Thread: College football playoff should be conference champ.

College football playoff should be conference champ.

You should have to win your conference to get in to the CFP. I hate the idea of voting someone in over a conference champ.

I'm really hoping that Wisconsin wins to see what happens. If they put Ohio State over Wisconsin after Wisconsin beats them on the field in what is essentially a playoff game, I'm done watching college football this year.

Win the game on the field if you want to advance. Otherwise quit having a conference game and a playoff and just vote at the end like it used to be.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    You should have to win your conference to get in to the CFP. I hate the idea of voting someone in over a conference champ.

I'm really hoping that Wisconsin wins to see what happens. If they put Ohio State over Wisconsin after Wisconsin beats them on the field in what is essentially a playoff game, I'm done watching college football this year.

Win the game on the field if you want to advance. Otherwise quit having a conference game and a playoff and just vote at the end like it used to be.
    Hypothetical -but should the current score hold up- would you put in the only team to beat the current #1 team? Even if they have two losses (including one where they got blown out by that same Ohio State team)? Or keep both of them out?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post

I see no reason for conf champion games , whoever has the best record wins . Every game is equally important.
    Do something Danke

The SEC is a minefield. They have five of the top 10 or so teams. It makes no sense to penalize teams because of where they are located. I would eliminate these conference championship games because they often add a loss to already tough schedules.

ESPN's computer rankings have Oklahoma number 9, despite winning the Big 12. Oregon as PAC-12 champ is 7th. http://www.espn.com/college-football...cs/teamratings
    The Sagarin Rankings have Oklahoma 5 and Oregon 8. http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Hypothetical -but should the current score hold up- would you put in the only team to beat the current #1 team? Even if they have two losses (including one where they got blown out by that same Ohio State team)? Or keep both of them out?
    I would take the top 4 out of the 5 conference winners. Still a little subjective but a lot more objective than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I see no reason for conf champion games , whoever has the best record wins . Every game is equally important.
    I like the idea of a conference winner but only if it gives you an automatic berth into the playoff. The way it is now, I agree, they should just skip it. I hate voting when it comes to sports. It reminds me of gymnastics or figure skating.

I think it's funny that during the game the announcers will not talk about it the fact that Ohio State/LSU/Clemson will still get in if they lose. I'm almost positive they've been instructed not to.

The SEC is not intimidated by conference championship games. They were the first major conference to have one.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

This is precisely why I watch Division 2 football.

The playoff brackets are more credible and the programs are far less pretentious.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Division 1 is not a playoff. The committee invites the four teams they think will generate the most money.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Division 1 is not a playoff. The committee invites the four teams they think will generate the most money.
    Which is why they expanded the bowl system into a mini-playoff- more games meaning more money. And if you are not in a major conference with lots of money, you won't get invited.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    This is precisely why I watch Division 2 football.

The playoff brackets are more credible and the programs are far less pretentious.
    It is good certainly.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Which is why they expanded the bowl system into a mini-playoff- more games meaning more money. And if you are not in a major conference with lots of money, you won't get invited.
    All Division 1 did was toss a bone to some noisy sportswriters who thought the SEC was getting too much attention. It was designed to give Ohio State a championship. This did happen in 2014 when the committee left out#3 TCU and #6 Baylor, who shared the Big 12 championship. But supposedly because the Big 12 did not have a conference championship game, they took #5 Ohio State.

Since them Clemson and Alabama have traded it back and forth. This year it won’t be Alabama. And hopefully won’t be Ohio State. Last night revealed some big flaws in their game.
    Last edited by euphemia; 12-08-2019 at 06:36 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong