Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Ore. man who died in Yellowstone hot spring was trying to 'hot pot'

Report: Ore. man who died in Yellowstone hot spring was trying to 'hot pot'

Report: Ore. man who died in Yellowstone hot spring was trying to 'hot pot'

An Oregon man who died after falling into a boiling, acidic spring in Yellowstone National Park in June, was trying to ‘hot pot,” or soak in one of the park’s thermal pools, according to a report on the accident.

The victim’s sister, Sable Scott, told park officials that she watched her brother, Colin Nathaniel Scott, 23, fall into a thermal pool while he reached down to check the water temperature, according to a report released Monday by Yellowstone officials.
    According to the report, the brother and sister illegally ventured off the boardwalk at Norris Geyser Basin. Sable told park officials she recorded the journey on her cell phone, and captured Colin's fall on her cell phone, though the video was not released with the report.
    Rescuers arrived at the hot springs and determined that Colin was dead after seeing the “upper torso of a male victim floating face-up in a pool.”

According to the report, the water temperature in the ten-foot-deep pool was over 212 degrees Fahrenheit.

Officials were unable to retrieve Colin's body on June 7, so they returned the following morning, but the body was no longer visible, according to the report.

“Evidence suggests that the extreme heat and the acidity of the water quickly dissolved his body in the hot spring,” according to the report, which stated his causes of death was ‘”scalding due to submersion in thermal hot spring.”
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-pot/94015314/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jeez.... that's a freaking horrible way to go....
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

That's gotta hurt.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

WTF
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    That's gotta hurt.

only until his nerve endings cook...

take what...about 30 seconds?...

there's vid, but it might be awhile until we get to see it....if ever.

Meanwhile, sister Sable is now the sole heir to their family's fortune. Mwah ha ha!!!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Oh, that's sad. I thought 'hot pot' was some kinky UD code word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Oh, that's sad. I thought 'hot pot' was some kinky UD code word.
    Isn't that true for just about everything you read?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    That's horrible
    I cannot imagine anyone fooling with the hot water .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Isn't that true for just about everything you read?
    Nope. I didn't know the names of any of this crazy stuff until Philem's blumpkins thread. Except, Lucky Pierre. That was on an episode of King of the Hill and Mr Animal explained it to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

The first headline I saw was more about the acid eating him up than boiling him alive.

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post

Ya, I bet he won't try that again.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Were there not any signs warning them that a hot spring might be hot?

Yellowstone Park should be sued for it's negligence.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post

There were signs. There are just a lot of outlaws in that area.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Seriously? Do people not know that hot springs are too hot to swim in? I thought we all knew this after hearing about the guy who jumped in to save his dog and burned to death, but not before being taken out and having skin slough off of him. Disgusting.

Also, 'hot pot' in China is cooking a bunch of noodles, veggies and meat in a pot of boiling water. So, that's what I thought he was doing when reading the headline. Didn't know there was a word for bathing in a hot spring since usually, people are aware that you can't really do it....
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post

No. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    No. Thanks.
    What? You're not even the least bit curious to see what it looks like when a man is boiled to death? This could be... educational.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post

More federal park kops would prevent these horrors..

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    Seriously? Do people not know that hot springs are too hot to swim in? I thought we all knew this after hearing about the guy who jumped in to save his dog and burned to death, but not before being taken out and having skin slough off of him. Disgusting.

Also, 'hot pot' in China is cooking a bunch of noodles, veggies and meat in a pot of boiling water. So, that's what I thought he was doing when reading the headline. Didn't know there was a word for bathing in a hot spring since usually, people are aware that you can't really do it....
    I didn't know that, all I know about Hot springs is that I see monkeys in Japan swim in it to stay warm. I really don't think its conventional wisdom to believe that hot springs are not appropriate to swim in.

Well, now I know where to take a body if I ever need to...
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I didn't know that, all I know about Hot springs is that I see monkeys in Japan swim in it to stay warm. I really don't think its conventional wisdom to believe that hot springs are not appropriate to swim in.
    Actually I didn't know that either. Though hopefully I would have observed signs posted. Kinda like those don't go near the water ALLIGATORS signs Disney has in Florida for people from Idaho... Oops sorry, guess they didn't post signs as I remember a debate here that "everyone" know alligators are a threat in Florida.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Seriously? Do people not know that hot springs are too hot to swim in?
    Seriously,, No.

Millions of people visit hot springs in several places around the world. And there are several in Yellowstone. This was someone on his own making his own mistake.
    Or just successfully faked his own death.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

“Evidence suggests that the extreme heat and the acidity of the water quickly dissolved his body in the hot spring,” according to the report, which stated his causes of death was ‘”scalding due to submersion in thermal hot spring.”
    Well doh. But I guess fewer and fewer people know how to cook so they'd probably didn't know that meat can fall of bones and fall apart and or partially dissolve in a hot acidic solution...

We use mustard as acid for Dutch beef stew.
    "I am a bird"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Certainly.. Hanging around in hot-springs is an Icelandic tradition...

It just depends on which spring it is, some are near boiling, others are much cooler...
    "I am a bird"

Perhaps so, but that's not the first person who's died horribly in Yellowstone by jumping/falling into one. I kind of expected people to know this about Yellowstone.
    Last edited by PaulConventionWV; 11-18-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Certainly.. Hanging around in hot-springs is an Icelandic tradition...

It just depends on which spring it is, some are near boiling, others are much cooler...
    That's one examples, but I have seen the almost boiling ones where monkeys in Japan lounge in. It's so iconic that it comes on in just about any nature show about Japan, those spring are much smaller with steam coming out of it.

I bet that is what most people think about when they think about hot springs. I know better now and won't be dipping into any hot springs

Perhaps so, but that's not the first person who's died horribly in Yellowstone by jumping/falling into one. I kind of expected people to know this about Yellowstone.
    The guy in the OP seemed to have slipped into the spring while trying to check the temp. It seems like he knew there could be potential dangers in the Yellow stone hot spring. What a tragic story.

Very sad story. will be interesting to see if the video turns up in the dark corners of the net.
    No - No - No - No

Another life lost despite "protection" by the law.

Guns save lives.

Poor, poor Sable. I cant even imagine how this will haunt her.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast