Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump to expand presence in Iraq!

Trump to expand presence in Iraq!

In a speech to the rank and file at Al Asad Airbase the president said he does not plan to withdrawal troops from Iraq and could use the site as the home base for future operations in the region.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...isit-Iraq.html

boo, Trump is a fraud!!!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    In a speech to the rank and file at Al Asad Airbase the president said he does not plan to withdrawal troops from Iraq and could use the site as the home base for future operations in the region.

boo, Trump is a fraud!!!
    Even if Syria forces are diverted to bring stability to Iraq/Iran regions, early reporting can be foggy and better to wait till foreign policy on these wars is settled and confirmed officially.
    I'm big supporter of free speech but lately critics have been bit too liberal with use of word "fraud" when crticizing MAGA. Despite critics claims, there is some evidence that he might not be willingly pushing globalist or war profiteering lobbies agenda.

Is he backing off leaving Syria as well? From his appearance in Iraq today:

Mr Trump said the US could use Iraq as a forward base if "we wanted to do something in Syria", Reuters news agency reports.

He defended his decision to withdraw US troops from Syria during the visit, saying: "A lot of people are going to come around to my way of thinking.

"I made it clear from the beginning that our mission in Syria was to strip Isis [another name for IS] of its military strongholds.

"Eight years ago, we went there for three months and we never left. Now, we're doing it right and we're going to finish it off."
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46687909
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-26-2018 at 02:41 PM.

boo, Trump is a fraud!!!
    This could just be propaganda to push back against the neocons who are screaming about the withdrawals.

Time will tell but even if he doesn't pull us out of Iraq it is still an improvement to leave Syria and start winding down Afghanistan.

I'm still hoping for more withdrawals.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    This could just be propaganda to push back against the neocons who are screaming about the withdrawals.

Time will tell but even if he doesn't pull us out of Iraq it is still an improvement to leave Syria and start winding down Afghanistan.

I'm still hoping for more withdrawals.
    He will do whatever Fox News says he should.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

No. No. You've got the meme wrong. That was soooo last month. Now it's "He will do whatever Rush Limbaugh says he should." Did you not get the latest Talking Points Bulletin?

Zippy 7.0?
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Zippy 7.0?
    I think this one is the Vista of the operating platforms.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Trump's choice of a permanent replacement for Mattis will tell us which way things will go.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

boo, Trump is a fraud!!!
    Just figured that out?
    There is no spoon.

Troops have been in Iraq for 15 years... what is the point? I'm mad

Troops have been in Iraq for 15 years... what is the point? I'm mad
    You shouldn't have expected him to withdraw from everywhere overnight, take the Syria pullout and the Afghanistan draw-down as the wins that they are and wait to see what happens next.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump also said this in Iraq:

“the United States cannot continue to be the policeman of the world.”

More at: https://www.breitbart.com/news/us-wo...ng-iraq-visit/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Rand Paul calls it mission creep and he's absolutely right. 15 years ago the troops were sent in to overthrow Saddam, now they're there to occupy forever. it's a perversion of the original mission and a disgrace. God bless Rand Paul.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand Paul calls it mission creep and he's absolutely right. 15 years ago the troops were sent in to overthrow Saddam, now they're there to occupy forever. it's a perversion of the original mission and a disgrace. God bless Rand Paul.
    Rand is absolutely right, we just can't expect Trump to pull all of the troops home from everywhere all at once, he would be impeached within a month.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I would actually support removing all troops from the middle east overnite . It really is the safest way .
    Do something Danke

Remember when Ron used to say Bring 'em home to loud cheers? seems along time ago now.

Alternatively, the Syria withdrawal could be propaganda for his base
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Alternatively, the Syria withdrawal could be propaganda for his base
    The troops are leaving, that isn't propaganda.
    This was just words, it might be propaganda.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sounds legit.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I would actually support removing all troops from the middle east overnite . It really is the safest way .
    So would I but I don't know if Trump would live and stay in office long enough to see it happen and Pence or Pelosi wouldn't follow through.

Remember when Ron used to say Bring 'em home to loud cheers? seems along time ago now.
    Unfortunately we got Trump instead of Ron and either one of them has a hostile congress do deal with.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

boo, Trump is a fraud!!!
    Thread title is a fraud. Says "expand presence in Iraq". Link provides no evidence to back that up. @Warlord is a fraud.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This was just words, it might be propaganda.
    In March, he said they would be "out very soon". https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/29/polit...gon/index.html

President Donald Trump said Thursday that the US would "be coming out of Syria like very soon," just hours after the Pentagon highlighted the need for US troops to remain in the country for the immediate future.

"We're knocking the hell out of ISIS. We'll be coming out of Syria like very soon. Let the other people take care of it now," Trump told supporters at an Ohio event on infrastructure.

"We are going to have 100% of the caliphate, as they call it, sometimes referred to as land ... But we are going to be coming out of there real soon. We are going to get back to our country, where we belong, where we want to be," Trump added.

One US defense official directly familiar with the ISIS campaign said it is unclear what the President meant by the comments. The military's current assessment is that now is not the time to consider withdrawal, citing numerous challenges in Syria.
    Now in December he said troops will be out of Syria "soon".

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ll-leave-syria

White House official: 'I don't know, quite frankly' when U.S. troops will leave Syria

A senior Trump administration official said Wednesday that she was unable to provide a time frame for U.S. troops leaving Syria after President Trump's pull-out decision appeared to catch administration officials and lawmakers off-guard.

"It's not that I'm not telling you, it's that I don't know, quite frankly," the official said during a White House conference call with reporters, referring timetable questions to the Pentagon, which also dodged requests for clarification Wednesday.

The White House conference call was held to clarify Trump's policy on pulling out about 2,000 troops, after lawmakers expressed concern about the abrupt end of a non-clandestine U.S. military operation that began with 2014 airstrikes.
    The timeline has gone from "immediately" to "within 30 days" to "gradually".

"Our understanding is that we will be doing this repositioning of troops and assets in an orderly fashion. The timeline is being designed, and I'm going to refer you to the Pentagon on the logistics and the process for that, because they are working it right now. It's not information that I have," she said.
    And today in Iraq Trump said that bases there could be used for future operations in Syria.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2018/12...oubled-region/

“We’ll be watching ISIS very closely,” said Trump, who was joined by first lady Melania Trump, but no members of his Cabinet or lawmakers. “We’ll be watching them very, very closely, the remnants of ISIS”
    Trump said that after U.S. troops in Syria return home, Iraq could still be used to stage attacks on IS militants.

We can use this as a base if we wanted to do something in Syria,” he said. “If we see something happening with ISIS that we don’t like, we can hit them so fast and so hard” that they “really won’t know what the hell happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Thread title is a fraud. Says "expand presence in Iraq". Link provides no evidence to back that up. @Warlord is a fraud.
    The OP says:
    President Trump said he does not plan to withdrawal troops from Iraq, however, and could use the site as the home base for future operations in the region, according to Bloomberg News.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    The OP says:
    And how is that an expanded presence?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Complete exit from Syria, Iraq and leaving it to Iran could be bad for our close allies like Israel. What is wrong with keeping some bases their for future freedom operations?

Presidents can be under tremendous pressures from neocons/their funders/lobbies that non-interventionist/anti-globalist America Firster purists might not appreciate. It likely doesn't apply to MAGA given his forceful personality but last "anti-war" Nobel Peace prize winning POTUS Obama had to face all sorts of pressure from Israel lobbies and his funders over his "dovish" Syrian intevention/Iran deal making including infamous Andrew Adler Atlanta Threat Scandal from some *****bag characters. Easy to be a idealist peace champion from cushy chairs, POTUS has to deal with the real world.

This could just be propaganda to push back against the anti-globalist supporters who are screaming about the foreign wars.
    To be deveil's advo, are you implying POTUS could be making misleading statements on plans while keeping real plans secret from his supporters & discussing those in private meetings with his top funders /senior leadership of GOP-Adelson etc?

Iraqi political and militia leaders condemned U.S. President Donald Trump's surprise visit to U.S. troops in Iraq on Wednesday as a violation of Iraq's sovereignty, and lawmakers said a meeting between Trump and Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi was canceled due to a disagreement over venue.Sabah al Saadi, the leader of the Islah parliamentary bloc, called for an emergency session of parliament "to discuss this blatant violation of Iraq's sovereignty and to stop these aggressive actions by Trump who should know his limits: The U.S. occupation of Iraq is over."
    The Bina bloc, Islah's rival in parliament and led by Iran-backed militia leader Hadi al-Amiri, also objected to Trump's trip to Iraq.
    "Trump's visit is a flagrant and clear violation of diplomatic norms and shows his disdain and hostility in his dealings with the Iraqi government," said a statement from Bina.
    Abdul Mahdi's office said in a statement that U.S. authorities had informed Iraq's leadership of the president's visit ahead of time. The statement said the Iraqi prime minister and U.S. president talked by telephone due to a "disagreement over how to conduct the meeting."
    Iraqi lawmakers told Reuters that the pair had disagreed over where their planned meeting should take place: Trump had asked to meet at the Ain al-Asad military base, an offer which Abdul Mahdi declined.

Qais al-Khazali, the leader of the powerful Iran-backed Asaib Ahl al-Haq militia said on Twitter, "Iraqis will respond with a parliamentary decision to oust your (U.S.) military forces. And if they do not leave, we have the experience and the ability to remove them by other means that your forces are familiar with."

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/iraqi-lawmake...013616711.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

And how is that an expanded presence?
    It's called deductive reasoning. If current Iraq troop presence stays the same, plus is used for future operations elsewhere, it can be assumed that more troops would be moved into Iraq (from Syria perhaps?), thus expanding Iraq presence, in order to stage new deployments elsewhere.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast