Thread: New study suggests cranberry juice will lower blood pressure.

New study suggests cranberry juice will lower blood pressure.

Cranberry juice may lower blood pressure

Published: Sept. 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM

WASHINGTON, Sept. 20 (UPI) -- A preliminary study funded by Ocean Spray Cranberries suggests regularly drinking cranberry juice may reduce blood pressure, U.S. researchers say.

Study leader Dr. Janet Novotny of the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Beltsville, Md., and colleagues, had 56 study participants drink either a glass of low-calorie cranberry juice or low-calorie sweetened placebo drink for breakfast and dinner for eight weeks as part of a controlled diet, Medpagetoday.com reported.

Blood pressure was measured at the beginning, mid-point and end of the study, Novotny said.

The study found after eight weeks, blood pressure levels dropped from an average of 121/73 mmHg to 118/70 mmHg for those drinking the low-calorie cranberry juice. The placebo group showed no change, the study said.

Cranberry juice is rich in antioxidants -- naturally occurring molecules in fruit, tea, wine and other foods -- which have been associated with lower blood pressure in other studies, Novotny said.

However, since cranberry juice is tart, it is often sweetened, and Novotny suggested drinking the low-calorie juice or subtract something from the diet so the extra calories don't add weight.

The findings were presented at the American Heart Association's High Blood Pressure Research Scientific Sessions in Washington.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2012/...#ixzz2744FcNXR

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    However, since cranberry juice is tart, it is often sweetened, and Novotny suggested drinking the low-calorie juice or subtract something from the diet so the extra calories don't add weight.
    You also have to watch out for artificial sweeteners in the "light" or low calorie versions. On the plus side, many use cane sugar now instead of HFCS. Dilute it with Vodka if you don't want too much sugar.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    You also have to watch out for artificial sweeteners in the "light" or low calorie versions. On the plus side, many use cane sugar now instead of HFCS. Dilute it with Vodka if you don't want too much sugar.
    Damn right.

I could become a stone cold alcoholic with this stuff.

A preliminary study funded by Ocean Spray Cranberries suggests regularly drinking cranberry juice may reduce blood pressure, U.S. researchers say.
    How amazing. A study funded by Ocean Spray came to that conclusion. Huh.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

I'll bet you can get a no sugar added version from somewhere like Whole Foods.

Yeah... studies which are funded by a industry which has an interest in positive results are not academic lol. That said, antioxidants are good for the cardiovascular system. So could it be reliable? Possibly... but not academic.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Man, 100% cranberry juice is REALLY hard to drink..

I'd actually recommend mixing it with a different, lighter juice that has a little natural sweetness to it and maybe even a little water. Or add water, honey or agave syrup, a little stevia and a little lime juice never hurt anybody (unless they have a cut).
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

This stuff is the bomb!

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    This stuff is the bomb!

"The bomb" is nomenclature from the 90s, take out the word "the" for the updated version.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    "The bomb" is nomenclature from the 90s, take out the word "the" for the updated version.

10--Roger
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

10--Roger
    Lulz.
    "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    I used to spend all of my time trying to find the cranberry juice with some cranberry juice in it. If I remember right it was way up on the top shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    Yeah... studies which are funded by a industry which has an interest in positive results are not academic lol. That said, antioxidants are good for the cardiovascular system. So could it be reliable? Possibly... but not academic.
    Sounds like a waste of a study to me..
    Cranberry juice is a known diuretic and blood thinner.
    Thinner blood = less pressure.

Hell, there was a time with doctors warned patients on blood thinners to not drink excessive amounts of cranberry juice when on the pills...

Cranberry juice is good for you, no sugar added is best, and use in moderation, like you should everything...
    Last edited by LibertyRevolution; 09-21-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    Biased study is biased.

Man, 100% cranberry juice is REALLY hard to drink..

I'd actually recommend mixing it with a different, lighter juice that has a little natural sweetness to it and maybe even a little water. Or add water, honey or agave syrup, a little stevia and a little lime juice never hurt anybody (unless they have a cut).
    Most of the time, even "100% cranberry juice", has grape and/or apple juice to cut the bitterness of the cranberry.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Most of the time, even "100% cranberry juice", has grape and/or apple juice to cut the bitterness of the cranberry.
    "A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down...".

Sugar isn't bad for you either.. in moderation..

A dropper full of high fructose corn syrup just doesn't help anything...
    Last edited by LibertyRevolution; 09-21-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyRevolution View Post
    "
    Sugar isn't bad for you either.. in moderation..

Our body needs sugar provided that it is used in moderation, however fruit juices have natural sugar in it, in fact higher glucose content than table sugar. What fruit juices that are suitable for the cranberry juice to improve the taste? Is it okay to use honey?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Even if limited to 16 ounce maximum drink sizes, that little bit of sweetener might still add up to help cull the human herd.

GMO corn can withstand glyphosate-based herbicides, but will some residual herbicide cause your pancreas or liver cells to quiver and/or become cancerous? Or, does it only "help" increase the rate of breast cancer in lab mice?

Maybe any high fructose corn syrup "help" is confined to employment of professionals paid to treat diabetics and supporting the diabetic supply industry.
    Last edited by FindLiberty; 09-24-2012 at 06:56 AM.