply not sophisticated enough to make a consistent argument. Are people in Europe less free than Americans? Is a libertarian in Canada less free than a Marxist American?

You see, you don't have a philosophy of rights that makes freedom natural to men. You propose rights that are granted by the state. This alone should render you a laughingstock on this board, but sadly this board is bereft of real libertarians nowadays.
    No, you keep making that statement as you are not capable of making an a point. Yes they are less free, they do not have protected right to speak freely, can and are arrested for speaking their mind, they can not keep and bare arms without a ever growing number of hoops to jump through will the Arab/African hordes flood their nation and smuggling in AK, RPG, and sheer numbers of persons as to change the entire make up of their nations and destroying their culture.

No, I do have a philosophy of rights namely the right of self preservation, open borders and mass immigration harmful to that and all other rights so we are going to prevent it from happening.

You moralist/cultural relativist fail to understand the some cultures/peoples/ can not, and will never understand and value freedom, that does do not will be keep out as do protect Liberty and those that value it.

People like you who would fall on your sword rather then swing it at the enemy are a joke.

How is importing tens of millions of welfare voters going to do that?
    Again, who said anything about importing anyone?

So far, you haven't been able to adequately respond to anything, particularly where your advocacy of State violence and State property rights is concerned. Are you going to reconcile these things at all, or are you just an unapologetic statist?
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.

So far, you haven't been able to adequately respond to anything, particularly where your advocacy of State violence and State property rights is concerned. Are you going to reconcile these things at all, or are you just an unapologetic statist?
    You were aware when people immigrate they tend to you know, move to another nation?

Once again you have not given any ideas so until you do you have less then no right to call out anyone for their ideas.

Can they be reconciled?

Do you see the state having any role in society? Yes or no? If no then you are an anarchist.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Strategically speaking, it strikes me as unwise for those with the proclivity to oppose the welfare state to instead call for closing the borders because of the unlikely possibility of the shrinking or abolition of the welfare state. That only serves to make the notion of eliminating the welfare state even more unrealistic, and what we're left with is an increase in state power and size, as you pointed out in your post - the opposite (presumably) of the wants of those who wish to see the welfare state wither away.
    But, then again, you've already stated that it is your wish that our country falls.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

No, you keep making that statement as you are not capable of making an a point. Yes they are less free, they do not have protected right to speak freely, can and are arrested for speaking their mind, they can not keep and bare arms without a ever growing number of hoops to jump through will the Arab/African hordes flood their nation and smuggling in AK, RPG, and sheer numbers of persons as to change the entire make up of their nations and destroying their culture.

No, I do have a philosophy of rights namely the right of self preservation, open borders and mass immigration harmful to that and all other rights so we are going to prevent it from happening.

You moralist/cultural relativist fail to understand the some cultures/peoples/ can not, and will never understand and value freedom, that does do not will be keep out as do protect Liberty and those that value it.

People like you who would fall on your sword rather then swing it at the enemy are a joke.
    ^^^
    Some people are more free than others, and people have rights because a government declares it so.

You are a Marxist.

This is the wrong website for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    But, then again, you've already stated that it is your wish that our country falls.
    Some people want to see progress toward actual liberty, regardless of the consequences to the state. Others want what's best for the state, and hope some of your rights are left afterwards. Whatever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Strategically speaking, it strikes me as unwise for those with the proclivity to oppose the welfare state to instead call for closing the borders because of the unlikely possibility of the shrinking or abolition of the welfare state. That only serves to make the notion of eliminating the welfare state even more unrealistic, and what we're left with is an increase in state power and size, as you pointed out in your post - the opposite (presumably) of the wants of those who wish to see the welfare state wither away.
    So what abo

What about the millions of people that would flood in and vote to recreate the welfare state after we just abolished it?

Did we always have a welfare state? No, we go it after we let in a bunch of Eastern Europeans, most of which were supportive of redistribution of wealth, odd is it not? Its like they change the culture/political nature of the nation by being in it?

Why that is what happened.

^^^
    Some people are more free than others, and people have rights because a government declares it so.

You are a Marxist.

This is the wrong website for you.
    No, you are a person that can not understand self interest and how it is illogical to work against your own, mass immigration is against our interests as it imports tens of millions of people that will support leftist ideals/politics and will reshape our demographics as to insure we never have any real power.

If you can not understand this it is your problem and all the name call and cries of "racist" or "Marxist" does not change it.

Cucknservativism and Libertardism are done, if Liberty is to survival we will restore sanity, and we are not going to do i nicely as doing things nicely got us into the situation that we are in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    Some people want to see progress toward actual liberty, regardless of the consequences to the state. Others want what's best for the state, and hope some of your rights are left afterwards. Whatever floats your boat.
    When has anarchy led to Liberty? How did that work out well in any nation since oh I do not know..Rome? The French Revolution, Spain, Russia, China, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, Cuba, Mexico, How is Liberty in the middle East?

What's the difference? If we have the right to cross state lines, why should national borders be treated any differently?

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When has anarchy led to Liberty? How did that work out well in any nation since oh I do not know..Rome? The French Revolution, Spain, Russia, China, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, Cuba, Mexico, How is Liberty in the middle East?
    None of those are examples of anarchy. All of them followed your left-wing closed border policies.

No, you are a person that can not understand self interest and how it is illogical to work against your own, mass immigration is against our interests
    Why do you say "our interests," as if my interests have to be the same as yours?

How about you pursue what you think your interests are, and you don't interfere with me pursuing what I think my interests are. If I want to hire a so-called illegal immigrant to work for me, you have no right to get involved in any way.

When has anarchy led to Liberty?
    It occurs to me that you are somewhat new here, and to have a better understanding of your argument, I'd like to know how you define "liberty".
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    What's the difference? If we have the right to cross state lines, why should national borders be treated any differently?
    Those are states within a nation. Because different nations of different people, with different cultures and different political values and some are just superiority to others, those that are superiority should not be brought down by those that are inferior.

Not all people, ideals, values, and politics are conducive to Liberty.

Those are states within a nation. Because different nations of different people, with different cultures and different political values and some are just superiority to others, those that are superiority should not be brought down by those that are inferior.

It's ironic that a xenophobe has taken as his screen name a swarthy-skinned people that invaded a fair-skinned one.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

None of those are examples of anarchy. All of them followed your left-wing closed border policies.
    So does Switzerland, yet a peaceful nation. You understand leftist are for open border as they can import future welfare voters, collapse the system and reboot with millions of voters with no loyalty to the nation, culture, and people right?

Why do you say "our interests," as if my interests have to be the same as yours?

How about you pursue what you think your interests are, and you don't interfere with me pursuing what I think my interests are. If I want to hire a so-called illegal immigrant to work for me, you have no right to get involved in any way.
    Do you value having a say? Do you value not having your wealth/property stolen at a faster and faster right?

Do you value not being a made a minority in your own nation, your culture displace, subverted or destroyed?

Do you value having self determination over your future/nation, culture, etc?

Do you value not being stripped of the few rights/freedoms you have left?

Seeing how they are using roads, hospitals, services that they and their kids use that we,I pay for as do most Americans, we do get a say, and we say no way.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    It occurs to me that you are somewhat new here, and to have a better understanding of your argument, I'd like to know how you define "liberty".
    The state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views.

The people in some states are less conducive to liberty than people from other states. Therefore, travel must be restricted, and people must be deported.

You were aware when people immigrate they tend to you know, move to another nation?

Once again you have not given any ideas so until you do you have less then no right to call out anyone for their ideas.
    This is the first time you've made such a criticism of me in this exchange. "Once again" doesn't apply. You're not the greatest with words, and their meaning, are you?

Also, I have every right to call you out on your flagrant promotion of State violence and State property rights. What do you know about rights, anyway? You think the State has property rights, and the right to initiate violence. Your understanding of rights is clearly, and unfortunately quite lacking.

Do you see the state having any role in society? Yes or no? If no then you are an anarchist.
    Of course the State has no legitimate role in society. The only way the State could ever conceivably have a legitimate role in society is when it has achieved universal, unanimous consent from those it would mean to govern.

So what if I'm an anarchist? That doesn't make your promotion of State violence and property rights any more compatible with liberty.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You understand leftist are for open border
    No. Open borders is a libertarian position. Leftists have always been for closed borders.

Do you value having a say?
    Over what other people do with their own property? No. I have no right to have a say in that. And they don't have a right to have a say over what I do with mine.

Do you value not having your wealth/property stolen at a faster and faster right?
    Yes. That's why I oppose laws that entail the state effectively taking over my property by telling me who I may or may not allow onto it.

Do you value not being a made a minority in your own nation
    No. Not one bit. I am an individual, just like you are. And the individual will always be a minority in any nation.

your culture displace, subverted or destroyed?
    How? The fact that someone else wants to eat a taco doesn't keep me from eating a hamburger. My culture will survive for as long as I choose to observe it. So will yours. You need to disabuse yourself of this left-wing victim mentality you have.

Do you value having self determination over your future/nation, culture, etc?
    Yes. Ergo, the state must not be permitted to regulate culture.

Do you value not being stripped of the few rights/freedoms you have left?
    Yes. That's why I oppose your continual insistence on stripping me of these rights.

Seeing how they are using roads, hospitals, services that they and their kids use that we,I pay for as do most Americans, we do get a say, and we say no way.
    No we don't. You might. But we don't. You worry about yourself and leave the rest of us alone.

Illegal immigrants pay for those services just as much as natural born citizens do. Some of them don't. And some citizens don't (you in particular I'm guessing). None of those things should be paid for by taxes. But that has nothing whatsoever to do with immigration.
    Last edited by erowe1; 01-05-2016 at 11:20 AM.

No, you are a person that can not understand self interest and how it is illogical to work against your own, mass immigration is against our interests as it imports tens of millions of people that will support leftist ideals/politics and will reshape our demographics as to insure we never have any real power.

If you can not understand this it is your problem and all the name call and cries of "racist" or "Marxist" does not change it.

Cucknservativism and Libertardism are done, if Liberty is to survival we will restore sanity, and we are not going to do i nicely as doing things nicely got us into the situation that we are in.

No?

You just said:

1. some people are more free than others
    2. people get rights from government

You are a MARXIST. Those are MARXIST ideas. You do not, in any way, support liberty or freedom.

You are one of those useless numbskulls who globs on to state-generated slogans, never understanding your own slavery.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic