Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Attractive hazard" [Orlando Gator attack]

Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    A family from Nebraska which doesn't have alligators and didn't realize that they're all over the place in Florida, apparently.
    I think

they know now
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I think

they know now
    I never knew Texas had alligators until I made a friend in Texas. Until I found this distribution map (just now) I sure never thought they were in Arkansas!

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    At a golf course in Florida...

Yes, there are terrible awful alligators all over the place. They kill very few people. Half the things I posted about are far more dangerous than alligators, though admittedly the snake issue is going to be more of a daylight hours problem.

I hate to tell you this, but there are sharks in the ocean, too, though there are more often problems with jellyfish or pollution or rip currents.

There are mosquitoes and ticks that carry diseases --- a way more common problem than being carried off by an alligator.

If that murky, grass-filled water looks appealing to you, even after the hotels mention the lake is for fireworks and boat shows, then nothing I say is going to make you think otherwise. How many people died in Michigan due to snow-related issues last year? Would someone from Florida know about how dangerous the roads are there? At what point do you say "but it's OBVIOUS it's going to snow..."? If I visit them in Nebraska, and the sky gets dark, and I start hearing sirens, whose fault is it when I don't realize there's a tornado headed straight for me? The sirens should be someone's voice yelling "HEY! TORNADO COMING! GET INDOORS/UNDERGROUND AND STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS!" because the siren is not specific enough, right?

As for the videos, yeah, big gators are wandering around throughout May and June in particular. The smaller ones (like the one that killed this child) are more of a problem. The big ones are established and usually have a comfortable territory with females available. The smaller ones are still fighting to establish theirs. It's usually these smaller ones that harm people or wind up in swimming pools.

Here's another video for you:

That's what that "beautiful" water looks like up close. This family did not mention this to Disney, btw.

Dozens people die from digging holes at the beach (I've yet to see a warning about that, either).
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I'm in travel and tourism. It is impossible to put up enough warnings to make people have common sense. A two year-old can't read. Who was holding the child's hand? What were the parents doing? I would be willing to lay odds that one parent was taking pictures or video of the child. Just like the kid who fell in the bear thing in Cincinnatti. At what point do walls and encosures not mean something to a four year-old?

My job has a safety component. I can't count the times I have had to ask a parent to stop their child from doing something that is totally unsafe. We ask people do to something for a reason. We don't get our jollies bossing people around. We want to entertain them, but they really make it hard.

This past week we were visiting our kiddo and grandkiddos. We went to a place where there are valuable collections. There are alarms and instructions not to touch or sit on the furniture. We didn't. It was on a bay. The sign said, "No Wading or Collecting." So guess what? We didn't do it. The two year-old was in a stroller, then held by her dad. I had the 7 year-old. Husband had the 4 year old, and dd had the 9 year-old. That's how you keep your kids under control.

Take one picture, then enjoy the attraction. How many pictures of the child do you need? Parents miss a lot of face time with their kids when they interact with them through the lens of a camera. In the time it takes to snap a picture and post it on FB, the child can die. Save the free ranging for home.
    Forgive my brashness, but what in the hell? That sounds utterly idiotic. I don't care how jaded you are from being in the tourism industry, I'm sure signs save lives at least some of the time for those with a lick of sense. You can't always avoid it, but damn it, you can try. A sign saying "Danger! Alligator!" Would have been a real help here, as I'm sure no parent would let a two year old near the water if they knew there were alligators in there. Even if not, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here because Disney set up a freaking beach right on an alligator infested pond. Is Disney serious with this $#@!?

And as for missing "face time" with their kids when they're taking pictures, that, too, sounds pretty stupid. I don't know how long it takes you to snap some pictures, but it really shouldn't take that long and it's been bein' done for a long freaking time now. Snapping pictures has been a favorite pastime the world over since cameras were invented, and I don't see the effect you're apparently seeing that it's apparently having on childrens' psyches. Sounds like a pretty lame addendum to a story about a kid getting eaten by an alligator at a Disney club.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

My earliest childhood memory includes alligators. No bad feelings. Only my moms sunglasses were lost.

I wouldn't mind living in a place where alligators are common. It's the kind of thing you learn to live with. I try to be careful, not scared. Being scared won't do you any good. Being careful will.

Snakes are very much scarier imo. Even though I've handled some, I would rather have alligators around than (lethal) snakes.
    "I am a bird"

@PaulConventionWV: indeed. You would be surprised at how many parents don't know how to look their kids in the eye and have a conversation. All day long I watch people take picture after picture and waste their whole tour posting to social media. It's more the norm for it to be that way.

A two year old can't read. If the sign says no swimming, then stay on shore.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    I'm sure signs save lives at least some of the time for those with a lick of sense. You can't always avoid it, but damn it, you can try. A sign saying "Danger! Alligator!" Would have been a real help here, as I'm sure no parent would let a two year old near the water if they knew there were alligators in there..
    Maybe at some point, before the plethora of lawyers and litigation a sign might possibly, maybe, have been both read and its warning heeded...

In today's world there are warning signs on everything from pantyhose to Big-Macs and nobody reads them, for good reason, signs are intended to absolve the poster of responsibility.

In this particular instance posting a sign before some kid was eaten would have acknowledged the danger associated with letting guests get close to the water putting Disney in even more financial jeopardy...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Maybe at some point, before the plethora of lawyers and litigation a sign might possibly, maybe, have been both read and its warning heeded...

In today's world there are warning signs on everything from pantyhose to Big-Macs and nobody reads them, for good reason, signs are intended to absolve the poster of responsibility.

In this particular instance posting a sign before some kid was eaten would have acknowledged the danger associated with letting guests get close to the water putting Disney in even more financial jeopardy...
    As it should have.

@PaulConventionWV: indeed. You would be surprised at how many parents don't know how to look their kids in the eye and have a conversation. All day long I watch people take picture after picture and waste their whole tour posting to social media. It's more the norm for it to be that way.

A two year old can't read. If the sign says no swimming, then stay on shore.
    I never said I was surprised. It's unsettlingly common these days, but I'm just surprised more people tend to blame the parents whose child got snatched out of the blue than Disney who held a party on croc-infested waters and didn't try to warn anyone. You all just assume signs wouldn't have done any good and I can't figure out for the life of me how you can be so callous. Put up a tape, attach a recording to a loudspeaker in a perimeter around the lake. Do whatever you have to, but a sign that says no swimming seems awfully light in terms of security. You'd think a company like Disney would be a little better prepared to prevent tragedies like this, especially considering their reputation.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I never said I was surprised. It's unsettlingly common these days, but I'm just surprised more people tend to blame the parents whose child got snatched out of the blue than Disney who held a party on croc-infested waters and didn't try to warn anyone. You all just assume signs wouldn't have done any good and I can't figure out for the life of me how you can be so callous. Put up a tape, attach a recording to a loudspeaker in a perimeter around the lake. Do whatever you have to, but a sign that says no swimming seems awfully light in terms of security. You'd think a company like Disney would be a little better prepared to prevent tragedies like this, especially considering their reputation.
    Alligators, not crocs. Only a few places in FL have crocs and those are near the ocean as they need brackish water.

I'm really surprised by Disney, especially since they usually are on top of these things. I would have expected a sign with a photo of an alligator somewhere along that beach at the very least. Or even a "don't feed the alligators" sign. If you go to other parks/ponds around florida you will find such signs.

Sad event all around and Disney does have some responsibility here. I mean, you think to ban selfie sticks but can't put up an alligator warning sign near their habitat?!

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Nice tranny. M22?

This is a very tragic story. Not much different that the broken rail crossing gate, leading to someone getting hit by a train. Just prior to this, my wife and I were talking about another child that fell into an ape enclosure. One thing about the nanny culture is that it conditions people to assume others are looking out for their wellbeing. Where's the law that could have saved this young boy? Regardless - my heart goes out to the family. I cant even fathom what they must be going through.

On a slightly related topic, I recall there being uproars over hunting (swamp people). People up in arms and taking action over some evil guy that kills lions, or a woman that goes hunting moose for sport. There's plenty of 2 year olds that are attacked by so called "apex predators" in Africa. Most people over here only see such animals in the zoo, but over there "the zoo" is their back yard. Naturally, when someone's 2 year old is subject to such risks, their outlook on sport hunting is a bit different. Add a local industry that brings in millions and its a no-brainer. I wonder if anyone has gained any perception after this event, and the recent Cincinnati zoo incident? I assume not as they are very emotional topics, but these animals dont share the same emotions towards humans.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Lol at everyone who expressed outrage that Disney is responsible for having alligators.

Florida is completely and entirely alligator country. But yea, Disney should have walled off every body of water. Because "no swim" signs are insufficient.

I suppose I should really start some movement here in NC. Last year there were a flurry of shark attacks it seemed that every day some kid was losing an arm or leg all over all my home beaches. There has already been one at my beach in Atlantic Beach this past weekend. There's not one sign telling tourist that there are sharks in the ocean and nobody is suing the local Walmart either. Gotta do something about that travesty.

From last summer... http://abc11.com/news/marine-injured...-coast/831239/
    Last edited by asurfaholic; 06-16-2016 at 07:56 AM.
    No - No - No - No

And to be accurate, aren't most of these big lizards in Florida actually crocodiles?
    No - No - No - No

no, other way around. Only a couple of "imported" crocs have been discovered in Florida.

Disney is now going to ensure ALL gators and Crocs have clocks around their necks so tourists can hear them when they get close

#peterpan

Sorry... shouldn't joke about such a horrific thing, but saw that posted on twitter... gallows humor I suppose.

The family was from Nebraska and perhaps had no knowledge of how pervasive crocs and gators are in FL... Anyway... I can think of nothing more terrible for a parent to witness. Truly terrifying and depressing.
    Last edited by jllundqu; 06-16-2016 at 09:43 AM.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

You'd be surprised at how many people ignore signs and do what they want. "It's okay. I'm watching them." Disasters happen in the blink of an eye. Disney resorts have awesome swimming pools. It is so senseless to let a baby wade in a body of water that is specifically marked, "No Swimming."
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Alligators, not crocs. Only a few places in FL have crocs and those are near the ocean as they need brackish water.

I'm really surprised by Disney, especially since they usually are on top of these things. I would have expected a sign with a photo of an alligator somewhere along that beach at the very least. Or even a "don't feed the alligators" sign. If you go to other parks/ponds around florida you will find such signs.

Sad event all around and Disney does have some responsibility here. I mean, you think to ban selfie sticks but can't put up an alligator warning sign near their habitat?!
    Alligators, right. I can never tell them apart. I guess that makes me racist.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Lol at everyone who expressed outrage that Disney is responsible for having alligators.

Florida is completely and entirely alligator country. But yea, Disney should have walled off every body of water. Because "no swim" signs are insufficient.

I suppose I should really start some movement here in NC. Last year there were a flurry of shark attacks it seemed that every day some kid was losing an arm or leg all over all my home beaches. There has already been one at my beach in Atlantic Beach this past weekend. There's not one sign telling tourist that there are sharks in the ocean and nobody is suing the local Walmart either. Gotta do something about that travesty.

From last summer... http://abc11.com/news/marine-injured...-coast/831239/
    Everybody knows there are sharks in the ocean. It's not quite as obvious to somebody from out-of-state that you might find alligators in a freshwater pond, especially at a Disney event. Are you one of those people who always blames the stupid parents for the death of their child because they weren't smart enough to know the wildlife topography of the place they were visiting? Just natural selection, right? Stupid parents, stupid kid.

I don't care what anyone says, a sign would've been nice. Not everybody in the nation is aware of how commonly and where alligators are found in Florida. It was a party so it's entirely possible that some people didn't think the hosts would deliberately expose people to such a risk.

Does it really not sound even the least bit irresponsible to host an event on the edge of an alligator-infested pond to anyone? Did they really not consider the idea that it would be possible for this to happen? An alligator just comes up and grabs someone and, oh well, I guess $#@! just happens.

You'd be surprised at how many people ignore signs and do what they want. "It's okay. I'm watching them." Disasters happen in the blink of an eye. Disney resorts have awesome swimming pools. It is so senseless to let a baby wade in a body of water that is specifically marked, "No Swimming."
    So you're blaming the parents, then? Because "no swimming" obviously means OMG ALLIGATORS!

And the child wasn't $#@!ing swimming.

Oh, and get this: Alligators can actually WALK on dry land, no swimming required! I know, crazy!
    Last edited by PaulConventionWV; 06-16-2016 at 10:11 AM.

If Disney wasn't prepared, what hope for the rest of us?

When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

...or

I know those feelz, bro...

When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    And to be accurate, aren't most of these big lizards in Florida actually crocodiles?
    I think the American Croc is more rare. Gators are everywhere. Just marinade that in some Italian dressing and throw it on the grill in some kabobs.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I think the American Croc is more rare. Gators are everywhere. Just marinade that in some Italian dressing and throw it on the grill in some kabobs.
    Gator I've eaten was rubbery, didn't taste bad though..

Everybody knows there are sharks in the ocean. It's not quite as obvious to somebody from out-of-state that you might find alligators in a freshwater pond, especially at a Disney event. Are you one of those people who always blames the stupid parents for the death of their child because they weren't smart enough to know the wildlife topography of the place they were visiting? Just natural selection, right? Stupid parents, stupid kid.

I don't care what anyone says, a sign would've been nice. Not everybody in the nation is aware of how commonly and where alligators are found in Florida. It was a party so it's entirely possible that some people didn't think the hosts would deliberately expose people to such a risk.

Does it really not sound even the least bit irresponsible to host an event on the edge of an alligator-infested pond to anyone? Did they really not consider the idea that it would be possible for this to happen? An alligator just comes up and grabs someone and, oh well, I guess $#@! just happens.
    Agree. People not from gator country can be very comfortable around water (rivers, lakes, oceans) and be lured by a Disney property beach. "No swimming"? What about wading? Getting your feet wet?

The main danger in other places are currents and sharks. There are usually signs that warn of both, for those unfamiliar. Beaches are regularly closed for shark warnings. Generally, getting your feet wet is not a hazard. And there will be signs warning about unpredictable waves too.

As this resort seems to be on a lake or lagoon, so waves, currents and sharks are not an issue. It's reasonable to have warning signs at a place that caters to travelers.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    no, other way around. Only a couple of "imported" crocs have been discovered in Florida.
    Not true, there is an american crocodile species native to florida. But they are only found in a few places nowadays.
    https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Crocodile...can_crocodile/
    One of the primary reasons that the Crocodile Lake National Wildlife Refuge was established in 1980 was to protect and preserve critical habitat for the American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus). The American crocodile historically occurred throughout mangrove and estuarine areas of South Florida including the Florida Keys. Worldwide, American crocodiles are found throughout the Caribbean Sea, Central and South America along the Pacific and Atlantic coasts. Areas that contain breeding populations include Crocodile Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Turkey Point Power Plant cooling canals, and Everglades National Park. Increasingly, there is also evidence of nesting on areas further south in the Florida Keys and an overall increase in populations.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

This is a Google maps image of where I used to live (the apartment complex has been torn down recently.) The red “X” marks where I parked my car one Sunday morning in the early 1980s….got out to see an alligator had crawled out of that canal and was right in front of my car in that grassy patch between the parking lot and the canal just to the left of my car (not far from the driver side door — eek!!) Thank God he was dead….but that was a very scary moment. We have canals like that all over the place here. (Just think: y'all might not be putting up with me here today if that gator had been alive.... LOL!!)

Ironic that this happened at Disney, which has done more than any other outfit, to fog people's brains by anthropomorphizing animals into cuddly or comical cartoon creatures and not the dangerous wildlife they in fact are.

i heard Disney is planning a new resort in the middle of the African Savana near the lions territory.

So you're blaming the parents, then? Because "no swimming" obviously means OMG ALLIGATORS!

And the child wasn't $#@!ing swimming.

Oh, and get this: Alligators can actually WALK on dry land, no swimming required! I know, crazy!
    The child was two. We don't let loose of our 2yo granchild in busy public places. Two year olds need fairly constant supervision. Trust me.

I think the concept of Disney lulls people into a false sense of safety and security. That doesn't mean that 2 year olds are not going to act like 2year olds.

I would like to see the phone records of the parents. I'm just going by what I have observed of parents when they are on vacation.
    #NashvilleStrong

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast