View Poll Results: Why do we have lost freedoms?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Political parties- Should we have political parties?

2 7.69%
  • Media

3 11.54%
  • Public education

7 26.92%
  • Career politicians

1 3.85%
  • Third parties not winning- If we should have them is the two party system holding us back

2 7.69%
  • Other-explain

11 42.31%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the biggest problem facing our nation regarding our lost freedoms?

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Ah, victim-blaming. How not-so-unexpected. :P You realize that by this reasoning a rape victim is at fault for her/his own rape, yes? :P Fail.
    I didn't translate that as blaming the victim. My POV is that he is saying what Jefferson also said:

"Those who sacrifice freedom for safety deserve neither."
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, then that nation expects what never was and never will be."

Comparing that to blaming a rape victim is like saying it's the man's fault if a passionate naked woman jumps on him and starts going for it.

JMHPOV
    There is no spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Can't we have Freedom AND Marvel movies????
    Hmm...

I'll allow it, but only if we finally get a Venom movie.

Sans Topher Grace, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    Hmm...

I'll allow it, but only if we finally get a Venom movie.

Sans Topher Grace, that is.
    Awesome-

You produce; I'll direct.
    There is no spoon.

If they are "accredited" they are still part of the state and still have to teach the prevalent lies.
    Yes, I know (which is why I keep screaming that vouchers won't solve anything...but no one listens.)

One more observation: I went to school before the Dept. of Education existed (yes, I'm that old, LOL) The indoctrination you see today wasn't there. In fact, if there was any indoctrination going on, it would be indoctrination skewed to the belief system that most hold here on RPF: extremely pro-America, mostly pro-white America (I live in the Deep South, formative years in the 1960s), anti-gay America (again, not very progressive Deep South), anti-abortion America, even anti-premarital sex America (or so they believed.) Yet, something broke down because we couldn't have gotten from there to here if we'd stayed the course. There had to be something else -- media, political parties, something...driving the agenda to allow schools to push that agenda, that indoctrination that goes on now. But media can't take our freedoms away, they can only influence. And schools may indoctrinate or educate; but they don't legislate. Only politicians can do that. That's where freedoms erode. The answer is clearly political parties and the monopoly they have on us....in my opinion.

Awesome-

You produce; I'll direct.
    Sounds great, give me a decade or two to become a millionaire and we'll get the ball rolling, bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Everything listed in this thread could only be accomplished because of the FAKE MONEY system we have.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I think the blame always comes back to the people.

No matter what system of government you have, or even if you have no government at all, if people exhibit no interest or willingness whatsoever maintain their freedom, they will lose it. Complacency and apathy are good terms for it.
    At the end of the day, this.

People do not want freedom.

They want to be fed, entertained and to exercise some petty power over other people.

Thus it has always been.

The only time there have been instances of freedom, have been when that small minority of people that do want to be free, have found the balls to seize it.

We lack that will in AmeriKa currently, and I am as guilty as the next man of lacking it.

So here we sit, under more surveillance than the old East Germany, with more people in prison than anywhere on earth, with cops routinely killing us, with regulatory fatwas and dictates ruling every aspect of our lives and a federal government that has asserted it has the right to kill us whenever it feels like it.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    Yes, I know (which is why I keep screaming that vouchers won't solve anything...but no one listens.)

One more observation: I went to school before the Dept. of Education existed (yes, I'm that old, LOL) The indoctrination you see today wasn't there. In fact, if there was any indoctrination going on, it would be indoctrination skewed to the belief system that most hold here on RPF: extremely pro-America, mostly pro-white America (I live in the Deep South, formative years in the 1960s), anti-gay America (again, not very progressive Deep South), anti-abortion America, even anti-premarital sex America (or so they believed.) Yet, something broke down because we couldn't have gotten from there to here if we'd stayed the course. There had to be something else -- media, political parties, something...driving the agenda to allow schools to push that agenda, that indoctrination that goes on now. But media can't take our freedoms away, they can only influence. And schools may indoctrinate or educate; but they don't legislate. Only politicians can do that. That's where freedoms erode. The answer is clearly political parties and the monopoly they have on us....in my opinion.
    I know not everybody's a fan, but Ayn Rand blamed it basically on college philosophy professors. The idea that intellectual academia actually does guide the mindset of a culture. I still buy into this.

When conservatism embraced anti-intellectualism, it handed the shaping of young minds over to progressives.

Conservatives need to engage with the intellectual and cultural elite, not by going to black tie dinners and handing them money, but by confronting them in the realm of ideas. The teachers of the teachers of the young are on the college campuses in tenured positions funded by the state or by progressive oligarchs. And by the way, they are the intellectual guides of all broadcast journalism majors too. It will take 100 years to win that back unless there's a fundamental sea change.

Conservatives need to get rid of their Dixie Chicks CD's, read some Kant and Joyce, look at some Rothko and Rauschenberg, listen to some Stravinsky and Coltrane, and get in the real boxing ring with the gloves on.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I think the blame always comes back to the people.

No matter what system of government you have, or even if you have no government at all, if people exhibit no interest or willingness whatsoever maintain their freedom, they will lose it. Complacency and apathy are good terms for it.
    You just +repped me for a comment I made about "What is Right" and "What is Easy". I believe the choice there applies to this situation as well. It is always easy to give up ones Rights in exchange for empty promises of govt "taking care of you". Problem with that choice is it is only easy in the short term.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    Sounds great, give me a decade or two to become a millionaire and we'll get the ball rolling, bro.
    Cool- or find an Exec Producer and we'll hit the ground running!
    There is no spoon.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    I know not everybody's a fan, but Ayn Rand blamed it basically on college philosophy professors. The idea that intellectual academia actually does guide the mindset of a culture. I still buy into this.

When conservatism embraced anti-intellectualism, it handed the shaping of young minds over to progressives.

Conservatives need to engage with the intellectual and cultural elite, not by going to black tie dinners and handing them money, but by confronting them in the realm of ideas. The teachers of the teachers of the young are on the college campuses in tenured positions funded by the state or by progressive oligarchs. And by the way, they are the intellectual guides of all broadcast journalism majors too. It will take 100 years to win that back unless there's a fundamental sea change.

Conservatives need to get rid of their Dixie Chicks CD's, read some Kant and Joyce, look at some Rothko and Rauschenberg, listen to some Stravinsky and Coltrane, and get in the real boxing ring with the gloves on.
    Also- what is not understood in the modern world is that diplomas were invented for those that couldn't do-the-do to prove they could. Now we spend years in school learning virtually nothing that could not be learned in weeks to make us all compliant to The Machine.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post

Good points. And I do like Ayn Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    Everything listed in this thread could only be accomplished because of the FAKE MONEY system we have.
    Indeed.

Ah, victim-blaming. How not-so-unexpected. :P You realize that by this reasoning a rape victim is at fault for her/his own rape, yes? :P Fail.
    Ah, victim mentality. Another reason why our country is in such dire straits.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Stockholm syndrome.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    other - in one word: war
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

It's not really a fail, no. As Ender alluded to, great minds have been restating what I said (more like I restated what they said) in one way or another since the days of the Roman philosophers and perhaps even longer, not to mention nearly every founding father in US history. They had a very low tolerance for sheep.

It sounds from your reply that you also want an easy button. In your mind, if you just create a system where rapists can't thrive, then you can stop rape and move on to something else, perhaps. Ironically, such a system can only exist if the victims take it upon themselves to fight back. If the victims perpetually avoid confronting the rapists, then who do you blame? They just don't want to be bothered with the responsibility, I guess, so don't blame them.

A better example perhaps, that won't excite emotional tendencies as much as the 'rape case' you mention, would be gun-free zones, and the prevailing mentality of the people who support them. It's pretty easy for us gun owners to look at the "victims" such as the residents of Chicago and assign blame to them for basically being stupid and neglecting to notice the pattern in the relationship between gun-free zones and crime. I don't see too many posts on this forum attacking gangs or lowlifes, because people here have accurately identified the crucial part of the problem, which is the fact that the victims themselves have established an environment which allows low-lifes to thrive. They welcome it, they clamor for it. They demand their gun-free zones. And, they reap what they sow. Simple as that.

A much more powerful message would be if the people of Chicago stacked the bodies of these thugs up near the city limits signs and said, 'Welcome to Chicago, play nice.' They would no longer be victims, and no one would dare blame them either.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 05-26-2016 at 12:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by surf View Post
    other - in one word: war
    +rep

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    people putting their faith in "intellectuals"

Thanks, bookmarking to watch later.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12