Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ex-Marine gunned down by SWAT team

Ex-Marine gunned down by SWAT team

This is truly vile & disgusting. Read the whole story. It's infuriating.
    Can anyone seriously claim we are not living in a murderous police state?

SWAT team fired 71 shots in raid [archive link: https://archive.ph/lknZY]:

The Pima County Regional SWAT team fired 71 shots in seven seconds at a Tucson man they say pointed a gun at officers serving a search warrant at his home.

Jose Guerena, 26, a former Marine who served in Iraq twice, was holding an AR-15 rifle when he was killed, but he never fired a shot, the Sheriff's Department said Monday after initially saying he had fired on officers during last week's raid.

Six days after Guerena was shot, few details about the investigation that brought the SWAT team to the southwest-side home Guerena shared with his wife and their two young sons are known.
    William Grigg comments on this story at LewRockwell.com.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 01-18-2023 at 10:27 PM. Reason: refreshed links
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    This is truly vile & disgusting. Read the whole story. It's infuriating.
    As infuriating as it is, lying and covering up are as automatic as breathing for most people. Ask a 4 year old if they ate a cookie they weren't supposed to. If they lie, they are future management material. No doubt it was someone higher up that immediately released a story that he fired on the Police.

Oh well, another mundane shot in his home in front of his family. Unless you are Osama Bin Laden, no ones cares.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Ah, I accidentally started another thread about this story. Wish I'd known about this thread before. /facepalm @ self. Yeah, it's a sad and disgusting thing those cops did. The place where that happened is only about 30-60 minutes south of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Let's play count the lies!

Here's number 1.
    initially saying he had fired on officers
    And 2.
    The department says SWAT members were clear when identifying themselves while entering the home.
    And 3.
    Lt. Michael O'Connor of the Pima County Sheriff's Department. "We went lights and sirens and we absolutely did not do a 'no-knock' warrant."
    And 4.
    "The suspect said, 'I've got something for you,' when he saw them," O'Connor said. Guerena's wife denied he said that.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

ugh

This is a small price to pay to keep drugs out of the hands of children - including the children who just had their father murdered in front of them.

Oh, and just a reminder, this is the SWAT team under the control of Sheriff Dupnik, recently famous as the Sheriff who blamed the shooting of Gabby Giffords on anti-government rhetoric.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Oh well, another mundane shot in his home in front of his family. Unless you are Osama Bin Laden, no ones cares.
    The point you make is as horrifying & sad as it is true - which is "very."

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."

Let's play count the lies!

And 4.

"The suspect said, 'I've got something for you,' when he saw them," O'Connor said. Guerena's wife denied he said that
    They will just stop leaving live witnesses.

Expect it.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Deputies said they seized a "large sum of money from another house" that morning. But they refused to say from which of the homes searched that morning they found narcotics, drug ledgers or drug paraphernalia. Court documents showing what was being sought and was found have not been made public. A computer check on Guerena revealed a couple of traffic tickets and no criminal history.
    Nice to see we live in an age of open, honest government.

How much does anyone want to bet that this turns out to be ANOTHER "oops, wrong house" scenario??

Guerena was a Tucson native and Flowing Wells High School graduate. He joined the U.S. Marines in 2002. He served two tours in Iraq in 2003 and 2005 as part of the Yuma-based MWSS-173 under direct supervision of Master Sgt. Leo Verdugo.

Verdugo was with Guerena's family Tuesday afternoon. He gave them a Marine Corps jacket and gloves to use at Guerena's burial.

"He was an excellent Marine, with a bright future ahead of him," Verdugo said.

"We had just bought a home and he was working graveyard shifts and overtime just to help pay the bills, we were just starting to make this house our home," Vanessa Guerena said.
    Yep.

Sure sounds like a drug dealer. Everyone knows those nasty dope dealers bust their asses working 12 hour shifts in mines, because of course that's where the real money is.

The cops in this case aren't just idiots. They're murderers. If there was any justice left in the world, everyone who fired a shot in this case would be doing prison time.

I'm not going to hold my breath.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    They will just stop leaving live witnesses.
    No doubt. They will double-tap Fido too, in case he's one of those talking dogs they show on YouTube.

There are only two scenarios where the Police could be telling the truth about using sirens and announcing themselves:

1) Suicide by cop - No way. The guy was asleep, and the contact was initiated by the Police in the first place.
    2) Wanted to fight the Police to the death - No way. He didn't fire a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    The place where that happened is only about 30-60 minutes south of me.
    Yikes! But given how this sort of thing seems to be happening more often, all around the country, I don't suppose you're in any greater danger than the rest of us are.

At least a dog was the only fatality in my own hometown's most (in)famous example of jack-booted thuggery.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 05-11-2011 at 05:00 PM.

-- The Law (p. 54)
      -- Government (p. 99)

There are only two scenarios where the Police could be telling the truth about using sirens and announcing themselves:

1) Suicide by cop - No way. The guy was asleep, and the contact was initiated by the Police in the first place.
    2) Wanted to fight the Police to the death - No way. He didn't fire a shot.

I think all the evidence clearly points to (yet another) law enforcement ****up in which they've very likely targeted the wrong house.

Now that someone's dead, it's going to be CYA time and they'll do their very best to smear the integrity of the victim. Otherwise it would be their own jobs - and asses - on the line, and of course that isn't acceptable.

To me, the common sense of this is inescapable:

* If the guy had been a big time drug dealer making lots of cash, why in hell would he be working 12 hour shifts in a mine? That's damn hard work.

* It clearly was NOT a "lights and sirens" raid - see Brian4Liberty's above post.

* The Sheriff's Dept. admits the deputies were IN the house when they shot Guerena. I find it very hard to believe that a Marine with two tours of duty in Iraq would not get off a single shot when guys are coming through is door. I'm guessing he realized at the last second that the intruders were law enforcement and he held his fire. If he had truly meant to fire on the officers, at least one or two would be dead.

These cops deserve nothing less than execution. This is flat-out MURDER.

This gentleman was no less a Marine the day he died than he was while on active duty. There is no such thing as an ex Marine, except maybe for actual treason. (against the Constitution, that is)
    Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 05-11-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Yikes! But given how this sort of thing seems to be happening more often, all around the country, I don't suppose you're in any greater danger than the rest of us are.

At least a dog was the only fatality in my own hometown's most (in)famous example of jack-booted thuggery.
    I dunno about that. Phoenix PD are pretty well known for their brutality. http://tucsoncitizen.com/three-sonor...hocking-video/
    They've even been the stars of the show "Cops" a few times.
    This murder was just reported today: http://www.kpho.com/news/25391310/detail.html
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Oh well, another mundane shot in his home in front of his family. Unless you are Osama Bin Laden, no ones cares.[/QUOTE]

You put too much faith in the media. People care.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

btw, I watched that vid. It's $#@!ing outrageous and tragic at the same time.

People - remember that this is Pima County - and who is the sheriff?

Heightened and "vitriolic" political rhetoric is being blamed by some for the kind of violence that landed Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in intensive care following a mass casualty shooting on Saturday, but others say a blame game is hardly appropriate or useful right now.
    Pima County, Ariz., Sheriff Clarence Dupnik sparked much of the debate during a press conference Saturday evening in which he blamed talk radio and television for a decline in America.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

You see... this is why no knock warrants should be illegal. The man has a right to defend himself. What if he didn't have time to call 911 when some thugs burst through the door? He only had time to grab a rifle to defend his family with. Not everyone has ADT automated cellular security systems.... Are they going to mandate that we all have ADT cellular systems now?
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Can anyone seriously claim we are not living in a murderous police state?
    Getting way too routine, the shock value is gone.
    What can we do?
    Are there any groups, or people, trying to sue the local and state Governments, to possibly "fight back" financially?
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

When on earth are people going to start demanding accountability for these murders?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
    When on earth are people going to start demanding accountability for these murders?!?
    I read the article earlier today, and I really don't understand the wife's comment that she "just wants answers about why it happened." I'd be looking for a hell of a lot more than answers, and they wouldn't have one good enough anyways.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

when it gets too bad to ignore. Kinda like the debt crisis. Joe Average in his McMansion didn't give a $#@! till the collapse.

So is it going to take the 1960's all over again? I am sure that there are more than enough to march the streets like they did... even more!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    So is it going to take the 1960's all over again? I am sure that there are more than enough to march the streets like they did... even more!
    Especially considering a LOT of folks are unemployed/underemployed now.

RIP innocent victims:
    Anyone know about cases where the families are suing the town and state for large amounts?
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Incredible.

I'm not sure fighting back financially does much.

Makes me sad to think about it, but I don't think things have been pushed nearly far enough to get a real reaction to this kind of thing. I really feel like things are going to have to be pushed so far that neighbors are willing to put their butts on the line for each other. Right now Americans have too much to lose so fighting back isn't worth it. When the cops have to call in the military to shutdown multiple city blocks at a time just so they can knock down a door without getting shot in the back from across the street, then we might get the proper political action to put an end to the mess.
    Last edited by ivflight; 05-12-2011 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ivflight View Post
    I'm not sure fighting back financially does much.

Makes me sad to think about it, but I don't think things have been pushed nearly far enough to get a real reaction to this kind of thing. I really feel like things are going to have to be pushed so far that neighbors are willing to put their butts on the line for each other. Right now Americans have too much to lose so fighting back isn't worth it. When the cops have to call in the military to shutdown multiple city blocks at a time just so they can knock down a door without getting shot in the back from across the street, then we might get the proper political action to put an end to the mess.

How many people did they have in the 60's? My guess is that they didn't have near the political foot print which we have today!

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    How many people did they have in the 60's? My guess is that they didn't have near the political foot print which we have today!
    How many did who have?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast