Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: India suddenly declares largest circulating cash notes "valueless"

India suddenly declares largest circulating cash notes "valueless"

....but will promptly replace them with new, higher denomination notes. All cuz of corruption, for realz.

Take "note", folks. Similar will happen here!

http://www.seattletimes.com/business...ht-corruption/

NEW DELHI (AP) — India’s highest-denomination currency notes are being withdrawn immediately from circulation, the country’s prime minister said Tuesday night, a surprise announcement designed to fight corruption and target people who have stashed away immense amounts of cash.

As of midnight Tuesday, 500- and 1,000-rupee notes, worth about $7.50 and $15, will have no cash value, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in a televised address.

“A few people are spreading corruption for their own benefit,” he said in the speech. “There is a time when you realize that you have to bring some change in society, and this is our time.”

People holding the discontinued notes will be able to deposit them in bank and post office savings accounts before the end of the year – but anyone making large deposits will find themselves the target of Indian tax authorities. The government will shortly be issuing new 500- and 2,000-rupee notes, the prime minister said.

more at link
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    ....but will promptly replace them with new, higher denomination notes. All cuz of corruption, for realz.

Thanks I also just posted more information on this Indian government action - fight corruption my ...
    Subscribe to Smaulgld.com

I have the feeling those new notes probably won't be showing up any time soon.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

*goes to check the bitcoin market*
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post

I agree that this is how it will start when it is time . One day your 10 will be declared a Five . If I had it all in 1911 2 1/2 dollar gold pc.'s ( about 1/8 ounce ) though and ammo , I would not be concerned .
    Do something Danke

The war on cash continues...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

anyone making large deposits will find themselves the target of Indian tax authorities
    You don't say? I am shocked, shocked!

More realistically, how much will they take from the little old lady who has squirreling away cash for 50 years?

"Have any proof of how you got that money lady? Tell you what, you give us 75% for tax and penalties, we'll leave you alone for awhile."
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 11-08-2016 at 04:28 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

in a country with minimal credit card use, and most people without bank accounts this will be highly disruptive. Indians have owned silver and gold for centuries, and people will not be fooled again. no one will hold cash again.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mooo...

Glad it wasn't our tax farm.

Mooo...

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Mooo...

Mooo...
    Call it what it really is Comrade, a PEOPLE Farm!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

The notes have been counterfeited to $#@!.

The will be replaced with more secure notes like what proper countries have.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    in a country with minimal credit card use, and most people without bank accounts this will be highly disruptive. Indians have owned silver and gold for centuries, and people will not be fooled again. no one will hold cash again.
    The entire point was that you cant trust the bills at the moment.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...DuR_story.html

India cracks down on counterfeit cash

NEW DELHI — Of all the threats that India tries to keep from spilling across its borders, one has been particularly difficult to block: fake Indian rupees printed in Pakistan.

Bank transactions involving counterfeit currency increased 400 percent in the past year, according to India’s Finance Ministry, and officials in the capital made a record seizure of fake cash during a search of fabric shipments from Pakistan this year.

Officials say Pakistani groups produce the high-quality fake notes and use them to fund terrorism and drug networks in India. Counterfeiting is also a form of economic sabotage, the officials say, that could deter global investors if left unchecked.

The high quality of the notes indicates that sophisticated machines are used to make them, the officials say, adding that such equipment is available only to governments. The fakes typically have security features found in genuine notes, such as watermarks, silver security threads and micro-lettering, intelligence reports say.

In Islamabad, a senior security official rejected the suggestion that the Pakistani government is involved. “This is an old allegation — it has been going on for years now,” the official said. “There is no truth to it whatsoever.”

Activists of the banned Students Islamic Movement of India and militants from the outlawed Pakistani group Lashkar-i-Taiba who were arrested in the past four years were found with fake currency in their possession, according to India’s National Investigation Agency. In the southern state of Andhra Pradesh, police say, Maoist insurgents have also begun using fake notes.

Under Indian law, carrying and using counterfeit currency is punishable by up to seven years in prison. But security officials are now debating a proposal that would make currency counterfeiting an offense related to terrorism that could carry a life sentence.

Counterfeit currency is smuggled into India along with weapons or drugs, or is hidden in legitimate cross-border trade, officials say. In the New Delhi seizure, for example, police found about $460,000 in fake money in a search of two truckloads of fabric from Pakistan. The notes were hidden in cardboard boxes that the fabric was wrapped around, police said.

“These trucks came from Pakistan through the regular trade route across the border. The fabric wrappings had Pakistani labels,” said Rajan Bhagat, a deputy commissioner of police in New Delhi. “The fine texture and security features in these fake notes were very similar to the genuine Indian currency. It is very difficult for a common man to tell the difference.”

Customs officials have also seized fake cash on passenger and cargo trains running between India and Pakistan along the border of the Indian state of Punjab.

http://indianexpress.com/article/exp...oblem-2840193/

Explaining India’s huge currency problem where 250 out of every 10 lakh notes are fake

At a meeting last month, the RBI Central Board recommended designs for a new banknotes series to the government. A key reason for proposing the new series is that India remains a cash-based economy, and fake currency notes continue to be a huge menace.

How big is the fake currency problem?

As many as 250 out of every 10 lakh notes in circulation are fake, according to a study conducted by the Indian Statistical Institute. Typically, at any point in time, banknotes with a face value of Rs 400 crore are in circulation in the country. The study revealed that fake currency notes with a face value of Rs 70 crore are infused into the system every year, and law enforcement agencies are able to intercept only a third of them — a fact that is acknowledged by the agencies themselves.

The detection rates of fake 100- and 500-rupee notes were found to be about the same or 10% higher than the detection rate of 1,000-rupee notes. The study added that fake 1,000-rupee notes constitutes about 50% of the total value of fake notes.

How do these notes find their way to India, and who profits from them?

Pakistan’s military spy agency, the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), has been raking in an annual profit of around Rs 500 crore by circulating counterfeit notes in India, according to a report prepared by the IB, R&AW, Directorate of Revenue Intelligence and CBI.

The ISI has been making a profit of 30-40% on the face value of each counterfeit Indian note produced in Pakistan, according to the report. The cost of printing a Rs 1,000 counterfeit note, for instance, is Rs 39 (the RBI spends Rs 29 to print a Rs 1,000 note), but it is sold at Rs 350-400, according to the report. The total fake notes that came into India in 2010 from abroad was pegged at Rs 1,600 crore, and going by this estimate, the report put the ISI’s total profit at Rs 500 crore.

Only have this problem with paper money ,
    Do something Danke

When I was in Saudi , US 100's were not accepted anywhere by anyone as all were deemed fake .
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As long as there is money people will try and fake it , especially true of higher denomination paper money .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Only have this problem with paper money ,
    Cuz gold plated tungsten is too hard to catch so its not really a counterfeit eh.
    In New Zealand:
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    Prostitution is legal

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    Cuz gold plated tungsten is too hard to catch so its not really a counterfeit eh.
    I do not keep any tungsten .
    Do something Danke

As long as there is money people will try and fake it , especially true of higher denomination paper money .
    I actually got a fake $5 bill once. It was at a race track concession stand not to long after Sadam was taken out. There was tons of counterfiting going on. They took old Iraqi notes and bleached them to get the paper and printed over it. If you held it to the light, the watermark portrait was a different person than Lincoln. I gave it back and demanded another. Surprised to find it in such a small denomination. Usually costs/ benefits say go for at least $20's or $100's.

I actually got a fake $5 bill once. It was at a race track concession stand not to long after Sadam was taken out. There was tons of counterfiting going on. They took old Iraqi notes and bleached them to get the paper and printed over it. If you held it to the light, the watermark portrait was a different person than Lincoln. I gave it back and demanded another. Surprised to find it in such a small denomination. Usually costs/ benefits say go for at least $20's or $100's.
    I saw a Ten at my bank a couple years , it was very , very good. They only caught it because the machine kicked it out .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Mooo...

Mooo...
    Your anti-party deviationism has been noted comrade.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Funny how it's never the openly acknowledged (in banker circles) war on cash and desire for greater control of the populations. Why not just have the population come and freely exchange notes at the banks for immediate newer and harder-to-counterfeit currency? Why do they have to deposit them into a bank account and turn them into digits? Hmmm....or could it be that India has too many "non-securitized" residents and the govt wants to force them into banking contracts and turn them into securitized tax slaves? Hmm, I wonder if India's central bank is a private bank like the Fed? Yes, yes I think that is the main goal. The BRICS nations have all recently been furiously implementing birth registry securitization scams like has been in the US for the last 100 years. Can't have all those people running around without a banker tax revenue value attached to them and then propagandized into paying those taxes under false pretenses.

I bet birth certificates and all caps name ID cards aren't far behind for Indians, if they're not implemented already.
    Last edited by devil21; 11-09-2016 at 09:54 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    India's regulations on currency are nutso at the best of times.
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal

Apparently it's not going smoothly. Some vids at link.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-1...r-currency-ban

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    It's went up 6% over the past week since this news. Not nearly as nice a climb as Cyprus bank failures or the US shutting down.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/15/india...-currency.html
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Good article on this situation. 180 comments are interesting too. Looks like plenty of economic statists vs economic libertarians in India, just like the US.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/55515907.cms

examples of statist comments
    So much rant without any substance. The money in account can alwasy be used and there is no restriction. You can issue cheque, use credit/debit card. We need to leave our addiction to cash for betterment of the country.
    Such a great decision for nation, equally bad and one sided article
    Restrictions on cash withdrawals are there even in USA and Europe. One can transfer any amount through electronic/cheque/draft/credit or debit cards. So,Support Modi in eliminating black money and curtail the enjoyments of tax evaders.No PM has taken this gigantic task so far. Great Modi.
    extraordinary situations caused by un accounted money requires extraordinay situations.That is what Govt is expected to do and is now doing.What is stated is irresponsible gossip
    examples of libertarian comments
    Thanks for this article, very rightly said, useless government.BJP will heavily pay for this. Lack of preparation has put common in to so much of trouble. banks & atm are running of cash, total consumer spending has stopped not good sign of economy this will be worst case than the black money what they are counting for.
    RSS/BJP seems hell bent on redefining the basic definition of democracy - government of the ''pretentious people who lie in our face'' for the ''rich who fund their elections and foreign investors who need India more than we need them'' - all in the name of nationalism. People dying is collateral damage. PM goes to Japan to buy bullet trains when we can not provide safety on existing track - 96 dead today [train derail].
    The stated objectives of demonetisation are a cover to shroud the next move - to take control of your finances. If all your financial assets are ''digitised'' in the banking system, what prevents governments, in collusion with crony bankers and central banks, from reducing interest rates to zero or negative, increasing or adding ''transaction taxes'', bailing in sick banks, re-appropriating your assets for itself "in public interest" etc. Just recognition your memory and see what happened to Greeks and Cypriots within the last five years. Money in excess of x amount in every bank account of a citizen was shamelessly confiscated by the banks on orders from their governments to bail in the banks because the European Union rules prevent bail out of banks! You may or may not be saying good bye to your money just yet, but rest assured, you are saying good bye to your freedom to earn, save, invest and retire happily. Your cabin just turned in to a cage, but you haven''t noticed it yet.
    Last edited by devil21; 11-20-2016 at 12:18 PM.

They're all fake. Tell me what a $5 bill is worth Zip. What is the value of five dollars? What is the value of one dollar?

I saw a Ten at my bank a couple years , it was very , very good. They only caught it because the machine kicked it out .
    Mr Animal gets counterfeits at the bar all the time. He ended up buying a machine to catch them because the markers are useless. He's even gotten a few counterfeits from the bank. He went to the bank and withdrew a few hundred to buy something at Home Depot and Home Depot said one of the hundreds were counterfeit. Mr Animal doesn't like to use debit cards. He's technology challenged.

He says people wash out real bills, pull out the strips, and reprint them in a higher denomination. If you hit them with a marker, they come up real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast