Thread: Craft Brewing Has a Sexism Problem

Craft Brewing Has a Sexism Problem

There are gross puns and derogatory illustrations on far too many beer labels. The misogyny needs to stop.

By Will Gordon

Pairs nicely with misogyny.

1978 was the worst year for beer diversity in post-Prohibition America, with only 89 breweries operating in the entire country. Most of those breweries sucked, so a nation addled by other drugs might not have realized that things were starting to look up. President Carter decriminalized home-brewing that year, empowering a generation of garage-based drinkers and dreamers to develop their own recipes and techniques. A lot of these hobbyists eventually went pro, leading to the well-chronicled rise of craft beer.

Now the U.S. is home to more than 3,500 breweries, half of which have opened since 2010. There are currently thousands of companies making beer that’s better than pretty much anything that was available up through the mid-1990s. The new-wave brewers have distinguished themselves from their predecessors by employing better ingredients in innovative ways. But there’s one area in which they’re stuck in 1978: A lot of craft beer marketing is astonishingly sexist.

Only the very largest craft beer companies can afford traditional mass-media advertising—craft breweries are far more likely to sponsor charity 5Ks than NASCAR races. But just because they don’t have the means to subject television viewers to images of bikini-clad women clamoring for a Budweiser-wielding bull terrier’s affection doesn’t mean they can’t be even more offensive in their own little ways.

The first marketing decision any business faces is a product’s very name, and this is where too many craft brewers embarrass themselves and alienate potential customers.

One of the higher-profile repeat offenders is Flying Dog Brewery of Frederick, Maryland, maker of many dog- and dog-plus-one-more-entendre-themed beers including Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA and Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout. Both have ready-made plausible deniability baked into their origin stories. Raging Bitch is art, because Hunter S. Thompson sidekick Ralph Steadman designed the label; plus, duh, a bitch is a female dog!

It continues..http://www.slate.com/articles/life/d...te.single.html

Where have all the good men gone @Anti Federalist ? They are drinking craft beer or a shot of some good liquor and laughing at stupid $#@! like this article.
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Where have all the good men gone @Anti Federalist ? They are drinking craft beer or a shot of some good liquor and laughing at stupid $#@! like this article.
    Scorn, laughter and walking away are the best ways to deal with this nonsense.

By Will Gordon
    And shun manginas that spew it as well.

"Craft brewing" in my experience is code for "pretentious $#@!."

...not a fan of the hipster doofus scene.

But, yes, put all the chauvinistic bits on the bottles you like: more might make it less offensive, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    But, yes, put all the chauvinistic bits on the bottles you like: more might make it less offensive, as far as I'm concerned.
    funny, I never associated "craft brewing" with hipsters. In fact, most of the people I know that create those beers and enjoy them are middle aged middle class folk.

There is a young church going couple that lives next door to us, real nice people. He brews his own (does a pretty good job too) , uses it as a medium of exchange and likes just trading beers too. I would hardly call him a hipster doofus.

So, in your mind anyone that enjoys anything better than what comes out of a Bud-Coors- big beer company is a pretentious $#@!?
    Last edited by Origanalist; 08-05-2017 at 06:37 AM.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    funny, I never associated "craft brewing" with hipsters. In fact, most of the people I know that create those beers and enjoy them are middle aged middle class folk.
    That's been my experience, as well.

The problem isn’t that these labels hint at sex. It’s that they and others of their ilk almost never refer to mutually respectful sex. It’s ironic that the one beer name Flying Dog has seen fit to retire is Doggy Style Pale Ale, which is a cheesy thing to call a beer, but at least the act referenced isn’t inherently degrading to, or unpleasurable for, women. Sex and sexism aren’t the same thing, which is why there’s nothing wrong with Sierra Nevada calling its new pilsner Nooner. Go ahead and evoke consensual, mutually beneficial daytime screwin’ all you like. But the vast majority of beer-land sex references objectify women, or worse.
    Who says the Pearl Necklace wasn't consensual? As far as the Raging Bitch goes, how is that offensive to anyone but Raging Bitches?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

Who says the Pearl Necklace wasn't consensual? As far as the Raging Bitch goes, how is that offensive to anyone but Raging Bitches?
    Excellent point, it's not.
    "The Patriarch"

If someone takes offense to raging bitch beer , well , they may have a problem .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    In fact at our local craft brewpub, it is very family friendly with nearly as many families with little kids having dinner as diners without kids. Completely anti-hipster environment if anything.

I was under the impression that the hipsters were drinking "re-discovered" mediocre "blue collar" beers from 40 years ago like Pabst and Rolling Rock

There is a young church going couple that lives next door to us, real nice people. He brews his own (does a pretty good job too) , uses it as a medium of exchange and likes just trading beers too. I would hardly call him a hipster doofus.

So, in your mind anyone that enjoys anything better than what comes out of a Bud-Coors- big beer company is a pretentious $#@!?
    I was kidding (partly).

There is a lot of hipster-doofery about the craft brewing business, but then of course some people just like the beer.

...rather like "artisanal [insert food product]" or "non-GMO, organic, gluten free, locally sourced [whatever]."

...some honest preferences there, and some pretension.

See above.

There's also a big difference between the guys doing it themselves, for themselves, and the commercial micro-brewers.

A big part of the marketing of the latter is designed to appeal to the hipster-doofi.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 08-06-2017 at 10:26 AM.

I was enjoying the local micro brewers 30 years ago. A wonderful assortment of flavors.

does that make me "hip"?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I was enjoying the local micro brewers 30 years ago. A wonderful assortment of flavors.

does that make me "hip"?
    Was it this stuff?

"The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

does that make me "hip"?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Was it this stuff?

Another reason to despise them; they've ruined beards.

Was it this stuff?

Nope,,
    But "Terminator Stout" was one of the few dark beers I liked.
    Lots of unfiltered stuff too.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    If someone takes offense to raging bitch beer , well , they may have a problem .
    I take offense to it.

Because Belgian beers are ass.

The craft brew industry here have been playing with "sour" beers recently - actually more than a decade ago I had a beer that the brewer had intentionally skunked. He was quite good at skunking beers in ways that made them good.

Belgian beers taste like they've been doing this for centuries and nobody's clued them in about how bad they fail at it.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Belgian beer is not my favorite but I would take it over Sam Adams , Coors Light or Black Label .

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I take offense to it.

Because Belgian beers are ass.

The craft brew industry here have been playing with "sour" beers recently - actually more than a decade ago I had a beer that the brewer had intentionally skunked. He was quite good at skunking beers in ways that made them good.

Belgian beers taste like they've been doing this for centuries and nobody's clued them in about how bad they fail at it.
    I think they taste like the sweat from socks; but DW loves the Belgian beers and MIL likes em too.

Im more into ciders these days...used to drink red stripe religiously

always better with a good drink.

communication or dealings between individuals or groups.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intercourse
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

wow. it is more a sign of freedom from giant conglomerates that fight to preserve the drug war.