Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Free Town or County

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    Liechtenstein or Switzerland but we need to learn German. our ancestors came to America to give us a better life and I want to do the same thing
    Two things: firstly, I meant states in America. Secondly, Switzerland will not let you in, much less 20K like you. Won't happen. My cousin Ann and her hubby are very successful doctors - heads of their departments - in Berne. They were admitted because they had something to offer. The Swiss do not let just anyone in. We could have gone there when I was an infant, but luckily (I think) we came here.

Lichtenstein also would not allow you in, AFAIK. Besides, I could put Lichtenstein in my coat pocket, walk away, and nobody would know where in hell it went. It's bigger than Monaco, but that's not saying much. The population is something like 30K.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Two things: firstly, I meant states in America. Secondly, Switzerland will not let you in, much less 20K like you. Won't happen. My cousin Ann and her hubby are very successful doctors - heads of their departments - in Berne. They were admitted because they had something to offer. The Swiss do not let just anyone in. We could have gone there when I was an infant, but luckily (I think) we came here.

Lichtenstein also would not allow you in, AFAIK. Besides, I could put Lichtenstein in my coat pocket, walk away, and nobody would know where in hell it went. It's bigger than Monaco, but that's not saying much. The population is something like 30K.
    it will be a 5 year process at least just to get admitted into the country of Liechtenstein but that's worth it for me. you're probably not as young as I so you may decide it's not worth your time. nothing wrong with that. I think any freedom in the best freedom state will last maybe 10 years longer than the other states. just not worth it to me. if I'm going to leave my beloved South I want to be somewhere my grandkids won't need to flee because it will already be bad again.

if we can find 20,000 people to move with us we should just take over some part of Mexico or South America. if we could get 20,000 people I would $#@! my pants.

my vote still goes to Alaska. harder to go after 20,000 tax evaders in Alaska than anywhere else. we can build a safety igloo with cannons. our winter wonderland.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    it will be a 5 year process at least just to get admitted into the country of Liechtenstein but that's worth it for me. you're probably not as young as I so you may decide it's not worth your time. nothing wrong with that. I think any freedom in the best freedom state will last maybe 10 years longer than the other states. just not worth it to me. if I'm going to leave my beloved South I want to be somewhere my grandkids won't need to flee because it will already be bad again.

if we can find 20,000 people to move with us we should just take over some part of Mexico or South America. if we could get 20,000 people I would $#@! my pants.

my vote still goes to Alaska. harder to go after 20,000 tax evaders in Alaska than anywhere else. we can build a safety igloo with cannons. our winter wonderland.
    Oh hell, having established family in CH, I could probably move there this afternoon if I wanted to. But it's in Europe and that's a real problem for me. I spent summers there as a child and really have no interest in living that lifestyle, not to mention that I am entirely too "American" for most Euros to tolerate. Were my grandma still alive at 116, I might reconsider. I really love my grandma. She was such a trip.

I'd likely end up in a prison somewhere for farting without permission, or clearing my nose, or some such felonious act. Not being able to carry a gun everywhere I went is a wholesale deal-breaker for me. NFW. Forty six years of jujutsu and other MA training have demonstrated to me the grand virtues of the firearm as the "great equalizer" of men. It has also demonstrated to me many other features of humanity that further bolster those virtues, such as the essential unpredictability of populations, individuals, and the fact that we get old. I'm not old yet, but if I last long enough, I will become so. Even now I would not want to face a 20 year old kid, fist to fist. I might be able to get him locked up and break a few body parts to remind him of the proprieties between humans, or I might just get my ass handed to me. Therefore, if I cannot shoot the little darling, I am clearly in a land I do not want to find myself. Thanks, but no.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Oh hell, having established family in CH, I could probably move there this afternoon if I wanted to. But it's in Europe and that's a real problem for me. I spent summers there as a child and really have no interest in living that lifestyle, not to mention that I am entirely too "American" for most Euros to tolerate. Were my grandma still alive at 116, I might reconsider. I really love my grandma. She was such a trip.

I'd likely end up in a prison somewhere for farting without permission, or clearing my nose, or some such felonious act. Not being able to carry a gun everywhere I went is a wholesale deal-breaker for me. NFW. Forty six years of jujutsu and other MA training have demonstrated to me the grand virtues of the firearm as the "great equalizer" of men. It has also demonstrated to me many other features of humanity that further bolster those virtues, such as the essential unpredictability of populations, individuals, and the fact that we get old. I'm not old yet, but if I last long enough, I will become so. Even now I would not want to face a 20 year old kid, fist to fist. I might be able to get him locked up and break a few body parts to remind him of the proprieties between humans, or I might just get my ass handed to me. Therefore, if I cannot shoot the little darling, I am clearly in a land I do not want to find myself. Thanks, but no.
    yup it's all about what's more important to you. for you carrying a gun is more important than paying half in taxes and not funding wars and God knows what else the US funds. personally if where I lived was as safe as Switzerland I wouldn't feel the need to have guns besides at home.

what do you think about Alaska? too cold for ya?

Some euro-folks are trying to do this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberland
    https://liberland.org/en/about/

I'm rooting for them of course. I think there are somewhat autonomous regions in Spain, not libertarian though..

I believe it would have to be a county takeover or be an independent city. Independent cities are found in Virginia. I do not believe there is one small enough for a take-over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepe...United_States)

Here is a listing of the smallest county in each state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County...tion_per_state

yup it's all about what's more important to you. for you carrying a gun is more important than paying half in taxes and not funding wars and God knows what else the US funds. personally if where I lived was as safe as Switzerland I wouldn't feel the need to have guns besides at home.
    In the past 20 years I've paid a grand total of $1500 and change in taxes. 100% within the law, which is why it pays to have a crackerjack accountant.

Property tax, OTOH, is a bit of a bugger, but were we are on +/- 30 acres and pay something like $288/annum. While all taxation is robbery, given it will not go by the wayside any time soon, I can adapt to that level of thievery.

Dunno, never been there, but it is a possibility. Have an old friend who lived up there when he was in the CG and he said the mean temperature was actually higher than NJ. No idea if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I believe it would have to be a county takeover or be an independent city. Independent cities are found in Virginia. I do not believe there is one small enough for a take-over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepe...United_States)

Here is a listing of the smallest county in each state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County...tion_per_state
    Plenty of unincorporated places here in WV. Those could be incorporated I suppose. No idea about the details of such a move, though, but I would assume you are, at the very least still under the thumb of the "state", if not the county as well. But if you bought, say, 50K acres and established a town there, replete with "government" and so forth, only to the agreed upon specifications of your 20K residents, I wonder how the bigger dogs would screw with you when they found out you have no public schools, police, property taxes, and so forth. If the property remains privately held in the names of all residents, to what lengths would Theye go to bring Galt's Gulch to heel?

Plenty of unincorporated places here in WV. Those could be incorporated I suppose. No idea about the details of such a move, though, but I would assume you are, at the very least still under the thumb of the "state", if not the county as well. But if you bought, say, 50K acres and established a town there, replete with "government" and so forth, only to the agreed upon specifications of your 20K residents, I wonder how the bigger dogs would screw with you when they found out you have no public schools, police, property taxes, and so forth. If the property remains privately held in the names of all residents, to what lengths would Theye go to bring Galt's Gulch to heel?
    The reason I brought up going for a small county would be for the simple election of a Constitutional Sheriff and the ability to deputize the liberty loving citizenry. As law enforcement officers they would be required to be armed at all times. Non-payable position and voluntary, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The reason I brought up going for a small county would be for the simple election of a Constitutional Sheriff and the ability to deputize the liberty loving citizenry. As law enforcement officers they would be required to be armed at all times. Non-payable position and voluntary, of course.
    A sound approach. If nobody can get even that much done, it would be very telling.

ETA: Summers county WV has only about 13K people in it. The seat is in Hinton, an über-corrupt place with a Boss Hogg style city council. IMO it would be ripe for the picking. If 10K people moved into the area on a mission, it could be a very interesting little show. I lived outside Hinton for a few years. Weird place, but mostly good people. Gary Wheeler is no longer sheriff... dunno whether Ed Dolphin is still in that seat, but he was (is??) a staunch constitutionalist. Could do a lot worse than Ed.

Lots of available land there, relatively inexpensive. My friend Juan lives there - bought a failed church on a few acres for next to nothing.

Beautiful country.

Downside - little work.

ETA^2: WV is peopled by mostly freedom-friendly people. The welfare parasites could be handled, IMO. I think most would leave the state if their lives were so utterly disrupted by "freedom". The liberals, mostly ensconced in Charleston and Morgantown, would naturally raise the roof, but once again, moving forward with no regard to their false voices would be far easier than attempting the same in a dump like NJ or even NH, IMO.

One other thing, IIRC Hinton lost its status as a city several years back. Dunno if they ever got it back, but that's the last I knew. Why? The incredible malfeasance on the part of the city council. For decades the FBI was hot on the investigative trail in Hinton for reasons I no longer recall. Several agents disappeared, never to be see nor heard from again. FBI finally gave up. That's the sort of local government we are talking about. Take that over and you have an instant establishment at hand, moldable to a strong constitutional compliance. Once again, IMO.

That all said, I still say "good luck" because liberty people cannot seem to get it together to have a rummage sale, much less take over a town or a county.
    Last edited by osan; 04-03-2017 at 07:43 AM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i like it. we need to find a county

This guy already has the ball rolling add vinceableworld to Skype and ask for Free County

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...led-for-speech

How many people here would support the modern day Andy Griffith as sheriff? How many people would help establish a modern day Mayberry? 2018 is an election year for Sheriff of Costilla County. No injured party but charged with a crime? CONTACT US and GET INVOLVED NOW. Move to Costilla County today FREE with your commitment to join TEAM LIBERTY. PLEASE pass this message around and add folks to this chat or have them email me garden777eden@gmail.com

Costilla boasted 3,400 inhabitants in 2013. 1,600 off gridders joined the area in last couple years, mostly independents and conservatives. Officials are desperately trying to run them out of the county. We are a very REAL THREAT OF TAKING OVER. Import a few hundred patriots in the next year and we can win. Not a dime to your name required just get here any way you can we will make due.

Quote Originally Posted by liberty4vince View Post
    Costilla boasted 3,400 inhabitants in 2013. 1,600 off gridders joined the area in last couple years, mostly independents and conservatives. Officials are desperately trying to run them out of the county. We are a very REAL THREAT OF TAKING OVER. Import a few hundred patriots in the next year and we can win. Not a dime to your name required just get here any way you can we will make due.
    Where are the 3400 people?

Sounds kind of like a commune I lived in back in the 70's in Oregon except there's a distinct shortage of trees and water, wildlife too I'd bet....

Newcomers to Costilla County lured by legal marijuana, cheap land

http://www.denverpost.com/2015/06/06...na-cheap-land/

SAN LUIS VALLEY — The concrete was soupy, a wet mush unlikely to harden properly, so Sundance Stadtler added sand to the mixture he was pouring into wooden forms to make footers for his new home in Costilla County. Stadtler, a 19-year-old from Vermont, arrived in the San Luis Valley in February with a plan to build a home and grow marijuana legally.

He purchased 5 acres of desert property for $3,250 and set up a tepee for temporary lodging as he began building.

Stadtler is one of a number of people lured to the county in the San Luis Valley by legal marijuana and cheap land.

Officials say the population boom is creating problems for schools, social services and other agencies.

It is unclear how many people have moved into the sparsely populated expanse of high desert near the New Mexico border since recreational marijuana became legal in the state last year.

But Costilla County issued 209 building permits in 2014, 20 percent higher than the average number issued in previous years.

So far this year, permits issued are on pace to break last year’s record, said Mathew Valdez, county land use administrator.

“A lot who come in tell us, ‘We love the mountains and the views, but we also want to grow marijuana,’ ” Valdez said.

Many of the new arrivals are unprepared for life in a harsh landscape where temperatures can tumble to well below zero in the winter, and power, sewer and other infrastructure is nonexistent.

“The land we have is not the ideal place unless you are retired and have the resources to get septic” systems and other infrastructure, said Tommy Vigil, director of the county’s Department of Social Services.

Stadtler has done some construction work in the past but had little experience with foundations, he said. A piece of rebar jutted from the hardening concrete next to four dented beer cans.

“I haven’t built a house from the foundation up before,” Stadtler said.

Many newcomers arrive without any plan to develop the land.

“A lot of time we find families living in run-down sheds or in RVs, or some actually in tents. We tell them they cannot live in these conditions. A lot of them abandon their RVs here and they get vandalized, and after a while they become a trash issue,” Valdez said.

Valdez’s office has only one code enforcement officer to keep an eye on buildings and living conditions in the 1,227-square-mile county. The county plans to hire a second person, whose job will be financed through licensing fees generated by the local recreational and medicinal marijuana businesses.

Sometimes a background check on someone who has violated building codes or committed a traffic violation leads to an arrest, said Ben Doon, Costilla County Commission administrator.

Many of the new residents have warrants issued by other states; some have multiple warrants.

The new residents are changing the jail population, Doon said. “There used to be a lot more locals. Now it is probably 10 percent local and 90 percent from outside.”

Still, Doon said that as far as local officials are concerned, they’re not seeing any spike in the crime rate since newcomers began arriving.

The county’s two school districts are struggling to keep up with the population influx.

“Since January, we have had 28 new students coming into Sierra Grande School District, and that is huge for a small district,” Doon said. There are about 260 students in the district.

Hygiene is a problem for students who are living in desert hovels where the “toilet is a 5-gallon bucket,” and bathing and washing clothes is a challenge, Doon said.

“We do offer showers at times for kids,” said Brian Crowther, school superintendent for the county’s Centennial School District.

Most of the newcomers are “poor as church mice,” Doon said. And although some may come hoping to get into the state’s marijuana business, most want to grow for their personal use and be left alone.

Vigil’s agency provides assistance to low-income families from the state’s Temporary Assistance to Needy Families and other welfare programs.

He usually finds out there are children living in questionable circumstances when teachers or school bus drivers report noticing that a child has worn the same clothing for two weeks or some other irregularity.

“We have to check out the kids and make sure they’re getting what they need. For the most part, the kids are being treated well and the parents are doing the best they can,” Vigil said.

Helping the new residents is stretching his budget. “We have to do more with less,” Vigil said. “We welcome everybody to the county, but being such a small county we have limited resources, and it is taxing to help everybody out.”

The county has almost 40,000 vacant, privately owned lots, the highest number in the state, and a population of only 3,700 people.

Land prices start at less than $1,000 an acre.

Zane McDonald, his wife, Samantha, and their four children came to Costilla County from Alabama soon after legal sales of weed began two years ago.

The family built a tiny cabin near the Rio Grande River, along with an attached greenhouse to grow pot plants and vegetables. “I grow what the state allows for two adults,” he said.

“We did a lot of research, we asked a lot of questions. We all knew this was going to be a sacrifice, but it was also our last adventure with the kids before they get too cool to hang out with us,” McDonald said.

Quote Originally Posted by liberty4vince View Post
    This guy already has the ball rolling add vinceableworld to Skype and ask for Free County

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...led-for-speech

How many people here would support the modern day Andy Griffith as sheriff? How many people would help establish a modern day Mayberry? 2018 is an election year for Sheriff of Costilla County. No injured party but charged with a crime? CONTACT US and GET INVOLVED NOW. Move to Costilla County today FREE with your commitment to join TEAM LIBERTY. PLEASE pass this message around and add folks to this chat or have them email me garden777eden@gmail.com
    There is ALWAYS an injured party there Theire dictates are concerned. There is always the "dignity of the state" as victim. Why? Because Theye say so.

What could we do with present available technologies if we had the freedom to try them? Does it matter if there are trees, water and wildlife to begin with?

Give me a barren wasteland, a little bit of start up capitol and a whole lot of freedom then step back and watch!

It's worth noting that lots of trees, wildlife and water usually comes with an established large population we are not going to move in there and change anything... Especially their laws.

Please comment:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6456375

for you carrying a gun is more important than paying half in taxes and not funding wars and God knows what else the US funds.
    Firstly, my accountant kept me at effectively 0% tax on something on the order of $3MM. I paid $1500.00 total over the ten-year period, all 100% well within the letter of statute, so that point falls away.

Secondly, moving to CH does not absolve you of such contribution. Be very careful in how you claim innocence because things are not quite so simple as you may think. We are all equally responsible for such things, so either we all share in guilt or we all enjoy innocence along that line. I've given no penny toward war-making, but if there is guilt to be borne, I still share in it because I have tolerated the war makers.

Hiding oneself in a closet buys little insofar as culpability goes if indeed we share in the guilt of war making. If we do not, then there is not issue there for me and all the others who oppose murder on any scale.

personally if where I lived was as safe as Switzerland I wouldn't feel the need to have guns besides at home.
    That's a very dangerous position you assume. The need for the means of self defense is always present in a world where scoundrels may be found in every nook and cranny. If you believe there are no tyrants in CH, you fool yourself. That they operate with greater subtlety and sense only means they are more clever and balanced in their wield of power, whereas those here in America are verily gone 'round the bend.

Dunnno. It's one of the 15 states to which I have yet to travel. I like the idea of Alaska.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    everybody who lives in America is responsible for the wars. I would love to live somewhere that isn't an option.

unfortunately I will be giving up freedoms to do it.

I think living alongside the Cajuns or the Appalachian mountain men is our best bet. they are good allies who hate the government too. eventually $#@! will go down in the US, because people will be tired of paying for Jewish wars etc. etc.

when that happens we need all the help we can get

everybody who lives in America is responsible for the wars. I would love to live somewhere that isn't an option.

unfortunately I will be giving up freedoms to do it.

I think living alongside the Cajuns or the Appalachian mountain men is our best bet. they are good allies who hate the government too. eventually $#@! will go down in the US, because people will be tired of paying for Jewish wars etc. etc.

when that happens we need all the help we can get
    Neither Hillbillies or Cajuns are going to take in outsiders when the $#@! goes down...

If you want to be a part of either community you'd better move before the SHTF and establish yourself....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Neither Hillbillies or Cajuns are going to take in outsiders when the $#@! goes down...

If you want to be a part of either community you'd better move before the SHTF and establish yourself....
    that's what I'm saying

http://kval.com/news/local/photos-re...for-35-million

TILLER, Ore. (AP) — Almost an entire Oregon town is for sale for $3.5 million - or about $3.9 million if you also want the local elementary school, which is a separate deal.
    The tiny community of Tiller, encircled by the Umpqua National Forest, has been shrinking since environmental rules sharply curtailed logging on federal forest land several decades ago.
    As the timber mill closed and people moved away, one longtime resident bought up properties, and now his estate is selling them all.
    Amash>Trump

ΟΥ ΓΑΡ ЄCΤΙΝ ЄξΟΥCΙΑ ЄΙ ΜΗ ΥΠΟ ΘЄΟΥ

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

"Trump is the security blanket of aggrieved white men aged 18-60." - Pinoy

And here I have to give props where due. The filthy progressives WORK for their perfidies. "Liberty" people do not, on average. Liberty is far more work, I concede, but come on. We see it even here - I have signed on to at least two "initiatives" here at RPF, and none of them went past talk, the last one not even getting a whole lot of that. It seems to me, and I could be mistaken, that the liberty people are really no different from the progressives in that they want $#@! to magically drop into their laps through the labor of others. Lots and lots of talk. Little to no work. It appears that America is become this, regardless of self-professed individual bent.

I should cut some music, story line about how hopeless $#@! is and how $#@!ed we all are. I could play it 24x7 over the air and it would never get old.

One foot in the grave and I'm looking for that banana peel for the other. This nonsense has gotten nearly that boring. Corruption and evil are ultimately boring. They are as nothing at all, save for the destruction they wreak upon people's lives.
    It think that there is an unspoken assumption that is sometimes made that libertarians et al. are inherently different in their way of thinking i.e. the way we process information and react to it. The truth is, all people have basically the same hardware, and the programming differences are minute. If the liberty movement wants a chance to succeed, we need to better understand psychology, both that of our enemies and of ourselves.
    Last edited by The Rebel Poet; 04-27-2017 at 09:23 AM.
    Amash>Trump

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

Quote Originally Posted by HitoKichi View Post

Yeah but at least WV didn't vote for Clinton. It would make a way better free country than VA
    But they DID vote for Trump, so "what difference does it make?"
    Amash>Trump

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel Poet View Post
    But they DID vote for Trump, so "what difference does it make?"
    Since we're all going to get educated and savvy regarding psychology: What do you think, Poet? Do you think there are any psychological or temperamental differences between people who vote for Trump and people who vote for Clinton, broadly speaking?

What are those differences?

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    A state that votesd for Trump would have lower taxes and fewer gun restriction laws

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by HitoKichi View Post
    A state that votes for Trump would have lower taxes and fewer gun restriction laws
    Why?

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    That's just the trend with most of the red states. Not that having having voted for Trump is a good thing but the states he did well in would be more bearable to live in assuming that they declared themselves independent.
    Last edited by Lamp; 04-26-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Since we're all going to get educated and savvy regarding psychology: What do you think, Poet? Do you think there are any psychological or temperamental differences between people who vote for Trump and people who vote for Clinton, broadly speaking?

What are those differences?
    Basically nothing. The vast majority were just partisans., and from what I have seen, most of the leftovers want the government to leave them alone, while controlling other people. Their way of thinking about government is the same, but their particular feelings about which things are scary differ. Both groups are full of snowflakes who go nuts when they are disagreed with. On the left everyone is a racist, on the right, everyone is a globalist.

Trumpublicans tend to be suspicious of outsiders trying to change their way of life, so I'd be concerned with the efficacy of moving to such a state to change it. On the whole, they are more likely to rhetorically support economic freedom if not personal freedom; the benefits of that should be clear, but one potential problem with it is they have been cucked into thinking they already support real freedom. When it's us vs. neocons on economics, we are viewed as contrarians who are getting in the way of incremental change. When it's us vs. liberals on economics, we the only alternative and can clearly distinguish our message, while the neocons are on display as the cucks they are. The only other thing would be the leftist riots, but that doesn't indicate any real tempermental difference between real voters because they were paid actors, and TPTB could just as easily pay people to riot on the right.
    Amash>Trump

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast