Thread: US Navy back then

US Navy back then

NAVAL HISTORY, USS Constitution

The U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides), as a combat vessel, carried 48,600 gallons of fresh water for her crew of 475 officers and men. This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (i.e. fresh water distillers). However, let it be noted that according to her ship's log, "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S. Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475 officers and men,
    48,600 gallons of fresh water,
    7,400 cannon shot,
    11,600 pounds of black powder and
    79,400 gallons of rum."
    Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping."

Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum. Then she headed for the Azores , arriving there 12 November. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine. On 18 November, she set sail for England .
    In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-warships,and captured and scuttled 12 English merchant ships,salvaging only the rum aboard each.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted.
    Nevertheless, although unarmed she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland .. Her landing party captured a whisky distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard by dawn. Then she headed home.

The U. S. S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February 1799,
    with no cannon shot,
    no food,
    no powder,
    no rum,
    no wine,
    no whisky,
    and 38,600 gallons of water.

GO NAVY!
    Last edited by tod evans; 08-14-2017 at 06:15 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think the math is wrong or the story exaggerated. Each person on board would have had to consume over 2.5 gallons of liquor each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I think the math is wrong or the story exaggerated. Each person on board would have had to consume over 2.5 gallons of liquor each day.
    Days were longer back then.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Liquor was the same as currency in those days .

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    And the tales were taller.

Men were made of sterner stuff then...they were, in fact, drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That thing carried 55 Marines , a 36' longboat , two 30' Cutters , two 28' Whaleboats , a 28' Gig , a 22' Jolly and a 14' Punt .

If you're ever stuck with a long lay over on the east coast, look me up.

I'll take you boating for the day.

If you're ever stuck with a long lay over on the east coast, look me up.

I'll take you boating for the day.
    I can't swim, but I bet you already knew that..
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    We used to sing that song in my Air Force fighter squadron....but we said, " throw him in the brig with the captains daughter."
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Oh if I could have just picked up a half dozen of those things back then I could have conquered the world . I would have been Great Chief of The Americas and there would be free markets .
    Last edited by oyarde; 08-14-2017 at 10:13 PM.

We used to sing that song in my Air Force fighter squadron....but we said, " throw him in the brig with the captains daughter."
    I've diddled a Vice-Admirals daughter on a ski trip to Sapporo. My friend was her daddy's driver and set the thing up. He liked her friend.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I've diddled a Vice-Admirals daughter on a ski trip to Sapporo. My friend was her daddy's driver and set the thing up. He liked her friend.

Terrible, take your debauchery somewhere else.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Oh if I could have just picked up a half dozen of those things back then I could have conquered the world .
    What, you and 38 other savages?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hand picked crews , I would only need a few Indians for Marines , ohh 55 or so ought to be enough . Would have to improve the food on board though .

That's as it should be!

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    That's as it should be!
    My search fu is weak, but I recall in the book "John Adams", when he traveled to France took thirty barrels of hard cider in his supplies.

Which I have become very fond of BTW, hard cider, very traditional, very New England.

That and it's evil twin brother, ice cider, which uses freeze distillation to concoct a potion that will knock you on your ass.

I can't swim, but I bet you already knew that..
    I'd be happy to teach you...

I am getting old , while I was mowing today I could not even think of a sure fire way for me to capitalize on the US invading Venezuela .

My search fu is weak, but I recall in the book "John Adams", when he traveled to France took thirty barrels of hard cider in his supplies.
    I love that stuff , we just made it in 5 gallon buckets on the farm when I was a kid with all the crappy apples that were not nice enough to sell .

I'd be happy to teach you...
    I'll pass.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We have this parked out front. Along with the Kennedy, the Lionfish ( sub), a Russian something or other, and some PT boats. Not sure on their rum or Madeira capacities.

Back when Navy captains carried a chest of gold to engage in fair commerce with the locals at foreign ports to resupply.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance