Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Derek Chauvin used unauthorized neck restraint on George Floyd, training officer testifies"

Quote Originally Posted by A. Havnes View Post
    This video seems very similar to the Tony Timpa video. No one would watch that and assume that the officers didn't kill that man, but the misdemeanors they were charged with were dismissed.
    Does that mean that because those cops got off, these cops should get off too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Sorry, man... The way I see it is that the cops got called because a guy tried to pass off a bogus FRN to get a pack of cigs and they escalated it to the point of choking a guy out in front of a crowd. This is a law enforcement issue - not an issue with any particular cop.

You can blame the victim for not being subservient enough, you can blame the crowd for getting involved, you can blame miscommunication... But ultimately, the cops turned a weak attempt at petty theft into murder.
    Sure, but apparently Chauvin didn't show up until after the situation escalated.. he was there to de-escalate, and I don't know what more he could have done without proper hindsight. If we aren't putting all the blame on this one guy, do we put this guy in jail? I have no problem with looking at the system as a whole and trying to reform it, as opposed to blaming this one cop. It seems he is being used as the scapegoat.
    Last edited by dannno; 04-08-2021 at 12:29 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Does that mean that because those cops got off, these cops should get off too?
    The cops should get off, they just did what they were trained to do - and it wasn't completely unreasonable. The system could certainly use a lot of reform.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Sure, but apparently Chauvin didn't show up until after the situation escalated.. he was there to de-escalate, and I don't know what more he could have done without proper hindsight. If we aren't putting all the blame on this one guy, do we put this guy in jail? I have no problem with looking at the system as a whole and trying to reform it, as opposed to blaming this one cop. It seems he is being used as the scapegoat.
    More like a sacrificial lamb. They wouldn't want the citizenry to look at the institutions.

That being said, I'll lose no sleep if their foot soldiers start taking falls because of their practices. That could lead to some real change... Eventually.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Supporting Member
    North Wilkesboro, NC

Oh boy.
    There goes the prosecution’s case!
    Here comes the torchings, lootings, and destruction.

A national use-of-force expert testified on Tuesday that Officer Derek Chauvin DID NOT use deadly force on George Floyd during his arrest.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...-george-floyd/

Nancy Pelosi describes the impact the Derek Chauvin trial has had on her, calls George Floyd’s death a ‘public assassination’

Ledyard King and Susan Page, USA TODAY
    Apr. 14, 2021

WASHINGTON – As she watched the Derek Chauvin murder trial, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was struck by the teenage girl who took the viral video of the Minneapolis Police officer as he knelt on George Floyd for nearly nine minutes in what Pelosi called a "public assassination."
    Darnella Frazier, 18, testified March 30 that she remains haunted by the tragedy, staying up some nights "apologizing and apologizing to George Floyd for not doing more and not physically interacting and not saving his life."
    Pelosi, D-Calif., said it hit a nerve.

"I feel sad about the spectators, and that that young woman who said she's up all night because she wonders what she could have done differently," Pelosi said. "I think if any of us was there, we would have gone up and just pulled him off him. But we might have gotten shot, and that's probably why somebody didn't pull him off."

usatoday.com/in-depth/news/politics/2021/04/14/nancy-pelosi-impact-derek-chauvin-trial-policing/7205667002/

Pelosi could see political fallout if turned out that she had supported foreign training trips of US police where such 'knee on neck' tactis were taught.

Brown Lives Matter: Israeli Soldiers Kill Unarmed Autistic Palestinian in Occupied E Jerusalem

Jun 01, 2020
    MN cops learned Knee-On-Neck in Israeli training trip.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Nancy Pelosi describes the impact the Derek Chauvin trial has had on her, calls George Floyd’s death a ‘public assassination’...

Pelosi could see political fallout if turned out that she had supported foreign training trips of US police where such 'knee on neck' tactis were taught.
    Nevermind the tactics... How about the policies that led to this?! She supported all the drug laws that criminalized the lower class. She heartily supported militarizing the police. She supported the policies that make tobacco so expensive. And she called for a complete shut down of the economy that directly led George Floyd to be unemployed - causing him to try to swindle to get a pack of those expensive smokes.

Such a shame to see the result of all your good intentions, eh Nancy??

Of course, she will NEVER even conceive of her complicity in this situation.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Nevermind the tactics... How about the policies that led to this?! She supported all the drug laws that criminalized the lower class. She heartily supported militarizing the police. She supported the policies that make tobacco so expensive. And she called for a complete shut down of the economy that directly led George Floyd to be unemployed - causing him to try to swindle to get a pack of those expensive smokes.

Such a shame to see the result of all your good intentions, eh Nancy??

Of course, she will NEVER even conceive of her complicity in this situation.
    Nancy is not that different from typical politicians, trying to swing point on every turn despite having supported policies causing given outcomes.

Pelosi takes a knee

From: Rising support for 'Take a knee'/BLM/Justice campaigns could harm global freedom wars?

Source is a controversial fakenews outlet, exercise caution:

Biden preparing for 'tinderbox' with country on edge ahead of verdict in Chauvin trial

By Jeff Zeleny and Kevin Liptak, CNN
    Updated 8:10 AM ET, Mon April 19, 2021

(CNN)President Joe Biden is keeping a watchful eye on this week's closing arguments in the Minneapolis trial of Derek Chauvin, fearful that a controversial verdict could inflame new racial tensions and further escalate a deepening crisis in confidence with the nation's police forces.

The President voiced his concern about potential fallout from the trial during a private meeting last week with members of the Congressional Black Caucus, people familiar with the session said. For weeks, it has also been a point of worry in conversations with Vice President Kamala Harris, aides say, even as the White House grapples with a cascading wave of mass shootings in America.
    As he begins his fourth month in office, Biden is presiding over a country on edge, as protests in several cities over the weekend underscored the fresh urgency of a national reckoning on racial justice and police reform.

The White House is bracing for a week ahead that could be particularly volatile, with a Thursday funeral set for Daunte Wright -- another Minnesota man killed by a police officer -- along with new revelations from a police-involved shooting of a 13-year-old boy in Chicago, as well as the verdict in the Chauvin trial.

cnn.com/2021/04/19/politics/joe-biden-chauvin-trial-preparations/index.html

Sources: NBA tells teams to be ready for impact of verdict in Derek Chauvin trial

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-chauvin-trial

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The riots that will happen regardless of the outcome of the trial, is going to be biblical.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Judge Scolds Maxine Waters for ‘Abhorrent’ Comments, Says She ‘May Have Given’ Chauvin an Argument for Appeal

By Sarah RumpfApr 19th, 2021, 5:59 pm

After the prosecutors and defense attorneys presented their closing arguments in the Derek Chauvin trial, the defense moved for a mistrial because of media coverage of the case and comments by Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA). Judge Peter Cahill acknowledged that Waters might have given the defense an argument to use for an appeal, and scolded her for making “disrespectful” and “abhorrent” comments on the case, but did not feel that the issue rose to the level that would require a mistrial.

Defense attorney Eric Nelson argued that the high level of media attention was “so profound” and “so pervasive” that it was impossible for the jury to not have been tainted by it. The jury who will decide if Chauvin is criminally responsible for the death of George Floyd was not sequestered during the trial itself, and will only be sequestered now during their deliberations.
    Nelson referenced Waters’ recent comments as she joined a protest in Minneapolis that if Chauvin was not convicted that they would have to “get more confrontational,” calling it “mind-boggling” that “we have U.S. Representatives threatening acts of violence in relation to this specific case.”
    Nelson had not mentioned Waters by name, but Cahill was clear on the reference he was making. “Well, I’ll give you that Congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned,” the judge said, “but what’s the state’s position?”

Nelson replied that he was making his objection to preserve the issue for appeal, and that he was willing to supplement the record with specific media reports.
    Cahill agreed that Nelson would be allowed to supplement the record, but added that he was “aware of the media reports,” and that “Congresswoman Waters was talking specifically about this trial, and about the unacceptability of anything less than a murder conviction, and talking about being “confrontational.”
    “This goes back to what I’ve been saying from the beginning,” Cahill continued, clearly perturbed. “I wish elected officials would stop talking about this case, especially in a manner that’s disrespectful to the rule of law, and to the judicial branch and our function. I think if they want to give their opinions, they should do so in a respectful — and in a manner that is consistent with their oath to the Constitution, to respect a co-equal branch of government. Their failure to do so I think is abhorrent, but I don’t think it’s prejudiced us with additional material that would prejudice this jury.”
    The jury had been told not to watch the news, he explained and he trusted that they were following those instructions and did not feel one congresswoman’s opinion was enough to taint the entire process.

mediaite.com/news/watch-judge-scolds-maxine-waters-for-abhorrent-comments-says-she-may-have-given-chauvin-an-argument-for-appeal/

"The jury had been told not to watch the news"

That might be bit late though, almost everyone has probably watched the news on this by now and many have likely formed strong opinions.
    This was just one recent sample of views from within MAGA camp (which can be described as 'moderate progressive Left' ):

'Justice for George Floyd': Donald Trump's Youngest Daughter Supports Black Lives Matter Protests

Tiffany Trump shareda post seeking justice for George Floyd on Instagram amid the 'Black Lives Matter' protest | Image credit: Reuters
    June 4, 2020
    In a bold move, Donald Trump's youngest daughter Tiffany Trump recently expressed her solidarity with the George Floyd and 'Black Lives Matter' protests with a 'Blackout Tuesday' post on Instagram.
    On Wednesday, Tiffany took to the photo-sharing platform and shared an image of a black screen along with a Helen Keller quote.

From: As President's daughter supports BLM protests, Piers Morgan calls on Trump to take the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    The riots that will happen regardless of the outcome of the trial, is going to be biblical.
    Some states have started pre-emptive steps apparently.

DeSantis signs Florida's anti-riot bill, cites Chauvin trial
    Mon, April 19, 2021
    TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida's top Republicans cited events in cities around the country — but not the Jan. 6 riots in Washington — as Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill Monday to create tougher penalties for people who participate in violent protests.
    news.yahoo.com/desantis-signs-floridas-anti-riot-172445714.html

I could be wrong but starting to think that in this case media coverage might be bit over-highlighting the riots prospects and actual reaction of any verdict might be surprisingly calmer than expected (due to current political climate in America among other factors that I will try to delve into later).

Flashback:

Black officer fired for intervening in white colleague’s chokehold

June 16, 2020

Officials in Buffalo, N.Y., want an investigation into the firing of a black police officer who intervened when a white colleague had a suspect in a chokehold.
    The incident happened in November 2006. At the time, Officer Cariol Horne had served 19 of the 20 years needed to receive her pension, a spokesperson for Horne told CNN.
    But Horne was fired for intervening and did not qualify for her pension, the city said.

“The message was sent that you don’t cross that blue line and so some officers — many officers don’t,” said Horne in an interview Tuesday with CNN’s Brianna Keilar.
    “I don’t want any officer to go through what I have gone through,” Horne continued. “I had five children and I lost everything but [the suspect] did not lose his life. So, if I have nothing else to live for in life, at least I can know that I did the right thing and that [he] still breathes.”
    To rectify what it perceives as a wrong, the Buffalo Common Council — the city government’s legislative branch — has submitted a resolution to the New York Attorney General’s Office to take a second look at the case.
    The council references the case of George Floyd, who died after then-Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin’s knee was pressed on his neck for eight minutes and 46 seconds on May 25. Chauvin has been fired and charged with second-degree murder. Three other officers on the scene were charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter.
    “There is a responsibility to propose special protections for individual police officers who intervene to protect citizens from excessive use of force situations involving their other officers,” the council said it its resolution.

The resolution calls on the Buffalo Police Department to enforce and train officers on the “Duty to intervene” policy within the next 30 days and to check for any attendance discrepancies into the needed days for her to receive her pension.
    The “Duty to intervene” policy calls for officers to protect citizens from unnecessary or excessive use of force, the resolution says.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/...ues-chokehold/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12