Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CNN to host town hall with Gary Johnson on June 22nd at 9 PM Eastern

Weld said abortion is a "fundamental constitutional right". Just....wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Lol Gary said he isn't looking to make it easier to get guns.
    "we are keeping the IRS."

fantastic right?
    The most important element of a free society, where individual rights are held in the highest esteem, is the rejection of the initiation of violence.

RON PAUL

Hm, Weld also says the Constitution dictates same sex marriage.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    No one has their $#@! together this year... absolutely no one... not the good guys, not the bad guys, or anyone in between.
    He missed a few good opportunities. The Black Lives Matter question was a good opportunity to be a champion of individual liberties. He really needed to hammer the failed drug war. I wonder if they practiced any answers beforehand. It is still early in the campaign, so I hope they can use this a learning experience and prepare better for more questions.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What a hot mess. So many missed opportunities you can't even count them.

"The latest CNN poll has you at 9%" The answer should have been, "Well, you work for CNN, how about giving us 9% of your political coverage?!"

Just unorganized, twitchy, and unprepared. Many of those questions were lobs.

Still... Even with all the mess... Still leaps and bounds above both of the front runners.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Still leaps and bounds above both of the front runners.
    Interesting. I would've definitely agreed with that statement before last night. I'm not so sure now.

I'm not at all comfortable with these two as the de facto spokesmen for libertarianism to the American public over the next four and a half months.

I'm thinking that I would rather have watched Austin Peterson handle that town hall. As sound byte packaged as he is, he would have done much better controlling the message and being authoritative in his delivery (instead of meekly deferring questions like GJ did to Weld all night).

Quote Originally Posted by James Otis, Jr. View Post
    Interesting. I would've definitely agreed with that statement before last night. I'm not so sure now.

I'm not at all comfortable with these two as the de facto spokesmen for libertarianism to the American public over the next four and a half months.
    Neither am I. But STILL better than the other two frontrunners. (That should give you a sense of how bad the other two are.)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

That was like a 5/10 performance for Johnson at best, which is too bad because I told a few people who could be swayed to vote for him to watch the town hall... Hopefully they didn't think something along the lines of, "so that's what a Libertarian is? Guess I don't like libertarianism too much."

We expect people of all political affiliations to consider voting for freedom candidates, especially when their candidates aren't as good. When citizens vote not just on general political affiliation, but also on how good a candidate is, it prevents one political party from having too much power, because good candidates come and go. If there's ever a time for us not to vote LP, maybe this is it. But then again, the country needs a freedom fighter more than ever... What I will probably do is this: I'll see how Johnson does in the polls before voting day. If he is polling well enough to make a big statement, with 3rd party poll numbers of historic proportions, then I'll vote for Johnson to help make an impact. If by chance I get called by a pollster before election day, I'll tell them that I want Johnson to help with this cause. If Johnson isn't polling well enough to make an impact before voting day however, then I'll vote for Darrell Castle (unless I find a big issue with Castle while researching him, in which case I'll write in Rand Paul).

Quote Originally Posted by James Otis, Jr. View Post

The next four years if they gets a lot of votes.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I watched parts of it. Meh.

They could have said and done so much more. And I'm sorry to be the guy to harp on aesthetics... but GJ is such an androgynous weiner. You can't put him next to an alpha male like trump and expect people to vote on substance over style. We are smart enough to hear the message and not so much care about the messenger, but for BOOBUS... GJ ain't gonna cut it.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I watched parts of it. Meh.

They could have said and done so much more. And I'm sorry to be the guy to harp on aesthetics... but GJ is such an androgynous weiner. You can't put him next to an alpha male like trump and expect people to vote on substance over style. We are smart enough to hear the message and not so much care about the messenger, but for BOOBUS... GJ ain't gonna cut it.
    Yeah, and what's ironic is that Gary used to run a company called "Big-J Enterprises", he's a triathlete, he's climbed the tallest mountain on every continent, he's a world-class skier, and he's an extreme sports guy. And yet, he comes off like such a "weiner", as you put it.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Where's McAfee? I liked his brand better.

I am fine with what i heard, Gary Johnson 2016 over the hillaries(trump/hillary). donated
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

Google trends following the Townhall

Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulhawaii View Post

This. No such thing as bad publicity. *thumbsup*

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecraftian4Paul View Post
    Johnson's only hope is to carve off enough of the Sanders supporters at this point. Trump's are too loyal, and there aren't enough of the bitter Romney/Jeb-like RINOs to matter. I think he might manage a small contingent of ex-Bernie supporters, but Jill Stein with the Green Party will get the rest. The bulk will still go to Hillary when Bernie himself falls completely in line - he's like 90% of the way there now.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulGeorge&Ringo View Post
    Is the best way to do that by talking about how great and honest Hillary is? The pro-Hillary Sandernistas are going to vote for Hillary anyway.
    There are Republicans that don't like Trump, and Democrats that don't like Clinton. And they have enough sense to be looking for someone to coalesce behind.

Just because the MSM thinks they're The Voters Who Must Not Be Named doesn't mean they don't exist. Once upon a time, this forum would have been happy about them, before the spammers made people bored with this place.

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulhawaii View Post

Nice!

Google Trends also shows Gary Johnson trending 650% higher this June than in June in 2012, despite the fact that the month isn't yet over.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    There are Republicans that don't like Trump, and Democrats that don't like Clinton. And they have enough sense to be looking for someone to coalesce behind.

Just because the MSM thinks they're The Voters Who Must Not Be Named doesn't mean they don't exist. Once upon a time, this forum would have been happy about them, before the spammers made people bored with this place.
    I read an article recently that the reason that people support either Hillary or Trump is not because they actually like their chosen candidate, but because they only hate the opposing candidate that much more. Truly baffled by their choice to try to make sense of the choice between the lesser of two evils.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNforPaul45 View Post
    I hope that Johnson and Weld will get a bump from this. Wasn't it refreshing to see an intelligent, hopeful discussion of the future of the country? Keep showing the people: The two parties childish, small, and corrupt.
    where was that discussion? It wasn't coming from Johnson and Weld. All I heard from them was pandering.... Obama a statesman? Free needles for drug addicts? Hillary a great president? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    where was that discussion? It wasn't coming from Johnson and Weld.
    You didn't hear Johnson declare the Ds and Rs dinosaurs? I thought that was an excellent sound bite.

All I heard from them was pandering.... Obama a statesman? Free needles for drug addicts? Hillary a great president? Really?
    I'm sure you wanted Johnson and Weld to attack Clinton the way Trump has. But if they were to do so, they wouldn't win any converts: those who truly hate Clinton are mostly already in the Trump camp. And they would risk the ire of the MSM, which would have begun calling their attacks "sexist", as they did to Sanders when he attacked Clinton's policies.

More than a hundred news articles have been written about Johnson and Weld's appearance on CNN during the past 48 hours. Despite the heavy coverage, not a single article, as far as I know, has attacked them as "sexist", "racist", etc. They are differentiating themselves from Trump, and making themselves a credible option to those who don't really like Clinton but who would never vote for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    they wouldn't win any converts: those who truly hate Clinton are mostly already in the Trump camp.
    Almost half of Sanders voters hate Hillary and they are trying to decide where to go. They aren't going to vote for someone who talks about how wonderful she is.

And they would risk the ire of the MSM
    I think they're more concerned about risking the ire of the NWO. Weld is going to be able to bring in a lot of money from Bushies and banksters if they think the LP campaign will help destroy Trump. The money people are not interested in any attacks on Hillary.

The CNN Town Hall was viewed by 929,000 viewers, twice as many viewers as the previous night; The Hill previously stated that a million viewers would be a victory for CNN. These ratings suggest that more town halls could be held. the town hall also resulted in a Google search spike for the LP, Johnson and Weld.

I wish they'd give Castle a town hall. Johnson and Weld were highly disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider24 View Post
    I wish they'd give Castle a town hall.
    Castle is a nobody. He's not a former state governor, and he's not polling anywhere. No major cable channel will give him an hour-long forum. I doubt he'll even make the talk show circuit.

Awful.

Right now I would support Trump over a Johnson/Weld ticket.

I think they do more harm by presenting an inconsistent, watered-down and sometimes just plain inaccurate liberty message.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has...

John Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by JS4Pat View Post
    Awful.

Right now I would support Trump over a Johnson/Weld ticket.

I think they do more harm by presenting an inconsistent, watered-down and sometimes just plain inaccurate liberty message.
    See, now that makes zero sense to me. Yeah, their liberty message sucks and they could be doing some harm to the overall movement, but Trump?!

I mean... You don't like the way someone is selling a libertarian-ish message, so you opt instead for a full-on authoritarian?! Castle, I can see, but Trump or Hillary?! Are you guys losing your minds?!
    Last edited by CaptUSA; 06-27-2016 at 09:38 AM.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    An incremental move towards liberty is way better than a dramatic lurch towards totalitarian authority.

LOL. People who expect these guys to spout paleocon, neo-confederate talking points are going to be a little disappointed. They're going to be taking more votes from Clinton than Trump. Polls have given good evidence of this.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic