Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FDA to require prescription for antibiotics in livestock

FDA to require prescription for antibiotics in livestock

Farmers and ranchers will for the first time need a prescription from a veterinarian before using antibiotics in farm animals, in hopes that more judicious use of the drugs will reduce the tens of thousands of human deaths that result each year from the drugs' overuse.

The Food and Drug Administration announced the new rules Wednesday after trying for more than 35 years to stop farmers and ranchers from feeding antibiotics to cattle, pigs, chickens and other animals simply to help the animals grow larger. Using small amounts of antibiotics over long periods of time leads to the growth of bacteria that are resistant to the drugs' effects, endangering humans who become infected but cannot be treated with routine antibiotic therapy.

More at link...

The noose tightens...

-t

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You know, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I hate the government, but I hate the farmers that are putting that antibiotics in the cattle. I'm not convinced that they're causing tens of thousands of deaths though.

You know, I MIGHT agree with this, if I understand it correctly. A farmer should require a prescription from a Vet before giving medicine to his animals? What's the catch?

Quote Originally Posted by Lishy View Post
    You know, I MIGHT agree with this, if I understand it correctly. A farmer should require a prescription from a Vet before giving medicine to his animals? What's the catch?
    Well, for starts, most of us aren't convinced that we should need a prescription for anything.

I'll bet there are better ways to solve this problem. However, if this law is actually enforced, it could be positive. If it prevents farmers from pumping up its animals with a bunch of drugs, then thats great. I'd much rather have REAL food.

Quote Originally Posted by tttppp View Post
    I'll bet there are better ways to solve this problem. However, if this law is actually enforced, it could be positive. If it prevents farmers from pumping up its animals with a bunch of drugs, then thats great. I'd much rather have REAL food.
    But why can't the market decide? I'd rather have cheaper beef - I don't really care about the antibiotics in my beef as long as it's cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    But why can't the market decide? I'd rather have cheaper beef - I don't really care about the antibiotics in my beef as long as it's cheaper.
    Like I said, there are better ways to do this. I have an idea that would motivate the market to eliminate fake food by themselves, without regulations. That would be the best solution.

However, as a consumer, I would appreciate being able to pick up any piece of meat and know its mostly healthy. Meat with crap in it may be cheaper, but it will cost you more in medical expenses in the long run.

Be creative. I'm sure there are many other ways too where you could eliminate garbage in your food. Another idea would be to have better disclosure. And hold companies accountable for it. There are plenty of companies which advertise their meat as antibiotic free, however I know they are full of $#@!, and nobody does anything about it.
    Last edited by tttppp; 04-12-2012 at 01:05 AM.

This new regulation is going to increase the cost of meat and eggs. For example

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...estock-630927/

Christine Hoang of the American Veterinary Medical Association said her organization supported the new rules, although she said some remote or small farmers might have trouble abiding by the rules, since there are fewer than 10,000 large-animal veterinarians in the United States.
    But R.C. Hunt, president of the National Pork Producers Council, said small farmers and ranchers would have a hard time following the new rules, which "could eliminate antibiotics uses that are extremely important to the health of animals."
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well one of the main reasons why antibiotics stop working...
    Is people put antibiotics in anything that doesn't look 100% okay.

So from this point of view it's very interesting. Although it would be better if the public could simply choose to buy their meat from a responsible farmer. There was some antibiotic resistant bacteria in chicken meat here in Europe.. Nearly all chickens that were non-organic had this bacteria in them (those are fed antibiotics on default), this was over 90%. In organic raised chickens, it was under 5% that carried this bacteria.

From my perspective, any reduction in the use of antibiotics is good. The more we use them, the more likely they are to stop working. And then we have to find another antibiotic again...

But this is one thing the government certainly does NOT have to do. In the Netherlands/Europe they found a semi-fascist way to resolve this problem. There's a member funded regulator called 'SKAL', although they receive their rules and authority from the European union, the actual organization is funded by the farmers that want to use the 'SKAL' label(organic equivalent). So I'm glad something like this exists, although some of the rules are just making the whole 'organic' thing mega expensive. One example, a chicken that's raised organically can't get antibiotics or hormones, it has to eat 100% organic varied foods and has to have around 10sqft indoor space and 40sqft outdoor space, about 60 times as much as a factory farmed chicken. But it's only 4 times as expensive in the end... (and for some weird reason the farmer also makes more).

Anyways, the only thing that appears to be missing over here, is competition in labels. So the market and the people can choose. I definitely see people interested in where their food comes from again.. Which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    This new regulation is going to increase the cost of meat and eggs.
    Yup. This new requirement is not good at all.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

It's official...this forum has been over run with liberals who only support Ron because of his position on foreign policy and the war on drugs. I grew up on a family farm, and I can tell you that the government doesn't have the right to tell us how to farm, period! Government sucks.

It's foolish. Educate people about quality meat and food in general and the free market demands it.. Otherwise avoid it.. STOP USING FORCE!!
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    It's official...this forum has been over run with liberals who only support Ron because of his position on foreign policy and the war on drugs. I grew up on a family farm, and I can tell you that the government doesn't have the right to tell us how to farm, period! Government sucks.
    I am so happy to see all of us here in a single thread, finally.

I don't agree with the government doing this but I also don't like them pumping antibiotics into cattle so I'm split on this.

Quote Originally Posted by DerailingDaTrain View Post
    I don't agree with the government doing this but I also don't like them pumping antibiotics into cattle so I'm split on this.
    Thats how easy it is to stop your critical thinking process.. Who cares what YOU don't like.. YOU cannot force it on ME
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Like I said, there are better ways to do this. I have an idea that would motivate the market to eliminate fake food by themselves, without regulations. That would be the best solution.

However, as a consumer, I would appreciate being able to pick up any piece of meat and know its mostly healthy. Meat with crap in it may be cheaper, but it will cost you more in medical expenses in the long run. .
    I don't believe the propaganda about medical costs. Again, Americans are living longer now than at any point in history, including the era in time when 85% of the population farmed their own food. Anecdotal evidence supports my case, not yours. I think that preservatives and antibiotics make the odds of meat being contaminated smaller, not bigger.

But more importantly, you're saying here is that when it really comes down to it, you don't really mind if the government takes away choices in the market, as long as you think society is better off as a result, using criteria weighed as you believe they should be weighed.

This is definitely the liberal infestation. When it comes down to it, they believe they are smarter than the rest of the population, and therefore it's ok to use government to do things their way. After all, it's for the common good.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Thats how easy it is to stop your critical thinking process.. Who cares what YOU don't like.. YOU cannot force it on ME
    I guess you missed the part where I said I don't like the government doing this specifically because they are telling them they need a prescription. I didn't force anything on anyone and even though I don't like them doing this to cattle I don't support the FDA in this scenario at all. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean I want the government to create and enforce a law to stop it. So I actually agree with you.
    Last edited by DerailingDaTrain; 04-12-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Many have been trying to FORCE the FDA to make labels that specify "origin" a required thing ... Another cost to be incurred by the consumer.
    This is no different, from a cost perspective, yet with the industrialized farming situation we now live with, it is very hard, if not outright impossible, for many to obtain food from a local trustable source.

I have no idea if this is actually a good thing, but when multiple States worth of consumers can fall victim to salmonella and other forms of bacteria, due to the large scale industrialization of our food sources ... Some form of control needs to be implemented.
    A true free market, as it stands now, would bring with it hardship and death, long before the market could react, IMO.
    Let them keep thinking Ron Paul supporters are just a little army. Every military strategy manual in the world has examples of the bad things that happen to arrogant commanders of massive armies that underestimate the enemy. They all lose. We will win because the human heart, despite its detractors, is meant for truth and freedom.

Liberals voting for Ron is a good thing. I know I voted for Obama last election and considered voting for Ron in 2008 by write in. Ron dropped out and Obama had a much better chance to win.

Maybe there is other reasons they want to vote for Ron. I know for me it is the anti war stance, his willingness to try to save the dollar, get spending under control, Ron is the only one proposing real cuts, and defending peoples rights for freedom.

I consider my self more of a independant voter. I did vote for Obama last election but considered writing in Ron in 2008.
    Last edited by rockerrockstar; 04-12-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    This new regulation is going to increase the cost of meat and eggs. For example

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...estock-630927/
    This is how they run the little guy out of business..

The factory farms can hire a vet to work on-site and administer the anti-biotics to as many animals as they want.

The small farmer has to pay exorbitant amounts for legitimate use of anti-biotics on their farm animals.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    You know, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I hate the government, but I hate the farmers that are putting that antibiotics in the cattle. I'm not convinced that they're causing tens of thousands of deaths though.
    One of those situations with no good guys....

Quote Originally Posted by leonster View Post
    One of those situations with no good guys....
    Not really.. If a free range cattle got bit by a snake or cut itself some how there could be a legitimate use for anti-biotics.

The problem is that in the factory farms they feed the animals massive amounts of hormones to make them grow bigger and faster or to allow milking cows to milk all year long. This along with being in close quarters with relatively filthy conditions leads to udder infections in the milking cows, broken bones, cancers and other injuries in the other animals that requires a lot of anti-biotics.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I completely agree with this law. While I believe in free markets and lower regulation in general, I believe that this is an appropriate use of government authority because it protects the environment and health of everyone in a very real way. I wish that the government would have stepped in years ago, but because of croneyism with factory farming they have allowed them to continue appalling practices. Many of the most deadly antibiotic resistant bacteria, such as E Coli 157:H7 and the new strain of MRSA in the UK are directly linked to inappropriate antibiotic use in livestock. Once this stuff is mutated there is no going back, and something has to be done to slow the antibiotic resistance.

Yes, it will likely increase the price of factory farmed meat. You have to realize that the price of "factory" meat is artificially low due to government subsidization of the corn based food the animals eat and croney regulation (or lack of regulation in this case). Funny how people only like free markets when they aren't getting the government sponsored meal ticket.

+REP. I was thinking the same thing. How can the 1st 10 comments on this page give more gov't regulation the benefit of a doubt? BLEW MY MIND.

edit: After reading more comments. I am taken aback completely.....COME ON PEOPLE. WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE FOR LIBERTY. Thread fail
    Last edited by tfurrh; 04-12-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by craezie View Post
    I completely agree with this law. While I believe in free markets and lower regulation in general, I believe that this is an appropriate use of government authority because it protects the environment and health of everyone in a very real way. I wish that the government would have stepped in years ago, but because of croneyism with factory farming they have allowed them to continue appalling practices. Many of the most deadly antibiotic resistant bacteria, such as E Coli 157:H7 and the new strain of MRSA in the UK are directly linked to inappropriate antibiotic use in livestock. Once this stuff is mutated there is no going back, and something has to be done to slow the antibiotic resistance.

Yes, it will likely increase the price of factory farmed meat. You have to realize that the price of "factory" meat is artificially low due to government subsidization of the corn based food the animals eat and croney regulation (or lack of regulation in this case). Funny how people only like free markets when they aren't getting the government sponsored meal ticket.

Sigh.....

The reason why factory farmed meat is grown on such a large scale is because it is subsidized by government. It is being directly subsidized, and there is heavy subsidy on corn which brings down the price of factory farming.

If everything was on a level playing field, then consumers would have the option of paying something like:

$3.79/lb factory farm ground beef with hormones and anti-biotics

$3.99/lb grass-fed ground beef with no hormones and anti-biotics

OR

Local grass-fed cattle might be cheaper than shipping in factory farm ground beef, so it might end up being the same or cheaper for the good stuff!!

Most consumers wouldn't mind paying the extra $.20/lb for the good meat, anyway. McDonalds wouldn't have as big an edge on local burger places because they wouldn't have access to extra-low priced meat that is heavily subsidized, and the local burger places would more likely get the quality meat because the decision will not affect the bottom line as much. Also it might help them keep customers.

However currently, the price structure looks more like:

$2.99/lb factory farm ground beef
    $3.99/lb grass-fed

That is a significant cost savings, even though most of it is made up for with higher taxes that everybody has to pay. Businesses have a much tougher decision to make.

The real answer is to get government out completely.. If I don't need a prescription for medicine, why should animals?

I wonder if this will increase some of the companies that currently buy meat in the US to buy meat in other countries?
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

What you don't seem to understand is that it will drive the small-to-medium sized farmers out of business. Then, all we will have is corporate farming.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Most farmers these days only care about making a buck, and are destroying the biodiversity of nature by planting genetically modified plants which spread into the natural gene pool, destroying the environment through over-use of toxic pesticides and herbicides, and creating deadly super-bacteria through irresponsible livestock management.

I am in no way a "liberal", and I don't even 100% agree with RP on foreign policy or drugs. People should be free to manage their time, bodies and property in any way they see fit so long as it does not harm others rights. There are those, however, who would exploit the environment, health and lives of others to make a buck. I'm sorry, but factory farmers fit in that category, and are doing it on taxpayers' dimes to boot. Food supply is the very cornerstone of our individual lives and corporate society. When it is allowed to be destroyed in ways that are irreversible, the only people that win are Monsanto and government power brokers.

Most farmers these days only care about making a buck, and are destroying the biodiversity of nature by planting genetically modified plants which spread into the natural gene pool, destroying the environment through over-use of toxic pesticides and herbicides, and creating deadly super-bacteria through irresponsible livestock management.

I am in no way a "liberal", and I don't even 100% agree with RP on foreign policy or drugs. People should be free to manage their time, bodies and property in any way they see fit so long as it does not harm others rights. There are those, however, who would exploit the environment, health and lives of others to make a buck. I'm sorry, but factory farmers fit in that category, and are doing it on taxpayers' dimes to boot. Food supply is the very cornerstone of our individual lives and corporate society. When it is allowed to be destroyed in ways that are irreversible, the only people that win are Monsanto and government power brokers.

What would you say if you found out that this law was actually written by Monsanto for the benefit of large corporate factory farms to the detriment of small and medium sized farms? You are ignoring the fact that a large factory farm has no issue hiring a full-time vet to go from site to site and write prescriptions, but that it is very expensive for smaller and medium sized farms.

So logically, the only solution is to take the government power away from the brokers.

Most farmers these days only care about making a buck
    As opposed to the olden days where farmers farmed for naught? I miss those good ole days when farmers became hopelessly impoverished.

the first priority of any business is to profit. And besides, you've got everything backwards.
    Last edited by tfurrh; 04-12-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast