Thread: Epic giant robot battle scheduled for October 17th

Epic giant robot battle scheduled for October 17th

Are you ready for the world's first giant robot fight? (If your answer to that was "No," who even are you?) We've been waiting for a date for the MegaBots vs. Suidobashi duel, and now it's finally here. The fight will take place on October 17th, 2016 at 10:00 PM ET. It will be streamed worldwide on Twitch. If you miss the live stream, you can catch it on YouTube and Facebook immediately after the event concludes.
    This giant robot battle has been in the works for almost two years and was originally supposed to take place in August. The 16-foot-tall, 12-ton MegaBots Eagle Prime robot was built a team of American engineers, while Kuratas, a 13-footer that weighs 6.5 tons, was built by the Japanese company Suidobashi Heavy Industries. And now they will do battle for our enjoyment; the question is, who will reign supreme?

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/epic-...001500175.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The fight will take place on October 17th, 2016 at 10:00 PM ET.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/epic-...001500175.html
    Robots are dumb as $#@!, just bring back Junk Yard Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Robots are dumb as $#@!, just bring back Junk Yard Wars.

2016 is a typo.

And I also liked junkyard wars.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I would classify those as "mechs", not robots.

Also, I'm pretty confident that I could take that thing out with my mini-excavator.

And DARPA / DOD are laughing their asses off watching this. What they have already is fascinating.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    2016 is a typo.

And I also liked junkyard wars.
    Gotcha. And I guess if they're mechas, that's much better... :P

The first round lasted a few seconds—all that it took for the 13-foot-tall, 6.5-ton Kuratas to charge at the 15-foot-tall, 6-ton Iron Glory. Reaching a speed of 18 miles per hour, the Americans were no match for the Japanese robot, as it used its 600-pound robotic arm to swing a knockout punch to Iron Glory, which fell flat on its back.

A clear victory for Japan in the first round prompted MegaBots to take out the big guns. Enter Eagle Prime, possibly the most patriotic-looking fighter since Captain America. Red, white and blue, flashing a bald eagle head, the robot is an upgraded version of Iron Glory, weighing twice as much as its predecessor and towering over Kuratas at 16 feet tall.

Slightly slower than the Japanese opponent, at 10 miles per hour, Eagle Prime could boast 430 horsepower, almost five times that of Kuratas, forcing the Japanese team to think of a different strategy to attack the metallic mammoth.
    A drone flew, shots were fired, punches dropped, but in the end, Round 2 was a draw, as the robots got stuck.

For Round 3, Eagle Prime exchanged its cannon arm for a 4-foot-tall, 40-horsepower, stars-and-stripes chainsaw originally designed to cut through rock. That finally tipped the balance between the two giants. In a spectacular finish, Eagle Prime cornered Kuratas and was declared the winner.
    Visibly satisfied, the MegaBots team members reiterated their desire to start a robot fighting league with rules and weight classes. They greeted Kurata as he descended the robot with cheers and applause. He appeared unfazed by his robot’s defeat: “That was totally awesome,” he said.
    The 28-minute video of the fight was streamed on the MegaBots Twitch channel, receiving almost 1 million views. Below the video uploaded later on YouTube, opinions differed, ranging from enthusiastic comments to harsh criticism focusing how scripted the battle felt.
    But the MegaBots team members knew from the start they could not please everyone. “If you go into this thinking it's going to be a Transformers movie, you're definitely going to be disappointed,” the team said answering questions on Reddit ahead of the battle.

More at: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/robot-batt...131259987.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment