Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sir Groucho de Marx

Sir Groucho de Marx

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.” -- Groucho Marx

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member" ~Groucho Marx
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

"POLITICS is the OTHER opiate of the people." -- Groucho Marx

(OK, I just made that one up, with apologies to both Karl and Groucho)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.” -- Groucho Marx
    Misattributed: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Grouch...#Misattributed

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies.
    • Apparently attributed to Marx in Bennett Cerf's Try and Stop Me, first published in 1944. A citation of this can been seen in the Kentucky New Era on November 9, 1964. Also attributed to Marx by Rand Paul in "The Long Stand," ch. 1 of Taking a Stand: Moving Beyond Partisan Politics to Unite America (New York, N. Y.: Center Street, 26 May 2015), p. 5.
    • The original quotation ("Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy.") belongs to Sir Ernest Benn; a first known citation reportedly appears in the Springfield (MA) Republican on July 27, 1930.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I've seen it both ways. It still works. <shrug>
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 06-18-2015 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
    Groucho Marx

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
    Groucho Marx

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Must...spread...reputation

This is one of my favorite movies, and the single greatest movie ever made about Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
    Amash>Trump

ΟΥ ΓΑΡ ЄCΤΙΝ ЄξΟΥCΙΑ ЄΙ ΜΗ ΥΠΟ ΘЄΟΥ

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

"Trump is the security blanket of aggrieved white men aged 18-60." - Pinoy

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    Groucho Marx

But not through foppishness, for were that so the odds would pretty well guarantee that once in a blue moon we would see a result with which we were pleased and that was actually beneficial to the rights and liberties of people.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    But not through foppishness, for were that so the odds would pretty well guarantee that once in a blue moon we would see a result with which we were pleased and that was actually beneficial to the rights and liberties of people.
    Even a blind pig can manage to turn up a truffle, once in a while.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
    Groucho Marx

Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot.
    Groucho Marx

I intend to live forever, or die trying.
    Groucho Marx

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
    Groucho Marx

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.
    Groucho Marx

Before I speak, I have something important to say.
    Groucho Marx

It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
    Groucho Marx

I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it.
    Groucho Marx

I intend to live forever, or die trying.
    Groucho Marx
    Amash>Trump

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel Poet View Post
    Julius Henry "Groucho" Marx (October 2, 1890 – August 19, 1977)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groucho_Marx

Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?
    Groucho Marx

The great thing about the Marx Brothers to me is that extra level Chico and Groucho rise to. Groucho starts out acting as straight man, and sets up Chico. Chico delivers the punch line. Now, if Stan Laurel or Lou Costello delivers a punch line, that's it. But after Chico delivers his punch line, Groucho makes a sarcastic comment on it which is funnier than the punch line.

Not that Harpo wasn't a great thing about the Marx Brothers too.

Last edited by acptulsa; 06-30-2015 at 09:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Oh, I see, then it was murder. Will you marry me? Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first."
    Amash>Trump

Getting older is no problem. You just have to live long enough.
    Groucho Marx

"Women should be obscene and not heard." -- Groucho Marx

"Go, and never darken my towels again." -- Groucho Marx

Are you a Marxist, RT?
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

And why is this under New York?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast