Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Dramatically Did Women's Suffrage Change the Size and Scope of Government?

How Dramatically Did Women's Suffrage Change the Size and Scope of Government?

This paper examines the growth of government during this century as a result of giving women the right to vote. Using cross-sectional time-series data for 1870 to 1940, we examine state government expenditures and revenue as well as voting by U.S. House and Senate state delegations and the passage of a wide range of different state laws. Suffrage coincided with immediate increases in state government expenditures and revenue and more liberal voting patterns for federal representatives, and these effects continued growing over time as more women took advantage of the franchise. Contrary to many recent suggestions, the gender gap is not something that has arisen since the 1970s, and it helps explain why American government started growing when it did.

More at: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....ract_id=160530
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

More married women did not vote for Dole because of a widespread sense of societal insecurity: ‘‘It is not that they distrust their husband, but they have seen divorce all around them and know they could be next.’’ The Polling Company’s Kellyanne Fitzpatrick is categorical: ‘‘Women see government as their insur-ance.’’ [Richmond Times Dispatch, December 5, 1996]

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It certainly changed the size of their waistline.

I hate using logic too. Everything should be emotions and how it makes me feel

Most women in general usually support big government.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

prohibition to the drug war
    trillions of "dollars" wasted
    millions of lives ended needlessly
    billions in property damage driving insurance costs
    seizure
    set ups
    us versus them instead of THEM working FOR US

yeah, it had an effect
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

We should repeal the 19th Amendment!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    We should repeal the 19th Amendment!
    +Rep

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

But I thought that it was the furriners and the browns and the blacks and the catholics and the mooselimbs and the jews and the...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    But I thought that it was the furriners and the browns and the blacks and the catholics and the mooselimbs and the jews and the...
    ...and the trolls

The problem isn't that women inherently look for protection rather secure their own means of security, as men are more inclined to do on average. The problem is that they believe government is more capable than they are at providing security. This is a matter of education. Women, and men for that matter, aren't educated on the ineptitude of government, and how the government secures more power by making the public reliant upon it. The only way to change this is by upending the propaganda machine operating under the guise of public schools and higher education.

There are many people who contributed.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    The problem isn't that women inherently look for protection rather secure their own means of security, as men are more inclined to do on average. The problem is that they believe government is more capable than they are at providing security. This is a matter of education. Women, and men for that matter, aren't educated on the ineptitude of government, and how the government secures more power by making the public reliant upon it. The only way to change this is by upending the propaganda machine operating under the guise of public schools and higher education.
    Women voted for big government before the propaganda machine existed, they helped create it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Federal spending (as a percent of GDP) started to pick up after the Great Depression- 20 years after women got the vote. That had more of an impact than women voters. (yeah- I realize the point of the thread is to argue that only white males should vote and then we would have no more problems- Government of the few, by the few, and for the few).

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-01-2019 at 05:24 PM.

There are many people who contributed.
    Sounds like it.

That coalition represented a majority of Americans at very the moment that women's suffrage passed, and their numbers have only grown since. Right now they're 81% of the population... and that's just race and gender. Add religion to it and you're well over 85%.

Of course, all of that invalidates every other political thought that you've ever had, but whatever, really.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Federal spending (as a percent of GDP) started to pick up after the Great Depression- 20 years after women got the vote. That had more of an impact than women voters. (yeah- I realize the point of the thread is to argue that only white males should vote and then we would have no more problems- Government of the few, by the few, and for the few).

Government spending isn't the only aspect of big government and women support it more than men and always have.

And race has nothing to do with this.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sounds like it.

That coalition represented a majority of Americans at very the moment that women's suffrage passed, and their numbers have only grown since. Right now they're 81% of the population... and that's just race and gender. Add religion to it and you're well over 85%.

Of course, all of that invalidates every other political thought that you've ever had, but whatever, really.
    What coalition?

I said many people contributed, I didn't agree to every thing you said.

The 19thA caused a sharp turn in favor of big government and so did each wave of excessive immigration.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Government spending isn't the only aspect of big government and women support it more than men and always have.

And race has nothing to do with this.
    In this thread. But in others you have argued that those not born in the United States should also not be allowed to vote- often minorities. All them "commies". (and there is the "immigrants" in the previous post!)

and so did each wave of excessive immigration.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-01-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Prohibition anyone?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lips_that_touch_liquor_shall_not_touch_ours_postcard-ra65da098696f4b7facf4b1304008f7cb_vgbaq_8by.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	7249
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

In this thread. But in others you have argued that those not born in the United States should also not be allowed to vote- often minorities. All them "commies". (and there is the "immigrants" in the previous post!)
    Which still has nothing to do with race.

I don't want blond haired blue eyed commies immigrating in excessive numbers or voting for communism in my country any more than any other commies.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Which still has nothing to do with race.

I don't want blond haired blue eyed commies immigrating in excessive numbers or voting for communism in my country any more than any other commies.
    So it is only certain Conservative white males you want to be allowed to vote. Everyone else is a commie.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-01-2019 at 05:42 PM.

So it is only certain Conservative white males you want to be allowed to vote. Everyone else is a commie.
    LOL

Only American males should be able to vote, liberty would be in much better shape if that was the rule.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What coalition?

the furriners and the browns and the blacks and the catholics and the mooselimbs and the jews and the...
    Pinochet is the model

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL

Only American males should be able to vote, liberty would be in much better shape if that was the rule.
    Except the commie American males. Like liberals. Which would include most minorities so we are back to conservative white males only being allowed to vote.

I said many people contributed, I didn't agree to every thing you said.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Except the commie American males. Like liberals.
    Nowhere have I said that the politics of Americans should keep them from voting.

But they would have very little success if they weren't allowed to import reinforcements or get the votes of women who are physically and psychologically not suited to government in their quest to destroy liberty.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Suffragettes marched in arm step with Prohibition.

From inception the right of woman voting rights went against individual liberty.

I'm not against equal rights.The Vikings, Danes, had an equal society.

Never in that society would women deprived men of alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Suffragettes marched in arm step with Prohibition.

From inception the right of woman voting rights went against individual liberty.

I'm not against equal rights.The Vikings, Danes, had an equal society.

Never in that society would women deprived men of alcohol.
    Men ran those societies.

The occasional queen was surrounded with male councilors and vassals and all political power proceeded from the men in the armies.

The Bible tells us it is a curse when women rule and it is correct, in a Republic the voters rule, therefore women having the vote is a curse.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I love the opening line;

''This paper examines the growth of government during this century as a result of giving women the right to vote. ''

While reaching for the click on this Topic, I was thinking yea this brought us liberalism and big gobs of gobt' , ha ha,
    exactly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast