Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Trump to announce gun control this week

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    I would also have no problem with the state using police powers to stifle anti-libertarian activists, if that were necessary.

Now that you have attained the crown of Machiavelli, you "just" need to get power.
    Which you still have zero of. Even if you count money as power.

Machiavelli wasn't written for paupers, fool.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Using force of arms to stifle peoples right to free speech.
    Almost anything is potentially justifiable, depending on the circumstances. For example, suppose you're the ruler of a country (let's make up a nonsense word and call you, Oh I don't know, Tsar), and in order to prevent a coup d'etat by an organized revolutionary group which will kill twenty million people, you need to forcibly close down certain newspapers which promote the cause of the aforementioned genocidal lunatics. With those newspapers closed down, and twenty million people not killed, I will sleep just fine. How about you?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Almost anything is potentially justifiable, depending on the circumstances. For example, suppose you're the ruler of a country (let's make up a nonsense word and call you, Oh I don't know, Tsar), and in order to prevent a coup d'etat by an organized revolutionary group which will kill twenty million people, you need to forcibly close down certain newspapers which promote the cause of the aforementioned genocidal lunatics. With those newspaper closed down, and twenty million people not killed, I will sleep just fine. How about you?
    You wont sleep just fine.

You and your family will become worm food for it.

Didn't they just recently find what they believe to be the Tsar's daughter remains?

Yeah, 62 years to find their bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They do harm.

And any "aggression" I advocate is minimized to those trying to enter without permission, you advocate for its use against citizens in your "free" country and for using it against foreigners you want to "liberate".
    You don't have permission to sleep in your bed tonight; we neighbors had a vote, you know.

The community should be able to decide how it's governed..

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Almost anything is potentially justifiable, depending on the circumstances. For example, suppose you're the ruler of a country (let's make up a nonsense word and call you, Oh I don't know, Tsar), and in order to prevent a coup d'etat by an organized revolutionary group which will kill twenty million people, you need to forcibly close down certain newspapers which promote the cause of the aforementioned genocidal lunatics. With those newspapers closed down, and twenty million people not killed, I will sleep just fine. How about you?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

You don't have permission to sleep in your bed tonight; we neighbors had a vote, you know.

That's what you would do to your own citizens while allowing in those who would overthrow you and do worse, I would keep foreigners out and preserve a limited Constitutional Republic.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Gratuitous aggression!

Big words!

Your IQ must be above 110!

Do you need an IQ of 111 to understand the meaning of hyperbole?
    ...lol

That's what you would do to your own citizens
    Have the state tell them how they can (or can't) exercise their property rights?

Yea, son of a bitch, that's communism!

What we need to defeat communism is collective decision making as to who gets to use land..

Have the state tell them how they can (or can't) exercise their property rights?
    Or just lock them up and take away all their liberty.

Yea, son of a bitch, that's communism!

What we need to defeat communism is collective decision making as to who gets to use land..
    Keeping foreigners out of your territory does not make any decision about who may use land, anyone allowed in and any citizen may use any piece of land that they acquire the deed or other rights to on the open market.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You wont sleep just fine.

You and your family will become worm food for it.

Didn't they just recently find what they believe to be the Tsar's daughter remains?

Yeah, 62 years to find their bodies.
    Persons such as yourself are an unfortunate byproduct of the last century.

It's not too late to become civilized.

Books abound.

Or just lock them up and take away all their liberty.
    Those would be the immigrants who committed no crime but got kidnapped and jailed?

Keeping foreigners out of your territory does not make any decision about who may use land, anyone allowed in and any citizen may use any piece of land that they acquire the deed or other rights to on the open market.
    Oh, I didn't realize I was talking to Ted Turner.

Do you own the land in question?

...do I owe any rent?

Those would be the immigrants who committed no crime but got kidnapped and jailed?
    Those would be the citizens you want to lock up for saying things you are too afraid of to defeat on the battlefield of ideas with truth.
    Invaders who did not commit any other crime would simply be expelled in my country.

Oh, I didn't realize I was talking to Ted Turner.

Do you own the land in question?

...do I owe any rent?
    The nation owns the territory just like many other forms of collective ownership (remember when AF asked about Ford or GM or whichever corporation it was?).
    As a citizen or a permitted guest you would not owe any rent because I would prohibit property taxes and head taxes in the Constitution.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Persons such as yourself are an unfortunate byproduct of the last century.

It's not too late to become civilized.

Books abound.

Yeah. The censorship always backfires and becomes cause for revolution.

Fire in the Minds of Men. James Billington.

The Tsar was doomed because of the reality of what he was, and elitist despot who threw his country into an unwanted war, and then his press said nothing of the wounded or dead. But after a couple of million casualties, censorship can not stop the truth.

The truth will win. Try to destroy its manifestation on ink and paper, and it gains power. Because the truth is beyond printing presses and political forums and television shows.

And the truth is the tsar is dead. His family is dead, and if you were tsar, you'd be dead too. And censorship of papers would mean that it would more readily be spread via hushed tone and secret via angry mothers and sisters and daughters and sons whose father never came home in some war that made no sense to anyone.

Words are $#@!ing useless. But without them, the mind is caged.
    Go try and tell someone to shut up in real life.
    Instinct kicks in when someone you don't know tells you to shut up.
    Makes you want to talk, real bad.

Those would be the citizens you want to lock up for saying things you are too afraid of to defeat on the battlefield of ideas with truth.
    If it would do more good than harm to restrict someone's speech (e.g. V. I. Lenin's)...

...that censorship would be entirely consistent with libertarianism.

Invaders who did not commit any other crime would simply be expelled in my country.Anyone I don't like will be arbitrarily labelled an invader and put in a cage, because liberty!
    FIFY

The nation owns the territory
    No, bolshevik, it doesn't.

Individual property owners own the land.

And you are advocating for the violation of their property rights, because you fear taco trucks, or whatever your derangement is.

just like many other forms of collective ownership (remember when AF asked about Ford or GM or whichever corporation it was?).
    AF's so caught up in the culture war that he can't see anything else.

...e.g. the distinction between a voluntary pooling of property (as in a corporation, LLC, or partnership) and communism.

Yeah. The censorship always backfires and becomes cause for revolution.
    No, the loosening of the censorship at the insistence of presumably well-meaning but dumb liberals often becomes the cause of the revolution.

Fire in the Minds of Men. James Billington.
    Good book

The Tsar was doomed because of the reality of what he was, and elitist despot who threw his country into an unwanted war, and then his press said nothing of the wounded or dead. But after a couple of million casualties, censorship can not stop the truth.
    The Tsar was doomed by happenstance.

There was nothing inherently unstable about that government.

Russia, Germany, Austria, and Turkey all collapsed. Britain and France would also have collapsed had they lost.

...which they nearly did: God, I wish they had.

This past century would have had quite a different appearance.

The truth will win. Try to destroy its manifestation on ink and paper, and it gains power. Because the truth is beyond printing presses and political forums and television shows.
    Gentle George...

And the truth is the tsar is dead. His family is dead, and if you were tsar, you'd be dead too. And censorship of papers would mean that it would more readily be spread via hushed tone and secret via angry mothers and sisters and daughters and sons whose father never came home in some war that made no sense to anyone.
    All states war; only some of them (such as the one which succeeded the Tsar's) murder their own citizens by the tens of millions in peacetime.

If it's your intent to make a moral equivalency between the old regime in Russia and Lenin's regime, you're not a person in my opinion.

...in which case, there's no reason for you to hee-haw at me.

If it would do more good than harm to restrict someone's speech (e.g. V. I. Lenin's)...

...that censorship would be entirely consistent with libertarianism.
    It would never do that and even if it did it would conflict with libertarianism.

Anyone I don't like will be arbitrarily labelled an invader and put in a cage, because liberty!

FIFY
    LOL
    I advocate for the rule of law and there would be a law saying who and how many people were allowed to visit or stay, anyone complying with the law would not be expelled whether I like them or not.
    You are the one who wants to rule and cage people based on the whims of the monarch.

No, bolshevik, it doesn't.

Individual property owners own the land.
    The land ownership would be held by individuals as I have already said, territory is a different level of ownership and it is collective like a corporation and held by the nation.

And you are advocating for the violation of their property rights, because you fear taco trucks, or whatever your derangement is.
    I advocate for no violation of property rights but I do advocate for territorial control because I fear those who advocate for the violation of property rights.
    You advocate for a violation of speech rights.

AF's so caught up in the culture war that he can't see anything else.

...e.g. the distinction between a voluntary pooling of property (as in a corporation, LLC, or partnership) and communism.
    National territory is semi-voluntary because we are not born in discreet batches that mature just as the last generation dies but that doesn't make it communism.
    It does not determine the ownership of the land as a means of production and it is absolutely required to keep out communists who also happen to oppose national territory and desire globalism just like you.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Court filings are actions with consequences.
    No. Begging the court to do something is not an action, especially in a world in which breathless Trumpkins like yourself decide that Trump only means a third of the things that he says, and the rest are either lies or 44DD chess.

President Trump announced Friday that the United States will withdraw its signature from the UN Arms Trade Treaty

That is an action that ends a treaty that would have destroyed our gun rights.
    The treaty was never ratified. Trump's words did precisely nothing.

to do this by shifting oversight of the export of semi-automatic and non-automatic firearms, as well as of various gun components and some types of ammunition, from the Department of State to the Department of Commerce.

The Trump administration also plans to end State Department oversight of the publication of computer code enabling 3-D printable guns.
    "To do"

"Plans"

These are words which are used when referring to things that have not happened.

You know, like the lies that you tell yourself and others about troop withdrawals from Afghanistan. Those sort of things.

he would review policies

Reviewing policies is also an action.
    Like you, Trump is functionally illiterate. No one actually believes that he can or would review anything.

Also "would," again, refers to an action that has not yet been taken.

You know, like "he said that he would drain the swamp.". And then he didn't. But he said that he would, and that's all that matters to you, isn't it?
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

It would never do that and even if it did it would conflict with libertarianism.
    It very well could (there have been situations in which it has - as in Imperial Russia before the war) and this wouldn't conflict with libertarianism.

This is what makes me laugh deeply every time I log on or off this place.

You "woke" (if I may use that term) people have absolutely no $#@!ing clue what's required to maintain a stable government.

You're children.

The very existence of a state conflicts with libertarianism; it's all a matter of compromise: minimizing (not abolishing) aggression.

I know you like to redefine words such that putting human beings in cages doesn't count as aggression, but that doesn't change anything.

The difference between us is this:

--I'm willing to tolerate minor aggression to prevent major aggression.

--You're willing to tolerate aggression to make sure no tacos are sold in your neighborhood.

Only one of those positions is consistent with libertarianism.

The land ownership would be held by individuals as I have already said, territory is a different level of ownership
    It's a concept you especially developed to evade the obvious reality; you're treating the country as owned by the public.

Pinko

I advocate for the rule of law
    Unless the law is being administered by a computer program, that's meaningless.

All law is the law of men.

and there would be a law saying who and how many people were allowed to visit or stay, anyone complying with the law would not be expelled whether I like them or not.
    ...the law would have flexibility as to which particular individuals would be kidnapped and put in a cage - super.

You are the one who wants to rule and cage people based on the whims of the monarch.
    You are temperamentally (probably not intellectually) incapable of understanding, because you don't really want liberty.

You want: (a) democracy, and (b) ethnic homogeneity.

That's not going to work out the way you think it will.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    No. Begging the court to do something is not an action, especially in a world in which breathless Trumpkins like yourself decide that Trump only means a third of the things that he says, and the rest are either lies or 44DD chess.
    Court filings are an action in support of gun rights, your spin is weak.

The treaty was never ratified. Trump's words did precisely nothing.
    Trump's action to withdraw the American signature helped to make sure it wouldn't be ratified, both are required and removing one is certainly an action and not words.
    Your spin is weak.

"To do"

"Plans"

These are words which are used when referring to things that have not happened.

You know, like the lies that you tell yourself and others about troop withdrawals from Afghanistan. Those sort of things.

Like you, Trump is functionally illiterate. No one actually believes that he can or would review anything.

Also "would," again, refers to an action that has not yet been taken.

You know, like "he said that he would drain the swamp.". And then he didn't. But he said that he would, and that's all that matters to you, isn't it?
    The gun export changes did happen, I don't know about the military carry thing but I wouldn't be surprised if it did too.

Your spin is so weak that you just had to ignore this:

Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...mental-n727221

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Banned

Blog Entries
    No, the loosening of the censorship at the insistence of presumably well-meaning but dumb liberals often becomes the cause of the revolution.
    Symptom of a sick and dying government, not cause.
    Government is sick and dying because it started the censorship it now wants to unravel.
    Among thousands of other factors, that have nothign to do with the right to free speech.

Good book
    What wizard seeking such fire could abstain from the secrets within?

The Tsar was doomed by happenstance.
    as would you be. And reality and history shows I am right.

There was nothing inherently unstable about that government.
    It just collapsed magically.
    You do this all the time, you talk to me in hypotheticals and what ifs, as I talk about the realities.

God, I wish they had.

This past century would have had quite a different appearance.
    You'd be swimming in pussy, money and sweet freedom if they had, right?

If it's your intent to make a moral equivalency between the old regime in Russia and Lenin's regime
    I'm talking about the realities of oppression, war, and censorship. You are the one trying to bring morality and ideology into it, while feigning realpolitik.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It very well could (there have been situations in which it has - as in Imperial Russia before the war) and this wouldn't conflict with libertarianism.

This is what makes me laugh deeply every time I log on or off this place.

You "woke" (if I may use that term) people have absolutely no $#@!ing clue what's required to maintain a stable government.

You're children.

The very existence of a state conflicts with libertarianism; it's all a matter of compromise: minimizing (not abolishing) aggression.

I know you like to redefine words such that putting human beings in cages doesn't count as aggression, but that doesn't change anything.

The difference between us is this:

--I'm willing to tolerate minor aggression to prevent major aggression.

--You're willing to tolerate aggression to make sure no tacos are sold in your neighborhood.

Only one of those positions is consistent with libertarianism.
    Your lies are weak, I would not cage anyone, I would just eject them for invading, you would cage anyone that you were afraid of.
    You r position goes far beyond what is required to form and keep a stable state for the purposes of minimizing aggression, mine is a basic building block.

It's a concept you especially developed to evade the obvious reality; you're treating the country as owned by the public.

Pinko
    It's a concept as old as humanity that is also observable in nature and it is fundamentally required to preserve liberty from commies and tyrants like you.

Unless the law is being administered by a computer program, that's meaningless.

All law is the law of men.
    That's nonsense, a law is a set rule that society agrees to follow whether they like to do so in any individual case or not, you are yet again showing that you seek to justify rule by the whim of a tyrant by trying to pretend that the alternative doesn't exist.

...the law would have flexibility as to which particular individuals would be kidnapped and put in a cage - super.
    The law would not be flexible, that's the point.
    And those few who violated it would simply be ejected as opposed to the many people you would lock up in a cage because you disagreed with them and you are too cowardly to defeat them through debate.

You are temperamentally (probably not intellectually) incapable of understanding, because you don't really want liberty.

You want: (a) democracy, and (b) ethnic homogeneity.

That's not going to work out the way you think it will.
    You are either playing stupid or actually stupid.
    I want a republic with the rule of law and fundamental limits in a Constitution and CULTURAL homogeneity.
    It will work far better than any other system.

You want rule by the whims of all powerful and irresponsible tyrants, that's not going to work the way you claim it will. (which begs the question of whether you are just blind or are instead deceitful and intend it to work the way it will)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Symptom of a sick and dying government, not cause.
    Government is sick and dying because it started the censorship it now wants to unravel.
    Among thousands of other factors, that have nothign to do with the right to free speech.

No, read about pre-war, pre-revolutionary Russia. There was the Tsar, attempting various liberal reforms, as with ending the communal land ownership of the peasants (which was extremely economically inefficient). The nobles resisted this; this is a deeply misunderstood aspect of European history on this side of the water. People think the monarch was in league with the nobles; to the contrary, it was constant war, the monarch trying to eliminate their privileges. To put it in modern retard-terms; the Tsar was fighting the "deep state," trying to eliminate special interests.

HOWEVER, as the Tsar was trying to liberalize, against the objections of the very politically influential nobility, the "intelligentsia" (i.e. psychotic morons with no responsibility at all) were propagandizing and sowing as many seeds for insane communistic revolution as they could. The Tsar was far too lenient. Those who joined the various terrorist organizations, attempting to assassinate imperial officials, were occasionally sent to exile in Siberia, but that wasn't nearly enough. You must understand that "exile to Siberia" under the old regime was not a euphemism for a death camp. It meant you would live in a nice house, with good food, no work assignment: your punishment consisting of being isolated from the rest of the country. Lenin got such a sentence. He lived in a little house past the Urals, eventually calling his common law wife to join him. He later described it as the happiest time in his life. He obviously should have been hanged, along with all of his revolutionary associates. The great sin of Nicholas II was excessive leniency, as with Louis XVI. They mistook their political opponents for human beings with consciences.

You'd be swimming in pussy, money and sweet freedom if they had, right?
    More persons such as yourself would be able to survive and live well.

I'm talking about the realities of oppression, war, and censorship. You are the one trying to bring morality and ideology into it, while feigning realpolitik.
    You're jabbering about nothing..

Banned

Blog Entries
    More persons such as yourself would be able to survive and live well.
    Yeah, there is racism in the world, it is real, it is a real obstacle.
    YOU THINK RACISM GONNA STOP KANYE?

I am fine, thank you.
    Everybody has obstacles. Everybody has to pay taxes and other unfair things in life.
    I believe the utopia is today.
    This world is the best it has ever been, and it gets better everyday.

You're jabbering about nothing..
    very well.

Yeah, there is racism in the world, it is real, it is a real obstacle.
    YOU THINK RACISM GONNA STOP KANYE?
    ...?

What on Earth are you talking about?

Nothing I said had anything remotely to do with race.

I was talking about socialist revolutionaries and their idiot enablers.

I am fine, thank you.
    Glad to hear it

Everybody has obstacles.
    Everybody has to pay taxes and other unfair things in life.
    I'm suddenly inspired to sing We Are The World.

I believe the utopia is today.
    This world is the best it has ever been, and it gets better everyday.
    I hope you're right sunshine, but history suggests otherwise.

@Swordsmyth

Summarize your point in a paragraph, I'm feeling lazy.

Banned

Blog Entries
    I hope you're right sunshine, but history suggests otherwise.
    What other time would you rather be living in?
    Hey, what if, you actually were turning yourself into police?
    Like, giving a psychological profile of yourself?
    Everything you say is watched, and recorded.

You know, Winston worked for Minitru.
    One of the reasons I now enjoy his torture.

History suggests humans get better.
    No, it does not just suggest it, it verifies it.
    We progress, and continue to progress.
    And technology makes it better.

Deus Ex Machina
    Last edited by UWDude; 09-18-2019 at 12:37 AM.

What other time would you rather be living in?
    Entrepreneurial people accumulate capital despite the jackass politicians.

That is why you and I $#@! in a toilet rather than in a hole in the ground, among other things.

So, am I pleased to be alive in this particular stage in the long march toward socialism (contra a later stage)?

Of course, but I'll also be complaining about lost opportunities.

Eventually, the behavior of our government will not only slow growth, but cause negative growth.

If you're young enough, you'll be $#@!ting in a hole again.

Banned

Blog Entries
    If you're young enough, you'll be $#@!ting in a hole again.
    Rather be $#@!ting in a hole, then dead in one.
    You're right, I am young, old man.
    Ideas are immortal.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rather be $#@!ting in a hole, then dead in one.
    You're right, I am young, old man.
    Ideas are immortal.
    Ideas live as long as the people who hold them.

Do you know how ideas die?

The Committee of Public Safety selects the people who hold these ideas, and then they shoot them and throw them into the Rhone.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Hey, what if, you actually were turning yourself into police?
    Like, giving a psychological profile of yourself?
    Everything you say is watched, and recorded.
    It really is interesting from here to see what happens when the words flow.
    Using police force to silence an anti-libertarian activist, using the anti-libertarian activists' willingness to use force to silence opposing ideas as proof of their anti-libertarian activism.

The world might $#@!ing suck, but MP's they got to beat up Winston and his party bitch.
    Yeah, two bitch party members,one works for the ministry of truth, and the other is a member of the junior anti-sex league.

Moral of the story:
    If you find yourself living in 1984, dont be a party member, they get tortured.
    Dont be a prole, you cant. You aren't stupid.
    Join the Military police, and execute party members.
    This is the utopia they chose, in their ideology.
    Deliver to them their sweet salvation.
    Their burning nihilism at the stake.

XD

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast