Thread: One photographer's journey inside Iran

One photographer's journey inside Iran

Amazing photographs. Make sure you read the accompanying captions, especially photograph numbers 18 and 19.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...rney_insi.html

New Zealand photographer, Amos Chapple, made three visits to the Islamic Republic of Iran between December 2011 and January 2013. Chapple "was amazed by the difference in western perceptions of the country and what I saw on the ground…" He goes on to say that every traveller he met inside Iran had the same sense of surprise. The government continues its anti-western campaign, but Chapple explains what was once a popular sentiment has long since faded with Iranians. Chapple describes this as a "constant embarrassment for ordinary Iranians. In the time I spent there, I never received anything but goodwill and decency, which stands in clear contrast to my experience in other middle eastern countries." A sampling of Chapple's images are featured in this post. -- Paula Nelson
    Last edited by KerriAnn; 03-28-2013 at 11:51 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Terrorists everywhere in those pictures."

Sadly most people in the States will never even begin to question the rhetoric from Iran's government and ours.
    “First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.” Lying Sack of Crap

Very cool pictures!
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

It looks like a beautiful country.

Looks like a great place. Some would like to turn it into another smoking ruin, or glass. Truly beautiful the photographer did a fantastic job of capturing it.

How old am I?

Little things like that annoy the hell out of me.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Agreed, I would love to visit one day.

And this is what pisses me off about idiots who always want to bomb and invade. It is so easy to do when your country isn't the battlefield. I really feel for these poor folks, they, like us, are embarrassed by what the government does. They don't want to fight us and we don't want to fight them, but the power hungry pricks just can't leave things be.

A man in southern Tehran, the working-class region of the city. In the past 14 months tightened sanctions have nearly halved the value of Iran's currency and fueled soaring inflation. Life is becoming drastically difficult for ordinary Iranians but many feel powerless to change the situation. Said one Tehrani, "We're not naive like the Arabs to think a violent uprising will magically fix everything. We've had our revolution...and things only got worse."
    Oh, yeah. Sorry about that, buddy..
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks for posting this.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Seemingly also filled with beautiful people.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

The people themselves are very well educated and pro-western- nowhere near the anti-Americanism seen in 1979 during the Revolution and hostage crisis.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will lose his job following elections in June of this year (he is not elgible to run) so they will definately have a new President. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian...election,_2013

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The people themselves are very well educated and pro-western- nowhere near the anti-Americanism seen in 1979 during the Revolution and hostage crisis.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will lose his job following elections in June of this year (he is not elgible to run) so they will definately have a new President. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian...election,_2013
    Well many of the people who were oppressed and tortured under the Shah are no longer around. Many of the people who remembered the United States assisting the SAVAK with 'useful' torture instructionals have forgotten as well. I am sure there is still some resentment over there. I'd be pretty pissed off as well if I were in their shoes.

The younger generation just wants freedom. It's a shame a lot of our policies have hindered their efforts.

With regards to the SAVAK-

Brute force was supplemented with the bastinado; sleep deprivation; extensive solitary confinement; glaring searchlights; standing in one place for hours on end; nail extractions; snakes (favored for use with women); electrical shocks with cattle prods, often into the rectum; cigarette burns; sitting on hot grills; acid dripped into nostrils; near-drownings; mock executions; and an electric chair with a large metal mask to muffle screams while amplifying them for the victim. This latter contraption was dubbed the Apollo—an allusion to the American space capsules. Prisoners were also humiliated by being raped, urinated on, and forced to stand naked.[15] Despite the new 'scientific' methods, the torture of choice remained the traditional bastinado used to beat soles of the feet.
    During the height of its power, SAVAK had virtually unlimited powers. It operated its own detention centers, like Evin Prison. In addition to domestic security the service's tasks extended to the surveillance of Iranians abroad, notably in the United States, France, and the United Kingdom, and especially students on government stipends. The agency also closely collaborated with the American CIA by sending their agents to an air force base in New York to share and discuss interrogation tactics.[20]
    The Federation of American Scientists also found it guilty of "the torture and execution of thousands of political prisoners" and symbolizing "the Shah's rule from 1963-79." The FAS list of SAVAK torture methods included "electric shock, whipping, beating, inserting broken glass and pouring boiling water into the rectum, tying weights to the testicles, and the extraction of teeth and nails."
    Correct me if I am wrong but was there not a video demonstrating various torture methods made by the CIA that was found in Iran? This was a little before the taking of the hostages, IIRC.

The notorious Iranian security service, SAVAK, which employed torture routinely, was created under the guidance of the CIA and Israel in the 1950s.9 According to a former CIA analyst on Iran, Jesse J. Leaf, SAVAK was instructed in torture techniques by the Agency.10 After the 1979 revolution, the Iranians found CIA film made for SAVAK on how to torture women.11
    Here's the sources

9 Kermit Roosevelt, Countercoup: The Struggle for the Control of Iran (McGraw-Hill paperback, 1981), p.9. Roosevelt was a CIA officer operating in Iran in the 1950s.

10 Leaf was chief CIA analyst on Iran for five years before resigning in 1973, interviewed by Seymour Hersh in the New York Times, January 7,1979.

11 Robert Fisk, article in The Independent (London), August 9,1998, p. 19

Excerpted from Rogue State, by William Blum
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 03-28-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Persian's.......
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    That's up for debate.
    "Corruptisima republica plurimae leges."

---- Tacitus

I love von Mises and Emma Watson

[sarcasm]Look at all those freedom hating terrorists. I see through the propaganda! Rick Santorum told me they want to kill all Americans so we should fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here. Bomb them til they love us I say.[/sarcasm]
    Last edited by COpatriot; 03-28-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    ...but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

We really should start using the word "sarcasm" after our posts... Who knows who may be reading this? They might think we really do hate them.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.