Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: statins

I'm still trying to figure out why they don't specifically test for high levels of lipoprotein (a) in the blood.

From what I've learned, that's the marker that would indicate a person is going to have problems with heart disease.

To learn more about this, you can read here....
    https://www.paulingtherapy.com/science.htm

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @Carlybee talk to a dietician or anyone (perhaps endocrinologist) who specializes in how diet affects you. MDs typically don't learn a lot about that because it's a specialty. ~hugs~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Oh I'm not..I am actually probably going to start looking for a new doctor. He basically told me I should take them even if I don't need them. I've already had issues with him wanting to prescribe meds my insurance won't even cover.

This is what he replied to me when I told him I wanted to try and reduce it with diet
    :
    God Complex much? :P Fire him.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Chester Copperpot

My LDL was 106 and my doctor wants me to take statins. I've heard bad things about them and would rather try to reverse with diet. When I told him that he sent me a crappy email stating theres nothing that will reverse it but statin drugs. For all I know he's getting kickbacks from the drug companies because he tries to push so many on me.
    my recent ldl was 146.. doctor wanted to put me on statins too.. i told him id change my diet and come back for another checkup... historically ive never had a cholesterol problem my entire life.. but my body is a little out of whack from radiotherapy cancer treatment last year and im sure theres some little changes going on so in my case it means to cut out all the fast food and mcdonalds and eat more things like vegetables... one of the strange effects when you lose your tastebuds from cancer treatment is that all your favorite foods no longer taste good (or take much longer to come back) whereas foods you dislike or dont eat much come thru fine as far as taste is concerned.. so because i never ate alot of salty or fast foods or vegetables those are the things that taste best.. broccoli literally taste better than a chocolate bar.. so it sucks that you cant enjoy something like candy however the plus is that vegetables taste better than candy.. so i might as well make the most of it.

That being said Vitamin C is your friend in this area. I dont normally recommend synthetic vitamins like ascorbic acid but if you take a 500mg of it, it will do much to get ldl out of your bloodstream and back into the liver where it can be disposed of properly.

eat all the peppers you can as they are the best source of vitamin c. if you drink orange juice make it fresh squeezed or dont bother with it as far as vitamins are concerned.

Also be sure to get a test for "C Reactive Protein" this is the true test to determine how much cholesterol is plaquing to your arterial walls. You can have all the cholesterol in the world and as long as theres no plaquing youre fine.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I can't imagine how it feels to be deliberately negative and unkind.
    I don't believe that for a second.

It wasn't intended to be either. You're just reading a tone into everything I post, and DonnaY is going to be your new bestie now.

The doctor/patient relationship is supposed to be very intimate. A lot of times people in bad relationships don't realize how bad the relationship actually is until they end it and start a new relationship. If this jerk can't be bothered to answer her questions or suggest alternatives, she should find someone who will.

Oh I'm not..I am actually probably going to start looking for a new doctor. He basically told me I should take them even if I don't need them. I've already had issues with him wanting to prescribe meds my insurance won't even cover.

This is what he replied to me when I told him I wanted to try and reduce it with diet:
    What a condescending asshat.

My LDL was 106 and my doctor wants me to take statins. I've heard bad things about them and would rather try to reverse with diet. When I told him that he sent me a crappy email stating theres nothing that will reverse it but statin drugs. For all I know he's getting kickbacks from the drug companies because he tries to push so many on me.
    106 is considered optimal. Your doctor is a quack. Statins are very bad for you. They also prevent absorption of some of the fats necessary for brain function. Some argue for a correlation between statins and degenerative dementias.

This is what he replied to me when I told him I wanted to try and reduce it with diet:
    First impression confirmed. This doctor is a quack. All he wants is kickbacks from pushing pharma. Dump him like a bad habit.

I'm on diabetes meds but working to get away from them. Not sure why my doc wants me to take soomething known to cause diabetes. I'm seriousy wondering if he is getting kickbacks from the drug companies. Anyhoo..I'm switching to a lifestyle doctor.
    Good news!

I'm on diabetes meds but working to get away from them. Not sure why my doc wants me to take soomething known to cause diabetes. I'm seriousy wondering if he is getting kickbacks from the drug companies. Anyhoo..I'm switching to a lifestyle doctor.
    (((Carly))) listen to your inner guide and take care of yourself( I know you will) too many people ignore that and listen to a doctor selling pills. Diabetes is nothing to mess around with I hope you will continue to monitor your sugar levels even though you want to fight it with diet.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    my recent ldl was 146.. doctor wanted to put me on statins too.. i told him id change my diet and come back for another checkup... historically ive never had a cholesterol problem my entire life.. but my body is a little out of whack from radiotherapy cancer treatment last year and im sure theres some little changes going on so in my case it means to cut out all the fast food and mcdonalds and eat more things like vegetables... one of the strange effects when you lose your tastebuds from cancer treatment is that all your favorite foods no longer taste good (or take much longer to come back) whereas foods you dislike or dont eat much come thru fine as far as taste is concerned.. so because i never ate alot of salty or fast foods or vegetables those are the things that taste best.. broccoli literally taste better than a chocolate bar.. so it sucks that you cant enjoy something like candy however the plus is that vegetables taste better than candy.. so i might as well make the most of it.

That being said Vitamin C is your friend in this area. I dont normally recommend synthetic vitamins like ascorbic acid but if you take a 500mg of it, it will do much to get ldl out of your bloodstream and back into the liver where it can be disposed of properly.

eat all the peppers you can as they are the best source of vitamin c. if you drink orange juice make it fresh squeezed or dont bother with it as far as vitamins are concerned.

Also be sure to get a test for "C Reactive Protein" this is the true test to determine how much cholesterol is plaquing to your arterial walls. You can have all the cholesterol in the world and as long as theres no plaquing youre fine.

Hope you're doing better now. I pretty much eat veggies, fruit, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds 5 days a week and chicken or fish on the weekends but I got off my game for a couple of months and I think that's why my numbers were a bit higher than the last time I went.

Also these diabetes meds actually make me crave sugar..thats a tough one for me. My ACL is 5.8.

I have no thyroid and no gall bladder so everything is a bit more complicated.
    Last edited by Carlybee; 08-24-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    106 is considered optimal. Your doctor is a quack. Statins are very bad for you. They also prevent absorption of some of the fats necessary for brain function. Some argue for a correlation between statins and degenerative dementias.
    Thanks...good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    @Carlybee talk to a dietician or anyone (perhaps endocrinologist) who specializes in how diet affects you. MDs typically don't learn a lot about that because it's a specialty. ~hugs~

i've actually found an MD who emphasizes lifestyle. He wrote a book about reversing diabetes with diet so I'm going to make an appointment.

i've actually found an MD who emphasizes lifestyle. He wrote a book about reversing diabetes with diet so I'm going to make an appointment.
    Yay! Awesome!

@Carlybee

Diabetes and cholesterol
    "I think the strongest evidence lies so far with diabetes and the promise of cinnamon and blood sugar control," Wright said, pointing to studies in test tubes and mice and even small studies in people showing that cinnamon helps with insulin sensitivity and glucose transport while decreasing inflammation.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/24/he...its/index.html

Most all chronic illnesses stem from inflammation. You have to work on getting inflammation down and you will start to turn things around, I believe. Not only will some of these herbs help bring down inflammation but they will help build your immune system as well.

TURMERIC

Turmeric
    Turmeric is a brilliant yellow spice common in Indian cuisine that you can find in any grocery store. Turmeric has been used as a medicine for centuries to treat wounds, infections, colds, and liver disease.

Studies have shown that curcumin, a compound in turmeric, may reduce inflammation in the body.

GINGER

Ginger
    Ginger is a zesty spice used in many cuisines. You can buy it powdered or as a fresh root in most supermarkets. Ginger has been used as a traditional medicine to treat stomach upset, headaches, and infections.

The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger have been praised for centuries, and scientific studies have confirmed it.

CINNAMON

Cinnamon
    Cinnamon is a popular spice often used to flavor baked treats. But cinnamon is more than just a delicious additive in our cakes. Studies have shown that the spice has anti-inflammatory properties, which can ease swelling. [The best cinnamon is from Vietnam or Sri Lanka ~donnay)

Keep a good supply of cinnamon on hand and sprinkle it in your coffee or tea, and on top of your breakfast cereal.

GARLIC

Garlic
    The anti-inflammatory properties of garlic have been proven to ease arthritis symptoms. A little bit can go a long way. Use fresh garlic in almost any savory dish for added flavor and health benefits.

If the taste is too much for you, roast a head of garlic for a sweeter, milder flavor.

CAYENNE

Cayenne
    Cayenne and other hot chili peppers have been praised for their health benefits since ancient times. All chili peppers contain natural compounds called capsaicinoids. These are what give the spicy fruit its anti-inflammatory properties.

Chili pepper is widely considered to be a powerful anti-inflammatory spice, so be sure to include a dash in your next dish. It has long been used as a digestive aid as well, so that’s an added benefit.

BLACK PEPPER

Black pepper
    If cayenne is too hot for your liking, you’ll be happy to know that the milder black pepper has been identified for its anti-inflammatory properties as well. Known as the “King of Spices,” black pepper has been valued for its flavor and antibacterial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory benefits.

Studies have shown that the chemical compounds of black pepper, particularly piperine, may be effective in the early acute inflammatory process.

CLOVE

Clove
    Cloves have been used as an expectorant, and to treat upset stomach, nausea, and inflammation of the mouth and throat. Research is still mixed, but evidence suggests that they may have anti-inflammatory properties.

Powdered clove works well in baked goods and in some savory dishes, like hearty soups and stews. You can also use whole cloves to infuse both flavor and nutrition into hot drinks like tea or cider.
    http://www.healthline.com/health/ost...ammatory-herbs
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Chester Copperpot

Hope you're doing better now. I pretty much eat veggies, fruit, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds 5 days a week and chicken or fish on the weekends but I got off my game for a couple of months and I think that's why my numbers were a bit higher than the last time I went.

Also these diabetes meds actually make me crave sugar..thats a tough one for me. My ACL is 5.8.

I have no thyroid and no gall bladder so everything is a bit more complicated.
    a little tidbit for you since you mentioned the sugar craving thing.. if you like raw honey you can eat that and it will give you that sweet taste without raising your blood sugar.. has to be raw though. not sure if it will make your craving go away but its worth a try.

Chester Copperpot

hey im sure you know this but just in case, exercise is a great way to lower your blood sugar... itll take sugar out of the blood and put it right into the muscles without needing insulin.

hey im sure you know this but just in case, exercise is a great way to lower your blood sugar... itll take sugar out of the blood and put it right into the muscles without needing insulin.
    I'm getting back on my regimin..got sidelined with a back issue for a while.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    a little tidbit for you since you mentioned the sugar craving thing.. if you like raw honey you can eat that and it will give you that sweet taste without raising your blood sugar.. has to be raw though. not sure if it will make your craving go away but its worth a try.
    same with maple syrup..I need to remember those low glycemic

One thing about statins that some doctors won't tell you is that statins lower CoQ10 levels. This is a concern because CoQ10 is vital to energy production in our bodies and is necessary for our heart, muscles, and cells to function! CoQ10 and cholesterol are made in the same pathway in our bodies so when statins block cholesterol production, they also block CoQ10 production.

If you end up taking a statin, please also talk to your doctor about taking a CoQ10 supplement along with it.

@Carlybee now that this is bumped, how things coming along WRT this thread's ongoing subject? ~hugs~

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    @Carlybee now that this is bumped, how things coming along WRT this thread's ongoing subject? ~hugs~
    I have no plans to take them. Have plans to go to a new doctor.

. Statins, such as atorvastatin and rosuvastatin, are the first-line treatment of choice for people with high cholesterol and heart disease
    Neither of which I have. I have a real issue with a doctor telling me I need to take something "whether I need it or not".

I have no plans to take them. Have plans to go to a new doctor.
    Nice! Hope the lifestyle changes are helping. ~hugs~ Praying for you.

Neither of which I have. I have a real issue with a doctor telling me I need to take something "whether I need it or not".
    Personally, I believe in the old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Wish I had known what I know now, or, I should say practiced what I knew. An open heart surgery and five years later an open abdominal aneurysm repair. Apparently from years of smoking like a freight train, poor nutrition / stress management, high BP (that incidentally came virtually out of nowhere), familial cholesterol, and just simple genetics....
    Anyway, I'm good now, thank's to some great physicians, life changes, and definitely some good pharmacology.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That entire article appears to be a conglomerative celebration of many kinds and types of logical fallacy. I was in fact unable to pick out a single attempt at logical reasoning that was not fallacious. I suppose they don't teach logic in medical school?

I believe that most everyone suffers from some form of vascular disease. I think that it begins early in life, in childhood, and progresses along at variable rates. I also think that most people can manage to slow it down, maybe even halt it or even reverse it, through eating properly and getting exercise. Some, unfortunate folks though, like my self, need help that only conventional medicine offers. I am convinced from the results of numerous test results that I have been able to significantly reduce the disease that I have. And I attribute it to a combination of various measures I have taken. That includes the use of a statin to reduce my excessively high LDL levels.

As for type two diabetes, the recommended management is weight loss. I believe that is the way to go too.

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    Personally, I believe in the old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Wish I had known what I know now, or, I should say practiced what I knew. An open heart surgery and five years later an open abdominal aneurysm repair. Apparently from years of smoking like a freight train, poor nutrition / stress management, high BP (that incidentally came virtually out of nowhere), familial cholesterol, and just simple genetics....
    Anyway, I'm good now, thank's to some great physicians, life changes, and definitely some good pharmacology.
    if it works for you great but my cholesterol, ldl, etc is normal..I'm not taking something I dont need anymore than
    i would take blood pressure pills if my blood pressue was normal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast