Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TN - HS gym coach put on leave after saying girls 'pretty much ruin everything'

@Anti Federalist @PierzStyx

The Progressive Era falls into two phases, divided roughly by the year 1896.

Pre-1896 = Northern WASPs (both genders) promoting big government v. Southern WASPs and immigrants promoting small government

...this was the party system going back to the civil war.

Post-1896 = WASPs (both genders) promoting big government v. immigrants promoting small government

...this was the next party system, that emerged when, c. 1896, the previously solid south was converted to yankeeism

Post-191? = Progressive movement over, as all parties are pretty much progressive at this point, as they've remained

So, no, the Progressive movement was not driven by immigrants. As for women, it's a bit more complex. Women did support it (esp. temperance), but specifically the women (wives, daughters) of the yankees, and later all WASPs: not women in general. Further, it wasn't so much that women embraced progressives, as that progressives embraced women. Think about the relationship between blacks and the GOP prior to the civil war.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 09-29-2018 at 01:49 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    @Anti Federalist @PierzStyx

The Progressive Era falls into two phases, divided roughly by the year 1896.

Pre-1896 = Northern WASPs (both genders) promoting big government v. Southern WASPs and immigrants promoting small government

...this was the party system going back to the civil war.

Post-1896 = WASPs (both genders) promoting big government v. immigrants promoting small government

...this was the next party system, that emerged when, c. 1896, the previously solid south was converted to yankeeism

Post-191? = Progressive movement over, as all parties are pretty much progressive at this point, as they've remained

So, no, the Progressive movement was not driven by immigrants. As for women, it's a bit more complex. Women did support it (esp. temperance), but specifically the women (wives, daughters) of the yankees, and later all WASPs: not women in general. Further, it wasn't so much that women embraced progressives, as that progressives embraced women. Think about the relationship between blacks and the GOP prior to the civil war.
    We've discussed this before, immigrants DID promote big government.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Correct me if I was wrong but didnt he say girls pretty much ruin everything? I bet you would be singing a diff tune had a black AD had said white boys pretty much ruin everything.
    I wouldn't call for him to be suspended.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    AF might be singing a different tune, but his tune would be asking why the person HADNT been suspended since they would have been suspended if they had made a joke about any other group.
    Don't put words in AF's mouth, it isn't sanitary.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Exactly, he wouldnt have been complaining that this person who slighted his white male students was suspended.

Btw I read another article on USAtoday about the story and it seems like it was a bad joke on his part. He didnt really mean it and as it turns out, there is a good number of students and parents who want him back. Lucky for him cos this looked like an easy firing
    difference, AF wouldn't be calling for anybody's suspension, he would simply be pointing out the double standard.

difference, AF wouldn't be calling for anybody's suspension, he would simply be pointing out the double standard.
    Exactly.

People should be free to say and do and advocate for whoever they want, without running the risk of getting ruined, professionally or financially.

The question is this, had my scenario had been the case, do you think you would have seen a post by AF bemoaning the suspension of this African American or even worse a foreign born AD of a public school(tax payer funded) with lots of white boys in it and who said "White boys ruin virtually everything"? I would bet the world that the post would never be created by anyone on this forum talk-less of it coming from a poster like AF.

That is the inconsistency that I am talking about. Because the target is woemen, life is good and the AD needs to be lionized instead of criticized and fired for talking down to his customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Exactly.

People should be free to say and do and advocate for whoever they want, without running the risk of getting ruined, professionally or financially.
    Good or bad, your words have consequences.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12