Thread: Jeremiah was a kook

Jeremiah was a kook

(Perceptive readers will note that the thread title bears a slight resemblance to the title of a one act play by Rothbard. This is entirely intentional. For just as the title of Rothbard's play gives little clue as to the content, so it is with the title of this thread.)

For lo, this is yet another thread on the subject of the hour - namely "Rand".

For I have been reflecting on the two Pauls. And it seems that there is a widespread perception among posters on these fora that there is a very fundamental difference between them. It seems to me that it could be summed up simply that Ron Paul is a prophet (as Newsweek famously pointed out), while Rand Paul is a politician.

This probably explains the way I feel about them. As a believer who loves the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, I much prefer prophets to politicians. And so it is with the Pauls. I love Ron Paul. I am passionate about him. He inspires me. As for Rand Paul - well, I'd vote for him. But passion? I'm sorry, but there isn't any.

It may also explain other things about them. Prophets were capable of drawing great crowds. They flocked to hear John the Baptist: "The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him." (Mark 1:5) But ultimately, he was a voice crying in the wilderness. Sound familiar? And in fact, some people called him a kook. (OK - in their terminology, it was "He has a demon" (Luke 7:33). And a survey of the life of Jeremiah indicates pretty much the same thing. Hence the words of Jesus Christ to his disciples not to worry too much if they were called kooks, because that was always the way it was for prophets: "Blessed are you when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you . . . for that is how their fathers treated the prophets.." Luke 6:22-23.

For this reason, prophets don't make good politicians. People hate them. They exclude them (e.g. from debates. And conventions. And political office. And . . .). And they insult them. ('Kook' is the favored noun for describing them.) And so, while prophets may draw the crowds, and while they may be loved by the true believers, they remain frozen out of positions of influence, and rarely get elected to public office.

So no, I don't love Rand. How can I? He's a politician. But if all men speak well of him, and are prepared to vote for him, as they voted for the false prophets that came before him, then perhaps some good might come.
    "Statesmen may plan and speculate for liberty, but it is religion and morality alone which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand." - John Adams

"He is the best friend to American liberty, who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion, and who sets himself with the greatest firmness to bear down on profanity and immorality of every kind." - John Witherspoon

Why I stand with Rand

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They have different roles, but their objective is the same.

“I have many friends in the libertarian movement who look down on those of us who get involved in political activity,” he acknowledged, but “eventually, if you want to bring about changes … what you have to do is participate in political action.” -- Ron Paul
    http://www.amconmag.com/article/2008/sep/22/00019/
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    They have different roles, but their objective is the same.
    Precisely.

p.s. You were pretty quick there, LE!
    "Statesmen may plan and speculate for liberty, but it is religion and morality alone which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand." - John Adams

"He is the best friend to American liberty, who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion, and who sets himself with the greatest firmness to bear down on profanity and immorality of every kind." - John Witherspoon

Why I stand with Rand

the prophet daniel
    was easier to talk
    to. jeremiah was
    into his own visions.
    poor poor poor joab.

global warming or
    peak oil or climate
    change or worse?
    why did isaac newton
    fixate on A.D 2060?
    Last edited by Aratus; 06-08-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Daniel was unique in some ways: he was a prophet, but also a top official in the administration of the country that removed him from his conquered country when he was young. Without that influence, I doubt if three magi would have had a clue many years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.