Thread: Police and Prison Guard Groups Fight Marijuana Legalization in California

Police and Prison Guard Groups Fight Marijuana Legalization in California

Police and Prison Guard Groups Fight Marijuana Legalization in California

Lee Fang
    May 18 2016

ROUGHLY HALF OF the money raised to oppose a ballot measure to legalize recreational marijuana in California is coming from police and prison guard groups, terrified that they might lose the revenue streams to which they have become so deeply addicted.

Opposition to the marijuana legalization initiative, slated to go before voters in November, has been organized by John Lovell, a longtime Sacramento lobbyist for police chiefs and prison guard supervisors. Lovell’s Coalition for Responsible Drug Policies, a committee he created to defeat the pot initiative, raised $60,000 during the first three months of the year, according to a disclosure filed earlier this month.

The funds came from groups representing law enforcement, including the California Police Chiefs Association, the Riverside Sheriffs’ Association, the Los Angeles Police Protective League’s Issues PAC, and the California Correctional Supervisor’s Organization. Other donors include the California Teamsters union and the California Hospital Association, as well as Sam Action, an anti-marijuana advocacy group co-founded by former Rep. Patrick Kennedy, D-R.I., and former George W. Bush speechwriter David Frum.

For their part, the groups say they fear the dangers of legalized pot for non-selfish reasons.

“The membership of the CCSO opposes the full-blown legalization of marijuana,” Paul Curry, a lobbyist for the California Correctional Supervisor’s Association, told The Intercept. Curry said prison guard supervisors do not want to see a society that encourages pot use and said many of his members are grandparents who are concerned about their children. “If marijuana is not a dangerous drug, the federal government would have made a change, but the fact remains that it’s a federal crime,” he added.

read more:
    https://theintercept.com/2016/05/18/...juana-measure/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jct74 again.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Got that for you.

Who would have guessed those dependent on the war on drugs for their livelihood would be opposed to it's becoming legal? All for unselfish reasons of course.
    Last edited by Origanalist; 05-18-2016 at 07:42 PM.
    "The Patriarch"

“If marijuana is not a dangerous drug, the federal government would have made a change, but the fact remains that it’s a federal crime,” he added.
    We can't make a change to an unjust law because if it were an unjust law a change would have been made.

And you may have been right to oppose Obamacare, too, but now it's the law and you have to live with it.

What brand of insanity is this? You can't even call it 'circular logic'; it's more of a circle jerk than anything else. Is this not traitorous in a republic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Officer Friendly says, "Hey, I don't make the laws. I just enforce them. If you don't like the law, just get it changed."

Officer friendly then pays to make sure law doesn't get changed...

For their part, the groups say they fear the dangers of legalized pot for non-selfish reasons

Ummm, right

"If marijuana is not a dangerous drug, the federal government would have made a change, but the fact remains that it’s a federal crime."

My favorite part
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    You can't reason with addicts. These government workers are addicted to bloated paychecks for useless work.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What are they afraid of? They keep calling cannabis a "gateway drug". So legalizing should give them more to crack down on right?

Lets put that "gateway drug" crap to the test. Come on, pussy nanny state.

Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    What are they afraid of? They keep calling cannabis a "gateway drug". So legalizing should give them more to crack down on right?

Lets put that "gateway drug" crap to the test. Come on, pussy nanny state.
    LOL

But, of course, alcohol is a drug too. But no one calls it a 'gateway drug' since Prohibition ended because it isn't illegal. Therefore, using it and finding out the propaganda is all lies doesn't cause people to think, well, I broke that law and lightning didn't strike, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    ...Lets put that "gateway drug" crap to the test...
    Didn't you get the memo? MILK is the gateway "drug" substance to everything mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    Didn't you get the memo? MILK is the gateway "drug" substance to everything mentioned above.
    Specifically mothers milk...

Outlaw boobs!

Specifically mothers milk...

Outlaw boobs!
    Government boobs.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Outlaw boobs!
    uh,, No.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    uh,, No.
    When boobs are outlawed only outlaws will have boobs.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    “If marijuana is not a dangerous drug, the federal government would have made a change, but the fact remains that it’s a federal crime,”

Now there's ironclad logic for you.

Think of the children.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    Officer Friendly says, "Hey, I don't make the laws. I just enforce them. If you don't like the law, just get it changed."

Officer friendly then pays to make sure law doesn't get changed...
    This.