Thread: The Troubling Link Between Milk And Racism

The Troubling Link Between Milk And Racism

LMAO

A young man with neo-Nazi tattoos spits milk toward the video camera. Another man, holding a jug of milk, says, “You might not like it, but this is the face of white nationalism.”

The group of men were gathered to protest an anti-Trump video installation, “He Will Not Divide Us,” in Queens, New York, in February 2017.

Following the protest in New York, depictions of milk alongside white nationalism went viral. Figures affiliated with the alt-right, including Richard Spencer and Tim “Baked Alaska” Gionet, added milk emojis to their Twitter display names and the hashtag “#MilkTwitter” was used as a dumping ground for racist trolls. Later in 2017, Lucian Wintrich, a former correspondent for the right-wing news blog Gateway Pundit who has appeared on a white nationalist podcast, drank from a glass of milk as protesters heckled him during a speech.

These and other incidents have been described as evidence that some white supremacists are co-opting cow’s milk as a symbol of their belief that white people are wholesome and pure.

Right-wing news sites like Breitbart have mocked that suggestion. Those who noted milk’s popularity with white supremacists have been taunted as fools who fell for what was just a prank that was not meant to be taken seriously.

But whether or not the alt-right was indulging in a trolling exercise, some academics say these events are part of a murky history involving cow’s milk.

Iselin Gambert, an associate professor of legal research and writing at George Washington University in Washington, is co-authoring a forthcoming paper that argues milk has long been used as a symbol for and tool of white supremacy. (A draft version can be read online.)

Animal milk products, Gambert told HuffPost, have become ubiquitous around the globe, including in regions with little or no history of a dairy industry. She noted the dairy industry has long marketed milk as universally healthy, even though roughly 65 percent of the world’s population has a reduced ability after infancy to digest lactose found in unprocessed milk.

Lactose intolerance is complex and very difficult to measure, but several studies, including a 2010 report produced for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, have found that people of color are more likely to report symptoms of lactose intolerance.

Yet milk and milk products have formed the backbone of some food initiatives in the United States. The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program and Special Milk Program all provide milk to children in public and nonprofit private schools. It’s a policy that has been criticized by law professor Andrea Freeman for pushing harmful amounts of saturated fats into the diets of children and disproportionately affecting communities of color.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0864f4f6a3e28
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I bet they breath air too. Air is racist.
    "The Patriarch"

What does it mean when a white guy drinks chocolate milk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Remind me to drink more milk.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Remind me to drink more milk.
    May we remind you nobody gives a $#!+ what you drink instead?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    May we remind you nobody gives a $#!+ what you drink instead?
    You may remind yourself that I hold you and your opinions in utmost contempt.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You may remind yourself that I hold you and your opinions in utmost contempt.
    I'll be sure to do that--if I ever find myself giving a damn what you hold.

I'll be sure to do that--if I ever find myself giving a damn what you hold.
    What was that?

Did somebody say something?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can't you two guys just start a fight club thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Can't you two guys just start a fight club thread?
    Gee, I don't know. Do you think he'll confine all his quasi-subtle little attempts to make us look guilty by association of racism to one thread?

Gee, I don't know. Do you think he'll confine all his quasi-subtle little attempts to make us look guilty by association of racism to one thread?
    LOL
    This from the guy who takes every opportunity to accuse other members of this site of racism while dropping MSM buzzwords and dogwhistles?

And just because I expressed defiance against those who want to make milk into a "racist' substance?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Keep spinning it, Boromir.

Keep spinning it, Boromir.
    I'll be here long after you are gone Grima.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'll be here long after you are gone Grima.
    Oh? And when are you going to deliver Eowyn?

A promise is a promise.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    That's racist!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Obligatory gif...

"The Patriarch"

What does it mean when a white guy drinks chocolate milk?

Cultural appropriation?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Obligatory gif...

Beat me to it. Lol.

I have a chocolate milk for a friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.