Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parkland school officer charged for 'Complete inaction' during massacre.

Parkland school officer charged for 'Complete inaction' during massacre.

Well, this will be interesting.

This will have to go to the Supreme Court. Warren v. District of Columbia held that police officers have no lawful duty to protect and serve. And this is the legal precedent that the defense will use.

Former Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Deputy Scot Peterson was arrested Tuesday on negligence and child neglect charges related to last year's shooting at the Parkland school.

Peterson, 56, was arrested in Broward County on seven counts of neglect of a child, three counts of culpable negligence, and one count of perjury, Florida Department of Law Enforcement officials said.

The arrest comes after a 15-month investigation into the actions of law enforcement after the Feb. 14, 2018 shooting at the school that killed 17 students and staffers and left 17 others injured. Peterson was the school resource officer at MSD High School during the shooting.

"The FDLE investigation shows former Deputy Peterson did absolutely nothing to mitigate the MSD shooting that killed 17 children, teachers and staff and injured 17 others," FDLE Commissioner Rick Swearingen said in a statement. "There can be no excuse for his complete inaction and no question that his inaction cost lives."

The investigation showed Peterson refused to investigate the source of gunshots, and retreated during the active shooting while victims were being shot and directed other law enforcement who arrived on scene to remain 500 feet away from the building, FDLE officials said.
    Peterson was booked into jail and his bond was set at $102,000, officials with the Broward State Attorney's Office said.

The charges carry a maximum prison term of 96 and a half years if convicted.

In a statement Tuesday, Peterson's attorney, Joseph DiRuzzo, called the charges "unprecedented" and said they lack basis in fact and law.

"Mr. Peterson was not criminally 'negligent in his actions as no police officer has ever been prosecuted for his/her actions in responding to an active shooter incident," DiRuzzo said. "Let there be no mistake, the actions taken today against my client should concern the American Public and every public employee who, under the State’s misguided legal theory, could be criminally liable for actions taken as a 'caregiver.' To that end, the State’s actions appear to be nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt at politically motivated retribution against Mr. Peterson as no other individual employed at the Broward Sherriff’s Office or Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School has been criminally charged."
    https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/n...25612270801893

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Warren v. District of Columbia

A childish and preposterous ruling.

He feared for his life.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    He feared for his life.
    Duuuuude..... I've been missing your posts!
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Duuuuude..... I've been missing your posts!
    So has @Danke
    "The Patriarch"

"Complete inaction"?

Such a hit piece of an article.

I am sure that the Officer did everything he could to protect himself and any other Officers on the scene.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

This will go nowhere . No way cops really have to protect and serve and everyone knows it .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    "Complete inaction"?

Such a hit piece of an article.

I am sure that the Officer did everything he could to protect himself and any other Officers on the scene.
    The officer failed to order pizza for the troops, dereliction of duty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    perp walk:

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    This will go nowhere . No way cops really have to protect and serve and everyone knows it .
    I expect,,

But what about a plot twist where he names the Handler and who gave the stand down order.

"Just following orders" is a poor defense, but a wonderful monkey-wrench.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

He feared for his life.
    + rep

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

They serve and protect the 1%

Liberals again...they spit on vietnam vets, and they charge people with crimes that were never committed

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    Liberals again...they spit on vietnam vets, ............
    'Murika's favorite urban myth.

It should be part of the new national religion.

I saw some veteran douchebag on the teevee the other week at a Memorial Day interview where he cried telling how he was spit upon returning from Wang-Dang.

It seems that watching Ramblow too many times has given 'murikans false memories and PTSD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spitting_Image

hey look at all this blame, someone's gotta take it
    coward yes, criminal no

he was just not using his gun, since guns kill people and guns are bad. he should be applauded
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    coward
    -rep

The Officer was strategically lying in wait for the shooter to move into his line of fire. That doesn't make him a coward, it makes him a Hero.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    -rep

The Officer was strategically lying in wait for the shooter to move into his line of fire. That doesn't make him a coward, it makes him a Hero.
    Thought you were serious. Well played.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

No Obligation to Protect or Serve
    Fundamentally, however, American courts have helped enable this sort of police inaction. In the cases DeShaney vs. Winnebago and Town of Castle Rock vs. Gonzales, the US Supreme Court has ruled that police agencies are not obligated to provide protection of citizens. In both of these court cases, clear and repeated threats were made against the safety of children — but government agencies chose to take no action.

Given the government's propensity to side with itself in court decisions such as these, it remains unclear if the suing Parkland parents will be able to obtain any sort of restitution for the sheriff's department's incompetence. In addition to a non-obligation to intervene to protect the public, government law-enforcement agencies are protected by many layers of formal immunity which allow them to both abuse their power and neglect their duties without any significant repercussions to themselves or to departmental budgets.

When confronted with examples such as the Parkland Shooting, police often resort to the "expert" defense — namely that the taxpayers who pay the bills are not qualified to criticize law enforcement agencies who have special "expert" knowledge. The public is told to sit back and trust the "grown-ups" to do the hard work of policing. Disasters like Parkland are the result.

[RELATED: "Police: 'We're the Experts — Don't You Dare Criticize Us'" by Ryan McMaken]

And through it all, we're told that a "social contract" dictates we must pay taxes to governments that will "keep us safe." Clearly, this is a contract that is one-sided. The taxpayer is always on the hook to pay the government's bills, but the government is not obligated to deliver services.

This extends beyond active-shooter situations, as well. FBI statistics show only 60 percent of homicides in America lead to arrests or identification of the perpetrator. (Actual convictions in court are even more rare).

Now imagine if a private security corporation spent most of its time handing out tickets for loitering and minor traffic infractions while 40 percent of homicides went unsolved. Many would naturally be outraged. But with government police, such low levels of bang-for-the-buck are blithely accepted by taxpayers and policymakers alike — and police agency budgets grow ever larger .
    https://mises.org/wire/what-social-c...xLO28viHXBwOQI
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Searching "parkland shooting hoax" on YT, you have to scroll down to around the 80th listed video to watch something that isn't posted by some MSM channel. Even then, the listed videos are weak sauce and the scads of original videos picking apart the MSM narratives have been deleted and/or suppressed from search results.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Over a year after the deadly school shooting in Parkland, Fla., two more Broward County sheriff’s deputies have been fired for failing to act to stop the massacre.
    Deputies Edward Eason and Josh Stambaugh were terminated Tuesday after an internal investigation of the department’s response to the shooting showed they’d failed to act, Broward County sheriff Gregory Tony said.
    “It was neglect of duty, [with] the most severe consequences as we lost 17 people,” Tony said. “We are now going to move forward with fixing the issues that exist here.”

Of the eight officers nicknamed the “cowards of Broward” for their failure to respond to the emergency, four have been fired, three will remain on duty, and former school-resource officer Scot Peterson has been arrested for child neglect, culpable negligence, and perjury.
    A state investigation of the law-enforcement response to the shooting found both deputies had failed to respond properly. Stambaugh spent precious minutes putting on his bulletproof vest before hiding instead of entering the school building, while Eason allegedly fled the scene of the shooting.
    “Even after multiple interviews with Deputy Eason it was not clear when he arrived on campus,” the state report said. “And investigators found his statements to be both vague and contradictory.”

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/two-more-brow...190303072.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

This question is never answered :

Why do all the school shootings occur on the same day as those supposed "drills"?

There was even a "drill" at the same TIME during the shooting at Los Angeles Int'l airport a few years back.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post

Why do all the school shootings occur on the same day as those supposed "drills"?

There was even a "drill" at the same TIME during the shooting at Los Angeles Int'l airport a few years back.
    It worked really well on 9/11.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post

Thats because its all part of the plan.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    'Murika's favorite urban myth.

It should be part of the new national religion.

I saw some veteran douchebag on the teevee the other week at a Memorial Day interview where he cried telling how he was spit upon returning from Wang-Dang.

It seems that watching Ramblow too many times has given 'murikans false memories and PTSD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spitting_Image
    such a myth...my uncle lived it as reality. dumbass

Maybe your uncle is a buttfucking liar. Fucckstick
    Last edited by sparebulb; 07-24-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

You were at all homecomings and can certify that it never happened?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Over a year after the deadly school shooting in Parkland, Fla., two more Broward County sheriff’s deputies have been fired for failing to act to stop the massacre.

Deputies Edward Eason and Josh Stambaugh were terminated Tuesday after an internal investigation of the department’s response to the shooting showed they’d failed to act, Broward County sheriff Gregory Tony said.

“It was neglect of duty, [with] the most severe consequences as we lost 17 people,” Tony said. “We are now going to move forward with fixing the issues that exist here.”

[...]

Of the eight officers nicknamed the “cowards of Broward” for their failure to respond to the emergency, four have been fired, three will remain on duty, and former school-resource officer Scot Peterson has been arrested for child neglect, culpable negligence, and perjury.

A state investigation of the law-enforcement response to the shooting found both deputies had failed to respond properly. Stambaugh spent precious minutes putting on his bulletproof vest before hiding instead of entering the school building, while Eason allegedly fled the scene of the shooting.

“Even after multiple interviews with Deputy Eason it was not clear when he arrived on campus,” the state report said. “And investigators found his statements to be both vague and contradictory.”

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/two-more-brow...190303072.html
    "Just Us" has been "served and protected" ...

Judge: Deputies fired over school massacre to get jobs back
    https://apnews.com/article/parkland-...aae174abe59081
    Associated Press (13 May 2021)

[bold emphasis added - OB]

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — A Florida judge ruled Thursday that two deputies who were fired for inaction during a high school mass shooting in 2018 should be reinstated with back pay.

Broward Circuit Judge Keathan Frink concluded that arbitrators last year were correct in ruling that the fired Broward County deputies, Brian Miller and Joshua Stambaugh, should get their jobs back, with back pay plus other benefits, the Sun Sentinel reported. That includes accrued sick and vacation time, overtime and off-duty detail pay, among other benefits that they would have been paid had they not been fired.

One arbitrator had ruled in September that Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony acted 13 days too late when he fired deputy Stambaugh in 2019 for his conduct during the February 2018 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. The shooting left 17 dead.

State law says discipline against law enforcement officers must occur within 180 days of an investigation’s completion. Another arbitrator reinstated Miller last May, saying Tony had missed that deadline by two days.

The sheriff’s office appealed both decisions.

Lori Alhadeff, who joined the Broward County School Board less than a year after the shooting, said in a message to The Associated Press that her daughter Alyssa and 16 others are no longer alive because of the inaction and failures of many, including Miller and Stambaugh.

“It is painful for me to once again see that there is no accountability,” Alhadeff said.

An arbitrator has not yet ruled on the case involving a third fired deputy, Edward Eason.

Jeff Bell, president of the Broward Sheriff’s Office Deputies Association, said the judge’s decision solidifies that Miller and Stambaugh were terminated improperly.

The sheriff’s office released a statement pointing out that the union’s victory was based on a procedural technicality, which the sheriff’s office maintains was wrongly decided. The agency also reaffirmed its position that Miller and Stambaugh do not deserve to have their jobs back.

A state investigative commission found that Stambaugh was working an off-duty shift at a nearby school when he responded to reports of shots fired at Stoneman Douglas. He got out of his truck, put on his bulletproof vest and took cover for about five minutes after hearing the shots, according to body camera footage. Stambaugh then drove to a nearby highway instead of going toward the school.

Eason ran the other way as gunfire continued, then spent time putting on his bulletproof vest and body camera while the carnage continued, investigators said.

Eason also was faulted for not writing an official report after receiving a tip in February 2016 that the shooting suspect, Nikolas Cruz, was making threats on social media to shoot up a school. Tips to the FBI about Cruz also were not followed up, a separate investigation has found.

Miller was the first supervisor to arrive at the school, arriving in time to hear three or four shots, records show. Investigators found that Miller took his time putting on a bulletproof vest and hid behind his car.

Cruz, 22, is awaiting trial and could get the death penalty if convicted. His attorneys have said he is willing to plead guilty in exchange for life sentence.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 05-16-2021 at 03:00 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast