Thread: 3 Swimmers Get Shark Bites At New Smyrna Beach

3 Swimmers Get Shark Bites At New Smyrna Beach

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/thr...D=ansmsnnews11
    Three people suffered shark bites in less than three hours Sunday in the same area of New Smyrna Beach in Florida, authorities said.
    @Anti Federalist - what happens when the government bans bait fishing close to shore?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

@Anti Federalist - what happens when the government bans bait fishing close to shore?
    Well they are obviously exploratory bites.. Can't really say why. Wrong place, wrong time.

Normally increases of shark bites have something to do with an increase in sea-lions or seals in the area, which are prime targets for large sharks, I googled and that location does not have any.. The only thing that was mentioned was that the water was a bit murky, which makes it hard for a shark to exactly determine what kind of prey it's attacking. They will detect prey from a long distance by smell, then a bit closer by sight and possibly by sensing the electric field to zero in with their bite.

I'd say, wrong place, wrong time.. I'd also say that it's likely the same shark that bit all three. Which is a bad thing because after several failed exploratory bites when still tasting blood, the next person might be devoured. Sharks aren't stupid. Even though humans aren't their ideal meal, they definitely recognize there's protein and fat around those bones.

That sort of stuff is said to work well in repelling shark attacks. They don't like sea snakes.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 09-20-2016 at 10:04 AM.
    "I am a bird"

It's not a random occurrence that the increase in shark attacks coincide with bans not only on bait fishing, but bans on fishing in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    It's not a random occurrence that the increase in shark attacks coincide with bans not only on bait fishing, but bans on fishing in general.
    Could you explain the mechanism behind that ? I'm interested. I'm not seeing it but I'm very willing to understand.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Could you explain the mechanism behind that ? I'm interested. I'm not seeing it but I'm very willing to understand.

When little fish are present, bigger fish come in to feed. When bigger fish are present, sharks come in to feed.

(Florida does not have seals or sea lions.)

When little fish are present, bigger fish come in to feed. When bigger fish are present, sharks come in to feed.
    Well I get that but why are there more baitfish around when there's a fishing ban ?
    "I am a bird"

Three swimmers gets bitten in 3 hrs and you really think it has something to do with govt banning bait fishing in the area. I find it hard to believe that a change in one variable out of God knows how many was strong enough to cause 10000%+ increase? in shark bites?

I barely have any knowledge about sharks or bait fishing but I don't believe it the bites are related to the rule change. Now if this continues to happen while the law is in place and all of a sudden drops off after it is reversed, then and until then will believe the link

Well I get that but why are there more baitfish around when there's a fishing ban ?
    They ban baitfishing as well.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well any kind of fishing, doesn't matter. My question still stands.

I fail to see how not fishing in an area would increase sharks aggressiveness towards humans or the likelihood of an attack. It seems to me that any kind of fishing would increase a sharks interest, be it blood and smell from bait or the struggle from a fish on a line. I don't understand why there would be more interest from a shark when there are just people swimming/surfing.
    "I am a bird"

"Give me $14 trillion and your civil liberties and we'll do something about this menace!" - US Gov.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I fail to see how not fishing in an area would increase sharks aggressiveness towards humans or the likelihood of an attack. It seems to me that any kind of fishing would increase a sharks interest, be it blood and smell from bait or the struggle from a fish on a line. I don't understand why there would be more interest from a shark when there are just people swimming/surfing.
    I do not know about globally, but in Florida it is, according to my husband, the ban on net fishing which leads to an increase in the mullet and mullet-sized fish populations. Bigger populations of those fish bring in bigger populations of bigger fish, and that in turn brings in bigger shark populations.

The bigger the shark population the more likely one will bite a human.

You know the South African govt banned throwing chum in the water near the shores and that decreased the incident of shark sightings near the beach. I think anything to keep the sharks from coming to the area is good for reducing shark bites. The 3 shark bites in 3 hrs should not be seen as a trend, you have to watch and see how the trend goes in 6 months, 1 year, 5 yrs .... to see the true nature of the outcome.

I do not know about globally, but in Florida it is, according to my husband, the ban on net fishing which leads to an increase in the mullet and mullet-sized fish populations. Bigger populations of those fish bring in bigger populations of bigger fish, and that in turn brings in bigger shark populations.

The bigger the shark population the more likely one will bite a human.
    Well that surely makes sense.

But that brings up another slightly unrelated question.

Three actually.

1) Have fish stocks dramatically decreased from 100y ago or so?
    2) Do marine reserves work to increase fish stocks ?
    3) Should we have marine reserves to increase fish stocks for the future so we can harvest more or should we continue as we're doing right now ?

Actually the question here, is it in fact bad that there are more fish ?
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 09-20-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    You know the South African govt banned throwing chum in the water near the shores and that decreased the incident of shark sightings near the beach. I think anything to keep the sharks from coming to the area is good for reducing shark bites. The 3 shark bites in 3 hrs should not be seen as a trend, you have to watch and see how the trend goes in 6 months, 1 year, 5 yrs .... to see the true nature of the outcome.
    I think you would have to be a moron to think it's a good idea to chum where people swim. But there are/were indeed places that did it for touristy shows.

Well that surely makes sense.

But that brings up another slightly unrelated question.

Three actually.

1) Have fish stocks dramatically decreased from 100y ago or so?
    2) Do marine reserves work to increase fish stocks ?
    3) Should we have marine reserves to increase fish stocks for the future so we can harvest more or should we continue as we're doing right now ?

Actually the question here, is it in fact bad that there are more fish ?
    The question is actually - is it bad that the government owns the water instead of privatizing it all?

Researchers Believe Climate Change Lead to an Increase of Shark Attacks

https://weather.com/news/climate/new...an-temperature
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The question is actually - is it bad that the government owns the water instead of privatizing it all?
    I don't know. And the government only owns a portion of the oceans. Most of it is international waters. Now if it were privatized, would people put a net around their property to keep their fish in ? That would cause serious havoc with migrations and breeding grounds... Or would people dredge their part of the ocean for the last available fish, since if it swims away, someone else will catch it. I think it's an interesting discussion though.
    "I am a bird"

Maybe they can invent an anti-shark vaccine?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Maybe they can invent an anti-shark vaccine?
    Sharks don't eat autistic kids?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Why don't you apply for a research grant ?
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Didn't eat these folk.
    Only tasted them. not what they wanted.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Why don't you apply for a research grant ?
    Well , Danke will need a real researcher ( me ) on this team , what should I ask for in salary if I am going to work two days a week ?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Well , Danke will need a real researcher ( me ) on this team , what should I ask for in salary if I am going to work two days a week ?
    All the fish you can catch?