Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Tariff Man" to the tune of Billy Joel's "Pianoman"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Do you realize how stupid that sounds? "Foreign governments are dumping their goods on us for cheap. We need to give our government more power to stop it!"

The mind of a Trump supporter.

"Look! Those retailers over there are having a sale! Get the torches and pitchforks!"

Trump logic.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    "Look! Those retailers over there are having a sale! Get the torches and pitchforks!"

Trump logic.
    Foreign governments are not restricted by the same market forces that free market businesses are subjected to.

What is really happening is: "Look the local fence is selling stolen goods at well below market value, lets go buy from him"
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Feel like posting this in this thread. Can't figure out why...

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Neocons. Always wanting war. Always thinking they can centrally plan the universe. Whether they use bombs, sanctions, or tariffs is just a matter of a which weapon of war they choose.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Neocons. Always wanting war. Always thinking they can centrally plan the universe. Whether they use bombs, sanctions, or tariffs is just a matter of a which weapon of war they choose.
    And yet it seems that they oppose Trump's tariffs that actually defend against foreign trade wars against us.

Please let me know why government intervention in the marketplace is good when it is a foreign government, welfare is good when it comes from a foreign government, being dependent on others for your needs is good when the others are hostile foreigners and buying stolen goods is moral.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Feel like posting this in this thread. Can't figure out why...

Only Swordsmyth can rail endlessly against big government in one thread and praise it endlessly in another thread at the same exact time.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Only Swordsmyth can rail endlessly against big government in one thread and praise it endlessly in another thread at the same exact time.
    I am opposed to aggressive tariffs just as I am opposed to aggressive wars, I support defensive tariffs just as I support defensive wars.

If I had my way then we would have low uniform tariffs after other countries agreed to play fair.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You're still missing the point. I'm trying to explain it to you, but it's like you have a mental block there. Please consider this for a little bit.

If another county is subsidizing their products to sell to us cheap, yes, it hurts Ned the hammer maker and he may lose his good wage, but it benefits the contractor, the food supplier and the material harvester. We have MORE people working not less. (which, by the way is one of the reasons why with the trade deficit being the highest it's ever been, we have near full employment) The aggregate wealth of our country is INCREASED when they "dump" their products.

You keep focusing on Ned without considering all the other industries that benefit. All the other jobs that are created because each one of us saved resources when we bought the hammer. By advocating for barriers to trade to help Ned, you are advocating for the loss of jobs in the contracting, food supplying, and material harvesting industries. Does that make more sense, stated that way?? Freedom is a good thing.
    Let me help explain it to you, its sorta how you domestic wild pigs in order to make them easier to slaughter later. Feed them, get them used to not working for their food, make them dependent, then slaughter them.

Your argument works in a bubble, or arguably in a scenario where we have a gold standard. It simply doesn't work when you have a unlimited credit card. Unless of course, you want a country to collapse.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 12-07-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    And yet it seems that they oppose Trump's tariffs that actually defend against foreign trade wars against us.
    They? Who is They? You say that like You ain't They. They is you.

You're a neocon who doesn't even know it. This is classic neocon behavior. Wanting to manage the economies of the world.

Tariffs, blockades, sanctions, bombs, tanks, arrows and rocks. Just different weapons in the same tired old war. And you neocons think you can win the war better. Regardless of who gets hurt or how much wealth it costs.

I am opposed to aggressive tariffs just as I am opposed to aggressive wars, I support defensive tariffs just as I support defensive wars.

If I had my way then we would have low uniform tariffs after other countries agreed to play fair.
    Neocons and progressives. Always like to use that word, "fair". "Fair trade", "Fair Labor Standards", "Fair Wages", "Fair Housing", etc. It all means one thing: MOAR government control.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They? Who is They? You say that like You ain't They. They is you.

You're a neocon who doesn't even know it. This is classic neocon behavior. Wanting to manage the economies of the world.

Tariffs, blockades, sanctions, bombs, tanks, arrows and rocks. Just different weapons in the same tired old war. And you neocons think you can win the war better. Regardless of who gets hurt or how much wealth it costs.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Neocons and progressives. Always like to use that word, "fair". "Fair trade", "Fair Labor Standards", "Fair Wages", "Fair Housing", etc. It all means one thing: MOAR government control.
    Government creates UNFAIR conditions in the marketplace, that is true of foreign governments as well, the only way to get the foreign governments to stop is to use tariffs to negate their intervention and get them to agree to stop.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Where politics and governments are concerned ""fair" is ALWAYS a euphemism for violence or the threat of violence against those who have not aggressed against anyone.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Let me help explain it to you, tts sorta how you domestic wild pigs in order to make them easier to slaughter later. Feed them, get them used to not working for their food, make them dependent, then slaughter them.

Your argument works in a bubble, or in arguably in a scenario where we have a gold standard. It simply doesn't work when you have a unlimited credit card.
    Except that not what's happening. If you were really gearing up for the slaughter of another country, the last thing you'd do is trade them goods for paper!! You'd literally be taking usable resources from your land and putting them in the enemy's land. They are making us rich. Not only in the dollars we save, but in the resources we have. And because of that wealth, we will never be dependent on a single supplier. If that's really your fear, then you aren't thinking clearly enough. Or completely enough?

We certainly have other problems, including monetary problems, but it little to do with this trade discussion. Actually, Trump has actually done some good in other areas that is hiding the tariff mess. The tax cut increased the velocity of money and the regulatory slow down removed lots of wasteful corporate spending. Both of those things are really helping. (Although, the velocity thing is always good when it first starts, but it turns bad quickly.) But the tariffs? If it weren't for the other things, we'd be screwed - but at least then, we'd recognize the damage, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Where politics and governments are concerned ""fair" is ALWAYS a euphemism for violence or the threat of violence against those who have not aggressed against anyone.
    I guess it comes down to who you trust more to determine what is "fair": The market or Boromir up there.

Except that not what's happening. If you were really gearing up for the slaughter of another country, the last thing you'd do is trade them goods for paper!! You'd literally be taking usable resources from your land and putting them in the enemy's land. They are making us rich. Not only in the dollars we save, but in the resources we have. And because of that wealth, we will never be dependent on a single supplier. If that's really your fear, then you aren't thinking clearly enough. Or completely enough?
    They are not making us rich, they are making us poor and dependent on the government and foreign manufacturers for our needs personal and strategic.
    Only the globalists are getting rich.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

In time of peace our government attempts to reduce our people to serfdom by subsidizing their lifestyle and making them dependent on it for their needs.

In time of trade war the enemy does to us what our government does to us in time of peace.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They are not making us rich, they are making us poor and dependent on the government and foreign manufacturers for our needs personal and strategic.
    Only the globalists are getting rich.
    YOU are the globalist! Sheesh. You've got things so twisted to think "globalism" is about trade. "Globalism" is about world governance. And YOU want our government to govern the world. Global trade is a great thing. Hell, it's an essential thing. Put down the ring, Boromir.

YOU are the globalist! Sheesh. You've got things so twisted to think "globalism" is about trade. "Globalism" is about world governance. And YOU want our government to govern the world. Global trade is a great thing. Hell, it's an essential thing. Put down the ring, Boromir.
    LOL

The globalists openly talk of using "interdependence" to entangle formerly independent nations in world government and render any resistance futile, I support the independence of nations, it is the globalists that want us dependent on China and other totalitarian countries that are on board the world government agenda so that they can use economics to blackmail people into surrender to world government like they are using it to blackmail European countries to surrender to the EU.

Global trade is a good thing IF and only if it doesn't undermine the independence and sovereignty of our country.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

LOL

The globalists openly talk of using "interdependence" to entangle formerly independent nations in world government and render any resistance futile, I support the independence of nations, it is the globalists that want us dependent on China and other totalitarian countries that are on board the world government agenda so that they can use economics to blackmail people into surrender to world government like they are using it to blackmail European countries to surrender to the EU.

Global trade is a good thing IF and only if it doesn't undermine the independence and sovereignty of our country.
    Interdependence is a fantastic thing if controlled by market forces. But you don't want that. You want government to control it - you just want it controlled for what you think is your benefit. Any interdependence in your mind needs to be "fair" as judged by you. Not as judged by the people doing the trading. You don't trust the market. You don't trust freedom. You want a government to control the markets for you. You are 180 degrees off of Ron Paul on this.

Aside from "interdependence" cheap Chinese junk is used to lull Americans into a false belief that we can afford the tax and regulatory state, few will ever call for a serious reduction in taxation/spending or regulation as long as they can use their welfare to but subsidized Chinese imports and don't work in the industries that are damaged by the taxes and regulations.

Do you really think that the globalists who created the world we live in didn't create the "free" welfare trade situation as part of their designs for world government?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Interdependence is a fantastic thing if controlled by market forces. But you don't want that. You want government to control it - you just want it controlled for what you think is your benefit. Any interdependence in your mind needs to be "fair" as judged by you. Not as judged by the people doing the trading. You don't trust the market. You don't trust freedom. You want a government to control the markets for you. You are 180 degrees off of Ron Paul on this.
    Interdependence is a trap, you read what I wrote and you didn't even understand it.
    I don't trust the globalists and communists who created the status quo but you do it seems.
    There is no free market in international trade and you object to the tariffs that might serve to negotiate one that is more free.
    I would rather have government not control the market but that isn't where we are, the Chinese communist government is controlling the market, if a government is controlling the market I would rather have it be my government that I have a small amount of control over instead of a hostile foreign communist government and maybe we can even negotiate for a market that has less government control by any government.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Interdependence is a trap.
    Do you feel dependent on your gas station because they supply all your gas and you don't make any of your own? What if they shut it down on you?? You'd be SOL! Or you could just go to one of the other 20 gas stations around you who want your business. That's what true interdependence provides. Like a typical slave, you can't even envision a market that isn't being controlled.

Like Ron Paul said, let other nations do as they wish, but we should lower all of our tariffs regardless of what they do. Please tell me you think Ron Paul fits your definition of a "globalist".

He's 180 degrees off sanity on it too. TrumpAid has done it's work well with this one.
    Chris

Do you feel dependent on your gas station because they supply all your gas and you don't make any of your own? What if they shut it down on you?? You'd be SOL! Or you could just go to one of the other 20 gas stations around you who want your business. That's what true interdependence provides. Like a typical slave, you can't even envision a market that isn't being controlled.
    The global market is becoming ever more controlled by design and the globalists openly talk of using interdependence to snare nations into global government, they want us to be economically dependent so they can use sanctions to bring us to heel and strategically dependent so that they can conquer us directly if necessary.

There once may have been a free market in global trade but it hasn't been that way in a very long time, the only way we can keep our options open so that we can turn to other suppliers if the need arises is to maintain a minimum amount of independence and economic/military power so that our potential trade partners fear retaliation if they attempt to strong arm us into submitting to world government.

Our current Trade position is not like specializing in the job market and having limited reliance on others to supply some of our needs, it is like a welfare recipient who hardly works and is dependent on the government to support him, he must submit to any demand the government makes or lose his welfare and starve.

Like Ron Paul said, let other nations do as they wish, but we should lower all of our tariffs regardless of what they do. Please tell me you think Ron Paul fits your definition of a "globalist".
    He isn't one but he has been fooled into adopting the trade position that they want to use against America.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That is a pretty myopic view of it. We have an unlimited credit card now. They are playing the long game. You give away the resources for "free" until your enemy no longer has the ability to build/create/feed itself, then you cut them off and they are at your mercy. This aint checkers.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    That is a pretty myopic view of it. We have an unlimited credit card now. They are playing the long game. You give away the resources for "free" until your enemy no longer has the ability to build/create/feed itself, then you cut them off and they are at your mercy. This aint checkers.
    I get your argument, but you seem to forget that we have other potential suppliers waiting in the wings if some country foolishly tried that. It'll never happen. And even if it did, the wealth that we've been accruing in the meantime has allowed us to build more things - not less. If this magic land existed where we were cut off completely from the rest of the world, we have the wealth of resources and capability to find substitutes. Precisely, because they've been "dumping" them here.

Man, I wouldn't think the principles of liberty are this hard to understand. They've instilled some strange foreign fear into your head in order to get more power. That's all this is.

I get your argument, but you seem to forget that we have other potential suppliers waiting in the wings if some country foolishly tried that. It'll never happen. And even if it did, the wealth that we've been accruing in the meantime has allowed us to build more things - not less. If this magic land existed where we were cut off completely from the rest of the world, we have the wealth of resources and capability to find substitutes. Precisely, because they've been "dumping" them here.
    Consumables aren't wealth, we are losing our capacity to produce, you are trading your fishing boat for a load of fish and failing to teach your children how to fish because a fence is offering you the "deal of a lifetime".

Man, I wouldn't think the principles of liberty are this hard to understand. They've instilled some strange foreign fear into your head in order to get more power. That's all this is.
    The principles of liberty say that government intervention in the market place by a hostile foreign power is as bad or worse than domestic government intervention, "They" have created the status quo to serve them and enslave us and brainwashed the world to think it is "free trade".

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Consumables aren't wealth.
    See? This is where you don't know shyte about what your talking. Most of the consumables go the other way. From the US to China.

They are sending us electronics, machinery, equipment, furniture, toys... that kind of thing. If they were planning on destroying economically, they couldn't be doing more of an ass-backwards job of it. https://qz.com/1232833/explore-all-5...china-in-2017/

Guys, they've instilled an irrational fear in you. I get it. They want power. And they've convinced you to give it to them. It's what they do. But perhaps you could take a step into reality?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast