View Poll Results: Should We Boycott Self Checkout....

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should all Use self checkout , its trendy

1 7.14%
  • These idiot checkers , especially the really old ones should go back to school and get real jobs

3 21.43%
  • No One shoul have to work, vote Hillary next round........

1 7.14%
  • I boycott self check kiosks

5 35.71%
  • I leave a full cart when and exit the store when there is only self checkout

4 28.57%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: All Here on Board With Boycotting Self Checkout Kiosks ?

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    If every employer fixed and rigged the employment market so that the only option available was every employee being required to work 9 hours for only 8 hours of pay would you find this totally acceptable as a free market? This is what they are doing to you as a customer and you are letting them do it.
    This kind of anti-free market thinking here at RPF is really weird to see.

I can't understand what it is you're even hypothesizing here. If employees have to work 9 hours, then whatever they agree to get paid for that 9 hours of work is their pay for 9 hours of work, not 8 hours, even if they engage in some kind of accounting mumbo jumbo where they write the number 8 instead of 9 on their time sheets.

But the price they can charge for their labor should be determined by the free market. Yes.

If they're providing more productivity to their employer than their employer is willing to pay them for, then they're in a good position to go to a competitor of their employer's and sell their labor to them at a higher price.

If a bunch of employers tried to "rig" the market, as you say, then they would just be creating a great opportunity for another competitor outside their collusion who refuses to participate who will be able to attract all their best workers away from them, pay them more, and still make a profit off of them.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    I enjoy the freedom of choice and use both. There are times when there are no long lines and the cashier is pretty quick. There are other times when the cashier seems to be taking their good old time, or people in the lines chat on phones while transferring their stuff from buggy to belt, so I do the self-checkout and whiz right through. I do not worry about "jobs" so much, human cashiers are employed, as are the folks who design, manufacture, program, upgrade and service the auto check-out equipment.

Problem is once it becomes accepted by a "conditioned society" there will no longer be the second option available, the one option will become universal practice and be forced on everyone like it or not. It becomes "one size fits all" without compensation.
    “The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

@ATruepatriot

In a world full of battery operated and electric power tools and such, which I do have and use, most of the time I prefer a good 'ol hammer, wooden miter box, manual screwdrivers and socket sets where I have better control and they keep my arms fit. I do not think manual screwdrivers will go away anytime soon.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

It's a dumb move from a business aspect anyways. It discourages buying full carts of product while there. What do you do with a stuffed cart full and no place to put them after scanning them? It is counter productive and very inconvenient for the customers who are there to buy more than just a couple items and they are not going to do it. They are shooting themselves in the foot with this, the intelligent objective for a store is to have EVERY customer buy as much as you can sell them each trip. Volume sales is what you want, and if you make it hard for them at check out they will stop doing this altogether and come buy only what they cannot find somewhere else that does not have it.
    Yeah but all the people buying a jar of mustard and a banana are clogging up the checkout lines. Soooo instead of no more than 10 item checkouts should really be must have 20 items to checkout. Drive all those other people buying ten item or less to self checkout! Dunno what to do about all the people with between 10 and 20 items.... limbo i guess.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post

I can't understand what it is you're even hypothesizing here. If employees have to work 9 hours, then whatever they agree to get paid for that 9 hours of work is their pay for 9 hours of work, not 8 hours, even if they engage in some kind of accounting mumbo jumbo where they write the number 8 instead of 9 on their time sheets.

But the price they can charge for their labor should be determined by the free market. Yes.

If they're providing more productivity to their employer than their employer is willing to pay them for, then they're in a good position to go to a competitor of their employer's and sell their labor to them at a higher price.

If a bunch of employers tried to "rig" the market, as you say, then they would just be creating a great opportunity for another competitor outside their collusion who refuses to participate who will be able to attract all their best workers away from them, pay them more, and still make a profit off of them.
    Would you then feel it is fair to have to go to the field and pick your own vegetables and pay the same price as you used to from a store with full customer service just because society has been brainwashed into accepting this as the only option? This self service for the same price as full service trend is becoming universal practice and if we give an inch they will take a mile for the same price. They are charging us for our own work at that point and it is dumb as hell to embrace this concept like we are.
    “The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    Yeah but all the people buying a jar of mustard and a banana are clogging up the checkout lines. Soooo instead of no more than 10 item checkouts should really be must have 20 items to checkout. Drive all those other people buying ten item or less to self checkout! Dunno what to do about all the people with between 10 and 20 items.... limbo i guess.
    If allowed, there will come a time when self check out will be the only option, then those full carts will be clogging up the self checkout taking even longer to get themselves checked out. Then we are right back to where we started but they are still charging full service price for the very same inconvenience as before. It is just going to remove one problem and create a different and equal problem in the end.

You want taxpayer funded UBI?

Because this is how you get taxpayer funded UBI...
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    @ATruepatriot

In a world full of battery operated and electric power tools and such, which I do have and use, most of the time I prefer a good 'ol hammer, wooden miter box, manual screwdrivers and socket sets where I have better control and they keep my arms fit. I do not think manual screwdrivers will go away anytime soon.
    They will when they completely quit making them and they are unavailable... which is what we are headed towards with this trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Hogwash. If you're asking what I would choose between minimum wage laws and UBI if I had a gun to my head, then I honestly don't know. Maybe I would choose MW under that circumstance. But that's not the point. If choice A is less bad than choice B that doesn't make choice A good, and it doesn't mean we have to pretend it is and stop helping people understand what's wrong with it.

Would you then feel it is fair to have to go to the field and pick your own vegetables and pay the same price as you used to from a store with full customer service just because society has been brainwashed into accepting this as the only option?
    What a weird question. No, I wouldn't find that fair, and neither would anyone else, which is why it can't happen. Just because somebody has a different preference than you doesn't mean they've been brainwashed.

They will when they completely quit making them and they are unavailable... which is what we are headed towards with this trend.

Are you just worried because it is more difficult to find a good buggy-whip these days? You can still get them if you look around ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    So it seems a lot here go to full service gas stations.
    That's all we have in NJ. People that grew up here often have no clue how to pump gas themselves when they go out of state.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    That's all we have in NJ. People that grew up here often have no clue how to pump gas themselves when they go out of state.
    Yet another thing I hate about NJ. There are times when I am dressed in business attire and appreciate the full service, but when my biker cap is on with a smoke in my mouth I do NOT want people touching my car or bike!

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Same in Oregon I think, self service fuel is against the law. They claim it is for safety reasons caused by a couple pump fires, but I think it might be a ploy to help create at least minimal chance of employment at gas stations.

What a weird question. No, I wouldn't find that fair, and neither would anyone else, which is why it can't happen. Just because somebody has a different preference than you doesn't mean they've been brainwashed.
    It's a good analogy because it WILL happen if we continue to accept these trends with ignorance. We are paying them for the opportunity to do work for them. Just brilliant...

Hogwash. If you're asking what I would choose between minimum wage laws and UBI if I had a gun to my head, then I honestly don't know. Maybe I would choose MW under that circumstance. But that's not the point. If choice A is less bad than choice B that doesn't make choice A good, and it doesn't mean we have to pretend it is and stop helping people understand what's wrong with it.
    Of course it's the point.

Automate everything and what do suppose billions of people are gonna do?

Twiddle their thumbs until they die?

No, they're going to demand you pay them to exist.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Just because somebody has a different preference than you doesn't mean they've been brainwashed.
    That's pretty hilarious right there...

No it doesn't. It represents an economic benefit that brings a net gain in employment with it.

That's true. But I'm sure there are rickshaw drivers who, much like cashiers, beg to differ.

Do you also boycott gas stations where you have to pump your own gas, rather than having a full-time employee do that for you?

Good, so with respect to cars and sewing machines you actually get it. Now just apply that exact same reasoning to every other form of automation that reduces the amount of human labor required to accomplish any task, such as self-checkouts in stores.
    lmao , what complete blsht..........

; )

That's pretty hilarious right there...
    As folks camp all night in front of a store and then squash each other to death when it opens just to be the first to buy a new iphone release...

Nope... No mass brainwashing going on here... lol

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I knew someone would vote for the third option .
    Do something Danke

I guess you can say I'm sort of a do-it-yourself guy. I don't like other people serving me when I can do it myself. Unless we're talking about chicks.. But I have no issue dragging my groceries over a laser beam and bagging them myself. I like buffet's because you don't have strangers taking my order and bringing me my food. What are they, my friggin slave? I can go get my own food. I guess it's nice if you're out with a chick and you want to feel lavish.

I cut my own hair and rarely hire jobs out unless it's something that I cannot do myself. So self-checkout lines are a natural progression. I love them - Especially when they are empty and all the peons are in the line waiting for somebody else to check them out.
    Last edited by dannno; 06-24-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Of course it's the point.

Automate everything and what do suppose billions of people are gonna do?

Twiddle their thumbs until they die?

No, they're going to demand you pay them to exist.
    This is all nonsense.

It's impossible to automate *everything*. There's always going to be infinitely more to do.

But if we did automate what you consider to be everything, then all of us being paid to exist is exactly what that would entail, and no government involvement would even be needed. Our basic needs would all be met by the automated everything. We wouldn't work to provide our basic needs, we would work to improve the world above and beyond that, or at least we who wanted to would do that, and those who didn't want to wouldn't have to.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 06-24-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I love them - Especially when they are empty and all the peons are in the line waiting for somebody else to check them out.
    I have many times watched the lines at self check out get longer and go slower than full check out and still they keep piling into the self check out line "because it's faster". lol

This is all nonsense.

It's impossible to automate *everything*. There's always going to be infinitely more to do.

But if we did automate what you consider to be everything, then all of us being paid to exist is exactly what that would entail, and no government involvement would even be needed. Our basic needs would all be met by the automated everything. We wouldn't work to provide our basic needs, we would work to improve the world above and beyond that, or at least we who wanted to would do that, and those who didn't want to wouldn't have to.
    You might want to go back over that again and reconsider cause and effect. Is all this automation to do everything for us going to be free? If not how are we going to purchase it if there is no longer a need for our labor?

You might want to go back over that again and reconsider cause and effect. Is all this automation to do everything for us going to be free? If not how are we going to purchase it if there is no longer a need for our labor?
    Superfluous Man must of watched Wall E too many times.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

The heads of all of the major corporations (and a lot of minor ones) are working together to implement the Orwellian state. Once you see it, it becomes plainly obvious that it is all coordinated, with the eventual goal being to remove all untracked commerce and implement a blockchain based biometric "payment" system that we can never opt out of. Will resistance stop it? No, there's too many clueless sheep that are happy to trade any remaining shreds of freedom for the illusion of convenience but you can slow the gears down a little by insisting on manned checkout lanes, as one poster did, and complaining that prices aren't being reduced even though we're now doing the labor.

They want a slave society where everyone works for free ("paid" in imaginary money that only exists in the mind), does all of the labor to sustain their own lives, owns/possesses absolutely nothing (watch for more and more propaganda about "minimalist living", aimed at urbanites) of value and is granted existence on a literal day-by-day basis by the technology overlords. If someone chooses a similarly minimalist, self-sustaining life in a rural area they will be allowed to continue mostly unharmed. If living in a city, it will be by their rules. Arguably there is a fine line between the minimalist rural life and the minimalist urban life (how different are they really?) but some level of freedom will still exist in the rural example. I'm reminded of TJ's quote about "the inconveniences attending too much liberty to the conveniences of attending too little of it." This is the choice that everyone will have to make.
    Last edited by devil21; 06-24-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

QUOTE=devil21;6818130]The heads of all of the major corporations (and a lot of minor ones) are working together to implement the Orwellian state. Once you see it, it becomes plainly obvious that it is all coordinated, with the eventual goal being to remove all untracked commerce and implement a blockchain based biometric "payment" system that we can never opt out of. Will resistance stop it? No, there's too many clueless sheep that are happy to trade any remaining shreds of freedom for the illusion of convenience but you can slow the gears down a little by insisting on manned checkout lanes, as one poster did, and complaining that prices aren't being reduced even though we're now doing the labor.

They want a 100% slave society where everyone works for free ("paid" in imaginary money that only exists in the mind), does all of the labor to sustain their own lives, owns/possesses absolutely nothing (watch for more and more propaganda about "miniminalist living", even in cities) of value and is granted existence on a literal day-by-day basis by the technology overlords. If someone chooses a similarly minimalist, self-sustaining life in a rural area they will be allowed to continue mostly unharmed. If living in a city, it will be by their rules. Arguably there is a fine line between the minimalist rural life and the minimalist urban life (how different are they really?) but some level of freedom will still exist in the rural example. I'm reminded of TJ's quote about "the inconveniences attending too much liberty to the conveniences of attending too little of it." This is the choice that everyone will have to make.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Well explained.
    Last edited by ATruepatriot; 06-24-2019 at 01:14 PM.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Absolutely. Well explained.
    I edited it a bit further for clarity as some important distinctions needed to be made. I'd appreciate if you could edit the final version into the quote.
    Last edited by devil21; 06-24-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

I have many times watched the lines at self check out get longer and go slower than full check out and still they keep piling into the self check out line "because it's faster". lol
    There are usually at least 4 self-check out stalls in an area where you can normally only fit 2 checkout lines. Sometimes there are 6. So the lines move 2-3 times as fast. But typically, there are empty stalls at the self-checkout and lines at the regular checkout.

One thing you can't do at self-checkout is buy alcohol, so some types of transactions are relegated to the regular checkout lines.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast