Thread: Bacon grease

Bacon grease

Every good Southerner saves their grease, heck even the good Yankees do too....

I've heard folks say they waste fridge space for theirs or even worse pitch it after some time...

I keep mine on the counter in a mason jar, top screwed down....

Whaddabout you?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Supporting Member
    North Wilkesboro, NC

keep a pint on the counter

I filter mine through a paper towel and keep it in the fridge. The tiny bacon bits in the grease will go bad fairly quickly, if you strain them out then I guess the oil may go rancid eventually but it keeps for a lot longer.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Well, where I come from the green tomatoes are fried in bacon grease. Among other things. Gramma always had a jar of it. I think the fatback grease, too, if I'm not mistaken.

Fridge for extra life.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I filter mine through a paper towel and keep it in the fridge. The tiny bacon bits in the grease will go bad fairly quickly, if you strain them out then I guess the oil may go rancid eventually but it keeps for a lot longer.
    I filter mine, too but I use a fine mesh strainer.

I leave it on the counter for a week or in the winter but in the summer I only leave it out a few days before I refrigerate it. I store it in a mason jar with a mayonnaise lid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I freeze it in ziplock bags and use throughout the year to season things.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't filter the chunks or nothing, leave it on the counter for years I Hawaii. Does bacon grease go rancid?

Quote Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
    I don't filter the chunks or nothing, leave it on the counter for years I Hawaii. Does bacon grease go rancid?
    Mine's just fine....

I switch out jars once a year or so when I make bean concentrate because I'll get enough grease to fill a new one.....

No filtering, no refrigeration....

Anybody ever do grease bombs? (not actual bombs, just a fun, but fairly risky camping activity) They are kinda dangerous I suppose. I'm doing this off memory of how someone else did it, so I'm not recommending it but just telling the story for entertainment purposes. If you really want to try it you will want to be extra careful, maybe try it with a smaller container first, or a longer stick. Also make sure there are no trees or anything that can catch on fire overhead, or anywhere within 15 or 20 feet of the campfire. We are talking about 20-30 foot flames, OK?? Pretty serious stuff, for crazy motherfuckers only. Check your local laws and regulations

If you cook a lot of bacon, I would recommend straining some of the bacon grease for your own use, then once you have a decent supply for cooking start saving your excess bacon grease (no straining needed) in larger containers like giant mason jars or whatever you have.

When you have a few gallons of the stuff, take it on a camping trip with a lot of people.

You will need one giant metal cooking pot, like 80 or 100 quarts. You will need one small metal sauce pan. You will need to a 10-15 foot pole (you can duct tape some broom sticks together, I seem to remember them being a plastic material, but to this day I'm not sure how those would survive the heat). Duct tape the small sauce pan to the end of the broom sticks.

Build a giant bonfire. When the flames comes down a bit and it's super hot, fill the giant metal cooking pot about 40% of the way with bacon grease. Place the cooking pot securely on the bonfire, make sure it is in a secure spot and won't tip over (again, I'm not sure how to manage this longterm as logs burn and weaken, but I've seen it done..seems like it would be bad if it tipped over, though). Keep the fire hot, and wait about 30 minutes or so until the bacon grease is SOOO hot there is a blue flame on top.

Fill the small sauce pan with water, and get everybody to stand waaaayy back from the fire. Start yelling "grease!!" and everybody else yells "bomb!!" a few times - Then you will want to pitch the sauce pan on the stick overhead from behind you, and throwing the water down onto the grease pot, then pull the stick away and move back a few feet.

These are fairly tame compared to the ones I saw:

Last edited by dannno; 05-11-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I generally just use it all up the same day. Cook bacon. Cook eggs in grease or cook pancakes in grease or hash browns in grease. Pour anything remaining over dog crunchies for the pets.