Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump banned from Capitol Building by Speaker Pelosi, No SOTU there

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Come on, this is just a tit for tat between friends. See, he took away her photo op opportunity with the troops in Afghanistan and now she took away his photo op for SOTUA. But don't worry, behind closed door, all is fine
    For why did you reverse the order of events?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Dunno, just put the post without really thinking about order. Did I get the order wrong?

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    For the same reason he wants her to have the power to do this.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 01-22-2019 at 08:16 PM.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    For the same reason h wants her to have the power to do this.
    What is wrong with the post? can u please tell me what I did wrong

Dunno, just put the post without really thinking about order. Did I get the order wrong?
    Pelosi announced she was not going to allow Trump to do the SOTU speech a day or two before the Afghanistan trip thing went down.

It matters because Trump only rolls in the mud with pigs.
    Last edited by dannno; 01-22-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

What is wrong with the post? can u please tell me what I did wrong
    Putting the events backwards makes Trump the villain and Pelosi the victim.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Putting the events backwards makes Trump the villain and Pelosi the victim.
    I actually did not know this, I thought this news came out today. But thanks for the correction.

I actually did not know this, I thought this news came out today. But thanks for the correction.
    I was born yesterday. I really didn't know.

Trump should have it at one of his hotels.

A2S3:

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.
    The Donald should hold this outside, without chairs in the freezing D.C. winter and remind congress that they could have had this inside a warm building but power drunk Nancy doesn't want that.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    The Donald should hold this outside, without chairs in the freezing D.C. winter and remind congress that they could have had this inside a warm building but power drunk Nancy doesn't want that.
    You must spread some reputation around.........................

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Oh snap! wait! and...RBG might catch pneumonia and ... let fate have its way.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

@realDonaldTrump Hold the SOTU speech outside in the freezing winter weather to save the taxpayers money and teach power drunk Nancy a lesson.

Oh snap! wait! and...RBG might catch pneumonia and ... let fate have its way.
    True, we mustn't give them ANY excuse for RBG not to attend, she is already dead or dying and that is what Pelosi is trying to hide with this nonsense.

Trump needs to hold it some place nice and warm.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    These are good times. What's not to love about the government dysfunction. I think it would be funny if Trump held the SOTU at the DAR Constitution Hall. Really no different than one of his rallies. Invite the Republicans and leave the Democrats out. Who needs to see them on TV sitting on their hands when Trump speaks anyway? The place seats over 3000 people. Plenty of room.

Daughters of the American Revolution!
    https://www.dar.org/constitution-hall
    That would make the Bolsheviks boil over.

I like this idea.

So when does Pelosi's wall construction around the Capitol building begin?

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    The SOTU is required by the Constitution, and Pelosi can kiss my ass.
    It is only required that the President do it from time to time. There is no stipulation of where, when, or how often.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He just keeps kicking her in the nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    His professionally written letters have a lot more bite than his snarky tweets.

She has no nuts.

Oh, wait. She is nuts. No wonder kicking her in her nuttiness works so well.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Prior to 1913 there were only 12 "in person" State of the Union speeches. In the early days, they were submitted in writing. There is no requirement that it be made in person and live. Only that the report is made. https://history.house.gov/Institutio...-of-the-Union/

State of the Union Address

Including President Donald J. Trump’s 2018 address, there have been a total of 95 in-person Annual Messages/State of the Union Addresses. Since President Woodrow Wilson’s 1913 address, there have been a total of 83 in-person addresses.

In 1945, President Franklin Roosevelt's address was read to a Joint Session of the House and Senate. Since the President did not deliver the address, it does not count as an in-person address.

Origins and Authorization

The formal basis for the State of the Union Address is from the U.S. Constitution:

The President “shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.” Article II, Section 3, Clause 1.

The constitutionally mandated presidential address has gone through a few name changes:

It was formally known as the Annual Message from 1790 to 1946.

It began to be informally called the "state of the Union" message/address from 1942 to 1946.

Since 1947 it has officially been known as the State of the Union Address.

Earlier Annual Messages of the President included agency budget requests and general reports on the health of the economy. During the 20th century, Congress required more-specialized reports on these two aspects, separate from the Annual Message.

Budget Message, required by the National Budget and Accounting Act of 1921 (42 Stat. 20) to be delivered to Congress no more than two weeks after Congress convenes in January.

Economic Report, required by the Employment Act of 1946 (60 Stat. 23), with a flexible delivery date.

Over time, as the message content changed, the focus of the State of the Union also changed:

In the 19th century, the annual message was both a lengthy administrative report on the various departments of the executive branch and a budget and economic message.

After 1913, when Woodrow Wilson revived the practice of presenting the message to Congress in person, it became a platform for the President to rally support for his agenda.

Technological changes—radio, television, and the Internet—further developed the State of the Union into a forum for the President to speak directly to the American people.

Technological Change

First radio broadcast of Message: President Calvin Coolidge, 1923.
    First television broadcast of Message: President Harry Truman, 1947.
    First televised evening delivery of Message: President Lyndon Johnson, 1965.
    First live webcast on Internet: President George W. Bush, 2002.
    First high definition television broadcast of Message, President George W. Bush, 2004.

Record Holders

The longest: President James Earl (Jimmy) Carter 33,667 words in 1981 (written). President William J. (Bill) Clinton 9,190 words in 1995 (spoken).1
    The shortest: President George Washington, 1790, 1,089 words.2
    Average length: 19th century was about 10,000 words; late 20th century, about 5,000 words.
    Most Messages/Addresses given: President Franklin Roosevelt, 12 (10 were personal appearances before Congress).
    Fewest Messages/Addresses given: President Zachary Taylor, 1; President William Henry Harrison, 0; President James A. Garfield, 0.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-23-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    It is only required that the President do it from time to time. There is no stipulation of where, when, or how often.
    But he has the power to convene Congress.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...id=recommended

As a practical matter, the speaker of the House has control over the chamber, including when it is open and when the president can speak there.

For Trump to speak there, the House and Senate have to pass a joint resolution providing for the use of the floor for that purpose.
    He could also deliver it from the White House but would miss out Republicans cheering during the speech.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

He could also deliver it from the White House but would miss out Republicans cheering during the speech.
    And Speaker Pelosi yelling YOU LIE through a bullhorn.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

For Trump to speak there, the House and Senate have to pass a joint resolution providing for the use of the floor for that purpose.
    One minute you're debunking the myth that the tradition of a live speech is a mandatory annual event. The next minute you're repeating MSM propaganda predicated on the myth that the SOTU can only be delivered to a joint session of Congress.

The Senate doesn't require the House's permission to use their own chamber for anything, nor to listen to anybody.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    One minute you're debunking the myth that the tradition of a live speech is a mandatory annual event. The next minute you're repeating MSM propaganda predicated on the myth that the SOTU can only be delivered to a joint session of Congress.

The Senate doesn't require the House's permission to use their own chamber for anything, nor to listen to anybody.
    My second post says that if he wants to do it before a joint session, it requires authorization. No conflict. It does not say he has to do it there. You are right, the Senate could decide to host it. He could hold a public rally someplace too if he wants. The fight over the speech is silly but there is a power struggle going on between Trump and the Democrat controlled House. That is what the whole thing is all about (including the shutdown- it isn't really about border security or the wall).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-23-2019 at 01:39 PM.

My second post says that if he wants to do it before a joint session, it requires authorization. No conflict. It does not say he has to do it there. Sure, the Senate could decide to host it. He could hold a public rally someplace too if he wants. The fight over the speech is silly but there is a power struggle going on between Trump and the Democrat controlled House. That is what the whole thing is all about (including the shutdown- it isn't really about border security or the wall).
    Can he convene congress? If so then the point is not whether Trump can go to congress but rather can the Senate attend.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast