Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trump Administration Approves Airgun Blasting in Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    I apologize, out of everyone, you've been the most honest with me/the forums.

I didn't agree with your reasoning a while back, but then again I'm not in much of a position to help you or try to offer help.

Your honesty I do appreciate.
    No worries, man. I'd suggest taking a break from the interwebz. You're never far from a beach where your from. Go get some sand in your toes and smell of the salt. It'd do more good than being notified and replying to it. IMHO.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I missed this before. Sounds like a lot of false pride due to a bad relationship with your father. You know what? You don't have a clue what a good relationship with a father is, so I forgive you for that condescending savior bull $#@! crack.

Oh $#@!, now my wife wants to send you a $20 for keeping us alive... what to do what to do...
    Nah...not worth it...bad karma.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-04-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Last edited by bunklocoempire; 12-04-2018 at 12:21 PM.

The ocean threat you've never heard of, but Trump made easier
    https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-bl...never-heard-of
    Blasts are emitted about every 10 seconds, 24 hours a day. Testing can last for weeks and be heard for hundreds of miles.

A typical rock concert is about 120 decibels. The volume of seismic blasts is about twice that — ranging from 200 to 260 decibels. That’s loud enough to burst the human eardrum.
    I wonder how close you would have to be in order for it to effect the human ear. Lets say you have no clue what is going on and are swimming off a boat or below deck in a sailboat.

You have no idea what liberty means, do you?
    Requiring a permit is more liberty than a total ban.

Let's say under the permit system, the permit costs $1. If you don't buy a permit, you have to pay a $10 fine.

Let's say when it is banned, you get 50 years in prison.

It seems pretty clear which system gives you greater liberty.

There isn't a single person here who disagrees that government regulation is bad. But an intelligent person understands that some types of government regulation is worse than others.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Laugh, cry, or throw a fit.

$#@! the whales, ss needs a pay to play solution that jives with his conscience.
    12 meaningless posts in a row talking to yourself. What is going on in this thread?

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Good.

Been in the offshore oil drilling business for 25 years now.

99 percent of what the public thinks they know about it, is wrong.
    What do you know about airgun blasting? I'm asking out of sheer ignorance.
    "The Patriarch"

Yeah, if there were true liberty, I would be able to fly without using an airplane.

Since I have to have an airplane to fly, I guess it's going to be pay to play.

3x5 doesn't cut it, not enough surface area for lift.

Do I sound sane enough to be posting in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post
    Their ears are their eyes. Their eyesight itself is very limited. Their ears are what allows them to “see” the world around them, to know how far away from them predators, food, and the rest of their pod are. Their ears are so sensitive whales can talk to one another when they are hundreds of miles apart. In cases of seismic blasting which killed marine mammals like in Peru a few years back or Madagascar, necropsies on marine mammals who didnt just sink in the ocean (which most do when they die) but were found in the thousands dead on the beaches were shown with blood pouring out of their ears. These necropsies also showed that these marine mammals were otherwise healthy: the seismic blasting itself busted their eardrums and killed them. In other cases where the seismic blasting didnt kill marine mammals immediately, it did deafen them so they died a slow agonizing death of starvation (because they could not find food since they were now blind) or were easy prey to predators.

Yes almost every single township along the US East Coast has voted against this. Every East Coast governor except Maine’s governor has come out against this — both Republican and Democrat. State attorney generals and state congressmen have come out against this along the whole east coast. And US congressmen from both parties have strongly come out against this... including libertarian leaning Republicans like Walter Jones (NC) and Mark Sanford (SC).

i believe God wants man to live in harmony with, and care for, the natural world and all its sentient beings, not exploit and destroy it for greed, power, money and selfishness. There are 7 billion humans on this earth and 411 right whales left on the planet. If the seismic blasting doesnt completely destroy their species, the endless everyday oil spills coming our way in the Atlantic will. Oil companies are supposed to call in their endless spills but they dont because they would have to pay for the damage they have done: volunteers who do flyovers of the Gulf have found not only do the oil companies not call in their spills but when they do, they vastly underestimate it so their penalty is minimal. The coast guard simply doesnt have the manpower to monitor the literally tens of thousands of oil wells in the Gulf of Mexico. So the Gulf is dying. One volunteer who is a retired physicist from NASA said decades ago when she did flyovers, the Gulf was teeming with life. She told me when she does flyovers now it is rare when she sees any life. Scientists who evaluated the blubber of sperm whales all over the planet reported that the blubber of sperm whales from the Gulf of Mexico was more polluted and filled with toxins than anywhere else on earth. Shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico have been found in large numbers to be deformed from exposure to bp oil: many have huge downs syndrome type heads, no eyes, and other deformities.

The elements in oil like benzene are carcinogenic — bottlenose dolphins off Louisiana are continuing to suffer and die from exposure to oil. Many also miscarry calfs because oil greatly affects the reproductive systems of mammals (including humans). A few years back a bottlenose dolphin in the Gulf carried around her miscarried and dead calf for weeks hoping it would take its first breath of air. Finally after weeks of this heartbreaking scene, she pushed her dead calf to a nearby boat of recreational fishermen who said it was like she was saying “i can’t make my calf take its first breath of air: can you help me”? When they couldnt do anything, she finally accepted the reality and swam away leaving her dead calf to fall to the bottom. Similarly the population of humpback whales off Valdez have literally had no calfs since that oil spill decades ago and as the population ages there will eventually be no more from that pod.

Taylor Energy has been spilling oil nonstop into the Gulf of Mexico for 14 years: the estimated 700 barrels a day which spill from their oil well started when a hurricane ripped up production wells and could continue spilling oil at this same rate for the rest of the century, according to the Interior Department. Hurricanes in the Gulf Coast are relatively mild compared to the Atlantic. 40 foot waves are not unusual in the Atlantic. There will be huge oil spills from this and because of the Gulf Stream these spills will not be able to be contained in one location. The coastal communities up and down the east coast and the $billions their economies generate from tourism and the seafood industry will be destroyed. Trump will destroy the livelihoods of millions of people for a finite amount of oil. And, yes, as is currently occurring in the Gulf of Mexico and in the one well off California’s coast, federal law allows the dumping of all extremely toxic fracking chemicals into federal waters for offshore fracking for gas. All this so the US can sell even more gas than it already does to the 1.3 billion humans in India and the rest of the planet.

If you want to drill for oil or gas, drill on land. Oil and water do not mix. Yes the Gulf has seeps, and these seeps are small enough that natural bacteria around them can consume them without harming other life. But the bacteria cannot keep up with the unnatural endless oil spills from tens of thousands of offshore wells. And people on the Atlantic seaboard in coastal communities have made it very clear to Trump (as they did to Obama) that they do not want this. Trump needs to listen to the millions of people who will be negatively affected by this rather than being a crony corporatist for the oil companies.

7 billion humans on this planet. 411 right whales. Scientists predict by the year 2045 there will be no more wild fish in the sea because of overfishing and human pollution. The ocean produces 50 percent of the oxygen on our planet. How? The excrement of fish fertizes the phytoplankton which produces the oxygen. No more fish in the oceans mean the oceans die: and when the oceans die, we die.

Even if you don’t care about the suffering, dying and extinction of intelligent, sentient, marine mammals, even if you don’t care that $billion dollar tourism and seafood economies along the east coast will be destroyed, do you really want to eat deformed shrimp, polluted fish and seafood, and push forward to a day when all life in our oceans are gone? Many here will say ‘yes’, and that is where i differ strongly with libertarians. i don’t want to live in a world overpopulated with humans that have completely exploited and destroyed the natural world: everytime i drive through the overpopulated northern Virginia where it’s a challenge to find a blade of green grass in a concrete jungle, i cringe. Joni Mitchell was right when she sang: “Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone; they paved paradise and they put up a parking lot.” I believe God wants us to care for the natural world and sentient beings we share this earth with, not destroy and exploit it for human and corporate greed, power, and selfishness. And apparently voting municipalities along the entire east coast, representing millions of people currently living in harmony with nature, agree.
    I totally agree with this- 1 billion %.

+ REP
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    What do you know about airgun blasting? I'm asking out of sheer ignorance.
    It's a process to use sound waves to "paint" a sonar picture of the sub surface formations that are likely to hold oil.

It is essentially a giant "ultrasound" using compressed air blasts to generate the sonic waves.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

And people on the Atlantic seaboard in coastal communities have made it very clear to Trump (as they did to Obama) that they do not want this.
    Umm, they already have it, at least off of New England.

Due to the World Court "Hague Line" decision of 1984, Canadian territorial seas were moved south, west and east of Nova Scotia.

They are currently drilling in areas essentially 100 nm east of Bar Harbor.

Every East Coast governor except Maine’s governor has come out against this
    LePage was smart enough to realize that.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-04-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Even if you don’t care about the suffering, dying and extinction of intelligent, sentient, marine mammals, even if you don’t care that $billion dollar tourism and seafood economies along the east coast will be destroyed, do you really want to eat deformed shrimp, polluted fish and seafood, and push forward to a day when all life in our oceans are gone? Many here will say ‘yes’, and that is where i differ strongly with libertarians. i don’t want to live in a world overpopulated with humans that have completely exploited and destroyed the natural world: everytime i drive through the overpopulated northern Virginia where it’s a challenge to find a blade of green grass in a concrete jungle, i cringe. Joni Mitchell was right when she sang: “Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone; they paved paradise and they put up a parking lot.” I believe God wants us to care for the natural world and sentient beings we share this earth with, not destroy and exploit it for human and corporate greed, power, and selfishness. And apparently voting municipalities along the entire east coast, representing millions of people currently living in harmony with nature, agree.
    You know how you reduce human impact and overpopulation?

By generating wealth.

First world nations reduce human impact and have declining birth rates.

You know how you generate wealth?

With cheap and easily obtainable energy.

And, yes, as is currently occurring in the Gulf of Mexico and in the one well off California’s coast, federal law allows the dumping of all extremely toxic fracking chemicals into federal waters for offshore fracking for gas.
    Overlapping UN regulations and MARPOL regulations have declared the USGoM to be a "Special Area".

No discharges of any type, other than food waste ground to bits less than 25mm, and more than 12 miles offshore are permitted.

Waste cuttings, fracking chemicals, drilling fluids, household trash and dunnage are all collected for disposal and treatment at shoreside facilities.

It was, in fact, compliance with these regulations, that was a major contributor to the chain of events that led to the Deepwater Horizon disaster.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-04-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Hurricanes in the Gulf Coast are relatively mild compared to the Atlantic
    This is false.

The deadliest natural disaster EVER in US history was the 1900 Galveston, Texas hurricane.

Camille, Katrina, Rita, Harvey, Wilma (the most powerful hurricane ever) also come to mind.

All US GoM

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I agree with bunklo. These companies shouldn't have to pay for any stinking permit. They should just go in there and do their blasting wherever they feel like it and have the hardware to blow away anybody that comes around trying to stop them.
    That's not the point, we would all like even less government involvement but ending a BAN is an improvement.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

i believe God wants man to live in harmony with, and care for, the natural world and all its sentient beings, not exploit and destroy it for greed, power, money and selfishness.
    Fair enough.

I quit.

Now, pay my mortgage.

The coastal communities up and down the east coast and the $billions their economies generate from tourism and the seafood industry will be destroyed. Trump will destroy the livelihoods of millions of people for a finite amount of oil.
    You know what destroyed the commercial fishing industry?

Government.

You know what did decades of damage to NJ tourism?

Garbage and needles on the beaches.

You know who dumped that $#@!?

Government.

So the Gulf is dying.
    This also false, and all I have to do right this second is look.

If anything is doing damage, it is the algae blooms causing oxygen deprivation.

Triggered by runoff from the rivers, caused by fertilizer pollution.

Millions of tons of which are used to grow ethanol corn stock, to adulterate petroleum based gasoline, which makes it less efficient, more costly and a net energy loser.

Mandated by...government.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I totally agree with this- 1 billion %.

+ REP
    So opening the doors to millions of poor, poorly educated, overbreeding migrants will help this situation how, exactly?

Scientists predict by the year 2045 there will be no more wild fish in the sea because of overfishing and human pollution.
    They predicted that commercially affordable petroleum would be gone by 2000.

They predicted that the US had hit "Peak Oil" in 1970 and that we would have to import more and more, at higher and higher prices, forever.

The US is now the largest producer in the world.

A gallon of gas costs less now, adjusted for currency devaluation, than it did in 1965.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-04-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Yes the Gulf has seeps, and these seeps are small enough that natural bacteria around them can consume them without harming other life.
    Naturally occurring seeps release between one and five MILLION gallons every year in the US GoM

I could de-construct this all day long, point by point by point.

But this apparently has stuck a nerve, and elicited some really ugly responses, so I'm inclined to just drop it.

Go ahead, live in darkness, see if I care, dark is cheap and I'll get by...

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.

But this apparently has stuck a nerve, and elicited some really ugly responses, so I'm inclined to just drop it.

I was rather enjoying your deconstruction.

It's why I asked. Things still get hashed out pretty good here once in a while, like the good old days....
    "The Patriarch"

So you are angry that the American people get paid royalties from oil companies drilling and producing on federally "owned" offshore lease blocks?

Is that it?
    Should I be keeping my eye out for a royalty check?

Me, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

What about the whales?
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Should I be keeping my eye out for a royalty check?
    Write your congresscritter.

It would work out to what, about 30 cents?

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    What about the whales?
    What kept whales from being hunted to extinction?

Discovery of drilled petroleum wells.

Same here.

AF, curious what your thoughts are on possible effects to humans near by?
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6716487

What kept whales from being hunted to extinction?

Discovery of drilled petroleum wells.
    Out of rep.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast