Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul Holds Up Spending Vote (2/8/18)

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Such a cool picture
    https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory...g_32_00007.htm
    In 1955 the Senate decided to honor five of its most significant former members by commissioning their portraits for permanent display in the Reception Room adjacent to the Senate Chamber. The portraits were placed in oval medallions on the walls originally planned for likenesses of “illustrious men” but left vacant when Constantino Brumidi painted the room in the mid-19th century. A committee chaired by Senator John F. Kennedy of Massachusetts was formed to choose the five outstanding members; Henry Clay, Daniel Webster of Massachusetts, and John C. Calhoun of South Carolina were easily selected. The committee had difficulty determining the final two subjects, but eventually agreed on Robert M. La Follette, Sr., of Wisconsin and Robert A. Taft, Sr. , of Ohio, both Republicans.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Mike Lee's talking right now on the live link.

Amash and Massie are in the gallery I believe (or were earlier anyway).
    OK thanks - live link working (be persistent takes a while) . . .
    Sen. Angus King followed Lee . . . and Lee responding back right now.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here comes Princess Bombsalot

Rand replies by citing the danger that the debt poses to national security

WTH, Ted Cruz is sitting as the President of the Senate right now...?

Jan2017

The Senate in recess to 12:01 am tomorrow . . . about an hour from now.

In about an hour after that a vote . . . showing Rand Paul earlier in the mean time.

Recessing till 12:01. Vote around 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Recessing till 12:01. Vote around 1.
    When I am watching these on the west coast I always got to correct myself because I always think why do they all look so damn tired..

Lindsey is hammering Rand on Fox News right now.

Some nice quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by Rand
    How come you were against Obama’s deficits but you’re not against Republican deficits? Isn’t that the very definition of intellectual dishonesty?
    Yes, I want a strong national defense. I believe it's actually the most important thing the federal government does. But you have to ask yourself whether a $20 trillion debt makes us a stronger country or a weaker country

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Lindsey is hammering Rand on Fox News right now.
    Of course he is. And Fox will allow him. Did Fox simulcast Rands speech or did they have talking heads debating RussiaGate? $#@! these $#@!ers and the $#@!ers that watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Of course he is. And Fox will allow him. Did Fox simulcast Rands speech or did they have talking heads debating RussiaGate? $#@! these $#@!ers and the $#@!ers that watch them.
    Amen

Some nice quotes:
    He's taken the bit and thrown it off and distanced himself from party politics. It's what anyone on this site should be supportive of.

Jan2017

Rand is being shown on the CSPAN "live" as earlier replay while in recess - no one will see this watching Fox -
    Rand is gonna be a Dr. No on this vote - and he will be proud of it.
    Lee will join him - not sure if anyone else(?)

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    He's taken the bit and thrown it off and distanced himself from party politics. It's what anyone on this site should be supportive of.
    Yea, this seems like a turning point. I'd almost given up on the idea of him running in a contested primary in 2020, but now that's looking more feasible. As deficits explode (along with interest rates, the economy, and the GOP's prospects of holding the House), he should be in a strong position to say "I told ya so" and gather some serious momentum.

Jan2017

Rand's equivalent of the Golden Fleece awards continues in the replay . . . for one,
    $700,000 spent on Neil Armstrong's first words from the moon - unequivocal result,
    even though Neil Armstrong himself said that he said "a man", fwiw

He is being very articulate . . . this has been a great stand by Rand
    Last edited by Jan2017; 02-08-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Yea, this seems like a turning point. I'd almost given up on the idea of him running in a contested primary in 2020, but now that's looking more feasible. As deficits explode (along with interest rates, the economy, and the GOP's prospects of holding the House), he should be in a strong position to say "I told ya so" and gather some serious momentum.
    I think he's decided he's going to just lay it out there and see where it lies. After being shot at and tackled by political adversaries he might have decided it's just best to get fired from the Republican party by the likes of Lindsey Graham and go back to optometry.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Was DACA attached?

Jan2017

Rand : "I think the American people will see through this (what we are doing tonight)"
    I hope he gets a lot of press of what he has said tonight on the Senate floor.

Government shuts down for one hour before they vote (?) - they will vote on some 700 pages they haven't read -
    Government gets extended for six weeks (?)
    Last edited by Jan2017; 02-08-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Rep. Jordan, “Republicans control government and are going to allow a spending increase of a quarter of a trillion dollars, second only in the past decade to the Obama spending stimulus boondoggle? And run a $1 trillion deficit? It makes no sense. And it’s certainly not what we told the American people we would do when they elected us.”

---

“I’m discouraged. The amount of military spending, defense spending is far above the president’s request,” Corker said. “It’s very difficult to have that big of an increase in one year and then be able to use it.”

---

“This spending proposal is disgusting and reckless — the biggest spending increase since 2009,” tweeted conservative Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) "I urge every American to speak out against this fiscal insanity."

---

Brat said as he left the meeting, "You got trillion-dollar deficits as far as the eye can see.”

Politico
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Shut it down!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Jan2017

Rand Paul's Epic Speech on Government Spending 02.08.18

Last edited by Jan2017; 02-09-2018 at 06:58 AM. Reason: added tube link - CHECK OUT COMMENTS!

Jan2017

2.09.18 2:06am
    Updated at 2 a.m. ET
    Two hours into a government shutdown, the Senate passed a $300 billion bipartisan budget agreement to keep the government funded after a filibuster by Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., who objected to what he said is its out of control spending.
    But it still must get through the House.

With a 71-28 vote in the Senate, the measure faces a far from certain outcome in the House,
    amid the chaos that's forced a second shutdown in three weeks.

Paul was able to use Senate rules on Thursday to his advantage to delay the vote, much to the frustration of his fellow members. Senate rules usually typically allow a set amount of time for senators to debate legislation before voting.

Senate Republicans tried at various points throughout the night to persuade Paul to back down. At one point, the number two Senate Republican, John Cornyn, R-Texas, tried repeatedly to schedule votes ahead of the midnight deadline.

Paul objected each time until Cornyn, the majority whip, accused him of "wasting everybody's time and inconveniencing the staff."

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Spending Bill Passes After a Long Night

Wat about our CHILDREN soldiers???? Oh the yuge manatees!!!

Last edited by goldenequity; 02-09-2018 at 07:19 AM.

Jan2017

Cornyn, the majority whip, accused him of "wasting everybody's time and inconveniencing the staff." - lazy arsehole and staff.
    "Senate leaders, facing an implacable foe in Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, adjourned the chamber until just after midnight,
    conceding they could not prevent at least a short-term government shutdown, which will begin Friday morning."

House slipped in their vote in the wee hours . . .

looking for correct Senate roll call to find the 28 Nays of 02.09.2018

NAYs ---28
    GOP
    Burr (R-NC)
    Cassidy (R-LA)
    Corker (R-TN)
    Crapo (R-ID)
    Daines (R-MT)
    Enzi (R-WY)
    Flake (R-AZ)
    Grassley (R-IA)
    Johnson (R-WI)
    Kennedy (R-LA)
    Lankford (R-OK)
    Lee (R-UT)
    Paul (R-KY)
    Risch (R-ID)
    Sasse (R-NE)
    Toomey (R-PA)

DEM
    Bennet (D-CO)
    Booker (D-NJ)
    Cantwell (D-WA)
    Feinstein (D-CA)
    Gillibrand (D-NY)
    Harris (D-CA)
    Hirono (D-HI)
    Markey (D-MA)
    Merkley (D-OR)
    Sanders (I-VT)
    Warren (D-MA)
    Wyden (D-OR)

Not Voting - 1
    McCain (R-AZ)

H.R.1892 - Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ouse-bill/1892

Last edited by Jan2017; 02-09-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    Spending Bill Passes After a Long Night
    thanks for reminding me why I hate foxnews. oh they had to vote for this for the military, right? right. right. Gotta give more money for war...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast