Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freedom in One State: The Free State Project

Freedom in One State: The Free State Project

In the last legislative session, New Hampshire cut its state budget by more than 12%, and stopped the out-of-control borrowing of the previous legislature. Over the last few years, the state has reduced bureaucratic controls on everything from beer brewing to switchblades (NH in fact has no knife laws whatsoever, thanks to state rep Jenn Coffey; the entire body of 1800s-era anti-Scotsman dirk laws has been tossed). This session, bills for everything from school tax credits to marijuana decriminalization have been introduced.

These pro-liberty political winds blew into the 2012 presidential campaign, giving Ron Paul a second-place finish in the nation’s first primary. If the Free State Project had reached its modest goal of 20,000 movers, Ron Paul would have won the first primary by a landslide and had a real shot at the nomination.
    Unfortunately, like Abraham at Sodom and Gomorrah (modern-day name: “ManchVegas”), we didn’t reach our quota of righteous citizens… so instead of 20,000 activists, we have a dozen overworked state reps, a few school board members and selectmen, and a few hundred “irregulars” who show up for the Revolution’s battles when we can.
    Government unions and pro-corporate-welfare politicians blame the pro-liberty storm on “Ron Paul radicals from the Free State Project”. They’re right… but what they don’t mention is how few activists it took to roll back government. 1,000 libertarians have moved to New Hampshire so far, but only a few are regular activists. Unlike pro-government forces, we all work for a living.

There are a dozen state reps and one state senator who are Free State Project movers. They have worked incredibly hard to help the pro-liberty legislators who were already here (New Hampshire was chosen because it arguably had the most pro-liberty culture of any state). This little group has terrified the government unions and the pro-corporate-welfare legislators alike.

The NHLA

The New Hampshire Liberty Alliance (nhliberty.org, or see their FB page) is the driving force behind legislative accomplishments in NH. It provides the 400+ citizen legislators (NH state reps and senators are only paid $100) with information on upcoming bills and publishes a newsletter that is distributed directly to the legislature. This newsletter, the Gold Standard, is a unique resource that gives NH government more transparency than any other state.

The NHLA also rates legislators based on their votes, using the pro- or anti- liberty bill ratings. This gives voters a way to track their representatives. Finally, the NHLA has an active PAC. The PAC is strictly nonpartisan, donating to candidates according to their fiscal conservatism and support for personal freedoms rather than party affiliation. (Yes, for two terms there was actually a pro-liberty Democrat in New Hampshire; it can happen). Of course the NHLA ratings are just as useful for “progressives” as for fiscal conservatives… for people who believe that North Korea is the ideal, they can simply vote for legislators with an “F” rating.

The Future of the Free State Project

The Free State Project has not officially even begun. The original idea from Jason Sorens was that AFTER we got 20,000 activists to sign up, then the move to the chosen state would begin.
    The results of our tiny band of early movers show that the full-scale Free State Project would work if it were really tried. Libertarians and ancaps around the country should consider joining us and actually winning elections and repealing laws, rather than fighting outnumbered and unheard, or worse yet just yelling at your TVs.
    With 20,000 activists, the state-level barriers to liberty would be blown away. Public “education” is the single biggest barrier to freedom in the world, and it’s controlled at the state and town level. The Drug War would be hard to implement if every state and local official opposed it. Finally, the Federal government is printing its currency into oblivion. The state governments may be a lot more important in the near future, especially in states that manage to stay solvent.

And of course, state politicians turn into Federal politicians. The next crop of NH congressmen and senators could come from the ranks of our Ron Paul-endorsing state legislators.

A state with a healthy economy that privatized education and eliminated Prohibition would be an unanswerable argument to Progressives: “Well, New Hampshire doesn’t have program “X”, yet they’re getting along fine”. (Any HONEST Progressive would want a “control group” state, and support us… let me know if anyone finds one).

That’s the benefit to the country and the world. The benefit to YOU if you move here is that your business or your job will be located in a free-enterprise-friendly area. And you’ll live among people who speak your language… and don’t expect you to give up your beliefs.
    So… Just Do It!

New Hampshire is truly beautiful, if you like the outdoors. The kayaking, hunting, fishing, hiking, skiing etc. is as good as you could want. If on the other hand you don’t like bears and moose in your yard, Manchester is a fine place to live as well. Manchester airport has Southwest Airlines and short entry lines, you can get to most places from Manchester as fast as from anywhere. And the Internet looks the same in New Hampshire as anywhere else… so why not live with lower taxes and a falling level of government?

Come visit New Hampshire and try it out. Drop in on Murphy’s Taproom in Manchester. The Live Free or Die rally is lots of fun. PorcFest is “Woodstock for Libertarians” (and it is in the White Mountains, if you get policy seminar overdose you can just go hiking). If you come by the Dartmouth area, let me know and we can hike up Mount Cardigan or Ascutney.

If you have such a secure job that you just can’t leave (?), then you can still move to the Free State virtually. Contact the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance and volunteer for bill review (it helps to have a degree from Miskatonic U to do bill review, but it’s not required). Listen to Free Talk Live, the nationally syndicated libertarian call-in show out of Keene NH.

Donate to the FSP itself, or to the NHLA PAC. Or fund a pro-liberty legislator like Jenn Coffey, Seth Cohn, or Mark Warden, or one of the other ‘A’ rated reps from the NHLA ratings. You’ll be helping create a Free State where you can work or retire…. And an example of freedom for the whole country.

-Bill Walker... visit my FB page https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Bi...22478167836386

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    In the last legislative session, New Hampshire cut its state budget by more than 12%, and stopped the out-of-control borrowing of the previous legislature. Over the last few years, the state has reduced bureaucratic controls on everything from beer brewing to switchblades (NH in fact has no knife laws whatsoever, thanks to state rep Jenn Coffey; the entire body of 1800s-era anti-Scotsman dirk laws has been tossed).
    Yes, yes, yes. Welcome. Here is my Report, the 2011 New Hampshire Liberty Related Bills Report.

There are a dozen state reps and one state senator who are Free State Project movers.
    In all honesty, as far as I know, the number of state reps. is higher than a dozen but there isn't a state stator that has moved, although three of the state senators in NH did endorse Ron Paul, and one may not have been elected without the help of free staters.

The New Hampshire Liberty Alliance (nhliberty.org, or see their FB page)...
    I love the NHLA. I wish a similar group in any other state was even 1/4 as effective. Sadly, no other state seems to have anything even close to the NHLA.
    Website, Facebook page, Facebook group

-Bill Walker...
    Thanks Bill. For those not in the loop on this, Bill Walker writes at LewRockwell.com and writes at a NH Patch (including articles about Ron Paul.)
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 03-11-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

The problem is, the state pretty much already chosen is New Hampshire. And people simply are not going to want to move to New Hampshire.

IT is not exactly easy to pick up and move to a new state these days either. Expect a lot of New Hampshire residences on food stamps if suddenly 20,000 people moved there with no jobs accompanying them. Unemployment would skyrocket.

I'd seriously consider New Hampshire, but I work in the film (visual effects) industry and just have no idea what kind of work I'd be able to find.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyG View Post
    The problem is, the state pretty much already chosen is New Hampshire. And people simply are not going to want to move to New Hampshire.
    And not everybody would want to move to the desert, the sun belt, big sky country, or the mid west either. NH is a great option, IMO.

IT is not exactly easy to pick up and move to a new state these days either.
    Studies show that poorer peoples migrate more fluidly than richer. And of you're out of a job, why not start looking in/near NH in addition to your local area?

Expect a lot of New Hampshire residences on food stamps if suddenly 20,000 people moved there with no jobs accompanying them. Unemployment would skyrocket.
    What? With more people comes more demand for consumer goods, more demand for food and goods and services. And many of the movers are bringing skills and capital with them. I'd think the more movers, the LESS welfare demands there will be on the NH govt.

If you don't like it, start brainstorming better options. Naysaying isn't helping.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jbuttell View Post
    I'd seriously consider New Hampshire, but I work in the film (visual effects) industry and just have no idea what kind of work I'd be able to find.
    I know that there are visual effects artists already there.

You could try to post to the FSP boards to see if anyone could hook you up with some contacts.

You could also see about remote-working options. You don't always have to be on-site for that type of work.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

I want to see that budget go down again. Biennial, right? Next time, make it go down by 20%.

Or 30%!

50%!

Oh, make it 100!

Are we trying to make New Hampshire our little "Utopia?"

Kudos the N.H. and all they have done. I would never move there, personally. But, may that state and it's residents be a beacon of freedom for the future.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is a great project, I hope it does well and that others like it get organized in some of our low pop states. This method could work in a few states in the Union
    Delegates Matter MORE than the Popular Vote Find Out Why

2012 GOP Nominating Process (Demystified)

"The true danger is when Liberty is nibbled away, for expedients and by parts.... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men do nothing."
    CVRP connecting the troops, and those who support them, to grassroots action. Join Us

Then get off your ass and start a free state project in a completely different region. Maybe every 5th or 10th state should become a liberty magnet. Don't bitch about their success because they made a choice.

IT is not exactly easy to pick up and move to a new state these days either. Expect a lot of New Hampshire residences on food stamps if suddenly 20,000 people moved there with no jobs accompanying them. Unemployment would skyrocket.
    This isn't the food-stamp demographic. A job is what we call work. Work is being productive with your hands, your mind, whatever you have. Jobs are not some liberal or government creation. They don't come from big business or government spending. If you don't get it, then walk into the woods, grab some wood nobody cares are about and start carving or building something (don't let TBTB see you take their wood).

There is no reason a large nationwide group of people should be unemployed. Dependency on governement destroys independence. The string pullers want these people dependent on them. That they are unemployed is unfortunate but typical of planned economies.

The Free State Project has not officially even begun. The original idea from Jason Sorens was that AFTER we got 20,000 activists to sign up, then the move to the chosen state would begin.
    The results of our tiny band of early movers show that the full-scale Free State Project would work if it were really tried. Libertarians and ancaps around the country should consider joining us and actually winning elections and repealing laws, rather than fighting outnumbered and unheard, or worse yet just yelling at your TVs.
    This.

Also, I hate NH too. Too cold, but cold weather is a very small price to pay for real, legitimate, freedom.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Too cold, but cold weather is a very small price to pay for real, legitimate, freedom.
    It was in the 60s most of last week. It will be 73 today, 70 on Tuesday, 68 on Wednesday, 61 on Thursday, 61 on Friday, 70 on Saturday, 64 on Sunday and 63 on Sunday. This is winter in New Hampshire. It is colder than most of the country, but not substantially. For example, if a person can handle the weather in Denver, Chicago or New York City, that person should have no trouble handling the weather in Salem, Nashua or Seabrook, NH.
    http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...2C+nh#forecast

There are very free parts of New Hampshire, and they tend to be near the mountains and in colder areas. For example, Grafton, NH. Grafton is known for being one of the freest places in the world modern. It will be 63 today and 64 on Tuesday in Grafton.
    http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...=grafton%2C+nh
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    For example, if a person can handle the weather in Denver, Chicago or New York City
    Yep. Too much snow.

1 day of snow a year in Dallas is one day too many imo.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Wife & I are seriously considering this......
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

i am a signer and mover

i hope yall can join me

Quote Originally Posted by shemdogg View Post
    i am a signer and mover

i hope yall can join me
    The main things we would move there for, more than the freedom living, is the 'strength in numbers.' Is this a big movement? Is this the way to go? Are a lot of people doing this? I don't want to get up there and be just as isolated as I am now (a drop of libertarianism in a sea of big gov't lovers).
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I posted this is the New Hampshire subforum but I suppose it's still relevant here:

This woman comes from NH.....

....are you sure you still want to move there?

Disclaimer: I think the FSP is a good idea and don't really think one individual speaks for an entire state.
    Please visit the Free Talk Live YouTube Channel

My twitter: @Samuel_E_Amer
    The best liberty videos on YouTube: Freedom

The Philosophy of Liberty
    www.mises.org
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

The Potential of the Free State Project

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    The main things we would move there for, more than the freedom living, is the 'strength in numbers.' Is this a big movement? Is this the way to go? Are a lot of people doing this? I don't want to get up there and be just as isolated as I am now (a drop of libertarianism in a sea of big gov't lovers).
    If you were to move now, you'd probably feel like a drop in a sea, ya. This is because people like myself, and 11,000 others like me, haven't moved there yet, and are waiting for the full 20,000 pledges.

You don't need to move now, but I would encourage you to sign the pledge, and when the FSP does reach it's full potential, you will see real changes towards freedom.

They have accomplished a lot with 1,000. I can only imagine what they could do with 20,000.
    - Kim Kardashian

Over 1,000 already have.

Please read: Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt.

You can download a free pdf or audiobook version for free here: http://mises.org/document/6785/Economics-in-One-Lesson

It's a short read and really interesting. You'll find it gripping, I promise you. It's such an enjoyable read that most people (myself included) who read it once, read it over and over again. It's truly fantastic (and recommended by Ron Paul too).
    Last edited by Crotale; 03-12-2012 at 12:03 PM.

www.mises.org

Quote Originally Posted by Crotale View Post
    I posted this is the New Hampshire subforum but I suppose it's still relevant here:

This woman comes from NH.....

....are you sure you still want to move there?

Disclaimer: I think the FSP is a good idea and don't really think one individual speaks for an entire state.
    I think this video reenforced the idea that the FSP in NH is a good idea. The first interviewer is Bradley Jardis, a blogger for Free Keene, among other things. He used to be a cop. After talking with FSP movers, he joined Law Enforcement Against Prohibition as one of just a couple active duty (still a cop) members in the world. He eventually left LEAP because the organization thought he was too pro-liberty. He quit his job as a cop because he couldn't handle getting paid to mistreating people every day. He lives in NH and is engaged to a liberty activist that moved to NH as part of the FSP.

The second interviewer is Adam of Adam Vs. The Man. Adam filmed an episode of his TV show at Porcfest. He came up to do another episode partly about the NH Primary. He traveled up to Keene, NH and co-hosted Free Talk Live for a week.

In the interview, both interviewers are hostile to the woman. It isn't surprising that she is hostile to them. It isn't surprising that she supports Mitt Romney. He is the mainstream Republican candidate in NH. I prefer a culture where someone with Romney's views in the mainstream Republican candidate than somewhere where someone with Gingrich's or Santorum's views in the mainstream GOP candidate. I think the vast majority of pro-liberty people agree with that thought. Gingrich is insane as far as I can tell. Santorum acts extremely religious and frequently says he is against liberty and libertarianism.

Schiff_FTW

Don't call the cops or fire department in New Hampshire, unless you're willing to risk getting sued.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS07/703129960

EPPING — The town's deputy fire chief is urging residents not to stop calling for help for fear of being sued if a firefighter or other emergency worker is injured on the job.

The message came in response to concerns over a state Supreme Court ruling last month that found former volunteer Epping firefighter Jason Antosz could sue a homeowner because he slipped on ice and snow and was seriously injured during a call.

“If you call us we're going to come — don't worry about us suing you. We have a job to do,” Deputy Fire Chief Bruce Chapman told selectmen at a board meeting last week.

The case involving Antosz stemmed from a call he responded to at the Epping home of Doree Allain on Jan. 29, 2008, after a fire was reported in a water heater. Antosz slipped on packed ice and snow in the driveway and is now disabled.

Antosz, a Republican state representative, filed suit against Allain, claiming she was negligent for failing to properly treat the driveway, but a Rockingham County Superior Court judge dismissed the case, citing the Fireman's Rule, a law that prevents emergency personnel from bringing lawsuits when they're injured while responding to a call.

The state Supreme Court overturned the ruling last month, saying it can't stop an emergency responder from suing “for other negligent conduct.” The court ruled that the Fireman's Rule “permits a firefighter to pursue causes of action for injuries arising from allegedly negligent conduct that did not create the occasion of his visit, regardless of whether that conduct occurs during or prior to the firefighter's official engagement on the scene.”
    This ruling might actually turn out to be a good thing, in that hopefully now fewer people will utilize / be dependent on these services.

Why is NH not a right to work state? Do I have to join a Labor Union to work in NH?

Can we pick a warmer state... New hampshire is small and geographically preferred. But I would like a warmer climate and bigger land to play with.

Why is NH not a right to work state? Do I have to join a Labor Union to work in NH?
    It used to be a right to work state. That only lasted a few years. You don't have to join a union to work in NH. I am not sure if even one of the 100s of liberty activists I do activism with in NH is a member of a union. For example, the main bread company is based in Maine and is non-unionized. So while I know people that deliver bread, they are not part of a union.

There was a big effort by some to make NH a right to work state last year. It failed by 12 votes in the NH House to overturn Gov. Lynch's veto. There is another bill to make NH right to work this year. It is worded differently. There is another bill to bring about right to work for attorneys. If it passed, it would mean that attorneys don't have to join the bar association.

The right to work issue isn't a major issue in NH, or wasn't until last year.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynn View Post
    Can we pick a warmer state... New hampshire is small and geographically preferred. But I would like a warmer climate and bigger land to play with.
    I agree that NH is the best possible state, or perhaps you didn't say that But seriously, it was already selected by many (most?) of the top liberty activists in the county at the time. Over 1000 people have already moved there. Clearly it is way too late to select a different state for many of the people involved.

I don't understand your comment about needing bigger land to play with. What does that mean? You want to buy 1 million acres or something? Already anyone lives in most of NH. It is just endless mountains, hill, streams, forests and lakes. NH is connected to VT which is mostly the same and Maine. Parts of Maine don't even have government roads because there is no one around to fund them. I really have no idea where you are coming from.

I think this video reenforced the idea that the FSP in NH is a good idea. The first interviewer is Bradley Jardis, a blogger for Free Keene, among other things. He used to be a cop. After talking with FSP movers, he joined Law Enforcement Against Prohibition as one of just a couple active duty (still a cop) members in the world. He eventually left LEAP because the organization thought he was too pro-liberty. He quit his job as a cop because he couldn't handle getting paid to mistreating people every day. He lives in NH and is engaged to a liberty activist that moved to NH as part of the FSP.

The second interviewer is Adam of Adam Vs. The Man. Adam filmed an episode of his TV show at Porcfest. He came up to do another episode partly about the NH Primary. He traveled up to Keene, NH and co-hosted Free Talk Live for a week.

In the interview, both interviewers are hostile to the woman. It isn't surprising that she is hostile to them. It isn't surprising that she supports Mitt Romney. He is the mainstream Republican candidate in NH. I prefer a culture where someone with Romney's views in the mainstream Republican candidate than somewhere where someone with Gingrich's or Santorum's views in the mainstream GOP candidate. I think the vast majority of pro-liberty people agree with that thought. Gingrich is insane as far as I can tell. Santorum acts extremely religious and frequently says he is against liberty and libertarianism.
    I don't disagree pal. I was posting it in jest, that video will never get old.

www.mises.org

I agree that NH is the best possible state, or perhaps you didn't say that But seriously, it was already selected by many (most?) of the top liberty activists in the county at the time. Over 1000 people have already moved there. Clearly it is way too late to select a different state for many of the people involved.

I don't understand your comment about needing bigger land to play with. What does that mean? You want to buy 1 million acres or something? Already anyone lives in most of NH. It is just endless mountains, hill, streams, forests and lakes. NH is connected to VT which is mostly the same and Maine. Parts of Maine don't even have government roads because there is no one around to fund them. I really have no idea where you are coming from.
    Ops, my bad, I should have emphasized that 'big' in term of population.

Quote Originally Posted by flynn View Post
    Ops, my bad, I should have emphasized that 'big' in term of population.
    Boston is less than 30 minutes south of Salem, NH if you drive at a time when there is very little traffic on the road. The Boston train line reaches all the way up to Haverhill, MA, a town that borders Salem, NH. Dozens of places are within an hours drive of Boston with those conditions. The Boston MSA, which includes a few places in NH as well as part of RI, includes around 5 million people. There are buses from Nashua, Concord and other parts of NH that run to Boston and back. There is a train line from Portland, ME to Boston that stops 10 times per day at 3 towns (30 total stops per day) in NH.

Winchester, NH to New York City is a 3 hours and 41 mins drive according to maps.google.com. Greyhound/Peter Pan takes less than 6 hours to go from Keene, NH to Times Square in New York City. There is a train line that runs along the VT/NH border in Vermont that goes to Washington DC. Stops along with train line in VT are 2 minutes from Hinsdale, NH, 6 minutes from Chesterfield, NH, 1 minutes from Walpole, NH, 5 minutes from Cornish, NH, 3 minutes from Lebanon, NH and so on. From the Hinsdale/Chesterfield area train station to New York City it takes 5 hr, 53 min., to Philly it takes 7 hr, 32min. and to Washington DC it takes 9 hr, 44 min. Both Lebanon, NH and Lancaster, NH (where Porcfest happens) are 3 hr, 20 min. from Montreal, the 2nd most populated city in Canada with 1.6 million people and an MSA of 3.8 million people.

Since moving to NH, I've been to Boston and New York City 5-10 times each. I'm not the only that goes, either. I know people that go to concerts and sporting events in Boston. I know people that go to Broadway shows in NYC. I was at Times Square for the Super Bowel, for example. Liberty lovers carpool to both cities and Philadelphia for various events. Boston has one of the largest marijuana festivals in the US. Big name liberty speakers frequent Boston and NYC. Liberty lovers commute to Student for Liberty events, End the Fed events, Anarchist Book fairs, Occupy events and more in those cities.

I'm been in the Springfield, MA MSA (700,000 people) a few times for work and pleasure. Springfield is 50 minutes from Winchester, NH and the University of Massachusetts (home of Extravaganja, a 2000+ person marijuana festival) is only 40 minutes from Winchester, NH. I've also been to the Albany, NY MSA (800,000+ people) a few times for work and pleasure. Albany is 80 miles from the NH border.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 03-12-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Boston is less than 30 minutes south of Salem, NH if you drive at a time when there is very little traffic on the road. The Boston train line reaches all the way up to Haverhill, MA, a town that borders Salem, NH. Dozens of places are within an hours drive of Boston with those conditions. The Boston MSA, which includes a few places in NH as well as part of RI, includes around 5 million people. There are buses from Nashua, Concord and other parts of NH that run to Boston and back. There is a train line from Portland, ME to Boston that stops 10 times per day a 3 towns (30 total stops per day) in NH.

Winchester, NH to New York City is a 3 hours and 41 mins drive according to maps.google.com. Greyhound/Peter Pan takes less than 6 hours to go from Keene, NH to Times Square in New York City. There is a train line that runs along the VT/NH border in Vermont that goes to Washington DC. Stops long with train line in VT are 2 minutes from Hinsdale, NH, 6 minutes from Chesterfield, NH, 1 minutes from Walpole, NH, 5 minutes from Cornish, NH, 3 minutes from Lebanon, NH and so on. From the Hinsdale/Chesterfield area train station to New York City it takes 5 hr, 53 min., to Philly it takes 7 hr, 32min. and to Washington DC it takes 9 hr, 44 min. Both Lebanon, NH and Lancaster, NH (where Porcfest happens) are 3 hr, 20 min. from Montreal, the 2nd most populated city in Canada with 1.6 million people and an MSA of 3.8 million people.

Since moving to NH, I've been to Boston and New York City 5-10 times each. I'm not the only that goes, either. I know people that go to concerts and sporting events in Boston. I know people that go to Broadway shows in NYC. I was at Times Square for the Super Bowel, for example. Liberty lovers carpool to both cities and Philadelphia for various events. Boston has one of the largest marijuana festivals in the US. Big name liberty speakers frequent Boston and NYC. Liberty lovers commute to Student for Liberty events, End the Fed events, Anarchist Book fairs, Occupy events and more in those cities.

I'm been in the Springfield, MA MSA (700,000 people) a few times for work and pleasure. Springfield is 50 minutes from the Winchester, NH and The University of Massachusetts (home of Extravaganja, a 2000+ person marijuana festival) is only 40 minutes from Winchester, NH. I've also been to the Albany, NY MSA (800,000+ people) a few times for work and pleasure. Albany is 80 miles from the NH border.
    How's the weather though?

Wife & I are seriously considering this......
    Best state in the union, absolutely worth going. I was an early mover with the FSP back in 03 and had to leave, but I'm making my way back in another year or two.
    Join the Free State Project - www.freestateproject.org

Now that Rand is out - Gary Johnson 2016!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast