Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Evaluation: Rebekah Bydlak (US House, FL-1)

Campaign Evaluation: Rebekah Bydlak (US House, FL-1)

This thread is intended to be a collection point of the strong pros and cons of any potential liberty candidate / campaign that is being discussed / promoted on the forum. You are welcome to post both positive and not-so-positive attributes about the candidate as they related to the evaluation.

Information

Candidate Information
    Candidate Name: Rebekah Bydlak
    Office Sought: U.S. Congress
    Party: Republican
    State / District: FL / 1st
    Social Media:
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rebekah2016/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/rebekah_2016

Race Information: Competition & Demographics
    Incumbent: Jeff Miller (R) - Retiring.
    Primary Date: August 30, 2016
    Other Primary Candidates:
    1st District Candidates:
    - Robert Blake (R) ~ Defense Contractor, Retired USAF Officer
    - Cris Dosev (R) ~ Real Estate Developer, Retired USMC Officer
    - Greg Evers (R) ~ State Senator, Farmer, Ex-State Representative
    - Brian Frazier (R) ~ Retired Navy Captain
    - Matt Gaetz (R) ~ State Representative, Attorney
    - Rich Gazlay (R) ~ Roofing Contractor
    - John Mills (R) ~ Physician
    - Mark Wichern (R) ~ Structural Restoration Contractor
    - James Zumwalt (R) ~ Ex-Congressional Aide, Iraq War Veteran
    - Michelle Ryan (R)
    Non-Incumbent Candidates from Other Parties:

Evaluation

Candidate Profile: Issues
    Civil Liberties: [Rating TBD]
    Constitutional Issues: [Rating TBD]
    Economic Issues: [Rating TBD]
    Foreign Policy: [Rating TBD]
    Social Issues: [Rating TBD]
    Overall Issues Rating: [Rating TBD]

Candidate Profile: Personal
    Honesty: [Rating TBD]
    Issue consistency: [Rating TBD]
    Personality: [Rating TBD]
    Associations: [Rating TBD]
    Relevant experience: [Rating TBD]
    Personal history: [Rating TBD]
    Overall Personal Rating: [Rating TBD]

Candidate Rating: [Rating TBD]

Race Profile Rating
    Race Impact Rating: [Rating TBD]
    Victory Impact Rating: [Rating TBD]

Race Profile Rating: [Rating TBD]

Overall Rating:

Evaluation Commentary

Key strong points:

Possible weak points:

Possible deal breakers:

Unknown points for further research:

Rating commentary:
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 08-24-2016 at 10:36 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Seems like a reasonable bet. Any info on how she's doing on the ground?

I wouldn't hold this against her, but her husband trashed Rand Paul with just nothing smears.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...nd-paul-120844
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 05-10-2016 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I wouldn't hold this against her, but her husband trashed Rand Paul with just nothing smears.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...nd-paul-120844
    That was more like lamenting.

Since serving as Ron Paul’s fundraising director in 2008, I have often been asked what made Congressman Paul so popular—why he was able to raise so much money, especially online. In recent months, a new question has replaced the old ones: Will his son be able to do the same?

Earlier this year, when reporters began calling to ask for my predictions about how Paul the younger’s fundraising momentum would compare to his father’s, I behaved as I thought was appropriate: I hedged. I bit my tongue. I answered cautiously.

Through it all, I haven’t said what now seems increasingly obvious: There is little chance that Rand Paul’s momentum will ever match that of Ron Paul.
    That article will be seen as a good sign by the majority of this forum. Complaining about things like Rand signing the Tom Cotton letter is an understandable "complaint", although if he was a supporter, he would save the negatives for post-campaign, not at the beginning.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    That was more like lamenting.

That article will be seen as a good sign by the majority of this forum. Complaining about things like Rand signing the Tom Cotton letter is an understandable "complaint", although if he was a supporter, he would save the negatives for post-campaign, not at the beginning.
    The unfortunate reason is clear: Rand Paul doesn’t stand for much of anything anymore.
    Rand was a once in a lifetime candidate. If someone feels Rand doesn't stand for anything, then they are on a different team than I am on.

Absolutely. The more the better.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

Sounds promising, but what's the competition look like?

More info:

Today 25-year-old native Floridian Rebekah Johansen Bydlak announced her Republican candidacy for the state’s 1st Congressional District.

Born and raised in McDavid community in north Escambia County, she attended Pensacola State College and the University of West Florida and holds a master’s degree in political science and public administration from UWF.

Since graduation, Bydlak has served as Outreach Director for the Coalition to Reduce Spending, an advocacy organization dedicated to reducing federal spending and debt -of which her husband Jonathan, former Director of Fundraising for Ron Paul’s 2008 Presidential campaign, serves as president.

“The First District deserves innovative solutions, not just more of the same,” Bydlak said in her press announcement. “A vibrant, 21st century economy that benefits all demands a federal government that abides by our Constitution.”

“Washington is broken,” she added, “and I have the experience to be part of the solution. Every child born today will face tens of thousands of dollars in debt they did not ring up, thanks to career politicians who have no interest in stopping business as usual. I will fight for my generation’s right to be free from this burden.”
    http://ricksblog.biz/another-republi...or-congress-2/

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand was a once in a lifetime candidate. If someone feels Rand doesn't stand for anything, then they are on a different team than I am on.
    It's an unfortunate characteristic of stubborn contrarians, critics, pessimists and libertarians to save their harshest, and often loudest criticism for those closest to their own ideology.

Guess there's a bit of karma here. He gave up on Rand early in the process, which led to you bringing up a negative as soon as his wife announces she is running.

Although I'm sure she is solid on the issues, I don't think she has any chance to win whatsoever.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Although I'm sure she is solid on the issues, I don't think she has any chance to win whatsoever.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    Sounds promising, but what's the competition look like?
    Republican District, incumbent is retiring. Wide open, but crowded field.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    What is the GOP Primary process in Florida? Majority required or some plurality?

She is a long-shot, but she has a chance to win. She would probably do well to use the essential platform used by two recent no "chance to win whatsoever" candidates*. Dave Brat was one of them.

*On top of liberty-oriented, small government and Constitutional positions.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 05-10-2016 at 06:58 PM.

Her narrative is insurmountable and I doubt she will be able to raise the money. But she knows a lot of people who know how to win elections so it is quite possible that she will be able to position herself as well as possible and squeak out a lucky victory. With a crowded field, it could easily be only a few thousand voters (or less) who determine the outcome. She might get lucky. But short of that, I don't think she has any chance at all, the math just doesn't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It's an unfortunate characteristic of stubborn contrarians, critics, pessimists and libertarians to save their harshest, and often loudest criticism for those closest to their own ideology.

Guess there's a bit of karma here. He gave up on Rand early in the process, which led to you bringing up a negative as soon as his wife announces she is running.
    She probably is good and people should support her. I had never heard of him but I recognized Jonathan Bydlak's name instantly, because I remember he went to Politico when everyone was piling on to Rand to further the narrative that Rand was a sellout. It it the only time I have ever heard of him.

I actually just Googled his name and this popped up. I can't help myself. Apparently this article struck a nerve with other people.

She probably is good and people should support her. I had never heard of him but I recognized Jonathan Bydlak's name instantly, because I remember he went to Politico when everyone was piling on to Rand to further the narrative that Rand was a sellout. It it the only time I have ever heard of him.

I actually just Googled his name and this popped up. I can't help myself. Apparently this article struck a nerve with other people.

LOL. Yeah, I gave him a hard time. We hadn't even started yet and he was throwing in the towel, so timing is important.

But the gist of this from a campaign evaluation standpoint is that Rebekah would probably be more like Ron than Rand, not that there's much of an actual divide there.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 05-10-2016 at 10:37 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm wary of sending money to people running for a federal office with no voting record. Hope she surprises a lot of people though.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Her narrative is insurmountable and I doubt she will be able to raise the money. But she knows a lot of people who know how to win elections so it is quite possible that she will be able to position herself as well as possible and squeak out a lucky victory. With a crowded field, it could easily be only a few thousand voters (or less) who determine the outcome. She might get lucky. But short of that, I don't think she has any chance at all, the math just doesn't add up.
    Her narrative is insurmountable??? What does that even mean?

And now I'm curious if you had a prediction for Eric Brakey's race in ME? (very much a long shot, as was Gunny's)

I've already sent money to Rebekah, and attended her fundraiser in DC last week where Amash showed up in support. I had a discussion with her over fundraising and she not only acknowledged the importance of making the calls, but also nailed it by finishing the convo with an ask. I think she may just "pull a Brakey" regarding fundraising. Beyond that, the crowded field may help more than hurt, and in many ways, traditional "math" has pretty much been thrown out the window this cycle.

Finally, regardless of her chances, the platform to spread ideas is always valuable.

#GoGrassroots
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

The main competition seems to be Matt Gaetz, who has $340k ($113K from himself) on hand and is a sitting member of the FL state house.

Bydlak didn't file in March (I don't know if she entered the race then).

This would be an ideal house seat to target if we had a candidate who had been elected locally and could get people knocking doors. Does anyone know how she's doing in that respect. I've given some money to Brannon in NC who I think can thread the needle. If Bydlak has a decent shot I'd be happy to support her as well but I'd prefer not to throw money away.
    Last edited by johndeal; 05-11-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johndeal View Post
    The main competition seems to be Matt Gaetz, who has $340k ($113K from himself) on hand and is a sitting member of the FL state house.

Bydlak didn't file in March (I don't know if she entered the race then).

This would be an ideal house seat to target if we had a candidate who had been elected locally and could get people knocking doors. Does anyone know how she's doing in that respect. I've given some money to Brannon in NC who I think can thread the needle. If Bydlak has a decent shot I'd be happy to support her as well but I'd prefer not to throw money away.
    Her husband was active here in 2008, I'll see if he still has his PW and can keep an eye on this to answer questions/etc.
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulhawaii View Post
    Her narrative is insurmountable??? What does that even mean?
    It means that 20-something year old girls who don't have much life experience, haven't accomplished much, don't live in the district, and don't have a life story are unlikely to get elected to anything, much less Congress.

And now I'm curious if you had a prediction for Eric Brakey's race in ME? (very much a long shot, as was Gunny's)
    I don't know anything about his race. Wasn't he already elected?

I've already sent money to Rebekah, and attended her fundraiser in DC last week where Amash showed up in support. I had a discussion with her over fundraising and she not only acknowledged the importance of making the calls, but also nailed it by finishing the convo with an ask. I think she may just "pull a Brakey" regarding fundraising. Beyond that, the crowded field may help more than hurt, and in many ways, traditional "math" has pretty much been thrown out the window this cycle.

Finally, regardless of her chances, the platform to spread ideas is always valuable.

#GoGrassroots
    Math is still math, and as I mentioned, if she does everything right, she might get lucky, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

If the other guy wins, and she is smart, she will use the massive list she built to run for state legislature. Even that is a tall order, but she would have a better chance to win that than to win a Congressional seat.

It means that 20-something year old girls who don't have much life experience, haven't accomplished much, don't live in the district, and don't have a life story are unlikely to get elected to anything, much less Congress.
    Bydlak could nonetheless use this campaign to get candidate experience, build her brand and to find out which portions of the district most strongly support her. She could then run for state legislative office in one of those areas. Or she should keep a campaign apparatus "motor running," and wait for an open seat she could latch onto when the right opportunity arises.

Anyway, here's her picture:
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Quote Originally Posted by Peace&Freedom View Post
    Bydlak could nonetheless use this campaign to get candidate experience, build her brand and to find out which portions of the district most strongly support her. She could then run for state legislative office in one of those areas. Or she should keep a campaign apparatus "motor running," and wait for an open seat she could latch onto when the right opportunity arises.
    I think that is what I just wrote above.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

...hopefully someday we can get some politicians who understand and will correct 'the debt that ought not to be debt', etc. hideous, fraudulent bankster privilege$ galore...

...sadly, this lady appears yet another in a seemingly endless parade of republicrat monetary ignoramuses...

...she's pretty good-looking though..and this alone may attract lots of republicrats...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think that is what I just wrote above.
    I added the elements of brand-building, gaining experience and picking the most supportive local district to fill out your point. As we've seen, having a good mailing list is only one aspect of winning elections.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

"20-something" is spin. She is young, 25, but that is the same type of lame attack used against 27 year old Sen. Eric Brakey when he ran two years ago, who, as an aspiring actor in NYC, had even less established "life experience" Further, using the Brakey example, he actually was not born and raised in ME, and only moved there to head up RP's 2012 campaign. Rebekah, on the other hand, was born and raised in the district, (and she actually does live there). While they both have deep roots in their respective areas, Rebekah's are more solid.

Continuing, we have Rebekah's current position as Director of The Coalition to Reduce Spending, which has given her a heap of experience on how things actually work in government. Add the fact that she earned a master’s degree in political science/public administration (from University of West Florida,) and you have a local girl with skills and the building blocks of a compelling story.

I don't know anything about his race. Wasn't he already elected?
    What part of "had" are you having trouble with?

Math is still math, and as I mentioned, if she does everything right, she might get lucky, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

If the other guy wins, and she is smart, she will use the massive list she built to run for state legislature. Even that is a tall order, but she would have a better chance to win that than to win a Congressional seat.
    I really doubt you even have the data to run the math, much less have run it. ISTM you are just spouting off, like the negative nancy you often resemble. I mean hell, you didn't even know she grew up and lives there...

~ C.Coolidge

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

...brakey is another republican (state senator) monetary ignoramus who shilled for stinking ted cruz...if this is what is termed a 'liberty candidate', i'll pass...

...stinking republicans give 'liberty' a really really bad name...ugh....
    Last edited by H. E. Panqui; 05-12-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by H. E. Panqui View Post

...brakey is another republican (state senator) monetary ignoramus who shilled for stinking ted cruz...if this is what is termed a 'liberty candidate', i'll pass...

...stinking republicans give 'liberty' a really really bad name...ugh....
    Your ignorance tells me you are just trolling. Please show us where Brakey shilled for Cruz. What I saw was that he stated that Paul was his candidate, Paul is who he caucused and voted for, but as a representative of the people who voted to make him a delegate, he would cast his vote at the RNC for the winner of his Caucus.

FTR, Brakey and I were friends long before he went to Maine and I'm one of two who convinced him to go, mentored him, and advised him throughout his race.

I'm especially pleased that he has been put on the platform and resolutions committee at the RNC. I know he will represent our interests as best he can.

Anyway, this thread is about Rebekah...

It's good to see her running at her age and spreading the message of liberty. She's got a bright future ahead of her!
    "Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"20-something" is spin. She is young, 25, but that is the same type of lame attack used against 27 year old Sen. Eric Brakey when he ran two years ago, who, as an aspiring actor in NYC, had even less established "life experience"
    Running the the state leg and US House are worlds apart.

Continuing, we have Rebekah's current position as Director of The Coalition to Reduce Spending, which has given her a heap of experience on how things actually work in government. Add the fact that she earned a master’s degree in political science/public administration (from University of West Florida,) and you have a local girl with skills and the building blocks of a compelling story.
    None of that really means anything to the average voter.

I mean hell, you didn't even know she grew up and lives there...
    Actually I do know she grew up there, but it is my understanding they have been living in DC for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic