Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to get freeze-dried food?

Where to get freeze-dried food?

In doing a bit of research on stocking up for survival, many of the websites indicate that freeze-dried food is the best due to long shelf life and relatively easy re-constitution - just add water.

Anyone here stocked up on freeze-dried, and where did you obtain it? Buying from a sporting goods store at retail prices is a very expensive proposition. Hoping for a good online option.

Looking for the best bang/buck out there (good taste and low price).

Thanks

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe http://www.efoodsdirect.com/ - although there products are hardly cheap.

I just stocked up on non-perishables at Costco.

"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minutes conversation with the average voter." --Winston Churchill

What is a good place to order survival supplies of all types from? I'm pretty new at this.

Mountain House is pretty good. Haven't tasted it yet, but I was happy with my purchase and felt prices were fair.

Mountain House is what I have purchased also.

Here is a good site that carries Mountain House and others:

http://www.ldpcampingfoods.com/
    " Let it not be said that we did nothing." -- Ron Paul

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." -- Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by The Grinning Maniac View Post
    What is a good place to order survival supplies of all types from? I'm pretty new at this.
    I ordered an emergency kit from http://beprepared.com/

I wasn't that impressed...I probably could've put a better kit together for cheaper in one trip to Walmart. At least I was able to find a promo code that gave me free shipping.

"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minutes conversation with the average voter." --Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by dsentell View Post
    Mountain House is what I have purchased also.

Here is a good site that carries Mountain House and others:

http://www.ldpcampingfoods.com/
    Those Mountain House #10 cans seem deceiving to me.

They contain (10) 1 cup servings that are 240 calories each.. That means one can has only 2400 calories, which I could eat in a day (not that I would in an emergency situation, but still..)

So it's really $30 for 2400 calories?!

http://www.survivalstore.com/30158.html

If that's true, why not buy the 900 calorie packets for $7 or $8 each in the store?? The answer is because you can't find enough anywhere.. My roomate even tried calling Mountain House a while back to buy a few hundred of their packets at bulk discount, and they wouldn't sell them to him because he wasn't a retail outlet... but even at full retail price that's like $20-$25 for 2400 calories, which is cheaper than the damn #10 tins!!
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by gls View Post
    Maybe http://www.efoodsdirect.com/ - although there products are hardly cheap.

I just stocked up on non-perishables at Costco.
    I ordered a case of their freeze-dried stuff.

It's decent, and you will eat it if you need to, but I certainly never get any late night urge to cook up a batch of the "lasagna".
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Take a look at this package.
    http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_inf...79761e384d0622

Last January, it was $2,789.00
    And now it is $3,375.00

This means the price has gone up 21% since January.
    What will it do in the next 6 months?

I don't recommend freeze dried... it is very expensive when compaired to the basic food stuff you need.

Here is a food storage calculator to help calculate what you need for survival.
    http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.htm

The one thing not on this calculator is vitamins. You will want to suppliment your food to keep healthy. Especially Vitamin C and D.

Here the location of a list of lists from many sources about survival.
    http://www.captaindaves.com/dl-list/dl1-toc.htm

You may want to see my survival web site and check out the food link.
    http://briscoefamily.com/emergency/food.php
    http://briscoefamily.com/emergency/72hour.php
    http://briscoefamily.com/emergency/longterm.php
    Teach Them Correct Principles... Then Let Them Govern Themselves.

On a related note, does anyone have a visual reference for can/ package sizes. I've seen some sites list products being in a "#2.5 can" or "#10 can". What are the measurments of these cans? Pictures would be great.
    "I'm thinkin' we'll rise again"

Quote Originally Posted by Thrashertm View Post
    In doing a bit of research on stocking up for survival, many of the websites indicate that freeze-dried food is the best due to long shelf life and relatively easy re-constitution - just add water.

Anyone here stocked up on freeze-dried, and where did you obtain it? Buying from a sporting goods store at retail prices is a very expensive proposition. Hoping for a good online option.

Looking for the best bang/buck out there (good taste and low price).

Thanks
    from stop & shop. it's 2 min from my house

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzDad View Post
    On a related note, does anyone have a visual reference for can/ package sizes. I've seen some sites list products being in a "#2.5 can" or "#10 can". What are the measurments of these cans? Pictures would be great.
    Don't have the measurements, but maybe this will help a little.

Yep, very helpful, thanks.
    "I'm thinkin' we'll rise again"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzDad View Post
    I got out a measuring tape and measured one of the #10 cans.
    Here is what I got:

Diameter = 6 inches.
    Height = 7 inches.

That is just slightly smaller than a standard one gallon paint can.

bump
    Last edited by rwbris18; 10-10-2008 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rwbris18 View Post
    I don't recommend freeze dried... it is very expensive when compaired to the basic food stuff you need.
    Very nice post, rwbris18. Thanks much!

Hypothetical noob question: #10 cans can store a lot of food...several meals worth for the whole family that is, especially if you want to eat more than one type of food at once (and your entire meal isn't coming from just one can). After you open a #10 can of corn, green beans, etc., how are you supposed to store the rest of the food you don't immediately eat?

If you have one of those military surplus stores around you can probably get MRE's (meals ready to eat) ..that's what we had to eat in the field when I was in the Army. I am getting a lot of dried beans and rice..those last 30 years. tones (buy non hybrid seeds too)

The Mormans have a website on how to store food and rotate canned foods...and charts on how to keep them and how long they last. The Mormans have been storing food for years...tones

Nitro-Pak is great. They used to focus more on hurricane or camping emergencies, but they've been supplying more and more long-term disaster-preparedness kits lately including MRE's.

i have bought some stuff from both beprepared.com and also mredepot.com I cant tell you how stuff tastes other than i did open a packet of the mountainhouse blueberry granola; just to taste one since i also bought some #10 cans; the granola is fantastic! I also bought butter from mredepot and opened 1 can to try; its great!

yes these things freezedried/dehydrated are expensive but with anywhere from a
    5 to 30 year shelf life they sit for the day when there is NO food in the grocery isle!

I have also been stocking up on regular canned food from the grocery store. chili, beefaronies, tuna, canned ham, vegs etc.... regular canned food will last up to 1-2 years. everytime i go shopping whatever is on sale i pick up extra to just sit on the shelf.

also i sometime order food supplements from vitacost.com they have some mountainhouse products and their shipping is only $5.00 no matter how much you order; so stock up. I also buy my emerald balance and x balance powder from vitacost as well. Also the raw organic food bars are great too; bought some for storing; but they tasted so good my kid ate them all and now im out! You must try their chocolate coconut bars; damn their good

I just read on mike adams naturalnews.com that the 4 best food supplements are: 1. bee pollen, 2. spirulina 3. chorella 4. alfalfa
    so ill be ordering some of these also to keep on hand for shtf scenarios

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
    Hypothetical noob question: #10 cans can store a lot of food...several meals worth for the whole family that is, especially if you want to eat more than one type of food at once (and your entire meal isn't coming from just one can). After you open a #10 can of corn, green beans, etc., how are you supposed to store the rest of the food you don't immediately eat?
    There are lids made to put on the cans. I can't remember where I ordered them from right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
    The food I bought, came with plastic lids. After you open the can and use what you need, just put the plastic lid on. It's sort of like using canned coffee. Just keep it dry and you shouldn't have a problem with it going bad as long as you use it up in the alloted time the label says to use it in after opening.

Just one more thought on freeze dried food... be sure you have plenty of water.

i also ordered a 55 gallon drum for water storage w/syphon hose from beprepared.com

How about you make your own?

I got a dehydrator for $10, unused, from the Salvation Army. It's fantastic because I feel less wary about buying fresh produce (I'm kind of a spaz about not wasting things). It's especially good for spinach-I now make spinach flakes and use them in soup, mashed potatoes--anything. I'm working on swiss chard, as it's supposed to be the most nutritious vegetable out there. I have dried mushrooms, carrots, various fruits, herbs, celery, tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc. etc.

I'm sure it won't have the shelf-life of store-bought professional dehydrated goods, but it is convenient, cost-effective and easy. Plus, I had to stop buying canned stuff due to storage limitations. This is lighter, smaller and easier to store. Plus, I hate canned vegetables. Bleh.

I store dried things in a vacuumed (I put a straw adaptor on a vacuum) ziploc bag, then pack in an airtight container with desiccant. So far, so good.

im waiting on a sun oven, im sure i can dry things with it also as well as cook.

this will be new for me, baking bread, grinding wheat, etc.... wish me luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast