View Poll Results: Which?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Big Horn

0 0%
  • Winchester

3 100.00%

Thread: Big Horn Safe VS Winchester Safe? Which one do you pick?

Question Big Horn Safe VS Winchester Safe? Which one do you pick?

I am picking between these two safes.

They are pretty much the same dimensions.

Both made in China, I can't spend several grand on a safe right now.

I need something smaller like these since it needs to go in a closet on hardwood vs in a concrete garage.

WINCHESTER @ Local Costco

Big Horn @ Costco.com

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11625662

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I'd look for something with a traditional UL certified, Group 2 dial lock.

Personally, I would go with the Winchester for the name recognition. Winchester isn't necessarily going to make inferior safes. At least I wouldn't believe so.

I am not a big fan of electrical keypad locks. If the battery dies, you're f...ed. dial, key or roller lock is better. At least have that ass a backup.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

I can almost guarantee that those 2 safes are made by the same manufacturer. If the inside dimensions are identical, I'd go with the winchester. Both should be constructed with 10GA. Both are high value safes.

If you decide you want a dial lock, you can purchase the bighorn, and ask rhino for the SG dial - they'll provide that at no charge.

There's a tradeoff with electronic locks. The LG lock used on these safes uses a swing bolt, and is probably the most reliable as far as electronic locks go. You should plan on proactively replacing it within 8 - 10 years. Because when electronic locks go out, they do so without any warning. They have their benefits though too - considering your needs should help evaluate risk/reward.

BTW - lock replacement on these safes is like a 20 min job... extremely easy. Just test out your work, many times, with the safe opened Even on delivery, make sure you test the lock with the door opened. If its going to fail prematurely, it will likely fail right away.

Good luck

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    I am not a big fan of electrical keypad locks. If the battery dies, you're f...ed. dial, key or roller lock is better. At least have that ass a backup.
    This is simply not true with the LaGard. It takes a single 9v battery, which can be replaced externally. The lock will warn you about low voltage, and even if it dies, you can still just replace the battery. The combo is stored internally, on a prom. The disadvantage to an electronic lock is that when it fails, as all mechanical things do, it will generally fail without notice. Traditional dials will bind up and give indication that they are going to fail, allowing the owner to replace them before total failure.
    Last edited by brushfire; 01-29-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    This is simply not true with the LaGard. It takes a single 9v battery, which can be replaced externally. The lock will warn you about low voltage, and even if it dies, you can still just replace the battery. The combo is stored internally, on a prom. The disadvantage to an electronic lock is that when it fails, as all mechanical things do, it will generally fail without notice. Traditional dials will bind up and give indication that they are going to fail, allowing the owner to replace them before total failure.
    I'll keep that in mind. The electronic locks I've seen did not have an external battery.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.