Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1143

Thread: LADIES LOUNGE: Frugal finds, decorating, fun fashion, beauty and thrifting hauls.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I guess. Is that accurate? I've never done it before.
    I've done it, but I'm a man and our painter chick said that most men are pretty much color blind as far as she is concerned. so maybe start with a small area.
    Or get a more manly man such as @phill4paul in here and ask him; I bet he'd know.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I've done it, but I'm a man and our painter chick said that most men are pretty much color blind as far as she is concerned. so maybe start with a small area.
    Or get a more manly man such as @phill4paul in here and ask him; I bet he'd know.
    I think I'm going to give it a shot. I'm pretty sure the finish will be a little different because I'm going with a different paint brand but it should be close enough that Mr Animal doesn't have to cut in real close around the ceiling in the stairway. That's really the only thing that bothers me about changing the paint color. It's so high up, I doubt anyone would notice a small difference in sheen anyway.

I found a spot in a closet in the spare room that I'm going whittle off a chunk of paint so I can get a true match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I was out running errands today and decided to stop in 5 Below. I love that place. It's full of all kinds of quirky stuff.

Here's what I found on this trip...

A very cool light. Yeah, it's plastic and battery operated but you don't really notice unless you take a close look at it (they also had one with a gold base that was tacky - it really looked fake) and it was only 4.00. My son took it to his room to use as a nightlight. He doesn't like light in the room when he's sleeping so no plug in nightlights and this looks better than the flashlight he has hanging from his headboard. He just likes a little light to see down the hall when he goes to the bathroom.

I also bought two "mermaid" pillows for our sofa. I fell in love with them. The sequins flip over when you brush your hand against them. I thought they looked cute next to the faux fur pillows on my sofa but Mr Animal thinks they're all awful. He says the fur pillows look like I skinned the neighbors dogs and paired with the sequins, he said it looks like a disco sofa.

Here's the pillow normal...

and when you brush your finger on it...

They're so much fun, I couldn't quit fiddling with them.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Banner day!!! Does anyone have an Ollies Army near their house? Well, I have one that's not too far and finally went in. I have a friend who has the most beautiful planters and she told me that's where she gets them. Anyway, I saw they had them in their flyer and decided to check them out. I scored! I also got some nice hummingbird feeders for 14.99 each. They're glass bottles and they have a perch. I like the one's with a perch.

These are all heavy planters - no plastic crap. Please excuse my patio it's kinda dirty right now. I don't even want to know what these would cost at Lowes or Pikes. I bought a plastic one at Lowes about the size of the one in the last pic and it was 50.00.

These two were 12.99 each.

This one was 17.00

This one was 20.00

Then I went to the thrift store and scored again. BTW, Sunday is the best day to go to get the 1/2 color at Goodwill. They change their colors every Sunday at my store, anyway.

I got some beautiful napkin rings and a bunch of very pretty cloth napkins. I love cloth napkins and they're actually quite expensive. I got two different sets of glasses. One set looks very similar to a set I've been eyeing at Kohls for 40.00 - I got mine for 3.00. Yay! And the other set matches a set of bar glasses I got at the thrift store a few months ago. I also scored some very nice decorative towels. Those things are pricey new but you can find them at the thrift store in like new condition for a 1.00. People get rid of them when they change their decor, I guess. I also scored a cute pie dish (see pic) for 3.00. I buy those all year and give them out with pies in them for the holidays. People seem to like getting them and it's not an expensive gift. I saw a beautiful Fitz & Floyd Christmas platter but I didn't buy it because it was 8.00 and that color is going half price next week. I plan on being there at opening time to grab that beauty. At 8.00, it's a steal but it's been there a few weeks and I don't think it's going to move for that price. Here's the exact same platter at Wayfair for 42.00. I'll give that to someone with some of Granny Bernice's sour cream cutout cookies. I got a few other nice thing but what I'm really most excited about is my T-rex. I got him for 3.00 and plan on turning him into a planter. My kids think it's going to be the tackiest thing ever but I think it'll be quirky. I like that kind of stuff. Anyway, I haven't decided what color I'm going to paint him but I plan on sitting him next to my front door.

My cute pie dish. It says, Isn't this a dainty dish set before a king? from Sing a Song of Sixpence on the lid.

My t-rex. He's a big one. He comes up to my knees.

Here's what I plan on doing with him. Any color suggestions? My front door is red, my shutters are black, and my house is stacked stone and tan. I have a covered front porch with a swing on the end and two red Adirondack chairs on it. I also have hanging ferns but I keep killing them.

Banner day!!! Does anyone have an Ollies Army near their house? Well, I have one that's not too far and finally went in. I have a friend who has the most beautiful planters and she told me that's where she gets them. Anyway, I saw they had them in their flyer and decided to check them out. I scored! I also got some nice hummingbird feeders for 14.99 each. They're glass bottles and they have a perch. I like the one's with a perch.

These are all heavy planters - no plastic crap. Please excuse my patio it's kinda dirty right now. I don't even want to know what these would cost at Lowes or Pikes. I bought a plastic one at Lowes about the size of the one in the last pic and it was 50.00.

This one was 17.00

This one was 20.00

Then I went to the thrift store and scored again. BTW, Sunday is the best day to go to get the 1/2 color at Goodwill. They change their colors every Sunday at my store, anyway.

I got some beautiful napkin rings and a bunch of very pretty cloth napkins. I love cloth napkins and they're actually quite expensive. I got two different sets of glasses. One set looks very similar to a set I've been eyeing at Kohls for 40.00 - I got mine for 3.00. Yay! And the other set matches a set of bar glasses I got at the thrift store a few months ago. I also scored some very nice decorative towels. Those things are pricey new but you can find them at the thrift store in like new condition for a 1.00. People get rid of them when they change their decor, I guess. I also scored a cute pie dish (see pic) for 3.00. I buy those all year and give them out with pies in them for the holidays. People seem to like getting them and it's not an expensive gift. I saw a beautiful Fitz & Floyd Christmas platter but I didn't buy it because it was 8.00 and that color is going half price next week. I plan on being there at opening time to grab that beauty. At 8.00, it's a steal but it's been there a few weeks and I don't think it's going to move for that price. Here's the exact same platter at Wayfair for 42.00. I'll give that to someone with some of Granny Bernice's sour cream cutout cookies. I got a few other nice thing but what I'm really most excited about is my T-rex. I got him for 3.00 and plan on turning him into a planter. My kids think it's going to be the tackiest thing ever but I think it'll be quirky. I like that kind of stuff. Anyway, I haven't decided what color I'm going to paint him but I plan on sitting him next to my front door.

My cute pie dish. It says, Isn't this a dainty dish set before a king? from Sing a Song of Sixpence on the lid.

Here's what I plan on doing with him. Any color suggestions? My front door is red, my shutters are black, and my house is stacked stone and tan. I have a covered front porch with a swing on the end and two red Adirondack chairs on it. I also have hanging ferns but I keep killing them.

I need a T Rex like that .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I need a T Rex like that .
    Do you think standing him next to my front door will scare away Danke's ghosts and Jehovah's Witnesses?

Do you think standing him next to my front door will scare away Danke's ghosts and Jehovah's Witnesses?
    Maybe you should get some extras to sell to the people who come to the door .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Maybe you should get some extras to sell to the people who come to the door .
    Mr Animal just got home and thought the t-rex planter sounded dumb. Just wait until he sees the plastic poop I bought as a bathroom decoration, I imagine he'll forget all about the front porch t-rex.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

This one was 17.00

This one was 20.00

Define those colors in hex code, plz. By themselves those colour words are so abstract I can't give you any advice based on them.(at least in this specific matter) ~hugs~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I don't mind buying at thrift stores. You can find some really good stuff at the ones in the high end part of town. Some of the clothes are practically untouched. Like somebody didn't like a shirt for Christmas. Then they never wore it. It's like getting it new.

I write down or can remember what I paid for things. I'll shop all over the place finding the place selling it the cheapest. The gas driving pays for itself. Quality is important too. Finding something that will last. Some of the stuff at flea markets is good wood and whatnot. Much better than even new plastic stuff. You just clean it up. Heck I'm not proud!

Quote Originally Posted by Statuesque of Liberty View Post
    I don't mind buying at thrift stores. You can find some really good stuff at the ones in the high end part of town. Some of the clothes are practically untouched. Like somebody didn't like a shirt for Christmas. Then they never wore it. It's like getting it new.

I write down or can remember what I paid for things. I'll shop all over the place finding the place selling it the cheapest. The gas driving pays for itself. Quality is important too. Finding something that will last. Some of the stuff at flea markets is good wood and whatnot. Much better than even new plastic stuff. You just clean it up. Heck I'm not proud!
    That depends. I usually will just work in my favorite store when I'm in the area. You're right about finding the best stuff in the higher end neighborhoods, though.

Welcome to the forums, SoL.

I want to put up an Easter tree but Mr Animal says it's a dumb idea. What do y'all think of Easter trees? I want something like this...

I make up cute little Easter goodie bags for my neices and nephews and thought putting them under a tree would be cute. I like the tree, tray, and bunny but I wouldn't do the blocks - that's where I would put my goody bags.

my mom did Easter trees all the time. You can put Styrofoam cups - upside down in the oven, really low and shrink them..watch them closely so they don't melt completely - let them cool then paint to make Easter hats. Add tiny flowers, ribbons.. glitter - great Easter tree decor.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    my mom did Easter trees all the time. You can put Styrofoam cups - upside down in the oven, really low and shrink them..watch them closely so they don't melt completely - let them cool then paint to make Easter hats. Add tiny flowers, ribbons.. glitter - great Easter tree decor.
    Aww, that sounds so cute. I went to Hobby Lobby and priced stems like the ones in the photo and those dang things are expensive. I decided I'm going to walk through the woods and just find a branch that works. I have a nice bucket and I found 2 brand new packs of glittery egg ornaments at the thrift store. Yay! I think the hats will be nice for something different on the tree.

Muh fancy new bathroom shelves. I'm not sure what to put on them. I'm not sure Mr A is going to like my giant T-Rex there but whatever...

Also, a super duper easy craft that turned out very well. Hell, these are my first and second attempts. The light switch was my first attempt but I'm going to redo it because I got a lot better on my second attempt - the outlet plate. These are the cheapo 1.00 covers from Lowes that I wanted to spruce up for my bathroom. I still need to put a coat of triple thick poly stuff on them but here are the photos. Here's how to do them. http://www.fiberartsy.com/diy-switch...h-alcohol-ink/

Warning: Do this in a well ventilated area and DO NOT sniff. I think I lost a few brain cells and I have a headache.

The switch plates look great with my rug - it looks pink in the pic but the main color is brown - I promise.

Went thrifting yesterday and got a nice painting. It's hard to tell but it's not a print and the frame is green stain, not green paint. Not sure where I'm going to hang it but it's really nice. I also got muh monkeys. The painting was 7.00 and the monkeys were 1.50.

I went to Kohls and had a bunch of Kohls cash and coupons and got everything in the pic for 25.00. The pants are capri's and very cute. I also got 2 tops and a pair of shoes.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I guess this qualifies as decorating. Thinking of selling these things if I can make more of them. I think they would make cute wall or door hangings for a girl's room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3330.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	470.7 KB 
ID:	5727

Very cute.

Out of the blue, Mr Animal told me I should start a cooking youtube show. I dunno where that came from but he seems to think I'd be good at it. o_O

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I guess this qualifies as decorating. Thinking of selling these things if I can make more of them. I think they would make cute wall or door hangings for a girl's room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3330.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	470.7 KB 
ID:	5727

Very cute.

Out of the blue, Mr Animal told me I should start a cooking youtube show. I dunno where that came from but he seems to think I'd be good at it. o_O

You should!

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Very cute.

I told my mom to start a cooking show and use my brother as a mascot but it never materialised.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    You should!
    I doubt anyone wants to watch me open a bag of sweet kale salad and mix it up, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Define those colors in hex code, plz. By themselves those colour words are so abstract I can't give you any advice based on them.(at least in this specific matter) ~hugs~
    I'm still waiting for those hex codes, @Suzanimal ....
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I'm still waiting for those hex codes, @Suzanimal ....

All the colors that display on your monitor are defined by graphic designers (and programmers too, I think) in hex code. The red in the youtube logo, for example, is called e62117. If you had pics for me I could measure the colour for you and give you the hex code.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 05-05-2017 at 06:17 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All the colors that display on your monitor are defined by graphic designers (and programmers too, I think) in hex code. The red in the youtube logo, for example, is called e62117.
    eblack
    ered
    etan

eblack
    ered
    etan

None of those are either hexi- or -decimal. Suzanimal fail. /disappoint in teh @Suzanimal
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 05-05-2017 at 07:36 PM.

None of those are either hexi- or -decimal. Suzanimal fail. /disappoint in teh @Suzanimal

I'm not good at math or computers. I don't understand hexi-decimal colors.

Pro designers use hexcode to describe colours because we need to be really specific when communicating with print shop and web people. A professional design program like Photoshop CS3 uses hexcode for everything. I like it a LOT myself because if I need to refer to a specific hue I can just type it in instead of trying to eyeball it in the palette.

here ya go Suz.. have a color party

http://www.pagetutor.com/common/bgcolors1536.html
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

So DW likes to tell a story about how when she was in kindergarten, every kid on their birthday got a birthday crown to wear around all day. She waited patiently all year while all the other kids got their crowns. Finally, her bday came around and her teacher was out and they had a substitute, she asked about her birthday crown and the substitute told her they weren't doing that and stop asking about it. long story short, she never got her bday crown and she has held a grudge for 30 odd years. I finally heard it enough that I set a reminder in my calendar to make her one this year. Gonna tell her she has to wear it all day, including out to dinner at the fancy restaurant or she can never tell that story ever again.

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast