Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has Trump Lost Control Of The Pentagon?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    "Our military" isn't designed or intended to go after individuals which is why there's supposed to be a declaration of war prior to unleashing them....
    That's why in the first half of the quote you posted, which you deleted, I said I don't support it.

I have a neighbor who I like. I have a preference for picking up dog poop off my neighbor's lawn over dumping 100 tons of manure on their house. Sue me.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    That's why in the first half of the quote you posted, which you deleted, I said I don't support it.

I have a neighbor who I like. I have a preference for picking up dog poop off my neighbor's lawn over dumping 100 tons of manure on their house. Sue me.
    But the fact that you have absolutely no business on your neighbor's property doesn't matter- amirite?
    There is no spoon.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Could jus' throw the poop back in his yard... returning what's his, eh?

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    My dad did that once, neighbors had German shepards and left a chihuahua sized present in our yard- without skipping a beat he picked it up with his hand a flung it over the fence and hit the neighbors wife in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    But the fact that you have absolutely no business on your neighbor's property doesn't matter- amirite?
    Like I said, if your dog poops on your neighbor's lawn, you might be trespassing but they will be glad you picked it up. jmdrake said Syria doesn't want us there rooting out ISIS, picking up our dog poop, I have a strong disagreement there - I am pretty sure Assad welcomes our military there so long as we are fighting ISIS. It isn't what I would do, personally, but it is a lot better than getting us into boondoggle wars.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Obama and several European countries tried that by bringing in Syrian refugees.

To be clear: NO president has had control of the Pentagon since Truman.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs serves at the pleasure of the president. Or at least that is the way it is supposed to be. <shrug>

Certainly there has been no presidents in control of the CIA or probably the pentagon since Ike . What would make anyone think any of the presidential candidates on the final tickets ( Johnson , Trump or Clinton ) would even be slightly qualified to have any idea of what they are doing in the CIA or Pentagon ?
    Do something Danke

Like I said, if your dog poops on your neighbor's lawn, you might be trespassing but they will be glad you picked it up. jmdrake said Syria doesn't want us there rooting out ISIS, picking up our dog poop, I have a strong disagreement there - I am pretty sure Assad welcomes our military there so long as we are fighting ISIS. It isn't what I would do, personally, but it is a lot better than getting us into boondoggle wars.
    There would be NO ISIS if we hadn't starting meddling in the ME in the first place. It was the US that created and supplied Al Qaeda and I believe it is the US that helped form ISIS.

Your comparison is really about taking over your neighbor's property but promising to keep all the dog poop off of it. Only you throw poop in everyone's yard and then blame your neighbor. When they start bombarding his place, he gets upset and blames you; you then deny it and encourage everyone to keep it up and supply them poop projectiles. While the fight's going on, you steal more of your neighbor's property and also make a million on your company's projectiles.

A win/win for you and your special interests.
    There is no spoon.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    There would be NO ISIS if we hadn't starting meddling in the ME in the first place. It was the US that created and supplied Al Qaeda and I believe it is the US that helped form ISIS.
    Yes, that is why my picking up dog poop on your neighbor's lawn analogy is so appropriate. Obama's dog pooped (ISIS) on Syria's lawn, and now Trump is picking it up (getting rid of ISIS).

Your comparison is really about taking over your neighbor's property but promising to keep all the dog poop off of it. Only you throw poop in everyone's yard and then blame your neighbor. When they start bombarding his place, he gets upset and blames you; you then deny it and encourage everyone to keep it up and supply them poop projectiles. While the fight's going on, you steal more of your neighbor's property and also make a million on your company's projectiles.
    That sounds like a neocon boondoggle, something I assure you Trump will not be involved in. When he is, let me know. Because right now, he's not.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Certainly there has been no presidents in control of the CIA or probably the pentagon since Ike . What would make anyone think any of the presidential candidates on the final tickets ( Johnson , Trump or Clinton ) would even be slightly qualified to have any idea of what they are doing in the CIA or Pentagon ?
    Hillary. I've no doubt that Hillary is overly qualified.

Jesus Christ people! Trump said in his book in 2000 that he was the only person advocating a preemptive strike on NK. Now all of a sudden Trumpys are saying he lost control. BULL$#@!!
    Had Trumpys saying we SHOULD strike NK!
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    Jesus Christ people! Trump said in his book in 2000 that he was the only person advocating a preemptive strike on NK. Now all of a sudden Trumpys are saying he lost control. BULL$#@!!
    Had Trumpys saying we SHOULD strike NK!
    https://votesmart.org/public-stateme...w#.WPVwTvnyucw

MR. RUSSERT: ...which I've had a chance to have some excerpts given to me by your office. Let me talk about some of the issues. One is North Korea. And you say that you, as president, would be willing to launch a pre-emptive strike against North Korea's nuclear capability.

MR. TRUMP: First, I'd negotiate. I would negotiate like crazy. And I'd make sure that we tried to get the best deal possible. Look, Tim, if a man walks up to you on a street in Washington—because this doesn't happen, of course, in New York. But if a man walks up and puts a gun to your head and says, "Give me your money," wouldn't you rather know where he's coming from before he had the gun in his hand? And these people in three or four years are going to be having nuclear weapons. They're going to have those weapons pointed all over the world and specifically at the United States.

And wouldn't you be better off solving this really potentially, unbelievable—and the biggest problem. I mean, we can talk about the economy, we can talk about Social Security. The biggest problem this world has is nuclear proliferation. And we have a country out there, North Korea, which is sort of wacko, which is not a bunch of dummies. And they are going out and they are developing nuclear weapons. And they're not doing it because they're having fun doing it. They're doing it for a reason. And wouldn't it be good to sit down and really negotiate something and ideally negotiate. Now, if that negotiation doesn't work, you'd better solve the problem now than solve it later, Tim. And you know it and every politician knows it, and nobody wants to talk about it.

Jimmy Carter, who I really like, he went over there. It was so soft. These people are laughing at us.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    ^This. I wish @openfire and other Trump supporters like @dannno would stop and think about why the book "The Art of the Deal" was written. It was written about making sales. Trump is a salesman. He's always been that. There's nothing wrong with that. We need salesman in order to have a vibrant economy. But nobody stopped and asked the question "What is Trump really selling" when he got into politics. People assumed that Trump had the same core values they had. If he didn't, why would he take such "politically incorrect" positions? It's simple. Political correctness is relative. To teocons, being anti immigrant is politically correct. To libertarians/Ron Paul voters, being against the Iraq war "from the beginning" is politically correct. To both sides being against NAFTA and the TPP is politically correct. Trump told people what they wanted to hear. That's always a recipe for winning. And, above all else, Trump likes to win.

Seriously, the vast majority of Americans, especially republican voters, likes the sound of "Getting the politicians out of the way and letting the generals win the war." Supposedly we lost Vietnam because "The politicians wouldn't let the generals win the war." We've been screwing around in Afghanistan for over a decade now. We got out of Iraq because Obama actually kept a promise that Bush made, but now we're back in. Nobody wants to consider the possibility that both countries reached an "as good as it gets" stage years ago and that the entire region would be better off if we just left it alone.
    This is well put.

This now...
    So Trump will keep doing what he rightly realizes most of his base craves which is "winning" the wars. But the problem is that ultimately these wars aren't winnable. Not based on any real definition of winning. There is no greater oxymoron than a "humanitarian war."
    It's my strong impression that most of his base is sick of regime change BS wars, unless you count ISIS as a regime. Those guys are fair game for most people including Trumpians. Yes, it's not the libertarian position, I know.

And saying these wars are not winnable - well you saw the trap didn't you. IF the goal is to destroy the country as a functioninig nation, THEN the war was a success. Why is it so difficult to conclude that the humanitarian narrative was a callous, conscious decepion? (Certainly not by everyone involved, but at least among the leadership.)
    Last edited by merkelstan; 04-18-2017 at 02:06 AM.

Yes, that is why my picking up dog poop on your neighbor's lawn analogy is so appropriate. Obama's dog pooped (ISIS) on Syria's lawn, and now Trump is picking it up (getting rid of ISIS)
    Again if your neighbor says stay the fvck off my lawn I don't want your help with the dog poop it is NOT appropriate! Come on Dannno, I already explained this to you. I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT! Trump has totally swiss cheesed your brain. You can't possibly be this stupid.

That sounds like a neocon boondoggle, something I assure you Trump will not be involved in. When he is, let me know. Because right now, he's not.
    Right now you are in denial. The Trump administration has declared regime change in Syria to be his goal. That, by definition, is a boondoggle. And Trump is following the Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton playbook to a T. Keep it at an air war with limited use of special forces so the body bags don't mount up because that's the only way Americans will give a shyt. Come on Dannno. Engage your brain. I know you have one. I've seen you use it before.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

LOL Trump's utter iron fisted dominance of the Pentagon has slipped away in 100 days.

I don't get the feeling we're welcome there by Assad. Maybe you're picking up different signals than I am.
    "The Patriarch"

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nah, they could have changed foreign policy.

They simply didn't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I don't get the feeling we're welcome there by Assad. Maybe you're picking up different signals than I am.
    Assad would "welcome" U.S. troops to Syria, on his terms

DAMASCUS, Syria -- Syria’s President Bashar Assad says he would welcome U.S. troops into his country to help fight ISIS militants “without any hesitation” if the Trump administration espouses a “clear political stance, not only with regards to (the fight against) terrorism, but also about Syria’s sovereignty and unity.”

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bashar-a...nty-respected/

Again if your neighbor says stay the fvck off my lawn I don't want your help with the dog poop it is NOT appropriate! Come on Dannno, I already explained this to you. I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT! Trump has totally swiss cheesed your brain. You can't possibly be this stupid.

Right now you are in denial. The Trump administration has declared regime change in Syria to be his goal. That, by definition, is a boondoggle. And Trump is following the Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton playbook to a T. Keep it at an air war with limited use of special forces so the body bags don't mount up because that's the only way Americans will give a shyt. Come on Dannno. Engage your brain. I know you have one. I've seen you use it before.
    We're not going into Syria for regime change, we're not going into Syria for a boondoggle war. That has been made clear by the President. Some of his neocon cabinet have said otherwise, but they are not the President. You are confusing what people in Trump's cabinet has said with what Trump has said, which were contradictory. Whose opinion is going to Trump in the end, do you think?

DAMASCUS, Syria -- Syria’s President Bashar Assad says he would welcome U.S. troops into his country to help fight ISIS militants “without any hesitation” if the Trump administration espouses a “clear political stance, not only with regards to (the fight against) terrorism, but also about Syria’s sovereignty and unity.”

A (hypothetical) scenario:

I come into Danno's house with a gun, pointing it at his family. I say to Danno, "Danno, put out a press release saying I am welcome in your house or I'll shoot your wife!" Then Danno issues a statement similar to the quoted one from Assad. Maybe.
    Be careful when you pry my gun from my cold dead hands, the barrel will be hot.

Quote Originally Posted by chudrockz View Post
    A (hypothetical) scenario:

I come into Danno's house with a gun, pointing it at his family. I say to Danno, "Danno, put out a press release saying I am welcome in your house or I'll shoot your wife!" Then Danno issues a statement similar to the quoted one from Assad. Maybe.
    That is a ridiculous analogy that has no bearing on reality at all.

We're not going into Syria for regime change, we're not going into Syria for a boondoggle war. That has been made clear by the President. Some of his neocon cabinet have said otherwise, but they are not the President. You are confusing what people in Trump's cabinet has said with what Trump has said, which were contradictory. Whose opinion is going to Trump in the end, do you think?
    Your argument lacks merit. For you thing you apparently agree with the idea that Assad being forced out of office is an "acceptable choice." I do not. I doubt Assad finds it an acceptable choice either. For some odd reason you don't think that Russia being pressured to force Assad to leave office is regime change. You have a very odd, and provably incorrect, definition of regime change if that is the case. And lastly, Assad made it clear that U.S. troops were only welcome if the Trump administration made a clear political statement in favor of Syrian sovereignty. I showed you were both Nikki Haley and Rex Tillerson called for regime change. But let's say only Nikki Haley did. Then that means that the Trump administration has not bade a clear statement in favor of Syrian sovereignty. For an administration to make a clear statement, the varies top level officials need to be saying the same thing.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Nice try. Being disingenuous again.

Assad: US military forces in Syria are 'invaders'

Syria's President Bashar al-Assad scoffed and questioned US actions in Syria, calling American troops deploying to the country "invaders" because he hadn't given permission for them to enter the country and saying there's been no "concrete action" from the Trump administration toward ISIS.

"Any foreign troops coming to Syria without our invitation or consultation or permission, they are invaders, whether they are American, Turkish, or any other one," Assad said.

"And we don't think this is going to help. What are they going to do? To fight ISIS? The Americans lost nearly every war. They lost in Iraq, they had to withdraw at the end. Even in Somalia, let alone Vietnam in the past and Afghanistan, your neighboring country. They didn't succeed anywhere they sent troops, they only create a mess; they are very good in creating problems and destroying, but they are very bad in finding solutions."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/11/middle...s-us-military/

I'll repeat that last quote for you.

They didn't succeed anywhere they sent troops, they only create a mess; they are very good in creating problems and destroying, but they are very bad in finding solutions."
    A sense of danger gives birth to fear. And fear is the time-honored cross for the crucifixion of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    I'll repeat that last quote for you.

They didn't succeed anywhere they sent troops, they only create a mess; they are very good in creating problems and destroying, but they are very bad in finding solutions."
    That was a reference to all of our previous wars, none of which happened under the Trump admin.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    Nice try. Being disingenuous again.
    Incorrect - I said that if we were there to fight ISIS, Assad would welcome us. The key phrase if we were there to fight ISIS. Assad said, specifically, if we were there to fight ISIS, he would welcome us into the country.

I've already discussed why our military might be mucking around and not sticking to the mission Trump presented them with, which is to fight ISIS, but that is irrelevant to my statement, which was very clear.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12