Thread: New Bill Would Allow Oregon Drivers to Pump Their Own Gas

New Bill Would Allow Oregon Drivers to Pump Their Own Gas

Geez...

Since 1951 Oregonians have relied on someone else to gas our cars, which can sometimes be extremely frustrating when you have lines backed up forever and 2 poor gas attendants running around like crazy people trying to take care of everyone.

Under a new bill passed unanimously by the House this week, that may change for rural roads in Oregon. According to KEZI, in remote sections of Oregon gas stations will have the option to allow customers to pump their own gas – when no owner, operator or employee is around.

The law is expected to be limited to counties where there are less than 40,000 residents, and the bill is now headed to the Senate. Personally, I’m totally for it. Did you know Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states that don’t offer self-service gasoline? It’s funny talking to someone from out of state. They can’t believe the long lines we have, which are damn near non existent in other states.
    http://thatoregonlife.com/2015/05/ne...ampaign=buffer

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I love gassing up in Oregon and having someone else pump it. It's a treat. If I remember correctly, the purpose of not having self serve gas stations in Oregon was to create jobs in response to the government ruining Oregon's logging industry.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotOne View Post
    I love gassing up in Oregon and having someone else pump it. It's a treat. If I remember correctly, the purpose of not having self serve gas stations in Oregon was to create jobs in response to the government ruining Oregon's logging industry.
    I love it when government creates protected jobs. That's some good stuff right there.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I love it when government creates protected jobs. That's some good stuff right there.
    Yes please. Do things for me that I'm perfectly capable of doing myself.

I drove though New Jersey a few years back and was absolutely shocked that I was not allowed to use the pump and obligated to tip. I felt like I time-traveled to 1950.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Yes please. Do things for me that I'm perfectly capable of doing myself.

I drove though New Jersey a few years back and was absolutely shocked that I was not allowed to use the pump and obligated to tip. I felt like I time-traveled to 1950.
    I like full service stations, and I desperately tried using the force of the market to keep a few open, but I failed. And yet, I survived.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I like full service stations, and I desperately tried using the force of the market to keep a few open, but I failed. And yet, I survived.
    The minimum wage is the force of the state that got rid of them.

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I have no issue with people who like that kind of service, I do have issue with people who try to force it on me. There were a few in PA and MI.

Speaking of MI, know anyone who wants to buy or rent a 3BR/2BA house w/15 acres and a barn in an incredibly small town?
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·