Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Eric Holthaus
    Hurricane Irma is so strong it's starting to show up on seismometers in the Caribbean -- equipment designed to measure earthquakes.

Stephen Hicks @seismo_steve
    Seismometer recordings from the past 48 hours on Guadeloupe show Cat. 5 #Hurricane #Irma driving closer toward the Lesser Antilles

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Irma hits just keep on coming, with the NHC Atlantic Ops twitter page reporting that as of this moment, Irma is now the stronger hurricane in the Atlantic basin outside of the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico in NHC records. “Preparations should be rushed to completion in the hurricane warning area,” the NHC said.
    #Irma is the strongest #hurricane in the Atlantic basin outside of the Caribbean Sea & Gulf of Mexico in NHC records https://t.co/tW4KeGdBFb pic.twitter.com/P8ebbQJR4k
    — NHC Atlantic Ops (@NHC_Atlantic) September 5, 2017
    Taking things to the next level, literally, meteorologist Eric Holthaus writes that Hurricane Irma is now expected to *exceed* the theoretical maximum intensity for a storm in its environment, or as he puts it "Redefining the rules."
    Wow. Hurricane #Irma is now expected to *exceed* the theoretical maximum intensity for a storm in its environment. Redefining the rules. https://t.co/e4hPjQt159
    — Eric Holthaus (@EricHolthaus) September 5, 2017
    Puerto Rican Governor Ricardo Rossello urged the 3.4 million residents of the U.S. territory to seek refuge in one of 460 hurricane shelters before the storm is expected to hit as early as Tuesday night. “This is something without precedent,” Rossello told a news conference. He will ask U.S. President Donald Trump to declare a federal state of emergency even before the storm passes to allow disbursement of U.S. emergency funds.
    Gary Randall, head of the Blue Waters Resort on Antigua’s north coast, said the staff had boarded up windows, stripped trees of coconuts and fronds and secured anything that could become a hazard. “I wasn’t that nervous yesterday, but today I‘m nervous,” Randall said by telephone, adding that he expected the hotel’s beach to be swept away and much of the 108-room property to be flooded.
    According to Bloomberg, Irma’s current path - headed straight for Florida - has prompted the state to prepare for the "catastrophic" system.

Unlike Harvey, which caused widespread damage, power outages and flooding and taking almost a fifth of U.S. oil refining capacity offline, Irma is a bigger threat to agriculture, with orange juice futures surging.

Airlines have canceled flights across the Caribbean and are adding planes to evacuate tourists, while cruise-line stocks have tumbled.

A strike on Florida would be the first time since 1964 that the U.S. was hit by back-to-back storms of Category 3 or more and only the second time since 1851, Henson said. Irma is now among the 7 most powerful storms on record to cross the Atlantic.

“Our biggest concern is Florida citrus,” said Joel Widenor, co-founder of Commodity Weather Group LLC in Bethesda, Maryland. “There is big enough fruit on the trees that the fruit could drop off, it could literally get blown off. The bigger issue is tree damage that is a lot harder to recover from.”
    Some more facts: Florida is the world’s largest producer of orange juice after Brazil. About two-thirds of the state’s citrus crop is located in the lower two-thirds of the peninsula. Orange juice for November delivery jumped as much as 6.9 percent to $1.4595 a pound on ICE Futures U.S. Tuesday, the biggest intraday gain for the contract since Jan. 28, 2016. Cotton for December delivery jumped by the 3-cent exchange limit, or 4.2 percent, to 74.88 cents a pound. Aggregate trading for both commodities for this time doubled compared with the 100-day average, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
    “There is an increasing chance of seeing some impacts from Irma in the Florida Peninsula and the Florida Keys later this week,” the National Hurricane Center said after Governor Rick Scott declared an emergency.
    There is still hope that a direct hit will be avoided: "The expected path has shifted considerably west over the last two days and can still change over the next two," said Olivier Jakob, founder of energy consultant Petromatrix GmbH in Zug, Switzerland. “We cannot yet rule out a move further west with a Louisiana risk.”

Irma’s track could shift as it nears Cuba and Florida, according to Bob Henson, a meteorologist with Weather Underground in Boulder, Colorado. One possibility is a turn to the north that would take the storm up the Florida peninsula.

“It is four to five days away,” Henson said. “In hurricane-land that is a pretty long time span.”
    Beyond the threat to people and property in the Caribbean, the focus for now is on agriculture, Jakob said. Irma is leading traders to be “long orange Juice futures rather than gasoline futures," he said.
    Only three Category 5 hurricanes have hit the contiguous 48 U.S. states, Henson told Bloomberg. The Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 that devastated the Florida Keys, Hurricane Camille in 1969 and Hurricane Andrew that cut across Florida in 1992. Andrew was originally classified as a Category 4 storm only to be upgraded years later after further analysis.
    “It is obviously a rare breed,” Henson said. “We are in rare territory.”

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...bbean-lockdown
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The latest NOAA chart

Irma re-clean a few fire arms in preparation I think
    My sister, bless her wittle heart is going bat $#@! crazy.. says some weather channel dweeb is saying to gtfo of Florida (all of Florida I think) by Thursday..
    riiiight.. and let the looting begin a few days early?
    We're already set with food, water, flashlights, batteries, the generator. I forgot blue tarps.. might have to go get blue tarps
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    My sister, bless her wittle heart is going bat $#@! crazy.. says some weather channel dweeb is saying to gtfo of Florida (all of Florida I think) by Thursday..
    We're already set with food, water, flashlights, batteries, the generator. I forgot blue tarps.. might have to go get blue tarps
    Keep your head down.

says some weather channel dweeb is saying to gtfo of Florida (all of Florida I think) by Thursday
    These people are $#@!ing ridiculous.

Microburst in Santa Barbara, CA the other day -- it was 95 degrees (unusually hot heat wave) and sunny one minute, clouds came, it started raining, then rained really hard for a few minutes and got really windy doing lots of damage, flooding, then just stopped and got sunny again a little while later. Rain lasted about 10 minutes or so, winds less than that. There are more videos, there were tons of people out in the water sailing and kayaking and paddle boarding. There were 56 water rescues after the incident, all the sail boats blew over. There was a weather warning, but not this severe.

Last edited by dannno; 09-05-2017 at 11:59 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Now the biggest storm ever formed out in the Atlantic. The question is how much the various island nations in the Caribbean island nations will slow it down and where will it hit the US. And behind it is Jose which will probably be classified as a hurricane today (Wednesday).

Jose is currently projected to turn northward and possibly miss the US but they also thought Irma would head north and it hasn't yet. Both moving about 14 miles an hour.

Irma and Jose (Image from Tuesday 9/5):

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-06-2017 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Microburst in Santa Barbara, CA the other day -- it was 95 degrees (unusually hot heat wave) and sunny one minute, clouds came, it started raining, then rained really hard for a few minutes and got really windy doing lots of damage, flooding, then just stopped and got sunny again a little while later. Rain lasted about 10 minutes or so, winds less than that. There are more videos, there were tons of people out in the water sailing and kayaking and paddle boarding. There were 56 water rescues after the incident, all the sail boats blew over. There was a weather warning, but not this severe.

I got slammed by a microburst while working as a truck driver and got blown over.

I hope all goes well and keep your powder dry.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Stay high and dry. Generators are nice. Your neighbors will all need to charge their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Keep your head down.

These people are $#@!ing ridiculous.

Yeah. My nephew is in Gainesville. Stores are nearly bare, gas stations running out. Gainesville.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Stay high and dry. Generators are nice. Your neighbors will all need to charge their phones.
    Mrs. AF bought me one of these.

Neat and handy for just such emergencies, if you don't have/can't afford/lack fuel for a regular generator.

Burns any scraps of non processed wood you can scrounge up, internal self powered fans increase the heat and generate enough electricity to charge phones and any other device that can be charged via USB.

Along with making a very handy and hot cooking surface.

https://www.amazon.com/BioLite-Burni.../dp/B00BQHET9O

Neat and handy for just such emergencies, if you don't have/can't afford/lack fuel for a regular generator.

Burns any scraps of non processed wood you can scrounge up, internal self powered fans increase the heat and generate enough electricity to charge phones and any other device that can be charged via USB.

I am not normally a gadget person, but that's pretty freaking cool.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The latest NOAA chart

Forecast track keeps shifting east.

Watch what happens.

Ten bucks says it shifts east far enough from FL to do nothing but minor damage and then out to sea.

The Bahamas will get hit regardless.

Watch what happens.
    Ten bucks says it shifts east far enough from FL to do nothing but minor damage and then out to sea.
    And in the meantime, all the emergency supplies retailers cheer!

Take care...seriousy Harvey tore the coast up here...we got the floods but the wind destroyed some f those coastal twns.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.

sweeeeet!

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Watch what happens.

I dunno, if it keeps shifting east it might track like Hugo did back in '89. I'll have to keep watch. If it does I might buy a second spare chain for the Husqvarna. There's good money in cutting up debris.

Ha! For some reason this product popped up on FedBook the other day. I took a look and thought it looked pretty cool. My sis got one of these and it seems pretty handy, easily broken down and stored, with it's fry pan, in it's own pot, but of course you have to rely on gas bottles.

Last edited by phill4paul; 09-06-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I dunno, if it keeps shifting east it might track like Hugo did back in '89. I'll have to keep watch. If it does I might buy a second spare chain for the Husqvarna. There's good money in cutting up debris.
    Damn it.

My dad and I cut up a bunch of red oak last week, we have the same Stihl saws and he's brutal on a saw, so he ended up with two my freshly sharpened chains. (I keep six in circulation, that I made up from a spool of "yellow dot" chain, two spares for each)

And I left them on my bench and forgot to sharpen them.

They might be needed even up by us.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Ha! For some reason this product popped up on FedBook the other day. I took a look and thought it looked pretty cool. My sis got one of these and it seems pretty handy, easily broken down and stored, with it's fry pan, in it's own pot, but of course you have to rely on gas bottles.

They made a bunch of similar accessories for that BioLite stove as well, grills, camp ovens, etc.

Maho Beach is a fun place in St. Maarten to watch tourists get blasted by jet blasts on landing/departing aircraft.

Now it's just a wet hell.

http://www.mahobeachcam.com/

As previewed yesterday, moments ago the National Hurricane Center said that "quickly strenghtening Jose" which has been quietly following in Irma's foosteps, has become a hurricane.

Located about 1040 miles east of the Lesser Antilles, Jose is headed at 16 mph on a steady west-northwest track, steered by the same ridge that is helping to direct Irma.
    On its current track, Jose would reach the northern Leeward Islands by Saturday, but the ridge is predicted to weaken enough by Saturday to allow Jose to arc just northeast of the islands. Conditions are favorable for Jose to strengthen into a hurricane by later Wednesday, and it could approach Category 3 strength by late in the week. About 25% of the European model ensemble members bring Jose into the northern Leeward Islands, but all of the GFS ensemble members keep Jose north of the islands.

The news means that there are now two major hurricanse barreling toward Florida in the Atlantic, as shown in the map below.

Meanwhile, Katia, which was christened as a Tropical Storm by NHC at 5 am EDT Wednesday, was also just upgraded to a Hurricane.

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...rma-katia-gulf

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

so you finally got a smart phone.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    so you finally got a smart phone.
    Negative, Ghostrider.

This is what I like to use for stormcasting

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/disp...a=natla_height
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

If that thing could spit out a shot of bourbon I would take one .

Barbuda

“Barbuda is practicably uninhabitable” after Cat. 5 Hurricane Irma, PM Gaston Browne tells ABS Television/Radio.

We are safe. No power, no water, everything destroyed. Buildings gone. Please pray as this island is decimated.

Unbelievable. #Irma has snapped all the cell towers on #Barbuda. That's reinforced steel - photo: ABS

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast