Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oberlin College to pay $11 mill to Gibson's Bakery over racism lies, protests!

Oberlin College to pay $11 mill to Gibson's Bakery over racism lies, protests!

Gibson's Bakery wins battle against Oberlin College for letting loose their their lying, thieving brats! YAY!

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/0...berlin-college
    VERDICT: Jury awards Gibson’s Bakery $11 million against Oberlin College
    Posted by William A. Jacobson Friday, June 7, 2019 at 3:11pm

Punitive damage phase to start next Tuesday, which could increase the damages to $33 million. {DO IT!}

According to our reporter in the Courtroom, the jury awarded $11 million. Here are the details: Allyn W. Gibson was awarded $3 million, David Gibson $5.8 million, Gibson Bros. $2,274,500. Next Tuesday there will be a separate punitive damages which could be a double award (meaning tripling the $11 million to $33 million).

(clarification) Meredith Raimondo was held liable on the libel and interference with business relations, but not intentional infliction of emotional distress. By stipulation, the college is responsible for any amounts awarded against her, so she will not pay anything out of pocket.

We followed this case from the start of the protests, through the lawsuit process, and now trial. Here’s my statement:

The verdict sends a strong message that colleges and universities cannot simply wind up and set loose student social justice warriors and then wash their hands of the consequences. In this case, a wholly innocent 5th-generation bakery was falsely accused of being racist and having a history racial profiling after stopping three black Oberlin College students from shoplifting. The students eventually pleaded guilty, but not before large protests and boycotts intended to destroy the bakery and defame the owners. The jury appears to have accepted that Oberlin College facilitated the wrongful conduct against the bakery.

We will have interviews and video later. We will update this post as more information becomes available.

As previously posted, I was amazed at the tone-deaf and demeaning approach of Oberlin College to this family business. Oberlin College claimed the Bakery was worth only $35k, less than one semester at Oberlin College:

I’m still shaking my head at the tone-deafness of the defense in belittling this family business which has sustained five generations of Gibsons, and at the time of the protests sustained three generations: 90-year-old Allyn W. Gibson, his son David Gibson, and his grandson Allyn D. Gibson. There also were almost a dozen employees. After the protests, the Gibsons stopped taking salaries and most of the employees have been laid off. This is real life to these people. To say that the business was worth only $35,000 erases the lives of these people. Maybe it’s just the plaintiff’s lawyer in me coming out, but I’d cross examine this defense expert and college president, and show in closing argument, the tuition, room and board charges at Oberlin College. This business, which has been an important feature of the community since 1885, is worth less than one semester at Oberlin College?

This case is bigger than just this case, and reflects reflects Higher Ed disconnect from the lives of most Americans:

First, from the start of this case I have questioned the aggressive and demeaning attacks on the Gibsons as a defense strategy. There is no evidence that the Gibsons did anything wrong, unless you consider stopping people from stealing something wrong. That lawful act of protecting one’s property nonetheless has devastated a 5-generation business because of Oberlin College racial politics. Gibson’s Bakery survived two World Wars, the Depression, the turmoil of the 1960s, and the so-called Great Recession, but it may not survive Oberlin College’s social justice warriors and their faculty and administrative enablers. If the jury understands this, the other pieces of the case fall into line, factually and legally.

Second, I never cease to be amazed at the arrogance of the college community as reflected in the defense that Gibson’s Bakery was close to worthless. It’s the arrogance of the credentialed. A business that is in its 5th generation, and that currently supports three of those generations, is something of value. A business that employed almost a dozen local employees prior to this incident is something to value. Ultimately the jury will have to put a monetary value on the dramatic drop in business, and the loss of reputation of the individuals, but to demean the business the way was done is maddening.

Scott Wargo, spokesman for Oberlin College, provided the following comment in response to my inquiry: “The College does not have a comment.”...

more: https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/0...erlin-college/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxlr8ofmhU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZfsoPoWidw
    Last edited by Valli6; 06-07-2019 at 05:44 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

What about the no gay wedding cake baker? Is he still a garbage man?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Nice to see some justice.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Look at the interesting.
    The verdict sends a strong message that colleges and universities cannot simply wind up and set loose student social justice warriors and then wash their hands of the consequences. In this case, a wholly innocent 5th-generation bakery was falsely accused of being racist and having a history racial profiling after stopping three black Oberlin College students from shoplifting. The students eventually pleaded guilty, but not before large protests and boycotts intended to destroy the bakery and defame the owners. The jury appears to have accepted that Oberlin College facilitated the wrongful conduct against the bakery.
    So is it a privilege to steal based on someone's race?
    Stealing is not right.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Look at the interesting.

So is it a privilege to steal based on someone's race?
    Stealing is not right.
    You just don't understand their culture.

Maybe we can compromise by allowing them to vote for a right to steal.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Gibson's Bakery wins battle against Oberlin College for letting loose their their lying, thieving brats! YAY!

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/0...berlin-college

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxlr8ofmhU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZfsoPoWidw

Good $#@! leftists and $#@! their lying and slander.

Oberlin College fined $11M in bakery racial profiling case

Oberlin College fined $11M in bakery racial profiling case

By Ben Feuerherd
    June 7, 2019 | 11:39pm

An Ohio jury on Friday slapped Oberlin College with an $11.2 million damages penalty for siding with three black students who had claimed they were victims of racial profiling after they were caught shoplifting in 2016, a report said.

The liberal arts college must pay the massive compensatory damages award to the family-owned Gibson’s Bakery, where the three students had been arrested for attempting to steal or buy alcohol with a false ID.

The arrests were met with massive protests by students and faculty at the school.

During the protests, the Dean of Students, Meredith Raimondo, drew up a flyer, claiming Gibson’s had a history of racial profiling, the Chronicle-Telegram reported.

The flyer also urged students to boycott the bakery, the Chronicle-Telegram reported.

The students pleaded guilty to the attempted theft in 2017 and admitted in court they were not racially profiled.

The $11.2 million award could triple in a hearing next week on punitive damages, according to the report.
    https://nypost.com/2019/06/07/oberli...rofiling-case/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You just don't understand their culture.

Maybe we can compromise by allowing them to vote for a right to steal.
    +rep if they want to steal, they have to play by the same rules as everybody else
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by parocks View Post
    Total of $44 Million.
    Actually they were awarded an additional $33 million which would have brought it up to $44 million, but a state law cap will reduce it to the first amount.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Good.

$#@! them.

Hope they have to close up.

Let them take out of the alumni's asses...like Lena Dunham and Alison Bechdel
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 06-14-2019 at 06:05 PM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Actually they were awarded an additional $33 million which would have brought it up to $44 million, but a state law cap will reduce it to the first amount.
    Well, what you just said there isn't exactly right. It's more complicated than that. I can't explain it. Apparently that 2x punitives is not a hard cap. The judge in the case has some discretion. Additionally, there are attorney's fees to be considered, and those could run $10 Million, and Oberlin has to pay that.

Quote Originally Posted by parocks View Post
    Well, what you just said there isn't exactly right. It's more complicated than that. I can't explain it. Apparently that 2x punitives is not a hard cap. The judge in the case has some discretion. Additionally, there are attorney's fees to be considered, and those could run $10 Million, and Oberlin has to pay that.
    You seem to know more than I or the source I read do so I will defer to you.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You seem to know more than I or the source I read do so I will defer to you.
    It's complicated, hard to explain, I don't really have it down 100% myself, but you'll see that even headlines differ as to the amount.

It is true that there's a pretty good chance that that $33 M punitive damages number will be cut down.

A Democrat judge nearly halved the damages awarded to a bakery that previously won a lawsuit against Oberlin College for defamation.
    After Oberlin College filed a motion on June 21 to cap damages given to the bakery, Judge John Miraldi, who ran as a Democrat in 2018, ruled on Thursday that the bakery will only receive $25 million from the school in punitive and compensatory damages, as opposed to the original $44 million, according to The Toledo Blade.

The judge made the decision on the grounds that punitive damages must not exceed twice the sum of compensatory damages, according to Ohio law. Compensatory damages were determined to be around $11 million by the jury in this specific case.
    Attorneys for Gibson’s Bakery argued that there were multiple claims in the case, including intentional infliction of emotional distress and libel, so the damages should have been applicable to each claim separately.
    Lee Plakas, the attorney for Gibson’s bakery, had previously stated in an exclusive interview with Campus Reform that Oberlin was pushing “alternative facts” and that the college believed itself to be “above the law.”

More at: https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13404

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A judge has awarded about $6.5 million in attorney’s fees and court costs to Gibson’s Bakery, the family-owned Ohio doughnut shop that won a $25 million judgment against Oberlin College over protests accusing the business of racism.
    Lorain County Judge John Miraldi made the ruling on fees Wednesday, bringing the total award against Oberlin to nearly $32 million. Oberlin attorneys have indicated that they plan to appeal, according to the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram.

More at: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...s-against-obe/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The $25 million damages judgment plus the over $6.5 million attorney’s fees and expenses award, puts Oberlin College almost $32 million in debt to Gibson’s Bakery and its owners.
    Post-judgment interest in Ohio is 5%, which if my math is correct, on $32 million equals $1.6 million a year just in interest, or $4,384 per day. So that $32 million is going to keep growing as the inevitable appeal winds its way through the courts.
    Interest aside, Oberlin College doesn’t want Gibson’s Bakery to start collecting the judgment by seizing bank accounts, college equipment, and anything else they can get their hands on.
    Not surprisingly, Oberlin College has filed a Motion for a Stay of Execution of Judgment (pdf.)(full embed at bottom of post). The motion also requests that Oberlin College not be required to post a bond to secure the judgment while the trial court rules on post-trial motions Oberlin College says it will be filing.
    Here is Oberlin College’s key argument:
    Defendants intend to file motions under Civ.R. 50, 59, and/or 60. And per the express provisions of Civ.R. 62(A), a stay of execution may be issued at any time after a judgment is issued and before the time for filing motions pursuant to Civ.R. 50, 59, and 60 and while such motions are pending.
    Defendants further respectfully request that they not be required to post a bond in the amount of the Judgment at this time. In the event that Defendants’ post-trial motions are not successful and require Defendants to appeal, Defendants will then file a supersedeas bond as required by Civ.R. 62(B) at the time Defendants file their notice of appeal. This supersedeas bond, if necessary, will be in the amount of the Judgment, plus any additional amount that may potentially be awarded by the Court in attorneys’ fees.
    Gibson’s Bakery has filed an Opposition to the Motion (pdf.)(full embed at bottom of post) which opposes the stay and also argued that if a stay of execution is granted, that a bond be required.

More at: https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/0...ears-from-now/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They used to say stupidity is not illegal.

CLOSE IT UP!

CLOSE IT UP!

CLOSE IT UP!

CLOSE IT UP!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Dave Gibson, the owner of the bakery that won millions of dollars in a defamation lawsuit against Oberlin College, accused the school on Tuesday of waiting for him and his father to die.
    Gibson made these accusations in a statement he posted on Facebook.

“As we’ve been going through this legal battle, I’ve been going through another personal battle. Late last year, I was diagnosed with the devastating news that I have pancreatic cancer,” he said. “Oberlin College has known about my health condition since February. Their legal team filed a motion to prevent any mention of my cancer diagnosis at the trial. And honestly, we agreed, because I wanted the jury to decide this case on the facts alone -- nothing else.”

Oberlin’s President Carmen Twillie Ambar refused to accept the jury's verdict and vowed to fight it.
    "Let me be absolutely clear: This is not the final outcome," Ambar said, following the jury’s initial ruling. “This is, in fact, just one step along the way of what may turn out to be a lengthy and complex legal process.”
    This statement from Ambar, according to Gibson, was telling.
    “Recent public statements from Oberlin College make it clear that the college is refusing to accept the jury’s decision. The college has stated that the verdict is just the beginning of a long legal process,” Gibson said.
    The bakery owner than stated that Oberlin College is merely waiting until he and his elderly father are no longer living.
    “I believe they’re sending a clear message to me and to my 91-year-old dad that they will just wait us out," Gibson said.

More at: https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13548

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Just watched the video in this link........

I hope bakery-boy shoves the entire $44M up that broads ass and rips it out in one huge wad.

Condescending $#@! anyway..........Grrrrrrr!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast