View Poll Results: Which option? or "other"

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Closed border, think Berlin Wall or DMZ, guns and mines unlimited deterrents

7 30.43%
  • Open borders, No limits at all totally open 24/7/365 to anyone.

5 21.74%
  • Status qou

1 4.35%
  • Reform, more visas like a C1G1-B for level 1 criminals and gangbangers

0 0%
  • Unlimited immigration, but with cheks for disease,criminal history,income verification

2 8.70%
  • Birthright citizenship, at least one parent must be a US citizen for child to be US Citizen

5 21.74%
  • Limited quota, checks for disease and criminal history.

3 13.04%
  • quota without checks lottery system

0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Immigration

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/20...nd-foreigners/
    Matthew 25:35-40

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ —(New International Version)
    Charity begins at home:

Matthew 26:11

“For ye have the poor always with you;”

King James Version (KJV)

Leviticus 19:33-34

When immigrants live in your land with you, you must not cheat them. Any immigrant who lives with you must be treated as if they were one of your citizens. You must love them as yourself, because you were immigrants in the land of Egypt; I am the Lord your God.
    It doesn't say how many we have to let in.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    What's the reference for the nations with weak borders passage of the Bible that you're talking about?

I think it's clear that pretty much everything you've said on this issue is the diametric opposite of what Jesus taught. I don't see how you can even dispute that.
    There are many references to the nations. How do you have many nations without respect for borders. Do you wish for a new Roman Empire? This would be a good debate for the religion forum, eh E?

And again you have yet to tell me where God would disagree with me. And you have yet to explain the difference between an invasion of an army that wants to violently disarm me an those who vote to violently disarm me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    LOL

Why then did he say that anyone without a sword should sell his garment and buy one?
    Wait. Are you suggesting that he said that people should buy swords to use them to stop people from immigrating? That's just weird.

In fact, he positively prohibited his disciples from using the sword to rule over others like the rulers of the nations do.

And notice that the passage to which you're referring doesn't end with that verse, but it goes on to relate how his disciples responded to him by taking up swords and bringing them along when he was arrested, at which point they asked if they should use them in defense of him (with one of them cutting off a soldier's ear), and he prohibited them from doing so. This context should always be kept in mind when citing that verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Suicide Christian...Kindness that can kill.
    Somehow he isn't responsible for the harm his policies will cause.

Is it not ungodly to deprive people of their rights?

2 Chronicles 19:2

“And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the ungodly, and love them that hate the LORD? therefore is wrath upon thee from before the LORD.”

King James Version (KJV)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wait. Are you suggesting that he said that people should buy swords to use them to stop people from immigrating? That's just weird.

In fact, he positively prohibited his disciples from using the sword to rule over others like the rulers of the nations do.

And notice that the passage to which you're referring doesn't end with that verse, but it goes on to relate how his disciples responded to him by taking up swords and bringing them along when he was arrested, at which point they asked if they should use them in defense of him (with one of them cutting off a soldier's ear), and he prohibited them from doing so. This context should always be kept in mind when citing that verse.
    He said they should buy swords to defend themselves, keeping out immigrants that will destroy our liberty is defending ourselves.

“And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the ungodly, and love them that hate the LORD? therefore is wrath upon thee from before the LORD.”

King James Version (KJV)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    There are many references to the nations.
    That's a strange argument. Yes, there are many references to all kinds of sin as well. But what's the takeaway from those passages? It's not that sin exists, so we ought to sin. One important reference to nations is Jesus commanding his disciples to repudiate the methods of the rulers of the nations to rule over others.

Do you wish for a new Roman Empire?
    I don't wish for one. But Jesus calls his followers to follow the approach he took in dealing with that Empire.

He said they should buy swords to defend themselves
    That's not what he said. And in fact, in the following verses that you disregarded they asked if they should use them for that purpose, and he said no.

Yes it is, provided "rights" are defined according to God's law, which is why I refuse to support depriving people of their rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Suicide Christian...Kindness that can kill.
    You've said that before, and my response is still the same. Do you call Jesus that same name? He actually went to his death following this way of life.

That's a strange argument. Yes, there are many references to all kinds of sin as well. But what's the takeaway from those passages? It's not that sin exists, so we ought to sin. One important reference to nations is Jesus commanding his disciples to repudiate the methods of the rulers of the nations to rule over others.

I don't wish for one. But Jesus calls his followers to follow the approach he took in dealing with that Empire.
    You totally ignored every question and point I made in my last post except for my sarcastic one. Why?

That's not what he said. And in fact, in the following verses that you disregarded they asked if they should use them for that purpose, and he said no.
    He said they should not use them to stop his arrest because it was time for his sacrifice.

Yes it is, provided "rights" are defined according to God's law, which is why I refuse to support depriving people of their rights.
    You do support those who will deprive us of our rights.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

He said they should not use them to stop his arrest because it was time for his sacrifice.
    He didn't say that either.

And his sacrifice isn't an anomaly that diverges from the kind of life he calls his disciples to live. It's a pattern he calls us to follow.

You've said that before, and my response is still the same. Do you call Jesus that same name? He actually went to his death following this way of life.
    He had a divine purpose for his death and it was to save mankind you are demanding that others go to their deaths and it will result in dooming mankind.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You do support those who will deprive us of our rights.
    I don't support any action of theirs or anyone else's that deprives anyone else of any rights, properly defined.

He didn't say that either.
    Yes he did:

John
    Chapter 18

10 Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.
    11 Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?

He didn't say that we must allow in an unlimited number of immigrants.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

He had a divine purpose for his death and it was to save mankind you are demanding that others go to their deaths and it will result in dooming mankind.
    It's not me demanding that. Jesus demanded that his disciples take up their crosses and follow him.

Ironically, Jesus proved that this didn't doom him, and won't doom mankind either, but is really the path to victory, not defeat.

I don't support any action of theirs or anyone else's that deprives anyone else of any rights, properly defined.
    Your definitions are faulty.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes he did:

John
    Chapter 18

10 Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.
    11 Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?
    You're mixing up two totally different passages. The sword one we were talking about is in Luke 22.

He said they should buy swords to defend themselves, keeping out immigrants that will destroy our liberty is defending ourselves.

King James Version (KJV)
    When told to buy swords, the apostles showed Jesus they had two swords among them. Jesus said "That is enough." It was not to build an army or a defense force. And they were not to protect anybody from immigrants. When Peter tried to use his sword on the Romans arresting Jesus, Jesus stopped him and healed the ear Peter cut.

"He who lives by the sword shall die by the sword."

https://www.biola.edu/blogs/good-boo...ntrol-part-two

The setting is the final week of Jesus’ life. Having just celebrated the Passover with his disciples, Jesus warns them of his impending betrayal and of Peter’s threefold denial. He then cautions them concerning difficulties to come: “Then Jesus said, ‘When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?’ ‘Nothing,’ they answered. He said to them, ‘But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.’” The disciples then produce two swords, which prompts Jesus to respond, “That’s enough!” (NIV)
    In their accounts of Jesus’ betrayal and arrest in Gethsemane, all four gospel writers record that one of Jesus’ followers draws a sword and attempts to meet violence with violence. We learn from John that the culprit is Peter, who actually sliced off the ear of the High Priest’s slave, Malchus (John 18:10). Apparently, Peter interpreted Jesus’ enigmatic statement on acquiring a sword in the manner that gun-rights advocates suggest, as an endorsement of violent resistance—and is sternly rebuked by Jesus: “No more of this!” (Luke 22:51); “Put away your sword!” (Matt. 26:52; John 18:11). In Matthew’s account, Jesus adds the following rationale to his reprimand: “For all who take up the sword will die by the sword.”
    Does he argue for protection?

“If someone slaps your right cheek, turn to them your other cheek also”
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-17-2019 at 02:52 PM.

It's not me demanding that. Jesus demanded that his disciples take up their crosses and follow him.
    That was metaphorical and not a command that we all allow ourselves and our loved ones to be robbed and murdered.

Ironically, Jesus proved that this didn't doom him, and won't doom mankind either, but is really the path to victory, not defeat.

Christ had a purpose in his death that we do not and we have a duty to one another to defend eachother's rights.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You're mixing up two totally different passages. The sword one we were talking about is in Luke 22.
    I'm not mixing up anything, you claimed that I was wrong when I said Christ commanded his Apostles not to use their swords to prevent his arrest because it was time for his sacrifice, this is that incident.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.

In fact, he positively prohibited his disciples from using the sword to rule over others like the rulers of the nation
    And for the record, I do not want to rule over anyone. I simply wish to be left alone, practice my rights,and live in an area where where I suffer neither excess crime or police. Mass immigration without assimilation does threaten that. I have seen it in formerly nice areas in L.A.

That was metaphorical and not a command that we all allow ourselves and our loved ones to be robbed and murdered.
    It was not metaphorical. It was very literal and real, and the original audience of those words took them very seriously, and did follow him in suffering much persecution, including in some cases the death penalty.

Christ had a purpose in his death
    Yes. And one purpose was to show us what he meant by, "take up your cross and follow me."

we have a duty to one another to defend eachother's rights.
    Jesus also shows us the means by which we are to do that, and those by which we are not. Using the sword to rule over others so as to prevent future crimes by those we suspect will one day commit them is not his way.

And for the record, I do not want to rule over anyone.
    You clearly do.

I simply wish to be left alone, practice my rights,and live in an area where where I suffer neither excess crime or police.
    Then you should likewise leave others alone the same way you want to be left alone.

Mass immigration without assimilation does threaten that.
    Notice how you say "threaten." Immigration and non-assimilation in themselves don't violate anyone's rights. And not all who immigrate without assimilating to whatever it is you want the government to require them to assimilate to (somehow all without ruling over them?) do the things you mean by excess crime. But you want to preempt future violations of rights by stopping people from doing acts that in themselves aren't violations of rights as some kind of pre-crime enforcement. This is to do what Jesus told his followers not to do in Matthew 20:25-26.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 04-17-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Jus soli needs to go
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

I'm not mixing up anything, you claimed that I was wrong when I said Christ commanded his Apostles not to use their swords to prevent his arrest because it was time for his sacrifice, this is that incident.
    Go back and reread those posts. You brought up the Luke 22 passage, though you didn't cite the reference, and that was the passage I was talking about. Luke is not the only Gospel to relate the account of a disciple using the sword at that incident. But it is the one we were discussing.

You clearly do.
    Oh FFS. You don't have the balls to answer my points that explain my reasoning, nor tell me where I disagree with God, yet you will tell me what I believe. Lol.

ETA. I made this response when he replied with just the reply above. He answered more shortly after in an edit, so I will reply to that separately.
    Last edited by RJB; 04-17-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    Very good and absolutely. And the worst thing is it is happening already. The one size fits all codes that they think are needed in the urban cities are being forced on rural folks where they don't even apply. In this way they are forcing this failed culture of oppression on those of us who do not have these social cultural problems because of density. I also challenge someone to come up with just one example of how denser demographics and local urban governments are freer than rural demographics. It cannot be done. One is free, the other is self enslavement.
    Oh believe me, I know. The city has been annexing bits of the county year by year, and I could throw a stone and hit the city limits sign. There's gonna be a mighty hell-raising if they move the signs again.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

It isn't.

My first goal isn't to better my own lot by any means necessary, even if it means doing wrong to someone else. My first goal is to not wrong someone else, even if I think I could improve my lot by wronging them.

While I disagree with your prescription as a means of attaining that goal anyway, and think that allowing other people to do what they want as long as they aren't violating others' rights would end up benefiting me too in the end, that isn't my main goal.
    Then you have an admirable goal, I'll give you that. Meanwhile you've been losing liberty day by day and by some miracle of inner peace, you don't seem to let it affect you.

For a lot of folks, it's starting to get under our skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When told to buy swords, the apostles showed Jesus they had two swords among them. Jesus said "That is enough." And they were not to protect anybody from immigrants. When Peter tried to use his sword on the Romans arresting Jesus, Jesus stopped him and healed the ear Peter cut.
    The swords were to protect themselves and two was enough for right then so they did not have to rush out and buy more immediately because they were all together.
    He stopped Peter because it was time for his sacrifice:

John
    Chapter 18

"He who lives by the sword shall die by the sword."

https://www.biola.edu/blogs/good-boo...ntrol-part-two
    Defending yourself is not "living by the sword" and dying by the sword is not damnation.

Does he argue for protection?
    A slap on the cheek is nothing and Christ's teachings on the mount were to those who were being groomed for leadership positions and had to set a special example they were not intended for the members at large:

Matthew
    Chapter 5

1 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him

13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
    14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
    15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
    16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

There is much there that applies to everyone but the extreme restrictions do not apply to everyone, this part for instance:

Matthew
    Chapter 6

25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
    26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
    27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
    28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
    29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
    30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
    31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
    32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
    33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
    34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

He also commanded that the wicked be kept separate from the righteous and that certainly applies to those who would deprive us of our liberty:

Matthew
    Chapter 5

29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
    30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Those who preach suicide Christianity should consider this part:

Matthew
    Chapter 7

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
    16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
    17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
    18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
    19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
    20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
    21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Their doctrine does not bring good fruit, it brings evil fruit.

The sermon on the mount is also filled with simple instructions that are general and do not cover all of the details or exceptions.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Go back and reread those posts. You brought up the Luke 22 passage, though you didn't cite the reference, and that was the passage I was talking about. Luke is not the only Gospel to relate the account of a disciple using the sword at that incident. But it is the one we were discussing.
    LOL

I brought up the events and I will use any of the accounts of them that I choose to prove my point, you can't disprove my point so you are trying to play lawyer and limit which sources I am allowed.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast