Thread: California Ballot Propositions

California Ballot Propositions

Recommendations from the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association:

Ballot Measures

Statewide Measures

No on 14
    Why we’re against it
    In 2004, voters approved $3 billion for a publicly funded stem-cell agency, the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, to support research into new treatments and possible cures. The money has been spent, and the backers of Proposition 14 want voters to approve $5.5 billion more. But CIRM has been widely criticized for inefficiency and insider dealing. Moreover, the federal government and private enterprise are now funding stem-cell research. Proposition 14 fails to address issues of accountability and oversight in the spending of previously approved public funds. These new bonds will cost taxpayers $2.3 billion just in interest payments, drawing $260 million out of the budget every year for three decades. Proposition 14 is not necessary and it’s especially unwise at this time, when there are so many demands on taxpayers. VOTE NO ON PROPOSITION 14.

No on 15
    Why we’re against it
    This is the treacherous “split roll” property tax, a direct attack on Proposition 13. Proposition 15 would repeal part of Prop. 13 and require reassessment to market value of business properties. It would raise taxes on supermarkets, shopping malls, office buildings, factories, movie theaters, hotels, restaurants, sports stadiums, warehouses, self-storage facilities, major retailers and other businesses where Californians work or shop. Even the smallest businesses that lease space will face higher rents, or will have to pay the higher property taxes as part of their “triple net” lease agreement. Those higher costs are passed on to consumers. Proposition 15 would raise prices, increase the cost of living and put countless jobs at risk as companies cut back or leave the state. The proponents of this measure are seeking to weaken Proposition 13, and we can guess why. They could come after homeowners next. Protect Prop. 13. VOTE NO on PROPOSITION 15.

No on 18
    Why we’re against it
    Proposition 18 would change the voting age in California to allow 17-year-olds to vote in primaries and special elections if they will turn 18 by the date of the next general election. While some states allow this, California is different than other states because under Prop. 13 and Prop. 218, tax increases must go on the ballot for voter approval. These proposed tax increases are frequently on primary and special election ballots. Proposition 18 would allow high school students to vote on tax increases. This is unwise. The voting age in California should not be changed. VOTE NO ON PROPOSITION 18.

No on 19
    Why we’re against it
    Proposition 19 takes away important taxpayer protections that have been enshrined in the State Constitution since 1986. That’s when 76% of voters approved Proposition 58 to allow parents to transfer a home and limited other property to their children without an increase in property taxes. Proposition 19 eliminates Proposition 58 and a similar measure, Proposition 193, which gives the same protection to transfers between grandparents and grandchildren if the children’s parents are deceased. Proposition 19 would require property transferred within families to be reassessed to market value as of the date of transfer, resulting in a huge property tax increase for long-held family homes. The only exception is if the children move into the home within a year and make it their principal residence. This is a billion-dollar tax increase on California families. Proposition 19 contains other provisions, which HJTA has supported in the past, to expand the opportunities for older homeowners to transfer the base-year value of their home (under Prop. 13) to a replacement home. This was on the ballot in November 2018 as Proposition 5, but voters rejected it. Now, with a massive tax increase added, the price is too high. HJTA opposes this measure. VOTE NO ON PROPOSITION 19.

More Information Download Flyer

No on 21
    Why we’re against it
    Proposition 21 would change state law to allow radical rent control laws to be passed in cities that are already suffering from an inadequate supply of housing. In 2016, California’s nonpartisan Legislative Analyst’s Office issued a report that found that expanding rent control “likely would discourage new construction” by limiting the profitability of new rental housing. Under current law—the 1995 Costa-Hawkins Rental Housing Act—housing providers have the right to raise the rent on a vacant unit to market value after a tenant moves out. The same law also bans rent control on units constructed after February 1995 and on single-family homes and condos. Proposition 21 would repeal this law and allow unelected rent boards (or elected rent boards) to impose radical rent control and regulations, even on single-family homes. VOTE NO ON PROPOSITION 21.

Yes on 22
    Why we’re for it
    In 2019, the Legislature passed, and the governor signed Assembly Bill 5, a law aimed at destroying the “gig economy” and forcing companies to stop using independent contractors as part of their business. Supporters said companies must put all workers on the regular payroll as employees, with control over their hours and wages. The Legislature carved out exceptions for many industries, but the ride-share and restaurant delivery industry wasn’t granted an exception. Proposition 22 was put on the ballot by Uber, Lyft and DoorDash. It would create an exemption from AB 5 for the companies’ drivers, while providing them with basic benefits and protections. Without this exemption, the companies would likely stop offering their services in California, depriving state residents of convenient and affordable transportation and delivery services. VOTE YES ON PROPOSITION 22.

No on 24
    Why we’re against it
    In 2018, the Legislature passed, and the governor signed the California Consumer Privacy Act, which gave state residents more rights and control over how their data is shared when they go online. The CCPA took effect this year, and businesses have worked to learn the new legal requirements and comply with them. Proposition 24 is a new privacy law to replace the CCPA. It changes the rules before we even know if they’re working well. Worse, it creates a new state agency to write and enforce regulations that have the effect of new laws, but that no elected official will vote on. This new agency will cost taxpayers $10 million a year, but it will cost California businesses far more. Companies will be effectively forced to hire lawyers to review every technological change or upgrade in order to show the new agency that they are in compliance. This will be a great advantage to the largest companies, because many small start-up companies will not be able to afford the legal bills to file the compliance documents, or the cost of defending themselves from complaints, even meritless complaints. The regulatory burden will strangle technological innovation in California and protect tech giants while hurting small businesses. VOTE NO ON PROPOSITION 24.

No on 25
    Why we’re against it
    Proposition 25 is a referendum on a state law, Senate Bill 10, that eliminated cash bail and replaced it with a system based on judging risk, specifically the risk that an arrested person poses to public safety and the risk that the person will fail to show up for a court appearance. Because opponents of the law qualified a referendum, SB 10 did not take effect. A “yes” vote is in favor of the law going into effect; a “no” vote means you do not want the law to take effect. Proposition 25 would result in immense new costs to counties. The new system of risk-based release instead of cash bail would cost taxpayers somewhere in the mid-hundreds of millions of dollars, according to the Legislative Analyst. It’s not clear where this money will come from. This is a huge new cost at a time when counties are already struggling to meet their financial obligations. VOTE NO ON PROPOSITION 25.
    https://www.hjta.org/endorsements-by...a-pac/#ballots
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

https://twitter.com/USAB4L/status/1309219565591826433
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I agree with the Howard Jarvis Tax Association recommendations. But a part of me just wants to push California over the edge so businesses leave, jobs are lost, and thus tax revenue dries up. It's the only way CA will learn.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    I agree with the Howard Jarvis Tax Association recommendations. But a part of me just wants to push California over the edge so businesses leave, jobs are lost, and thus tax revenue dries up. It's the only way CA will learn.
    FedGov will bail out CA with strings attached. Less sovereignty for CA and the marxists will keep on keepin' on.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    FedGov will bail out CA with strings attached. Less sovereignty for CA and the marxists will keep on keepin' on.
    Yep, and when the FEDS with hold funding because of CA Marxist BS they whine like children and wonder why. Ultimately CA is a coke whore to the FEDS.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Can we also get a proposition for California to secede?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I just got my election guide yesterday and went through it last night. No on everything except 22 is a Yes. Looks like I scored 100%
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I just got my election guide yesterday and went through it last night. No on everything except 22 is a Yes. Looks like I scored 100%
    Roger that, when mine arrives I'll review the B4L & Danno recommendations.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

"Politicians are liars, cheats and thieves".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXRBAq_97SI

No on 25
    Why we’re against it
    Proposition 25 is a referendum on a state law, Senate Bill 10, that eliminated cash bail and replaced it with a system based on judging risk, specifically the risk that an arrested person poses to public safety and the risk that the person will fail to show up for a court appearance. Because opponents of the law qualified a referendum, SB 10 did not take effect. A “yes” vote is in favor of the law going into effect; a “no” vote means you do not want the law to take effect. Proposition 25 would result in immense new costs to counties. The new system of risk-based release instead of cash bail would cost taxpayers somewhere in the mid-hundreds of millions of dollars, according to the Legislative Analyst. It’s not clear where this money will come from. This is a huge new cost at a time when counties are already struggling to meet their financial obligations. VOTE NO ON PROPOSITION 25.
    This is the tough one. Can't decide yet. I would like to know how not locking people up will cost the counties money? Seems like it would be a savings. Then there is the issue of DAs and judges refusing to charge or hold violent rioters, but that is probably a separate issue not addressed by this prop. But it will make this less likely to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    This is the tough one. Can't decide yet. I would like to know how not locking people up will cost the counties money? Seems like it would be a savings. Then there is the issue of DAs and judges refusing to charge or hold violent rioters, but that is probably a separate issue not addressed by this prop. But it will make this less likely to pass.
    The way I see it, we already have a risk based bail system. If a person is deemed dangerous to society, they don't get bail. If it's a serious crime and they are a flight risk, but not a particular danger to the community, then the judge can put up a high bail amount to allow them to not be locked up - but still incentivize them to come in for their court date.

If it's a less serious crime, they can give them a low bail amount to incentivize them to come in to face their less serious charges.

The only way I see this going is they are going to let less people out on bail because for the bigger crimes, and there will be no way to incentivize people financially to show up for their court dates. Next thing you know, more people who may have committed lower offenses now have more crimes committed by not showing up to court because there was less incentive to do so, now you have to lock them up longer.

The financial incentive is usually provided by somebody they know or their family, so instead of just having the incentive to show up for their own sake, they also have to consider the person who put up their bail who could end up owing thousands of dollars if they don't show up to court.

Seems like if you have a good justice system, it's not a bad way to allow more people to be out of jail after they have been charged, but not yet convicted of their crime.
    Last edited by dannno; 09-27-2020 at 09:03 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    If Trump steals the election, or is perceived as having done so, it's going to get real bad real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    If Trump steals the election, or is perceived as having done so, it's going to get real bad real quick.
    Los Angeles County has over 7 million registered voters, but only 6.1 million eligible citizens.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301030590.html

On what planet do you believe Trump is going to "steal" the election?

Oh ya, you're on the brainwashed CNN planet..

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Los Angeles County has over 7 million registered voters, but only 6.1 million eligible citizens.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301030590.html

On what planet do you believe Trump is going to "steal" the election?

Oh ya, you're on the brainwashed CNN planet..
    QED

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    They won't let secession be an option. Betcha, if team red or team blue simply wants to leave, neither is going to let the other do so. Its a sick dysfunctional codependent system of abuse.

Carl DeMaio's California Voter Guide

About the Voter Guide: Among the factors that Carl DeMaio applies in issuing endorsements:

Opposition to tax hikes;
    respect for our Constitutional rights and personal freedoms;
    support for public safety and law enforcement; and
    support for small businesses and job creation against costly regulations and mandates.

The 2020 California General Election ballot is REALLY long and confusing - and politicians have even deceptively worded several ballot measures to hide tax hikes! Fortunately, Carl DeMaio and the team at the DeMaio Report have thoroughly researched and vetted measures and candidates to reveal which ballot measures contain tax hikes and which candidates are worthy of support.
    Statewide Ballot Measures

Prop 14: NO

Bonds for Government Subsidized Stem Cell Research

Allows politicians to borrow $5.5 billion at a cost of $7.8 billion to taxpayers to give away funds to so-called research studies on stem cells. Previous government funding for this was riddled with mismanagement and waste.

Prop 15: NO

Statewide Property Tax Increase (Caution: Ballot Has Deceptive Title)

Deceptive title on your actual ballot will claim it “Increases funding sources for public schools...” when this is REALLY a massive $12-15 billion tax increase that will destroy jobs. This measure guts Prop 13 from 1978 (Howard Jarvis’ Initiative) for commercial, retail, industrial, and other properties and also allows state politicians to impose new taxes on home-based businesses. Prop 15 will increase your cost-of-living at a time when working families are already struggling to survive. Worse, if this flawed and costly tax hike measure passes, expect a companion measure in next election to repeal Prop 13 from 1978 and increase property taxes on homeowners. For more information and to join the fight against Prop 15, go to www.StopPropertyTaxHikes.org

Prop 16: NO

Authorizes Discrimination on the Basis of Race in Government Decisions and Hiring (Caution: Ballot Has Deceptive Title)

Deceptive title on your actual ballot will claim it “Allows Diversity as a Factor in Public Employment...” when this would reverse a voter-approved Constitutional Amendment from the 1990s that banned any discrimination on the basis of race in any government decision. If this measure passes, race-based preferences such as quotas and affirmative action would be allowed and merit-based criteria will be disregarded. Prop 16 fans the flames of racial division and is a step back in the fight for equal protection under the law.

Prop 17: NO

Gives Parolees the Right to Vote

Biased title on your actual ballot will claim it “Restores right to vote after completing prison term” but fails to note that parolees have NOT yet completed their sentence for their crimes and parole is still considered part of the sentence. Prop 17 would restore early voting rights to violent criminals and is offensive to crime victims. If you break our laws, why should you have a vote in setting our laws? Under existing law, voting rights can be restored once an individual completes their full sentence, including parole, so Prop 17 is not needed.

Prop 18: NO

Gives 17-Year-Olds the Right to Vote

For a cost of over $1 million per election cycle, 17-year-olds would be mailed ballots to allow them to vote before they reach legal age. State law prohibits 17-year-olds from drinking, smoking, and even tanning because science suggests they aren’t old enough to make sound decisions yet. Voting should be no different. Prop 18 is irresponsible and shows that the politicians who placed this misguided measure on the ballot are the true juveniles here.

Prop 19: NO

Increases Property Taxes

Prop 19 is a tax increase disguised as a tax relief measure. Only one part of Prop 19 is good – a small provision allowing homeowners who are over 55 or meet other criteria to transfer a low property tax base to another property. However, Prop 19 then revokes property tax protections for many other homeowners and uses firefighting as mere window dressing to con voters into raising taxes. Prop 19 would set a really bad precedent and cost taxpayers too much.

Prop 20: YES

Support the Police and Hold Criminals Accountable (Caution: Ballot Has Deceptive Title)

Deceptive title on your actual ballot will claim it “Restricts Parole for Certain Offenses...” when in fact Prop 20 would merely reverse policies that coddle criminals and allow for early release of dangerous criminals from prison. Prop 20 will restore much-needed enforcement powers to police and prosecutors to hold criminals accountable for looting/repeated shoplifting and other crimes that were considered FELONIES before state politicians watered-down the crimes to simple misdemeanors or less. Prop 20 also expands use of DNA to help catch criminals. For more information OR to request a free “Yes on Prop 20 – Support the Police” lawn sign, go to https://reformcalifornia.org/petitions/support-police/

Prop 21: NO

Rent Control

Prop 21 is a disastrous measure that will increase the cost-of-living in California and lead to less housing supply. Rent control may sound good to some but everywhere rent control has been tried rents have actually skyrocketed higher. Economic studies show that Prop 21’s approach to rent control makes rents rise quicker because property owners will take the maximum allowed increase each year whether or not market conditions justify it just because they know future increases are always capped. Prop 21 will choke the supply of apartments by providing a disincentive for builders to invest in them.

Prop 22: YES

Allow Uber/Lyft and other App-Based Transportation and Delivery Services to Operate in California(Caution: Ballot Has Deceptive Title)

Deceptive title on your actual ballot will claim it “Exempts App-Based Transportation and Delivery Companies from Providing Employee Benefits...” when Prop 22 actually FAVORS the drivers of these companies by allowing them the freedom to continue to work as independent contractors with a variety of benefits and protections. Prop 22 is part of the larger fight to repeal the terrible AB 5 law that state politicians imposed this year that has all-but banned the use of independent contractors. 1 million jobs are at stake and are being damaged by AB 5. To join the fight against AB5 and in support of Prop 22, go to www.DefendFreedomToWork.com

Prop 23: NO

New Costly Regulations for Kidney Dialysis Clinics

Deceptive title on your actual ballot will claim it “Establishes State Requirements for Kidney Dialysis Clinics” when 1) there are already numerous regulations governing these clinics and 2) Prop 23 would add unnecessary costs and burdens on kidney dialysis clinics in an attempt to force workers into unions to pay dues that then are given to politicians in the form of campaign contributions. Prop 23 is a sham initiative that is hazardous to public health.

Prop 24: NO

Amends Consumer Privacy Laws

Everyone likes privacy, but Prop 24 is a flawed initiative that creates a $10 million-a-year government bureaucracy that would only be able to be reformed or eliminated by requiring voters to consider yet another ballot measure in the future. This flawed initiative actually reduces privacy in a number of ways and distracts from implementation of a new law that just went into effect to improve privacy in the digital age. Let’s wait to see the results of that existing law first before adding to costly mandates.

Prop 25: NO

Referendum: Should We Ban Cash Bail System for the “Honor System”

State politicians intentionally worded Prop 25 in a confusing way so that people don’t know whether a Yes vote means No and a No vote means Yes or whatever. To simplify things, vote NO on Prop 25 if you want to block a flawed law that the politicians imposed that would ban bail as a requirement of releasing individuals charged with serious crimes. Liberals want to replace bail with the “honor system” of hoping criminals show back up for their court date. Prop 25 would result in the creation of a new costly bureaucracy where government workers would be hired to “trace” people and ask them to voluntarily come to court hearings. Prop 25 is a dangerous law that puts crime victims at risk.
    https://kogo.iheart.com/content/carl...on-guide-2020/